2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

stuttering at solid 60fps

umdking

Sorry guys,for another stuttering post.I looked every post up here about the stuttering but few people have a situation like mine.

My rig:i5 4670K oc4.2Ghz 16GBram GTX980 and the game installed on SSD.

So the fraps showing the game runs at a solid 60fps(of course I turned down some settings to make sure it locked at 60fps all the way.)

But no matter what I deal with the settings,it still has a lot of stuttering there.Typically,it's running very smooth for some minutes,then suddenly stuck for 0.5-1 second,very annoying.

I turned the vsync on all the time,because the fps bumped heavily if I turned it off.Having tried the tripple buffer,shader buffer,adaptive vsync...almost everything in the GPU driver,it still cannot be solved.

Anyone got a similar situation?Is there any possible solution for this?

please help :cry:

I tried all the suggestions to get rid of the stuttering but none of them really worked.

One thing that worked for me briefly was stopping one of the nvidia processes in task manager, but it would only last for a while.

In the end i traced it back to using Geforce Experience. I was using the FPS counter in it. After uninstalling the whole thing i've not had any stuttering at all, hours upon hours of clean, smooth visuals.

Obviously this is only a suggestion but maybe fraps is causing your stutter?

It seems alot of people have the same issue but the causes maybe different.

I found the solution that was right for me regardless of all the other help and work-arounds, it is the only one that has worked.

Edited by MrTay

Try switching from raw mouse input to something else

ok,I'll give it a try asap, thanks

I tried all the suggestions to get rid of the stuttering but none of them really worked.

One thing that worked for me briefly was stopping one of the nvidia processes in task manager, but it would only last for a while.

In the end i traced it back to using Geforce Experience. I was using the FPS counter in it. After uninstalling the whole thing i've not had any stuttering at all, hours upon hours of clean, smooth visuals.

I found the solution that was right for me regardless of all the other help and work-arounds, it is the only one that has worked.

I've read your post in another thread. it's very lucky that you've found the solution.unfortunately I've never installed

the geforce experience component. I always try to choose as less components as possible when installing the driver.and nothing changes when I turned off the fraps.

it's really annoying.when I bought the gtx 980 for this very game three months ago I was expecting a really smooth gaming.and now I got 60fps but it's not smooth at all, ridiculous.

intuition tells me it maybe caused by something about the hard drives.I have two hard drives, one is ssd and another is a plain hard drive, the hard drive led flashing when the game stuck every time.

When the game stutters like that, the hdd/ssd working at 90-100% (you can check it yourself). So it won't get fixed by changing some graphics setting. This is a memory handling problem. I have the same problem, we just need to wait for a patch to be able to actually play this game...

Edited by nyolc8
  • Like 2

I've read your post in another thread. it's very lucky that you've found the solution.unfortunately I've never installed

the geforce experience component. I always try to choose as less components as possible when installing the driver.and nothing changes when I turned off the fraps.

it's really annoying.when I bought the gtx 980 for this very game three months ago I was expecting a really smooth gaming.and now I got 60fps but it's not smooth at all, ridiculous.

intuition tells me it maybe caused by something about the hard drives.I have two hard drives, one is ssd and another is a plain hard drive, the hard drive led flashing when the game stuck every time.

Same same same problem to me. No patch from rockstar to fix this, very anoyng. I have 60 fps with gtx 970 on ultra, when I put all to low same problem. :(:(:(

• Like 1

I do feel your pain.

I bought two 980's and two SSD's to run in Raid 0, SATA 3, purely for GTA V. (please bare in mind I'm a 42 year old, 'unmarried' engineer)

For what it's worth I'm stil only acheiving 60 fps on average with all settings at Very High.

Even two 980's don't seem to be able to achieve max settings without sacrificing fps.

I reckon i just got lucky with my uninstall to make it run close to what i expected.

As Aikor has said and so many others, all evidence points at a memory leak in game. When they solve this things should be better.

We hope.

I do feel your pain.

I bought two 980's and two SSD's to run in Raid 0, SATA 3, purely for GTA V. (please bare in mind I'm a 42 year old, 'unmarried' engineer)

For what it's worth I'm stil only acheiving 60 fps on average with all settings at Very High.

Even two 980's don't seem to be able to achieve max settings without sacrificing fps.

I reckon i just got lucky with my uninstall to make it run close to what i expected.

As Aikor has said and so many others, all evidence points at a memory leak in game. When they solve this things should be better.

We hope.

Protip how to afford a gaming pc. :)

• Like 2

LegendarnyJebaka

Hi guys, just sign in to let You know there is solution for stuttering already! I had same problem on gtx 680 with OC maxwell pentium(4.5ghz) and 8gb RAM. Game was running smooth with FPS but there was stuttering when drive or in city.

Solution?

Run the game, wait till it gets to the main menu then open up task menager and change task priority on high(second from top) for GTA 5 process and lowest for GTA5 luncher process. And...

it's done! Run smooth as butter on high for me(very high kill fps but still no stutter)!

Sometimes it won't work from first run. If so, just exit the game, make sure luncher is closed as well and try again! For me it's work at least on third try, usually on second, sometimes on first try-theres no "model" behind it.

Don't know why it bahave like that but im sure it's work! I was super sad how it was running on my computer, but now it's super smooth-in fact there's no a single stutter.

Other things you can try is defragmenting your hdd(with some good program like smart defrag perhaps, it will make some difference propably) and downgrade graphic drivers(i have downgraded to 347.88, so the latest before "game ready gta5" driver) with full wipe out the one you have with "Display Driver Uninstaller".

But the "game changer" is to set that prority, sience even after doing downgrade and defragmentation it's stuttering as hell if i don't set the prority. Be sure to close no needed programs in the background as well.

Go and communicate the good news to others!

I hope my eng is understandable! ;)

Edited by LegendarnyJebaka

I think it's not that good news if it's totally random, also I always ran gta5 in high priority for a few days and was no change at all. How much time did you played in each test?

Edited by nyolc8

LegendarnyJebaka

Nyolc 8-it is couple of days now. Runs perfect, but as i said usually not from first try. Before that, it was horror, it's not like placebo effect! I was runing on low textures nad lowest draw distance because it was helping for stuttering but look like sh*t. Now its everything on high and half draw dist, and run really smooth(i'm allergic to that)
You can try give lowest priority to others process. Do it for social club process(is like 3 of them).
In thread i was reading it was mentioned about some windows player network process and some nvidia process that should be closed as well.... For me it's not necessary but maybe will work for you guys.

thats the thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV/comments/32sh0u/gta_v_pc_stutter_lag_fix/

PS: i only instal nvidia graphic driver and physics software. Uncheck other unnecessary sh*t.

And personally i think R* do the the sh*test job for ever with this problem. People with best rigs have this problem, and updates still don't solve this. So what they were doing for last couple of months that they dont catch it!? And what do the doing now not to solve this yet!?

And the drive physic is sh*t compare to gta4, but thats another problem..

Edited by LegendarnyJebaka

Sorry guys,for another stuttering post.I looked every post up here about the stuttering but few people have a situation like mine.

My rig:i5 4670K oc4.2Ghz 16GBram GTX980 and the game installed on SSD.

So the fraps showing the game runs at a solid 60fps(of course I turned down some settings to make sure it locked at 60fps all the way.)

But no matter what I deal with the settings,it still has a lot of stuttering there.Typically,it's running very smooth for some minutes,then suddenly stuck for 0.5-1 second,very annoying.

I turned the vsync on all the time,because the fps bumped heavily if I turned it off.Having tried the tripple buffer,shader buffer,adaptive vsync...almost everything in the GPU driver,it still cannot be solved.

Anyone got a similar situation?Is there any possible solution for this?

please help :cry:

Uninstall Fraps and turn on shadowplay from the nvidia experience control panel.

This will give you a more accurate picture as to what is going on. I suspect you are dropping frames at an average of 59fps.... which would cause stutter.

If you haven't already just use the Nvida optimization settings... they work a treat!

When the game stutters like that, the hdd/ssd working at 90-100% (you can check it yourself). So it won't get fixed by changing some graphics setting. This is a memory handling problem. I have the same problem, we just need to wait for a patch to be able to actually play this game...

Yeah,I guess it is the problem.Since it's a large scale seamless sandbox,data loading mechanism and memory management are critical.just saw a post said that R* support known there is stuttering on rigs with more than one hard drives.(#292 http://gtaforums.com/topic/784994-stuttering/page-10)

Maybe it's because the consoles don't have multiple hard drives,so R* didn't even realize that this problem exists on PC version.Anyway it seems we can't fix it on our own.only R* can.

:wtf: can't believe i bought a whole new rig and got through 3 times-5 months delay for this "fully optimized" piece of crap.And god knows how long the hell do we have to wait for a patch to this?It's like the 4th delay for me.Maybe i expected too much.i should tell myself it's much better than GTA4 pc,at least. :panic:

DEERxBanshee

I've found that getting rid of nvidia experience made my game stutter much less. Also a decent monitor helps as well it seems.

I think there seems to be a lot of different reasons for the stutter. Mine is almost all gone. Now I might get a single stutter occasionally while driving after I have been playing for several hours.

my machine is

AMD phenom II x6 @ 3.2ghz - not overclocked

8gb RAM

nVidia GTX 660 ti 2gb ddr5 *

Multiple SATA II drives (no SSDs)

Win 7 Pro sp1

Before installing I installed the latest nvidia drivers and defragged the target drive and used space consolidation.

On default settings the game looked ok(ish) FPS around 50, but I was getting lots of stutter, it was basically unplayable. No amount of reducing the grfx settings made any difference.

I found a thread saying to re-install the latest nVidia drivers, but to use the clean installation option. This really helped a lot. Now I was only getting a much less frequent but fairly regular stutter whilst driving around.

I checked the fragmentation of the install and noticed that most of the GTA files had some fragmentation, so I defragged again - this made no difference.

Then I turned the Anti-virus off before launching the game and this stopped the last bit of stutter. I was then able to tweak the grfx settings, sacrificing some FPS for image quality, but it runs stable, is very playable and looks lovely too.

My system pagefile is located on another (physical) drive in a 12gb contiguous block, I suspect if your machine is at the lower end of the specs and not using SSDs optimising your page file might improve performance for you.

PS.

If you have this graphics card MSI nVidia GTX 660 ti 2gb ddr5 * and you find the game crashes after a short but random time period. Use MSI afterburner to underclock the card. I set the core clock to -70 and unplayable or crashing games not only become playable, but actually run better. I had the same issues with Assasin's Creed:Black flag and Grid:Autosport. Both run great with the card underclocked. :)

I hope this helps someone.

Edited by janimal

i noticed my first stutter when i was burning a DVD and playing gta at the same time. then it happened again when i was download a movie and playing gta.

its the hard drive. gta dont like background sh!t to be going on while you play, it wants the HDD all to itself.

try seeing if any processes are running in the background, if so shut them down.

StoProGratis

I have no stuttering issues at all. I have reinstalled my Windows 8.1 and installed all updates before installing GTA V.

I don't use NV Geforce Experience ( not even installed it). In driver I've set prerendered frames to 1.

If your'e using Google Chrome try doing this http://www.omgchrome.com/stop-chrome-running-in-background-windows/

And don't run any other apps before starting the game.

You don't defrag SSD drives but there's tool for "optimisation" run them before playing GTA.

Also on every partition my page file is hard set to 8192 MB. Because I have 8GB of RAM.

Edited by StoProGratis

Do you have Self-Radio on?

no,i even turned all the radio station off and the auto scan music

for self radio off.

Uninstall Windows media player, then reinstall it. Power off pc. Open case, make a wish and blow it inside. Then swap keyboard and mouse usb's around. Power on pc. Reinstall GTA5. Finally when you get to the main menu, alt+ tab 6 times then turn speaker volume down to 25% and the game should run smooth.