2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
lastmanonearth

FBI to FIB?

lastmanonearth

Why? Does anyone have any idea why they`d change the name from the III era games, which had the real title FBI? The same way that in IV they changed SWAT to NOOSE. Why the f*ck? Also they removed any military involvement from the game, they just sit there looking pretty instead of going after you on 6 stars... but that`s another topic. Have Rockstar gone soft on us? Or is it some form of "Rockstar humor?" What`s next, the police will be the "schmolice??" It`s not as immersive as it used to be in III.

TheOneLibertonian

Probably the FBI sued them I guess? Also the military were removed because why the hell does the military chase one guy? Rockstar aimed for realism in the HD era. It's just that they handled law enforcement poorly in V.

Edited by The_Ghost

The Deadite

my guess:

satire.

they show the FIB as a bunch of inneficient and corrupt dicks, if you change the name, is just a parody instead of a criticism, much like Los Santos or Liberty City are parodies of Los Angeles and New York.

they can play more with the idea, besides, gta is not meant to be a 100% accurate representation of real life.

Otselot

Probably the FBI sued them I guess? Also the military were removed because why the hell does the military chase one guy? Rockstar aimed for realism in the HD era. It's just that they handled law enforcement poorly in V.

Bullsh*t, there's lots of games witch involved the FBI/CIA/SWAT, Rockstar just wanted to make EVERYTHING a parody.

Also irl, if you manage to kill 500 cops and swats, i'm pretty sure the'll send you the army.

Edited by Rard-Life

lastmanonearth

Bullsh*t, there's lots of games witch involved the FBI/CIA/SWAT, Rockstar just wanted to make EVERYTHING a parody.

Also irl, if you manage to kill 500 cops and swats, i'm pretty sure the'll send you the army.

Well the army were deployed on 9/11.

TheOneLibertonian

Maybe I think it's absolutely bullsh*t. I just guessed it. GTA is basically a satire of modern America. Rockstar just wanted to speak their opinion about corrupt agencies. Well GTA is always the center for controversy by every other Fox News reporter to politicians like Hilary Clinton. So most people are biased against GTA. It's unfair you know.

Well the army were deployed on 9/11.

At least 9/11 was an international terrorist attack, unlike in GTA, you are just wrecking havok on the streets of LS and LC. Nothing major like destroying a national landmark. Most people who went on rampages and major crime like the North Hollywood Shootout back then only deployed cops and SWAT. But let's not talk about 9/11 anymore. It's a horrible international incident. It's kinda disturbing you know.

BoostedTurtle

Either sarcasm , or they dont want to get sued. or who knows maybe from what happen in NY back in 2001 they changed it due to that. I also herd that the twin towers was gonna be in gta 3 but due to the incident they removed it and a few other things from the game such as there was a mission with the flyable plane in gta iii but they removed the mission and left the plane.

Officer620

The reason for the change is classified information.

You are now under government surveillance. Any further questioning will result in your immediate arrest.

Cheers!

CarnageRacing00

Probably because someone at some point had a thought "Hey, you know what would be funny? If we changed FBI to FIB!", and so they did it.

Shadowfennekin

I think it was a way to avoid even more criticism. With pricks like Steve Haines in the FIB would the FBI really want him associated with them>

lastmanonearth

At least 9/11 was an international terrorist attack, unlike in GTA, you are just wrecking havok on the streets of LS and LC. Nothing major like destroying a national landmark. Most people who went on rampages and major crime like the North Hollywood Shootout back then only deployed cops and SWAT. But let's not talk about 9/11 anymore. It's a horrible international incident. It's kinda disturbing you know.

I don`t think it had to do with the fact that those were landmarks as much as that thousands of people were killed. At any rate, sooner or later you`d practically run out of cops to throw at someone who keeps shooting them like fish in a barrel.

TheOneLibertonian

I don`t think it had to do with the fact that those were landmarks as much as that thousands of people were killed. At any rate, sooner or later you`d practically run out of cops to throw at someone who keeps shooting them like fish in a barrel.

But still, the military won't send an entire platoon to kill one guy. But I really miss the havoc that these guys do during the 3D era.

CarnageRacing00

1. Removing planes and clipping the Dodo's wings was a decision made under pressure. 9/11 had just happened and here's this game coming out in which players can already pick up hookers, slaughter innocent pedestrians and shoot rockets as police men. The ability to fly planes into the twin towers to recreate 9/11 would have just been way over the top and Rockstar would have had a very hard time getting the game onto store shelves. It was a wise business decision. You have to understand - the largest terrorist attack in American history, we were all scared to death and very sensitive, it was a horrible time and lots of crazy sh*t was happening.

2. They didn't change it from FBI to FIB for any other reason than they thought FIB was funny (fib = lie, FBI lies to us, so FIB, har har get it?). Just because it wasn't FIB in past games doesn't mean it's not allowed to change.

lastmanonearth

2. They didn't change it from FBI to FIB for any other reason than they thought FIB was funny (fib = lie, FBI lies to us, so FIB, har har get it?). Just because it wasn't FIB in past games doesn't mean it's not allowed to change.

Yeah I get it, it`s their famous Bri`ish hyu-ma. har har indeed.

Edward Nashton

It reinforces the idea that the games take place in an alternate universe, why don't they call Liberty City New York or Los Santos Los Angeles and so on - it's a different reality from our own, so some things are different like that.

Craigsters

it's a play on words, when I was a kid we'd call a lie a fib, basically rockstar said the FBI are liers

CarnageRacing00

It's a silly little joke that people are putting way too much thought into.

Again I say: people are digging for reasons to hate on GTA V. It's really sad.

BigBadMF

FBI= f*cking Bunch of Idiots

lastmanonearth

That`s the kind of stuff that makes you sad? I just think it`s stupid to change the title since it destroys the immersion that you`re fighting the FBI. That would be cool, to blow up FBI headquarters.

TheGoodSgtScooter

That`s the kind of stuff that makes you sad? I just think it`s stupid to change the title since it destroys the immersion that you`re fighting the FBI. That would be cool, to blow up FBI headquarters.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch liiiiiiiiist.

OT: Who honestly cares? Do you want them to be the L.A.P.D as well?

lastmanonearth

Not necessarily but I don`t want them to change the "P.D." to "P.O.S" or something. har har!

BTW to the FBI: I really DON`T want to blow up your headquarters! Only in GTA. Just so we get that straight.

Edited by lastmanonearth

Zello

Not necessarily but I don`t want them to change the "P.D." to "P.O.S" or something. har har!

BTW to the FBI: I really DON`T want to blow up your headquarters! Only in GTA. Just so we get that straight.

juwgn4.jpg

Brock Elvis

The reason for the change is classified information.

You are now under government surveillance. Any further questioning will result in your immediate arrest.

Cheers!

Why will I be incarcerated for inquiring further into this matter?

TheGoodSgtScooter

FIB = Federal Investigation Bureau.

FBI = Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Makes sense for a parody.

lastmanonearth

FIB = Federal Investigation Bureau.

FBI = Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Makes sense for a parody.

I don`t know if I wanted a parody as opposed to an accurate representation of the real world in which I can do stuff that I can`t do in the real world.

Edward Nashton

^Yeah, but everything in the game is a parody/pastiche/caricature, it wouldn't fit with the rest of the world they've created if they left it as the FBI, the 3D universe wasn't quite as fleshed out so they got away with it. The parody and homages are as Grand Theft Auto as the hookers, gangs and... well, the act of stealing cars, it's a consistent element of the series. If you want something that takes place in an accurate representation of the "real world" then you're looking for another game altogether.

Edited by Edward Nashton

LordRaijin

The real question is how come the FBI isn't named FIB? The name sounds far better IMO.

Otselot

The real question is how come the FBI isn't named FIB? The name sounds far better IMO.

Agree, also I think IAA should have been CAI (CIA)

lastmanonearth

^Yeah, but everything in the game is a parody/pastiche/caricature, it wouldn't fit with the rest of the world they've created if they left it as the FBI, the 3D universe wasn't quite as fleshed out so they got away with it. The parody and homages are as Grand Theft Auto as the hookers, gangs and... well, the act of stealing cars, it's a consistent element of the series. If you want something that takes place in an accurate representation of the "real world" then you're looking for another game altogether.

Except there isn`t any such game that I`m aware of. At least not one that offers all the kinds of things that GTA does. But back on topic, you`re suggesting that everything needs to be parodied and false names should be used up the wazoo? Like what would you call America? The United c*nts of f*ckmerica? har har har

LordRaijin

Agree, also I think IAA should have been CAI (CIA)

Nah I like IAA just the way it is :)