2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
lastmanonearth

FBI to FIB?

Otselot

The real question is how come the FBI isn't named FIB? The name sounds far better IMO.

Agree, also I think IAA should have been CAI (CIA)

Nah I like IAA just the way it is :)

IAA is good but, it's missing something, it needs more rime, IAC? ACI? or AIA? damn.

Edward Nashton

Except there isn`t any such game that I`m aware of. At least not one that offers all the kinds of things that GTA does. But back on topic, you`re suggesting that everything needs to be parodied and false names should be used up the wazoo? Like what would you call America? The United c*nts of f*ckmerica? har har har

Unfortunately, no, there aren't any games like that anymore, The Getaway was the closest thing to that.

And,no, like I said in my original post, R* likes driving home that GTA takes place in an alternate world so they like changing things around, they saw an opportunity to change the FBI to the FIB and make a little joke of it while it still worked grammatically as an acronym, so they took it.

That's my guess, at least, for all I know Dan Houser got a knock on his door one night and...

Agree, also I think IAA should have been CAI (CIA)

Central Agency Intelligence. Sense no make.

Edited by Edward Nashton

Officer620

It's a silly little joke that people are putting way too much thought into.

Again I say: people are digging for reasons to hate on GTA V. It's really sad.

The transition from FBI to FIB was made in GTA IV, just for your information. It has nothing to do with GTA V.

On a related note - the GTA Wiki states the following:

- The FIB is based on the FBI. The agency's name is a play on words since fib is a synonym of lie, which probably hints towards corruption within the organization. This seems true as almost all of GTA V's story is based on working for a corrupt division of the FIB.

- More likely, the decision to rename the FBI as the FIB could have come from the real-life FBI insisting for them to do so (perhaps out of fear of a loss of reputation), and so that they could avoid being sued for libel.

This information does not have a source - so we cannot know for certain - but it seems like a logical and sound explanation for the change.

I think the change is quite welcome. It keeps the law enforcement system consistent. If there are parody police departments, then parody federal agencies sit alongside them nicely. The NOoSE are also a good decision, giving the game a decent parody of the US Department of Homeland Security.

These agencies are open to further development with the rise in terrorism in the modern world, giving Rockstar something to shape for the future.

Cheers!

HOW'S ANNIE?

Probably the FBI sued them I guess? Also the military were removed because why the hell does the military chase one guy? Rockstar aimed for realism in the HD era. It's just that they handled law enforcement poorly in V.

Bullsh*t, there's lots of games witch involved the FBI/CIA/SWAT, Rockstar just wanted to make EVERYTHING a parody.

Also irl, if you manage to kill 500 cops and swats, i'm pretty sure the'll send you the army.

The Posse Comitatus Act says otherwise.

Otselot

Probably the FBI sued them I guess? Also the military were removed because why the hell does the military chase one guy? Rockstar aimed for realism in the HD era. It's just that they handled law enforcement poorly in V.

Bullsh*t, there's lots of games witch involved the FBI/CIA/SWAT, Rockstar just wanted to make EVERYTHING a parody.

Also irl, if you manage to kill 500 cops and swats, i'm pretty sure the'll send you the army.

The Posse Comitatus Act says otherwise.

Yeah until they ran out of police men and swat team men, the'll send the army faster than a Buggatti.

Edited by Rard-Life

HOW'S ANNIE?

And in what real-world situation would a single man be able to take out every single police unit in the local vacinity? If someone's obviously that powerful I'm pretty sure they would be attempting some national governmental takeover and not wasting their time stealing cars and dealing drug.

Otselot

And in what real-world situation would a single man be able to take out every single police unit in the local vacinity? If someone's obviously that powerful I'm pretty sure they would be attempting some national governmental takeover and not wasting their time stealing cars and dealing drug.

I'm not saying that anyone can do that, all i'm saying is IF IRL someone takes down 500 unit of cops/swat, they will take action.

lastmanonearth

I'm not saying that anyone can do that, all i'm saying is IF IRL someone takes down 500 unit of cops/swat, they will take action.

It doesn`t get through to him. Some people lack basic imagination.

PhillBellic

It's a simple parody. Enough said really, given that members of that agency are less than forthcoming.

lastmanonearth

It's a simple parody. Enough said really, given that members of that agency are less than forthcoming.

It`s just that, it almost makes it pointless that they make the graphics almost photo-realistic when they screw up the realism by changing what everyone knows from the movies and previous games as the FBI to FIB and SWAT to NOoSE. It`s like they`re pissing all over the realism they worked so hard to make, but whatever. I just don`t want it to go further with like America being renamed to Murica or Ameristan or sumsh*t. Because where does it end? I find GTA III more immersive at times because there I`m fighting the FBI and not a bullsh*t made up har har Monty Python-like parody. I`ve made my point now and that`s what I wanted.

Edited by lastmanonearth

Edward Nashton

So the only type of game you can get immersed into are realistic games, you've never felt immersion playing a fantasy or sci-fi game? Parody aside, it sounds like that's what you're saying.

lastmanonearth

So the only type of game you can get immersed into are realistic games, you've never felt immersion playing a fantasy or sci-fi game? Parody aside, it sounds like that's what you're saying.

I like fantasy games for what they are but I like to imagine that I`m f*cking up real life when playing GTA. It`s one of the very few games that offers that kind of experience and it does it best. I don`t have a problem with them parodying companies, fake radio and TV commercials are funny, but the moment I see NOOSE or FIB written on those guys then the immersion takes a dive because I know all too well that that`s BS. You misunderstand the fact that I only want these to be like in real life so that it would feel better killing them (and obviously the country to still be America rather than something God knows what different.)

happygrowls

Actually the Military is sent after you in V. In the Paleto Score, so I guess it can be possible to get the army after you, but not in V. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

WorldWideFM

That`s the kind of stuff that makes you sad? I just think it`s stupid to change the title since it destroys the immersion that you`re fighting the FBI. That would be cool, to blow up FBI headquarters.

Come on, you're playing a game which features a tablet with a hole for your penis.

It's hardly the most immersive experience as far as ingame names and brands go. Facebook is Lifeinvader, Microsoft is Facade, Audi is Obey, etc. GTA has always had this sort of attitude of not using real life things because by creating their own they have a wider scope and freedom to do what they want. I'd say it's actually more out of place if it took its real name because nothing else in GTA does. They even have a different president and different state names. That's GTA.

Ixnay

I don't get the "It ruins the immersion" idea. We all know it's the FBI. The only reason it would be "better" to kill them if they were called "FBI" is in your head, so that's... interesting.

Yorpie

They did it to avoid trouble with the real FBI.

The reason why they changed SWAT is beyond me though, SWAT is not an organisation unlike FBI. I guess they want to make a parody of everything.

They are not going to change police though ^^ Police does not refer to any organisation, its just a word. If they would change that they might as well start creating their own language.

lastmanonearth

I don't get the "It ruins the immersion" idea. We all know it's the FBI. The only reason it would be "better" to kill them if they were called "FBI" is in your head, so that's... interesting.

How about, instead of buildings they put holes in the ground, with the word BUILDING written where each building should be. Why should you mind that? You would KNOW that those are buildings, so if they added real buildings it would be only better in your head... so interesting, you`re weird!

They are not going to change police though ^^ Police does not refer to any organisation, its just a word. If they would change that they might as well start creating their own language.

I hope you`re right, and thanks for a serious reply without snarky sarcasm. I just hope they don`t change the L.S.P.D to L.S.P.T.S.D or something.

Edited by lastmanonearth

Yorpie

How about, instead of buildings they put holes in the ground, with the word BUILDING written where each building should be. Why should you mind that? You would KNOW that those are buildings, so if they added real buildings it would be only better in your head... so interesting, you`re weird!

I hope you`re right, and thanks for a serious reply without snarky sarcasm. I just hope they don`t change the L.S.P.D to L.S.P.T.S.D or something.

That is one of the few things I'm sure off Rockstar won't do ;) If they would, they might as well change the cops to some ass scratching aliens eating cupcakes all day long who start singing your most hated song when you have a wanted level.

I was surprised NOOSE remained like that though. LAPD was one of the first police depts to have a SWAT team, I believe second after Philadelphia Police Department, correct me if I'm wrong. And since SWAT is just an acronym which may be used by any police dept, there would be no problem for R* to use it.

On the other hand I think its pretty stupid the FBI would start freaking out on R* for using FBI ingame. I mean, other games can use it with no problem. Yes Payday 2, I'm looking at you ;)

lastmanonearth

^It`s weird as hell. I`m pretty sure that Rainbow Team 6 don`t receive any royalties from Tom Clancy`s videogame, and even if the FBI wanted to sue Rockstar, the spending of the public funds on a trivial court case like that would be widely publicized as questionable use of taxpayer money. I`m leaning more toward the idea that Rockstar did it just because they can, for the heck of it. har har har

TheOneLibertonian

That`s the kind of stuff that makes you sad? I just think it`s stupid to change the title since it destroys the immersion that you`re fighting the FBI. That would be cool, to blow up FBI headquarters.

Come on, you're playing a game which features a tablet with a hole for your penis.

It's hardly the most immersive experience as far as ingame names and brands go. Facebook is Lifeinvader, Microsoft is Facade, Audi is Obey, etc. GTA has always had this sort of attitude of not using real life things because by creating their own they have a wider scope and freedom to do what they want. I'd say it's actually more out of place if it took its real name because nothing else in GTA does. They even have a different president and different state names. That's GTA.

Vice City is set in Florida. Niko told Eddie Low that he's from Florida jokingly.

lastmanonearth

Vice City is set in Florida. Niko told Eddie Low that he's from Florida jokingly.

I think it`s because, I`m sorry to say it but Florida is already a joke.

DaWiesel

Should be moved to the GTA series section, they changed it in IV, not in V. And still, I don't see any problem with it. Someone with half a brain knows it's meant to be FIB, same as Sprunk being Sprite and BAWSAQ being NASDAQ in real life.

lastmanonearth

Someone with half a brain knows

Then you`re the perfect man to tell us!

Bxx

The reason for the change is classified information.

You are now under government surveillance. Any further questioning will result in your immediate arrest.

Cheers!

Why?

Officer620

The reason for the change is classified information.

You are now under government surveillance. Any further questioning will result in your immediate arrest.

Cheers!

Why?

The reason for the immediate arrest is classified information.

Cheers!

Edited by Officer620

Lethal Vaccine

FIB - fib, which means a lie...

Osho

The way Rockstar insists some aspects to be "realistic" is perhaps more of a curse for killing an already perfectly fun feature. If anything, there is always a room for improvements further instead as f goddamn straight scrap it.

- like the removal of vigilante mode

- ... gang turf and wars

- ... etcetra

Moreover, ONLINE takes away the best share from the experience and leaving a boring and short experience, full of *yawns* side stuff, and inaccessible interiors for the single-players.

For the topic, I think they wanted to go with the name FIB to avoid being troubled through legal matters, unless the permission granted by the FBI themselves.

SmokesWithCigs

Its been the IAA and FIB since the III era. Remember mike toreno the guy from San Andreas Carl had to work for? He said he worked for the IAA not cia. I think swat was always called noose as well. I think rock star does this because of licensing. Its the same reason they don't use real brand names for cars.

Nick930930

Just want to put this out there.

The military does respond to excessive acts of unrest in a city. The national guard was deployed to Baltimore last night to respond to the looters, robberies, and riots.

So yes.. in theory... if Franklin Clinton went on a rampage in the city and killed multiple cops... you better f***ing believe the military would respond.

Edited by Nick930930

TheGoodSgtScooter

It`s just that, it almost makes it pointless that they make the graphics almost photo-realistic when they screw up the realism by changing what everyone knows from the movies and previous games as the FBI to FIB and SWAT to NOoSE. It`s like they`re pissing all over the realism they worked so hard to make, but whatever. I just don`t want it to go further with like America being renamed to Murica or Ameristan or sumsh*t. Because where does it end? I find GTA III more immersive at times because there I`m fighting the FBI and not a bullsh*t made up har har Monty Python-like parody. I`ve made my point now and that`s what I wanted.What do you not grasp here? GTA is a parody. FIB is a parody of FBI. It is supposed to be a somewhat comedic game. It's supposed to be serious. It's not L.A. Noire, or Max Payne. It's GTA. Do you also want it to be Los Angeles and L.A.P.D.? They won't rename the country it's set in, you're scared about nothing.