3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

RAM speed affect FPS

illypso

Hi,

I was having issu with my FPS,(not realy an issu just something weird) I have a 144hz screen and Im using 120hz pulse to reduce motion blur so I wanted to get 120fps. (as close as possible)

I tried with low resolusion just for fun and even at 1024x768 i was not able to get 120fps with the other graphic setting to maximum

there was acualy not a big diference in FPS with the big diference in resolution,

so I was curius to know why.

My graphic cards (2 x gtx970 overclock to 1550mhz) and my processor (I7 4790K at 4.6ghx) where never at 100% to begin with at 1920x1080 (no bottleneck there) good fps but why where they not use to 100%. Without vsync or a 60hz limit the GPU whould be near 100% to generate the maximum FPS it can unless something else is limiting it.

At 1024x768 the effect was huge, the GPU where used to only about 50% and CPU was jumping everywhere but not higher than 50% too and still not having more FPS

I try playing with my ram speed (2 x kingston fury 1600) at stock 1600 compare to overclock 2200 there was a average of 11 more FPS. so the ram can be a bottleneck on GTA5 if you have a beast.

This is just to inform people of my test so they dont have to do it. Its not perfect test, I used FRAPS to recorde average fps on the 4 benchmark in the menu and 60second of the 5th benchmark.

I did it 3 time at 1600 and 2200. the low the high and the average where about 10FPS higher it give a good idea of the influence.

Of course I can have 60fps with max setting at 1080 but more is better and I was wondering why I was not having 100% use of GPU or CPU. maybe there something else but the ram seem to play a big role too.

tomoroy I will probably try to benchmark at full 1080p with diferent memory speed to see if the gain is the same.

Hmm never heard that Ram can affect fps.. yes it help games to run smoother and handle information etc.. but what ive understand it shouldnt affect fps. But nice info anyway. what u using to overclock ur ram?

Interesting results!

Its not news that RAM speeds affect FPS, but in most cases the difference is so small, its not worth talking about. For eg, a kit may cost you 100 quid, you could opt for a very fancy one that costs 3.5 times that and actually only have 1-2 frames extra to show for it, 99% of the time that money is better spent elsewhere.

Anyone adding RAM on lynnfield and older should pay more attention to latency figures. Recent generations however has shown clock speed is king. If your building a rig today and can get a clock bump on a 16GB kit rated for 1866 to 2133 for €10 more, then why not. Otherwise, money is much better spent on either going up a tier in GPU, or a GPU with stronger VRM.

let us know how the 1080p goes. would be interesting to know if RAM does effect fps for sure.

It might make all the difference if you're going over VRAM limit and swapping to system ram...

Edited by r0llinlacs

ThunderBanana

I remember about 10 years ago, I helped my grandparents upgrade their computer from 256MB of RAM to 2GB DDR2 (quite a jump for them, lmao), and I remember that the game I tested, Star Wars: Empire at War, went up about 20 FPS after we upgraded it. So, it definitely has an FPS increase, but I'd say today's games are less affected by it, being more CPU/GPU bound, though it also depends how a game is coded. That said, you probably won't notice that much increase in most games just upgrading from 8GB to 12-16GB, you're better off OC'ing the speed at that point.

I'm actually kind of surprised that GTA V benefits this much from higher RAM speed/more RAM in general, though it is pretty resource hungry ;)

Edited by ThunderBanana

thanks for the sharing,I'll try to OC my ram to see if any improvement.

it's running at 60 fps but sometimes dip into 50 while GPU and CPU usage are around 60 and 80.Lowered the settings but got no more performance improve.

That only will help those who have GPU with power remaining, for people like me which play with DSR 2560x1440 and single GPU at 100% all time changing ram speed will not affect fps. So no waste money if your GPU is already using all their power.

Is 1866 MHz ram speed good enough (its the stock speed) ?

I have 8 GB of RAM, Kingston HyperX Fury

Huskerboy42

Im playing with 1333mhz 8gb and it runs fine

Hi, I have a very similar system as you do and I was wondering how well you can run the game? What settings and fps?

Thanks!

The OP has a very specific setup which is allowing for this variance.

PSA: All your RAM speeds are (very, very likely) fine.

Same here.

If GTA really does run better with faster ram, it would be the first time I have ever heard of a game taking advantage of high speed ram.

RAM is more likely to affect load times than it is framerate assuming you have something at least reasonably high performance (I'd guess anyone with ddr3 would be fine).

Unless this game utilizes ram with a method of streaming the world into ram, rather than loading it all upfront, which is causing fps drops, it's unlikely that ram speed will even matter.

Well would you believe it. I've been having terrible stuttering / fps issues (down to 10-11 fps at times). Clocked the ram up from 1333 to 1600 , been playing solid for few hours not a single stutter and 40+ fps all the way. Needless to say very happy now. Thats 8gb 1333mhz @ 1600 mhz with FX 8350 and GTX 760 /2gb. edit: thats @ 1080p Vsync off.

Edited by rickd121

Huskerboy42

Well would you believe it. I've been having terrible stuttering / fps issues (down to 10-11 fps at times). Clocked the ram up from 1333 to 1600 , been playing solid for few hours not a single stutter and 40+ fps all the way. Needless to say very happy now. Thats 8gb 1333mhz @ 1600 mhz with FX 8350 and GTX 760 /2gb. edit: thats @ 1080p Vsync off.

Wish I could do that but my cpu doesn't support higher than 1333 (Pentium G3258) gonna get amazing performance when I upgrade to the i5-4590 at the end of may though :)

I did some more test at 1920 x 1080 with these setting

Refresh rate at 120hz

FXAA On

MSAA X2

TXAA ON

Pop dens max

Pop var max

Dist max

Text very high

Shader very high

shadows very high

reflection high

reflexson msaa off

water very high

particul very high

grass ultra

soft shadow sharp

post fx ultra

motion blur at 0

depth off

aniso x16

AO high

tess normal

Long shadow on

high res shadows on

high detail on

extend dist max

extend shadows max

Did 3 benchmark each. from start to end of the 5th benchmark in gta.

one test at 2200

Avg: 72.773 - Min: 48 - Max: 121
Avg: 70.606 - Min: 48 - Max: 121
Avg: 70.570 - Min: 50 - Max: 120

the other at 1400

Avg: 54.284 - Min: 30 - Max: 105
Avg: 56.722 - Min: 37 - Max: 103
Avg: 56.485 - Min: 34 - Max: 97

Big diference. it seems even more with the higher resolution

The GPU utilisation is also different, it seem the same with the CPU but with 8 thread its hard to compare.

ram_zpsituddfme.png

I would seem its the firt time a game is dependent of the ram or maybe thats only because my system is overpower for the rest.

Anyone with a simillar setup (2 x gtx970 + 4790K) but with some monster ram could test there FPS. that would be great because now I want some 3000mhz ram to get 120hz and finaly use my gpu tp 100% loll (I know if I use DSR to get better pic and it will use my gpu 100% but i realy want 120hz,or at least 100hz. its night and day with fast pace game like this)

RAM speed just like almost any other component can be the culprit if you are suffering a botleneck.

That said i can say I have 1600 ram running at 1333 (because at 1600 it gives me BSODs), and the game runs just fine, no stutter whasoever. PC is a i7 2600k @ 4,3Ghz, 16GB RAM @ 1300Mhz, GTX 660Ti, and I run the game Vsync'd at 50Hz. The FPS doesn't drop below 50 (that's the point of my syncying at 50 anyway). All this with Textures and PostFX on Very High, Grass & Tessellation on Normal, FXAA, forced 16x anisotropy, max 1 pre-rendered frames on drivers, and the rest of ingame settings on High. I also have SSAO and motion blur off since i visually don't like those.

Edit: Forgot to mention the game is installed in a secondary SSD currently dedicated to games.

Edited by Yogensia

If GTA really does run better with faster ram, it would be the first time I have ever heard of a game taking advantage of high speed ram.

Then you never heard of the Frostbite engine used in BF titles, you never heard of Thief and so on. It is a intrinsic problem of how all the benchmarks are done almost worldwide: usually, benchmarks are done in a GPU-limited environment, in case of BF, you hardly ever find multiplayer benchmarks. Furthermore, RAM tests are mostly done in lower resolutions to circumvent the GPU-Limitations, but then, of course, people claim that those test environment is far from the "real" gaming experience. Example: if you see a clear difference between 1333MHz CL8 and 2400MHz CL10 RAM at a 720p resolution using low graphics, you can easily argue if this is true also for FullHD or higher resolutions with max. graphics. But of course, if your GPU setup is strong enough, you can reproduce the results also at FullHD with max. settings. Furthermore, it seems that as soon as you OC your CPU, faster RAM has a more prominent effect compared to a stock-CPU. This also makes sense, as a i7 running at 4.5GHz certainly benefits from higher bandwith offered by 2400MHz RAM compared to 1333MHz, as the OC RAM provides 19.2GB/s while the 1333MHz provides "only" 10.6GB/s (almost only half of the OC RAM...). At least, several user tests showed that it also depends on the platform: while the socket 1150 platform using DualChannel seems to profit from OC RAM, the socket 2011/2011-3 platform using QuadChannel seems to have such a high bandwith already with standard RAM clocks that increasing the clockspeed does not help anymore. Makes sense if you compare DualChannel 1600MHz (2x12.8GB/s=25.6GB/s total) to 2400MHz DualChannel (2x19.2GB/s=38.4GB/s total) and QuadChannel 1600MHz (4x12.8GB/s=51.2GB/s total). So, even with 1600MHz RAM modules, QuadChannel provides you with 33% higher bandwith than 2400MHz DualChannel modules. There, you obviously can't OC the processor high enough that increasing the bandwith far beyond 50GB/s makes any difference.

Verdict: for a OC rig using the 1150 (or 1155) platform, OC RAM can really provide you with more FPS depending on the game and the settings. However, in most cases, a system does not benefit from OC RAM, either because the processor is not overclocked (and therefore does not "need" the increased bandwith), the GPU is only mainstream (with a GTX-750Ti you will always run into a GPU-limitation) or the software does not benefit from it. BUT, at least in my country, OC RAM is sometimes only few % more expensive than basic 1600MHz CL9 RAM, so it certainly does not harm if you buy OC RAM instead of the classic 1600MHz modules.

Hi, I have a very similar system as you do and I was wondering how well you can run the game? What settings and fps?

Thanks!

the game runs amazing. Im running on 1080p 60 fps with the most settings on very high. I didnt changed much about the default settings.

I overclocked my videocard with that msi program (not afterburner) and its running on 1120MHz.

High speed RAM is for people with more money than sense. As long as you have enough, RAM isn't gonna be your bottleneck.

I overclocked my ram from 1333 to 1600 and saw little or no difference with my 3570k @ 4.4 and gtx 970.

Then you never heard of the Frostbite engine used in BF titles, you never heard of Thief and so on.

I have only every played frostbite engine games with my ram at 1333 and never had any problems.

Then you never heard of the Frostbite engine used in BF titles, you never heard of Thief and so on.

I have only every played frostbite engine games with my ram at 1333 and never had any problems.

Do not confuse "having problems" with what we trying to say here. It is NOT the case, that those games do not work with 1333MHz RAM, the point is solely, that you get more FPS when running a OC CPU together with 2400MHz RAM instead of 1333MHz RAM. That's all.

Here some examples, as you probably ignore this fact as long as you do not see it with your own eyes (as usual...):

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/haswell-ddr3_7.html#sect0

As mentioned, Thief provides you with 12% more FPS comparing 2400MHz RAM with 1333MHz RAM. If you check the results with 720p (eliminating GPU limitation), it is even 20% more FPS.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1438222/battlefield-4-ram-memory-benchmark

Nice results from BF4 multiplayer. Using 2133MHz RAM, this guy got 190FPS instead of 121FPS with 1333MHz RAM. Percentage you can calculate on your own...

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=99059

Tons of other examples showing clearly the benefit of RAM clocking higher than the standard 1600MHz...

AND SO ON. If you search the net for more examples, you will find more. As the TS here seems to observe increased FPS in GTA5 with OC RAM, I am sure that he will not be the only one.

I guess since all the games I play run at 60+ fps at mostly high settings I have never felt the need to get faster ram, but I may look into that upgrade in the future if i start seeing more cases like this.

I guess since all the games I play run at 60+ fps at mostly high settings I have never felt the need to get faster ram, but I may look into that upgrade in the future if i start seeing more cases like this.

Well, you raise a valid point here: upgrade. Of course, it does not make sense in most of the cases to UPGRADE your RAM unless you can still sell the old one for a good price. It is more important that when you buy yourself a new rig, don't limit yourself to 08/15 RAM and go a little higher. At least here in Europe, those days the 2400MHz RAM is not that much more expensive...

BS_BlackScout

I overclocked my ram from 1333 to 1600 and saw little or no difference with my 3570k @ 4.4 and gtx 970.

Maybe because Overclocking isn't the same as a native 1600mhz RAM.

The game run fine at 2200mhz 10FPS upgrade show me the ram IS a bottleneck in my case.

2400 was doable but the ram timing needed was to high so it didnt made an improvement.

there is no big diference except for the +10FPS and +10% gpu,cpu use compare to stock, it sometime feel even smoother than before but hard to realy tell

GPU and CPU at 85% there is still some room left, Faster ram would probably help me but those 3000mhz are pricy...

My question now, I Have 2 x 8 gig memory. With the dual chanel thing if I put 4 X 8 gig will it be similar to a raid and be faster.

Probably not because if I understand corectly its already dual chanel into both memory slot already here. It would only make each chanel bigger and so it would not make a difference.

If the CPU and GPU is not at 100% Is there something else that can bottleneck the FPS beside my RAM or is it the game itself (engine) that cannot go to 120fps with the maximum setting.

Also I have a recent SSD for windows and another recent SSD for GTA and my temps are all good so no automatic downclock to save the cpu.

Thanks for all the input.

Edited by illypso