3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Steam forcing redownload of 59gb gta v

bowbra100

Go to solution Solved by bowbra100,

When I logged on this afternoon It said GRand Theft Auto V was uninstalled Instead of the play button. Despite playing yesterday...all the files are still in the common folder. It just said discovering exisiting files then about 4 hours later forced it to redownload all 60 gigs of the game anyway. Its still very far along. 13gigs out of 59. Also it won't let me verify the cache it just says " all files 100% validated" When its not. It then forced the new download into the steam/steamapps/downloads folder. I even tried to copy the files from the common folder and paste them in.. But it didn't work. its so frustrating.

Stuff I tried

1 Reinstall steam

2 Verify Cache

3 Copy existing files into the download folder in steam/steamapps

4 Checked hardrive everything is fine.
5 Delete everything in steam folder except steam.exe and steamapps folder

Edited by bowbra100

It sounds like you just posted to rant-- what do you expect anyone to do,

You posted next to no information.... can you stop it--- how far along is it now (since it has been over 5 hours since your OP)-- if very far along you might want to just let it finish.

If you open your steam launcher is it showing anything there.

Have you tried logging in as another user (on your machine) and logging back onto your steam launcher?

If it shows the game there-- ++If you're on Steam, right click it in your Library>properties>Local Content>verify integrity of game cache.

7744.png

"I want to design a video game where you take care of all the people shot in all the

other video games.... It's called Busy Hospital II" -- Demetri Martin

RIP BDP

i

It sounds like you just posted to rant-- what do you expect anyone to do,

You posted next to no information.... can you stop it--- how far along is it now (since it has been over 5 hours since your OP)-- if very far along you might want to just let it finish.

If you open your steam launcher is it showing anything there.

Have you tried logging in as another user (on your machine) and logging back onto your steam launcher?

If it shows the game there-- ++If you're on Steam, right click it in your Library>properties>Local Content>verify integrity of game cache.

When I logged on this afternoon It said GRand Theft Auto V was uninstalled Instead of the play button. Despite playing yesterday...all the files are still in the common folder. It just said discovering exisiting files then about 4 hours later forced it to redownload all 60 gigs of the game anyway. Its still very far along. 13gigs out of 59. Also it won't let me verify the cache it just says " all files 100% validated" When its not. It then forced the new download into the steam/steamapps/downloads folder. I even tried to copy the files from the common folder and paste them in.. But it didn't work. its so frustrating.

I bet-- sorry I can't be of more help.... Hopefully with the stuff you added above someone can help you out-- but it sounds like you had some major file corruption or something like that.

After you get it working--- I would set a system restore point and maybe do an image of your system and if it occurs again-- restore the image rather than a full download-- I can't imagine the frustration.

I would also maybe set up a daily file sync or other type of backup for your saves.... (to dropbox or some other cloud service)

7744.png

"I want to design a video game where you take care of all the people shot in all the

RIP BDP

I bet-- sorry I can't be of more help.... Hopefully with the stuff you added above someone can help you out-- but it sounds like you had some major file corruption or something like that.

After you get it working--- I would set a system restore point and maybe do an image of your system and if it occurs again-- restore the image rather than a full download-- I can't imagine the frustration.

I would also maybe set up a daily file sync or other type of backup for your saves.... (to dropbox or some other cloud service)

Thanks and I apologize for my rant before. While i was trying to type what happened I was filled with this blistering rage when I had to download or wait 2 days to play it again. Quick question could I restore to before this corruption happened? Like with system restore?

Edited by bowbra100

It might work-- depends on if the files are being overwritten by the new download and how the corruption of the install occured-- system restore is a time machine for system settings (like register entries and the like)-- but it isn't really a back up of the system.

About the only thing it might "hurt" would be making the download start over again... :/

7744.png

RIP BDP

• Solution

It might work-- depends on if the files are being overwritten by the new download and how the corruption of the install occured-- system restore is a time machine for system settings (like register entries and the like)-- but it isn't really a back up of the system.

About the only thing it might "hurt" would be making the download start over again... :/

I tried it and it worked... :D I remmeber I had mortal kombat x installing and there it is installing. Luckily all my saves and graphic settings were saved.