2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
lastmanonearth

FBI to FIB?

Micaam

1. Removing planes and clipping the Dodo's wings was a decision made under pressure. 9/11 had just happened and here's this game coming out in which players can already pick up hookers, slaughter innocent pedestrians and shoot rockets as police men.

This is a digression, but the Dodo's wings were hardly clipped that late in developement. If you look at the map from above, it's quite clear that it wasn't made to be flown across, as a lot of buildings lack roofs. The "Ghost Town" was also put beside the map because it was thought to be unreachable, but wouldn't have been if the player could fly. Also the game came out pretty close to 9/11, so there weren't a lot of time to change things around, concidering the making and shipping of discs.

Rockstar themselves claim* that the Dodo never was supposed to be really flown, and that most late changes were made pre 9/11, apart from the game's cover art, which were unchanged in the European version. Even my PS2 Platinum box has that movie poster like cover art.

(* Taken from the Q&A regarding the 10 year anniversary for GTA III.)

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/19981/grand-theft-auto-iii-your-questions-answered-part-two-911-the-gh.html

OT: I also felt the "NOOSE" and "FIB" were weird when introduced in GTA IV, but I've sorta grown accustomed to it. I think the main reason was to estasblish a consistent universe that slightly diverges from ours, mostly in minor details. Large organizations like FBI, CIA etc are parodied so that they can be taken to extremes and ridiculed more thoroughly. The Epsilon Program and Acceptthecaos.com are examples of how Rockstar try to be equal opportunity offenders and not just make fun of one aspect of religion or spirituality (or the lack thereof). I think the aim is to make such extreme versions of real life aspects that we can take a step back and realize that no-one's perspective is without it's fallacies. Either that, or they just try to cram as many jokes and parodies in as humanly possible.

TL;DR: It's just a design choice they made. Probably so they can get away with and make fun of stereotypes.

Tomern11

From what I remember, the FBI didn't sue, but they have asked not to have any kind of involvement to the game. So R* had to change it to FIB. Frankly, I think it's even better...

Edited by Tomern11

CarnageRacing00

It's a silly little joke that people are putting way too much thought into.

Again I say: people are digging for reasons to hate on GTA V. It's really sad.

That`s the kind of stuff that makes you sad? I just think it`s stupid to change the title since it destroys the immersion that you`re fighting the FBI. That would be cool, to blow up FBI headquarters.

Come on, you're playing a game which features a tablet with a hole for your penis.

It's hardly the most immersive experience as far as ingame names and brands go. Facebook is Lifeinvader, Microsoft is Facade, Audi is Obey, etc. GTA has always had this sort of attitude of not using real life things because by creating their own they have a wider scope and freedom to do what they want. I'd say it's actually more out of place if it took its real name because nothing else in GTA does. They even have a different president and different state names. That's GTA.

Vice City is set in Florida. Niko told Eddie Low that he's from Florida jokingly.

Tommy Vercetti sometimes says "dumb Florida morons" when crashing in traffic.

A pager message at the end of GTA III said "see you in Florida".

Rockstar plays fast and loose with their universe.

TheOneLibertonian

It's a silly little joke that people are putting way too much thought into.

Again I say: people are digging for reasons to hate on GTA V. It's really sad.

That`s the kind of stuff that makes you sad? I just think it`s stupid to change the title since it destroys the immersion that you`re fighting the FBI. That would be cool, to blow up FBI headquarters.

Come on, you're playing a game which features a tablet with a hole for your penis.

It's hardly the most immersive experience as far as ingame names and brands go. Facebook is Lifeinvader, Microsoft is Facade, Audi is Obey, etc. GTA has always had this sort of attitude of not using real life things because by creating their own they have a wider scope and freedom to do what they want. I'd say it's actually more out of place if it took its real name because nothing else in GTA does. They even have a different president and different state names. That's GTA.

Vice City is set in Florida. Niko told Eddie Low that he's from Florida jokingly.

Tommy Vercetti sometimes says "dumb Florida morons" when crashing in traffic.

A pager message at the end of GTA III said "see you in Florida".

Rockstar plays fast and loose with their universe.

In the 3D era it's clearly Florida. In GTA III, their was a sign in the airport "Come to Miami" that was probably before VC went into production. In the HD era, it's Florida as well, like I have said during Niko and Eddie Low's first meeting.

Nick1020

Probably the FBI sued them I guess? Also the military were removed because why the hell does the military chase one guy? Rockstar aimed for realism in the HD era. It's just that they handled law enforcement poorly in V.

Bullsh*t, there's lots of games witch involved the FBI/CIA/SWAT, Rockstar just wanted to make EVERYTHING a parody.

Also irl, if you manage to kill 500 cops and swats, i'm pretty sure the'll send you the army.

More like 5 or 10 as you'll be considered a terrorist

Nuke.

Shouldn't this thread be in GTA Series or the IV board, since the change is not first seen in GTAV?

Officer620

Its been the IAA and FIB since the III era. Remember mike toreno the guy from San Andreas Carl had to work for? He said he worked for the IAA not cia. I think swat was always called noose as well. I think rock star does this because of licensing. Its the same reason they don't use real brand names for cars.

Incorrect. It had been FBI up until GTA IV was released, which saw the change to FIB. Same with the NOoSE.

A point to remember is that SWAT was never changed to NOoSE, but merely replaced by them. SWAT teams can still be implemented into the game alongside NOoSE if need be.

Cheers!

Officer Ronson

The FBI doesn't like it's name being used nor their official logos, im pretty sure Payday also has it so it's Federal Bereu of Intervention instead of Investigation.

pen15itive

Well it might cause some "legal" problems between Rockstar and the government.

Yorpie

About the SWAT teams, back in early development of GTA IV they probably still were called SWAT. In the audio files for the dispatcher telling which unit to dispatch, one of them was SWAT.
So normally he says for example 'Dispatching a NOOSE team from East Hook.'

But the unused audio file is still there, so you can have him say 'Dispatching a SWAT team from The Triangle.'

But what I found really weird was that in GTA V they are still called NOOSE but in the audio files once again the dispatcher has a SWAT audio line.

Take a look at this video, skip to 0:13

This makes me wonder if Rockstar at one point during development of GTA V considered switching back to SWAT.

Also notice the FIB is still FIB, so like I said, they defenitly won't change that back, but perhaps they considered SWAT since they can use that without a prob.

Vertighost

The National Office of Security Enforcement (NOoSE) has Special Weapons and Tactics units/teams (SWAT) the mention of SWAT units in audio does not seem like any sort of mistake to me.

Ixnay

I don't get the "It ruins the immersion" idea. We all know it's the FBI. The only reason it would be "better" to kill them if they were called "FBI" is in your head, so that's... interesting.

How about, instead of buildings they put holes in the ground, with the word BUILDING written where each building should be. Why should you mind that? You would KNOW that those are buildings, so if they added real buildings it would be only better in your head... so interesting, you`re weird!

Not really, because holes in the ground instead of actual buildings is a far cry from some lettering on a jacket.

But this gives me an idea. I think I'll suggest to them that the next game not have any graphics, just placeholders. "Pedestrian." "Car." "Building." "Hooker." "Gun." Now THAT would be interesting. The whole game could be simply manipulating placeholders.

lastmanonearth

The US constitution offers us the "Freedom of Speech," so that`s crap.

pen15itive

Except for the fact that I don't live in US. lol

lastmanonearth

Who cares about where you live? The FBI is American and Rockstar headquarters are based in NY.

TheGoodSgtScooter

Who cares about where you live? The FBI is American and Rockstar headquarters are based in NY.Isn't Rockstar North not in America? And aren't they the ones developing the game?

CrisFormed

Because the FIB is the lie that keeps the truth concealed.

lastmanonearth

Isn't Rockstar North not in America? And aren't they the ones developing the game?

Those are the programmers but the executives are all in NY.

Doctor-D666

Who cares about where you live? The FBI is American and Rockstar headquarters are based in NY.Isn't Rockstar North not in America? And aren't they the ones developing the game?

Edinburgh, Scotland to be precise. Plus the Houser brothers are from London. Rockstar NYC ONLY handles the marketing, public relations and product development aspects. The only Rockstar studio's in NA are Rockstar New England and San Diego, both of which coincidentally were involved in GTA V. But REGARDLESS GTA was primarily made at North so for all intents and purposes GTA is a BRITISH videogame series based in a PARODY version of America. So yeah its entirely realistic to expect that things like the FBI and CIA would get the same treatment eventually even if at first they didn't.

Of course lets not forget III is 3D, IV onwards is HD and as its been said countless times they exist in SEPARATE UNIVERSES.

lastmanonearth

Of course lets not forget III is 3D, IV onwards is HD and as its been said countless times they exist in SEPARATE UNIVERSES.

I don`t much care for the new universe TBH.

Doctor-D666

I don`t much care for the new universe TBH.

Fair enough, have fun in the universe of insta-death the moment you try swim.... Yes i do remember swimming was introduced in SA lol. Im gonna stick with the HD universe which is hilarious as it is immersive.

Otselot

Again, R* didn't got sued by the FBI, R* changed FBI/SWAT to FIB/NOOSE because THEY WANTED TO, A CHOICE.

Plain and simple.

How is that hard to understand?

Edited by Rard-Life

lastmanonearth

Again, R* didn't got sued by the FBI, R* changed FBI/SWAT to FIB/NOOSE because THEY WANTED TO, A CHOICE.

Plain and simple.

I understood that, I just don`t like it because I don`t wanna kill NOOSE and FIB, I wanna shoot down SWAT teams and FBI agents! And they`ve gone so soft with the FBI that they don`t even appear on the 5 star wanted level, however critical the linear story may have been of the FIB.

Doctor-D666

Plain and simple.

I understood that, I just don`t like it because I don`t wanna kill NOOSE and FIB, I wanna shoot down SWAT teams and FBI agents! And they`ve gone so soft with the FBI that they don`t even appear on the 5 star wanted level, however critical the linear story may have been of the FIB.

You need help bro.... Seriously.

lastmanonearth

^Go shoot some sheep with a pea shooter you Kiwi peasant.

Doctor-D666

Ouch, was that meant to hurt or offend me? Please, you sound like you would fit right in with the backwoods country bumpkins of Blaine County with the amount of complaining you do and your "Murican Pride complex".

Officer620

ngbbs53174dabbc8c6.jpg

Cheers!

TheGoodSgtScooter

I don`t much care for the new universe TBH.Then why are you on the forums section for it?

lastmanonearth

A bunch of hyped up sheep f*ckers here! I`m so scared. You started it sheep boy.

I`m happy to let it go though if you two will stop spamming up my thread.

OT: Who didn`t enjoy the fact that in GTAIII you could have shootouts with FBI agents in their FBI jackets and black FBI cars? I can understand if someone doesn`t care one way or the other but to say that FIB is better than the FBI is just plain kissing Rockstar`s ass.

Doctor-D666

A bunch of hyped up sheep f*ckers here! I`m so scared. You started it sheep boy.

I`m happy to let it go though if you two will stop spamming up my thread.

OT: Who didn`t enjoy the fact that in GTAIII you could have shootouts with FBI agents in their FBI jackets and black FBI cars? I can understand if someone doesn`t care one way or the other but to say that FIB is better than the FBI is just plain kissing Rockstar`s ass.

Yes because everyone in New Zealand f**ks sheep. #Sarcasm. But sure i'll step away, i've argued with enough children in my life already.

OT. I already gave you FACTS that the GTA series are not an American MADE series of videogames nor are the primary people behind it American so the parody of its justice system makes sense.