2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTX970 UPGRADE?

stretchx9

I've been thinking about upgrading my trusty JutterMaster 760- 2 gig card to a GTX970 but I need opinions on how it manages GTA5 @1440p with only 3.5 of it's 4 gigs of Vmem running at full speed.

My 760 was a beast until I bought GTA5...........Now my JutterMaster swaps to DDR3 if I move an inch or pivot a degree.

No AMD fanboy responses accepted.

Edited by stretchx9

Everything maxed out MSAA 2 around 65-100 fps and average around 70 and the lowest i get is 58 but that's when there's a lot of sh*t going on like cars blowing up and stuff.

My friend had a 970 but it was a piece of sh*t so he got a 290X and now he's an AMD fanboy.

• Like 2

I have now 2x 970gtx. 1 970 plays all maxed out on 1900x1200 around 40 fps. 8x antialising. I recommend you one. And the 500 MB problem never had issues with it

Edited by f5544

ConsolePortBeggrRace

I'm not even at max settings on 1080p and the game takes 2.7gb. Can't imagine 3.5gb being enough 1 year and a half from now.

My friend had a 970 but it was a piece of sh*t so he got a 290X and now he's an AMD fanboy.

I may become one too before this decision making process is over. Got flack at the EVGA forum today, I just wanted to know how the 970 stands up to GTA5 torment. They are kinda embarrassed about advertising a 4 gig card that secretly runs only 3.5 gigs because it's missing 2 L2 caches.

I'm not even at max settings on 1080p and the game takes 2.7gb. Can't imagine 3.5gb being enough 1 year and a half from now.

Yeah, right! JutterMaster has been running GTA5 @ 2900+ mb , mostly paged on my shiny WD Blue!

My eyes hurt!

Need a decent card that I can keep....or go blind.

I'm debating on getting a GTX 970 too. I just redid my settings and like the gameplay with the 660, but some say a 970 would probably double the 660...very tempted.. Not sure if I should wait til later this year and maybe something better than the 970 comes out along the same price range. AHHHH what to do..

Current PC:

i5 3450

8gb DDR3 Ram

Samsung EVO 500gb SSD

MSI GTX 660 TF N660 Gaming 2GD5/OC

SOMEONE IS SCREAMING IN THE THREAD TITLE!

SOMEONE IS SCREAMING IN THEIR THREAD/PROFILE/INFO BOX OR WHATEVER YOU CALL IT...

Edited by MPowell

Your'e right, but I can't hear it over JutterMaster's fans.

I've been thinking about upgrading my trusty JutterMaster 760- 2 gig card to a GTX970 but I need opinions on how it manages GTA5 @1440p with only 3.5 of it's 4 gigs of Vmem running at full speed.

My 760 was a beast until I bought GTA5...........Now my JutterMaster swaps to DDR3 if I move an inch or pivot a degree.

No AMD fanboy responses accepted.

Ok, since I already had a WD Blue 1T on my wish list I opted to throw in a 970 and placed the order. It had better be good.

Everything maxed out MSAA 2 around 65-100 fps and average around 70 and the lowest i get is 58 but that's when there's a lot of sh*t going on like cars blowing up and stuff.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

put everything on very high/ultra when possible, especially grass, and drive into the country and I lol about your 58fps with a 970. People with 970 SLI struggle with that. And 980 can barely hold 60fps with ultra grass.

• Like 3

I found with my 970 that using dsr is miles better than having any aa on. Its running at 2700x1500 and looks stunning. Average fps is 60-80. Lowest I've seen is 54 which was a grassy area so am very happy.

No aa on (not needed at that resolution)

Shadows and post fx on normal

Shader on high

Grass on high

Rest maxed out.

Looks amazing. Pretty gobsmacked in all honesty.

Edited by Sheep500

I upgraded from x2 760s and its the best upgrade I've done in a long time! Mainly in anticipation of the GTAV release but also at the time (March) I was playing Watch Dogs and man what a difference that was going to the 970 meant I could max out all the watch dogs settings and get 50fps on average and no stuttering at all!

In GTAV I'm currently getting 60fps using very high settings, x4 msaa/txaa/mfaa, none of the advanced settings & Vsync/Triple Buffering switched on in the nvidia control panel and it is looking so good and running with no tearing, stuttering and only a small amount of texture pop in.

Definitely recommend the 970 the value is incredible for what you get power wise. Going forward I don't see many games using more than 3.5gb vram in the next couple of years!?

put everything on very high/ultra when possible, especially grass, and drive into the country and I lol about your 58fps with a 970. People with 970 SLI struggle with that. And 980 can barely hold 60fps with ultra grass.

I love how people that don't have 970's are telling other people how their own cards are running. I have most things maxed(with the exception of some advance graphic options) and get 60+ FPS consistently.

I love how people that don't have 970's are telling other people how their own cards are running. I have most things maxed(with the exception of some advance graphic options) and get 60+ FPS consistently.

Yep, because of the 3.5 gb vram people believe it sucks but that's bullsh*t

I'm getting 55 lowest / ~100 max with an average 80 FPS with txaa x2; reflection msaa x2; all max apart grass very high and in advanced setting long shadows On; High res shadow Off; High detail while Flying On and sliders extended distance scaling at 0 / extended shadows distance at 100

Edited by Sharks80fr

Kaito Katsumi

Very useful reply, will certainly help op.

Speaking of which, what is Juttermaster?

Honestly I can't recommend anything specifically for running this game. Trying to get hardware to run this game maxed with 60 fps will put you in a mental institution, even at 1080p, much less the higher resolutions.

Since the launch of this game I've read a veritable Russian novel of information about how people are running the game, what problems they're running into, etc etc from all across the web, trying to find answers to the problems I've been having with it, and there are an alarming amount of people who have GTX 980s, and all manner of dual GPU setups, who can't keep this thing running steady 60 frames. People are having problems with it not even nearly maxed out.

I think the problem though is this game. I think a GTX 970, or an R9 290, are both pretty smart GPU purchases right now. I don't think there is anything wrong with these cards and they should max many games and run the rest at high / very high at 1080p. Even going lower like a GTX 960, or R9 280, are fine for a mid ranged system for 1080p budget gaming, if you're a poor house gamer like me, at medium to possibly high settings, depending on game. Just not this game.

I mean what speaks volumes is that the card you want to upgrade from, the 760, is a full generation ahead of their recommended graphics card. It has a passmark score like 1000 points higher than their recommendation. It's not even a bad card by any means.

dartzreunion

hold on for the new amd and nvidia cards..don't throw out any cash yet.

nightmare-slain

get a 980 instead. or wait for 390/390X from AMD. or wait for the GTX 1070/1080. or wait for the 490/490X for AMD. or wait for the GTX 1170/1180.

seriously though...get a 980. 970 is a terrible card.

760 works fine here. 60fps 1080, high to v.high settings.

if you want to move on, then hold tight for the next gen of cards.... if not get the 980. more on the cost but i heard its a real banger.

get a 980 instead. or wait for 390/390X from AMD. or wait for the GTX 1070/1080. or wait for the 490/490X for AMD. or wait for the GTX 1170/1180.

seriously though...get a 980. 970 is a terrible card.

Do you even own a 970? Seen one in action?

JohnnyVendetta

I have now 2x 970gtx. 1 970 plays all maxed out on 1900x1200 around 40 fps. 8x antialising. I recommend you one. And the 500 MB problem never had issues with it

Same performance here. I've only encountered stuttering it seems to be related to other applications running on my PC. I've never had that drop unless it was in an area where it is expected to (very grassy areas outside city)

Running V at 1440p with these settings 1 2 3 4 Fps max:66 min:35(35 is when you're standing in the middle of grass,setting the grass quality to normal will get you a min:42) avg:45-55,the game is simply not stable,VRAM usage at those settings 3.4GB max,no stutters.

970 is a terrible card.

Ignore this misinformed BS.

Edited by _MK_

It's fun to always read how everyone is throwing theis specs online.

I run the game on my quad Q 6600 2.4 with GTX 550 Ti in a lower resolution bcause it's "only" a 1 gig mem card.

(yes i know, need a new PC with a Titan card)

But I must confess that i was truly amazed how well the game performs here, even with these minimum req...!

When you get a bit older you just don't follow the lastest hardware trends anymore, because the day you buy a system, it's old the next day.

I would go for a more balanced system with a lot of RAM (32-64G) and a good vidcard because i mainly use it for photoprocessing.

(And of course the occasional long-awaited game... :evilgrin:)

But you always have 2 choices, by a mid-range and renew after 3 years or go for the top and renew after 5 years.

I usually go for that last option, and renew the vidcard after about 2 years.

Don't stick your head in the sand guys, but know that the now new Titan card with 6gig will be totally obsolete within a few years.

So what's the point of my post? Just to let you know that the game is still smashing hot on a lower system, don't go blind for all the eye candy :lol:

760 works fine here. 60fps 1080, high to v.high settings.

if you want to move on, then hold tight for the next gen of cards.... if not get the 980. more on the cost but i heard its a real banger.

Why would anybody in their right mind, unless you're an Nvidia fanboy, get a 980 over a 290x when the 290x can be had for $100 cheaper and yet performs the same?

I-dont-believe-you.gif

What CPU do you have? I have everything maxed except Grass quality and the advanced graphics and I get 60-70fps easy in the countryside with my GTX 970.

I love how people that don't have 970's are telling other people how their own cards are running. I have most things maxed(with the exception of some advance graphic options) and get 60+ FPS consistently.Lmao, he is right. IF you can max out the game with a 970 with all on max and 2msaa you need to proof that. There is no way you can get 60fps ALL time with all settings at max (1920x1080).

And yes I got a 970 and i run all settings at max without MSAA and all advanced settings off. Population settings are at mid. With that settings the game runs good with 60fps almost everywhere but IT drops down to 50-55 in heavy grass areas. With 2xmsaa and all other settings laxen IT Will drop Even more and on more places than in grass areas. My CPU is a i5 4690k.

So stop pretend that the 970 is a awesome card in V, Cause its not great. Its OK. But dont think you can run GTA V with 60fps all time everywhere with all settings maxed out in 1080p. As Said before, a 980 have problems sometime to hold 60fps everywhere all time.

Edited by mhenkel