3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why does it look this bad?

AgentLemon

My rig:

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3492.05 MHz)
Memory: 16343 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit (Build 9600)
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

I'm running the game at 2560x1440, x2 MSAA and x8 Reflection MSAA..

tvexGnd.jpg

Why does it look soo choppy?

RyanBurnsRed

No idea man...both the anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering are really bad.

ryanburnsred.gif

Mine looks better at 1080p with just fxaa on. No idea about that.

This is mine with 1080P and just FXAA on..

HebSFh0.jpg

Sleepy Dude

you need at least x4 msaa to look better than that. if you had it, i would recommend mfaa. it looks as good as x4msaa without the performance hit.

• Like 2

Probably need to crank the AA to 16, and MSAA to x4. I noticed that if I use less than 16 AA; jaggies, even with MSAA turned up. Not sure though, I have everything turned on and mine looks fantastic...no jaggies at 1080p.

Probably need to crank the AA to 16, and MSAA to x4. I noticed that if I use less than 16 AA; jaggies, even with MSAA turned up. Not sure though, I have everything turned on and mine looks fantastic...no jaggies at 1080p.

What do u mean AA to 16? via the nvidia control panel or?

lastmanonearth

I wouldn`t call that looking bad at all, and I`m not even a big fan of V. lol

It`s my experience though that graphics generally look more pixel-y on PCs than they do on consoles, if you`re not using mods that is.

Relative007

Have not played the PC Version, but looking at the first still it is only (visually) slightly better looking than the PS4 Version (although you should be getting a solid 60 FPS with your rig which makes a big difference)...Given this, I would expect it can be optimized to look a lot better as it should be capable of being so with that rig.

Edited by Relative007

That looks bad?

b40ec26e8c354034939310485b0054ab.png

Yes...

I hate to be that one guy, but geez dude...

Play the game and enjoy the game for what it is instead of looking for jagged lines as if is the only thing that matter.

• Like 3

He's on 8x AF at least on the last shot. 8x I recommend for 1080p, but you can easily get away with 16 with a negligible hit, so go for it if the strong sharpness doesn't bug you up close, it is negligible in performance impact for most chips. It looks good however. Something is thick and bright about the lighting, though. Turn down your brightness in Options -> Settings -> Display. It will look better, if it doesn't, calibrate your monitor. You might not assume it, but the calibration of your monitor is paramount. The image looks great, but it also *almost* looks like you're in a less-sharp "focus chase cam" mode which is a higher contrast look. I kinda wish chase cam/focus cam mode was default in some lighting scenarios - anyway, sorry to digress - Calibrate your monitor, and then edit the brightness in the display settings. The WHITEST two blocks should be SLIGHTLY distinguishable - if they are, the rest is as well, provided you've calibrated your monitor for optimal image quality first. You might even already be calibrated, just need to edit brightness in-game then. Right now you're a little bright and a little washed out right now, and your screenshot shows the software [gta v) is off-setting when I view your screenshot on a different monitor that has been calibrated with a meter, so the monitor might need to be adjusted, too, and should be checked if it's been a while and any chance of not being spot-on. I see something different than you in that screenshot, for sure. Darkening a little should round you out more, and, even though it's not the expected result and seems counter-intuitive, the image comes together better and you see it with more depth.

I *think* your monitor is too dark, so your calibration is too bright. It's a mind f*ck because it's contrast and brightness * 2 then * 4 or something to try to explain it, so I won't even try, but you just go calibrate that monitor, and then weigh the two brightest blocks on the right of the display -> Brightness setting. With a better contrast and lower brightness on your monitor, I think your screenshot will come out better, and your experience would parallel it of course (I might be wrong in terms of describing your scenario cause it's a mind f*ck trying to explain between what I see and what you're seeing and this screenshot and how I know your GTA is too bright - just calibrate the monitor, then, calibrate GTA).

The Rockstar logo should be slightly* visible. Dunno if their menu is a typo or not. Should be Slightly visible for sure. I made a screenshot, if this is looking bad to you, then you need just to calibrate your monitor, that's easy with the link. You should really see the depth here, and it should look really like night time, and the lights on the ground should be soft but bright but the moonlight on the snow should be not too bright either - if it looks too dark or "bright black" like a lit up black anywhere, calibrate monitor:

HaUH8tl.jpg

Edited by CrisFormed

My rig:

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3492.05 MHz)

Memory: 16343 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit (Build 9600)

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

I'm running the game at 2560x1440, x2 MSAA and x8 Reflection MSAA..

tvexGnd.jpg

Why does it look soo choppy?

You probably have some settings on in the Nvidia controlpanel manage 3d settings, that messes up your in game anti alieasing.

SuperSpartan747

Unless Nvidia's guide to GTA V optimization is BS, I personally found that, while looking through all the anti-aliasing comparisons, no single anti-aliasing option in this game is the universal "best" option. To me, they honestly all just look different, and you should pick the one that you think looks the best. To me, TXAA looks best in this game, either 2x or 4x but I have mine set to 2x since it seems to increase performance slightly without any major picture quality difference. I have MFAA and FXAA on along with it, but those seem to hardly make any difference, or I'm just blind. This is on a 980 @ 1080p, btw.

Here is the guide in question, you've probably already seen it: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/grand-theft-auto-v-pc-graphics-and-performance-guide.

It's a strange case, to say the least. 8xMSAA is usually the best you can get in games, but in this game it honestly looks no better than 2x or 4x MSAA or TXAA to me. Again, maybe I'm just blind.

lastmanonearth

That looks bad?

Yes...

Play the game and enjoy the game for what it is instead of looking for jagged lines as if is the only thing that matter.

To be fair to him though, there`s a reason he spent a fortune on a beast rig like that. Some people have a thing for the visuals, they`re called "videophiles."

That looks bad?

Yes...

To be fair to him though, there`s a reason he spent a fortune on a beast rig like that. Some people have a thing for the visuals, they`re called "videophiles."

Fortune or not he shouldn't expect to max it with a 780Ti on 2k.

I was just thinking that it looks like your AA just isn't being applied (properly). Check your nvidia control panel to see if it's interfering with settings.

I think that's the most likely cause. I don't know if this has already been looked at or taken care of but that's the thing I'm gonna go with.

I am the same way as you but unfortunately you need to crank up AA a lot. Even at 4K I have to use FXAA and 8xMSAA to have it look like this. (I don’t play this way though; just set it this way as an example)

VU2pJx9.jpg

• Like 1

He's on 8x AF at least on the last shot. 8x I recommend for 1080p, but you can easily get away with 16 with a negligible hit, so go for it if the strong sharpness doesn't bug you up close, it is negligible in performance impact for most chips. It looks good however. Something is thick and bright about the lighting, though. Turn down your brightness in Options -> Settings -> Display. It will look better, if it doesn't, calibrate your monitor. You might not assume it, but the calibration of your monitor is paramount. The image looks great, but it also *almost* looks like you're in a less-sharp "focus chase cam" mode which is a higher contrast look. I kinda wish chase cam/focus cam mode was default in some lighting scenarios - anyway, sorry to digress - Calibrate your monitor, and then edit the brightness in the display settings. The WHITEST two blocks should be SLIGHTLY distinguishable - if they are, the rest is as well, provided you've calibrated your monitor for optimal image quality first. You might even already be calibrated, just need to edit brightness in-game then. Right now you're a little bright and a little washed out right now, and your screenshot shows the software [gta v) is off-setting when I view your screenshot on a different monitor that has been calibrated with a meter, so the monitor might need to be adjusted, too, and should be checked if it's been a while and any chance of not being spot-on. I see something different than you in that screenshot, for sure. Darkening a little should round you out more, and, even though it's not the expected result and seems counter-intuitive, the image comes together better and you see it with more depth.

I *think* your monitor is too dark, so your calibration is too bright. It's a mind f*ck because it's contrast and brightness * 2 then * 4 or something to try to explain it, so I won't even try, but you just go calibrate that monitor, and then weigh the two brightest blocks on the right of the display -> Brightness setting. With a better contrast and lower brightness on your monitor, I think your screenshot will come out better, and your experience would parallel it of course (I might be wrong in terms of describing your scenario cause it's a mind f*ck trying to explain between what I see and what you're seeing and this screenshot and how I know your GTA is too bright - just calibrate the monitor, then, calibrate GTA).

The Rockstar logo should be slightly* visible. Dunno if their menu is a typo or not. Should be Slightly visible for sure. I made a screenshot, if this is looking bad to you, then you need just to calibrate your monitor, that's easy with the link. You should really see the depth here, and it should look really like night time, and the lights on the ground should be soft but bright but the moonlight on the snow should be not too bright either - if it looks too dark or "bright black" like a lit up black anywhere, calibrate monitor:

I have a brand new 4K monitor I calibrated it all and it should be fine as far as that's concern.

You probably have some settings on in the Nvidia controlpanel manage 3d settings, that messes up your in game anti alieasing.

I was just thinking that it looks like your AA just isn't being applied (properly). Check your nvidia control panel to see if it's interfering with settings.

I think that's the most likely cause. I don't know if this has already been looked at or taken care of but that's the thing I'm gonna go with.

I have reverted all settings in my Nvidia control panel. All my settings are done in GTA only.

I am the same way as you but unfortunately you need to crank up AA a lot. Even at 4K I have to use FXAA and 8xMSAA to have it look like this. (I don’t play this way though; just set it this way as an example)

This is what mine looks like with x2 MSAA and 1260 x 1440 resolution.

I3U68Cw.jpg

What car is that in the first picture?

Turismo R, it's probably my fav car as far as handling goes. Once it's all done up with turbo and brakes etc.

Mine looks better at 1080p with just fxaa on. No idea about that.

Mine looks better at 720p with no AA. WTF?