1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
RavingWithJesus

Riots Break Out in Baltimore

Otter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reign_of_Terror

It doesn't always lead nowhere. Sometimes things get a lot worse before they get better.

This is all to say that, before we sit around lamenting the 'stupidity' of looters and the fruitlessness of public disorder, we should be desperately trying to rectify the larger problems.

DareYokel

Not trying to be racist here, but it amazes me how the black community in America always cries foul over inequality and how disadvantaged American institutions and society is towards them, yet they turn around and riot and act like they're above American institutions and society.

That's what people do when they're fed up. People will react violently once they've had enough of abuse. And these people have had enough. The latest technological advancements like cameras on every corner only made it possible for the rest of the world to see what those people have been going through for years. It may have fast-forwarded the anger a bit, but they're expressing years and years of pent-up anger. It's going to happen to the "white community" sooner or later too. For example, another economic collapse is inevitable because Americans haven't fixed the problem that caused it. And next time I'm pretty sure that a lot of people of all races and ethnic backgrounds will come out to break and burn stuff. That's what people do. I don't see it as either right or wrong. I see it as an inevitable consequence of bad decisions made by the incompetent authority figures.

Big_Boy_Bmw760Li

My topic got locked since we have some characters on here, I will just leave this here.

I just want to start off by clarifying that I am 100% black mind you. And no, I am not mixed. So do not comment on here saying childish remarks saying I am a "racist" "want to be white" etc. etc.

So please let us have an intelligent conversation here; because it seems that the maturity level on this website is quite surpassingly scarce to be quite frank with you. If that is too much to handle for you, please do us a favor and don't comment please.

Anyways, I just want to say that I am completely ashamed and embarrassed regarding these protest that have been occurring recently. Especially what happened today. I just don't understand why everyone is trying to put race into play. This "black lives matter" saying is just simply getting exploited. But guys, let's use our heads for once today..were are all Americans here right? At least most of us. Don't all lives matter? How is this even protesting? From my understanding and looking at the news, people are robbing and looting stores such as this CVS. It seems that it is on fire as well. The reason I am against "black lives matter" is because we should be concerned for everyones lives not just one race. What about the staff that was working at CVS today? Their lives do not f*cking matter? Are you kidding me kid? Now these guys cannot go to work tomorrow because these people want to be idiots instead of protesting in a non-violent way. They are just as bad as these gay ass cops. (Not every cop is bad dude though ) People have bills to pay and children to feed and now they cant work because of this stupid fiasco.

Martin told us to judge people by content of character..not their skin color. Additionally, Martin also said something that I think most of you guys are forgetting. It comes from the declaration of Independence: "Every man is created equal".

Moral of the story is that for us Americans, ALL LIVES MATTER. Every single American life matters in this country you morons. We need to unite as one and put this color thing into the past. It's 2015 for the love of God not 1915!! We need to look at each other as individuals! Not "this my White, Black, Asian friends." Why does color matter if were American at the end of the day? People who bring race into this are just weird or have some type of weird disdain towards the white people of today (who had nothing to do with slavery, Jim Crow etc etc.) but it is seems that the finger gets pointed to them for no reason at all. Kinda weird....

All lives matter, not just one race. ;)

Lukejaii

It is clear when someone is in a position of power and will not be held accountable for their actions they will abuse that power. The whole justice system is a joke, from all scumbag police who witness police brutality but do not report it too the judges and jurys who find them not guilty.

You are scum. You condemn young men because you are racist. Land of the free? The only thing free to a young black man is a police beating.

Otter

Guys, try to keep it civil, please.

Shyabang Shyabang

More and more of the world is starting to lose it. Looks like no one is able to prevent police brutality, so we'll see more riots happen again in other cities. In the meantime, we seem to be getting one step closer to WWIII in some other parts of the world.

Edited by Shyabang Shyabang

DareYokel

Looks like no one is able to prevent police brutality, so we'll see more riots happen again in other cities.

It's not that no one is able, it's that no one who has the power to do it thinks that it's necessary. They don't give a sh*t. And because people are chronically moronic, they won't realize how important this issue is until it's too late. Happens every time.

TheMckeever

Judges can't lock up the dirty cops cause that'll effectively be giving them a death sentance. But anonyomous can ruin the cops lifes from as little as a badge number.

Lock n' Stock

What about all these other people killed by cops, many of which are white as well?

http://killedbypolice.net/

What exactly does that website have to do with the issue at hand?

It merely documents the occurrence of a death. That's all. Somewhat irrelevant.

I guess so. It just makes me wonder how one police killing can spawn riots and unrest while many other police shootings occur without.

Judges can't lock up the dirty cops cause that'll effectively be giving them a death sentance. But anonyomous can ruin the cops lifes from as little as a badge number.

No such thing as "Anonymous". Just say "people on 4chan".

Besides, majority of 4chan/8chan/whatever are rooting for the cops.

Edited by 860

Black_Jesus

Looking through some of the pretentious comments based on conjectures, emotions and simply prejudices. How can you group all those protestor as riots when you had gang members unifying at one location but at another the mayor allowing for school kids (khakis pants) and (out of towners) to take advantage of a situation.

I get it. Some of you like grouping all blacks as backwards or violence. I mean, in America, what has violence and looting (tea tax) ever solve.

feckyerlife

What does looting and destroying a family owned store have f*ck all to do with the police though?

It has to do with the police, because the reason this started is because police murdered a man they had in their custody.

No, the looting and rioting had nothing to do with Freddie Grey. There was something going on social media within Baltimore high schools about yesterday being their day of purge, like the movie. Notice all the rioting and looting started after High School got out for the day.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-freddie-gray-violence-chronology-20150427-story.html#page=1

feckyerlife

Rioter cuts a firefighter's water line:

This is getting ridiculous now.

i watched that live on cnn, they actually showed 4 different hoses being cut. here is a gif

Miserable%20piece%20of%20shit%20cuts%20f

I Love Anna Kournikova

I know most people dont care for Fox News but I saw this last night and thought it was insane.

John Smith

^And this, Otter, is why their stupidity is so often being mentioned.

Otter

You're ignoring the context of everything I've posted, Lucheesey.

But that's some straight up irl GTA

Dingdongs

The larger context becomes irrelevant when you have rioting like this, Otter. Pointing to the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution and comparing this to that, as if these violent riots are somehow justified, is ridiculous. Mark my words, if this continues after the 10 PM curfew, the National Guard and the Feds are going to take over the streets and shut this down. 200 arrests last night sounds harsh? Try 1000+ if this continues after the curfew. Order is going to be restored. You can either support this guy who died or you can support violent criminals. You can't do both. Freddie Grey's family made as much very clear yesterday when they spoke.

Edited by Irviding

Otter

...you think I'm saying the Terror was justified?

Christ you're a bigger wackadoo than I thought. Stop drawing arbitrary, simplistic, moral highground lines in the sand.

feckyerlife

The larger context becomes irrelevant when you have rioting like this, Otter. Pointing to the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution and comparing this to that, as if these violent riots are somehow justified, is ridiculous. Mark my words, if this continues after the 10 PM curfew, the National Guard and the Feds are going to take over the streets and shut this down. 200 arrests last night sounds harsh? Try 1000+ if this continues after the curfew. Order is going to be restored. You can either support this guy who died or you can support violent criminals. You can't do both. Freddie Grey's family made as much very clear yesterday when they spoke.

its ok, the gangs said no more riots

http://www.businessinsider.com/baltimore-gangs-call-for-peace-after-riots-2015-4

Baltimore gangs call for peace after riots

Two major street gangs have apparently joined forces with the Nation of Islam to take part in peaceful demonstrations and even try to discourage violence, a stark contrast to officials' grim announcement that the gangs had teamed up to "take out" police officers.

The below picture shows Bloods (in red), Crips (in blue), and members of the Nation of Islam (in bow ties) posing in a sign of unity. The Nation of Islam has been actively working with the police to quell the riots.

On Monday the Baltimore Police Department reported receiving a "credible threat" that several gangs were planning to try to "take out" law enforcement officers.

On Monday night, CNN's Marc Lamont Hill said he was "in contact" with street gangs.

"For the last three days I've been in contact with Baltimore gang members who say, 'We're putting together truces, we're no longer going to be fighting each other, we're going to organize and protest,'" Hill said.

"I'm talking about organized peaceful resistance from gang members, Bloods, Crips, other people who put their guns down and say we're going to organize for justice."

Baltimore gangs call for peace after riots

Two major street gangs have apparently joined forces with the Nation of Islam to take part in peaceful demonstrations and even try to discourage violence, a stark contrast to officials' grim announcement that the gangs had teamed up to "take out" police officers.

The below picture shows Bloods (in red), Crips (in blue), and members of the Nation of Islam (in bow ties) posing in a sign of unity. The Nation of Islam has been actively working with the police to quell the riots.

On Monday the Baltimore Police Department reported receiving a "credible threat" that several gangs were planning to try to "take out" law enforcement officers.

On Monday night, CNN's Marc Lamont Hill said he was "in contact" with street gangs.

"For the last three days I've been in contact with Baltimore gang members who say, 'We're putting together truces, we're no longer going to be fighting each other, we're going to organize and protest,'" Hill said.

"I'm talking about organized peaceful resistance from gang members, Bloods, Crips, other people who put their guns down and say we're going to organize for justice."

Hill further credited the Nation of Islam for helping violent gangs finding the middle, nonviolent ground.

"People like the Fruit of Islam, people in the Nation of Islam who created order and imposed order in the neighborhoods ... they were pulling people out of the stores," Hill said.

Images posted to social media have shown the bow-tied group members standing between police and protesters, dragging people to safety from burning buildings, and now posing with the Bloods and the Crips.

"When police were not there protecting the property of poor people the Nation of Islam was there," Hill said.

A Business Insider request for comment from the Baltimore Police Department has yet to be returned.

nystrong

The day I see the US military win a war by singing, praying, and marching is the day I believe violence isn't the answer. I'm sure threats like ISIS will be affected by that.

Sir Michael

Some idiot in the middle of a peaceful protest just got a crowd and a couple of CNN reporters pepper sprayed by throwing something at a cop... I swear, these "rioters" know nothing about common sense.

podbyrin

emmm. Is that Putin's work?! I dont hear anything about him!!!! IT IS 100% HE. PERSONALLY. Cookies has been sent from Moscow to Baltimor in red box with best wishes)))

Edited by alex8ball_BRATVA

Dingdongs

Christ you're a bigger wackadoo than I thought. Stop drawing arbitrary, simplistic, moral highground lines in the sand.

What? I didn't even remotely imply that. You stated it achieved results. I refuted that by stating its irrelevance to this situation, and that these riots are going to make the situation worse. What is wrong with you? Every response I make to you you get a gigantic hard on.

In other news Ray Lewis made a pretty good statement about it

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2446059-ray-lewis-speaks-out-passionately-against-baltimore-riots

Good point by Carmelo Anthony as well. This whole "blame the cops for the city's sh*tty level of social mobility" stuff is getting old.

Although, we want justice, let's look at the real issues at hand. For example, When was the last school built in Baltimore? That's just one example. - Carmelo

Edited by Irviding

Otter

You literally said it, Irv.

"Pointing to the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution and comparing this to that, as if these violent riots are somehow justified, is ridiculous."

I just grow tired of your cyclical arguments - saying something, denying saying it, contradicting yourself, calling me a douche for sticking it to you, or hell - even asking you a simple question that underlines your support of the police state over the citizens. It's exhausting. Everything creates change - justified, intentional, or otherwise. We should all be working to find a way to create change without guys like MTD getting their way and burning the place to the ground first....

But it's not gonna work without acknowledging that there's a fundamental problem. Because, I'll say it again, this is not the last riot we're gonna see in this wave.

John Smith

You're ignoring the context of everything I've posted, Lucheesey.

But that's some straight up irl GTA

I'm not talking.about whatever larger context you're trying to align a point with. You seem to be getting all upset at members on here rightfully acknowledging the stupity of these idiots. I'm sorry if it offends you, but I'm going to call a looting thug exactly what they are- a looting thug.

I remember the London riots sparked by the shooting of Mark Duggan a few years ago, and the BBC conducting an interview with four or five of the looters who all had their faces covered up. The correspondent asked them what their cause was/why they were doing this etc to which the response, as I remember it, was akin to "it's becoz of da govament, innit". None of them had any coherent argument to defend what they clearly had no idea they were defending in the first place. You know why? Because they were nothing other than uneducated opportunistic thiefs, end of, and should rightfully be labeled as such.

I must ask, Otter, if it were your place of business being robbed, or your house being burnt to the ground, would you be so quick to jump to the defence of these actions? I can tell you without a shred of hesitation that I sure as sh*t wouldn't be.

Are you actually able to debate Irv without ignoring the point of his arguments instead of selecting something that'll serve your apparent desire to respond in a condescending tone topped off with ad hominems?

Dingdongs

You literally said it, Irv.

"Pointing to the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution and comparing this to that, as if these violent riots are somehow justified, is ridiculous."

I just grow tired of your cyclical arguments - saying something, denying saying it, contradicting yourself, calling me a douche for sticking it to you, or hell - even asking you a simple question that underlines your support of the police state over the citizens. It's exhausting. Everything creates change - justified, intentional, or otherwise. We should all be working to find a way to create change without guys like MTD getting their way and burning the place to the ground first....

But it's not gonna work without acknowledging that there's a fundamental problem. Because, I'll say it again, this is not the last riot we're gonna see in this wave.

You're exhausting. Like I said, if I can have discussions with any other member on the site without problems except you, then you're the problem, not me.

I didn't mean to imply that you argued "Hey look at the reign of terror, they were justified dealing with injustices and it worked so this is fine too!". And I'm about 99% sure you're aware of that also, and are just calling me out for using th word "justified" instead of "successful" so you can get out of actually discussing the matter. What I (rightfully based on your post) stated is that you argued that riots in the past worked, so that this one will too. I stated as much and refuted it. And you did not respond to that, instead you moved on to something else, about fidnign a way to create change without burning stuff to the ground first. I agree with you - and the police and Mayor did do that. They had an investigation ongoing with preliminary results coming out on Friday. THat didn't stop these violent riots. You can't create change overnight. People, even the cop(s) who broke the law in their dealing w/ Gray are entitled to due process and a fair investigation. These rioters do not want to allow that to happen. That's all there is to it. If they continue this past the 10 PM curfew, like I said, Mr. Gray's death will be all but forgotten and these people will really see what police brutality is when the national guard takes full command of the city's riot control after 10 PM if it continues.

Otter

Cheesy ...are you looking for actual answers here, or only to satisfy the very thing you're smarmily (new favorite word) accusing me of?

Irv - I was saying that unchecked anger boils to a point where you will see a full blown, blood in the streets, civic breakdown if change does not happen. I did not imply that the result of the Terror was worth it. You simply inferred it and that is the very crux of my problem when people are arguing in rhetoric.

You then proudly spout sh*t like "will see what police brutality is", completely undermining any intelligent argument you may have to make on the matter. You seem to relish playing the role of an authoritarian apologist. Crush the rebellion in your fist, and all that.

Come on Stu - I'm waiting for the ol' AMF trifecta here. Come at me. :p

Dingdongs

Cheesy ...are you looking for actual answers here, or only to satisfy the very thing you're smarmily (new favorite word) accusing me of?

Irv - I was saying that unchecked anger boils to a point where you will see a full blown, blood in the streets, civic breakdown if change does not happen. I did not imply that the result of the Terror was worth it. You simply inferred it and that is the very crux of my problem when people are arguing in rhetoric.

You then proudly spout sh*t like "will see what police brutality is", completely undermining any intelligent argument you may have to make on the matter. You seem to relish playing the role of an authoritarian apologist. Crush the rebellion in your fist, and all that.

Come on Stu - I'm waiting for the ol' AMF trifecta here. Come at me. :p

And what I'm saying is that unchecked anger is misplaced. Carmelo Anthony put it quite well, as I posted above. People are blaming the police department for the fact that Baltimore has been a f*cking urban wasteland since the 70s and has not seen a single shred of progress. It's not the cop's fault that there is not a f*cking ounce of opportunity or social mobility for people in the city.

And that doesn't undermine my argument; it furthers it quite appropriately. It is absolutely true. If this A) continues past the 10 pm curfew time or B) results in the death of a cop, that city is getting shut down completely by the Feds and you can forget about any justice or progress.

Otter

It is hubris to assume that this is an isolated incident or that it is only about police. This is the second major American race riot in a year.

podbyrin

This is the second major American race riot in a year.

I saw a few normal white skin men. Skin control to the riot.