4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

What is the right scale for a gta map?

killdrivetheftvehicle

What size of the map is right?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What scale is MINIMUM from the perspective of feeling of progression in the game and replay value?

• Vice City HD style extremely detailed map with every interior open
    • Liberty City HD style extremely detailed map with almost every interior open
    • Los Santos and Blain County style extremely detailed map with most interiors open
    • Scaled USA extremely detailed map with some interiors open
    • Scaled North America style extremely detailed map with some interiors open
    • Real size City, realistic, every interior open
    • Real size State, realistic, almost every interior open
    • Vice City, extremely detailed map with almost every interior open
  2. 2. What scale is MAXIMUM for me from the perspective of satisfying my need for exploration and leaving me familiar with the environment?

• Vice City HD style extremely detailed map with every interior open
    • Los Santos and Blain County style extremely detailed map with most interiors open
    • Scaled USA extremely detailed map with some interiors open
    • Scaled North America style extremely detailed map with some interiors open
    • Real size City, realistic, every interior open
    • Real size State, realistic, almost every interior open
    • Real size Multiple states, realistic, some interiors open
    • Scaled world, extremely detailed map with some interiors open

killdrivetheftvehicle

As players you (me included) are experts on the playing experience. This topic is to tell Rockstar (as if they didn't already know) what size is right. Some say the size doesn't matter, its how you use it. But then there is the scientific fact that more size means more of everything. (All puns intended)

To clarify, we are ignoring any other limitations other than those of your personal preference.

EDIT: Poll modified

- redundant choices removed

- a smaller choice to minimum poll added

- a bigger choice to maximum poll added

Edited by killdrivetheftvehicle

I don't exactly understand the poll.

Are we ignoring console limitations here, or what? Because having a North America sized- extremely detailed with most interiors seems like a better detail than a Vice City sized -extremely detailed with every interior open map.

If not, then I would like a very detailed map, about as big as the V map going from the most southern point to the Base of the Alamo Sea size.

killdrivetheftvehicle

First post updated. @ezza: I wanted to imply that you didn't have to sacrifice anything for the sake of limitations.

The Dedito Gae

i don't understand the thread, so i'm better out of here...

Edited by Midnight Hitman

Pump Action Pimp

I liked IV's scattered enter-able buildings. I think the compacted city with interiors is better than a diverse...shell.

• Like 2

killdrivetheftvehicle

@pump action pimp: So you wouldn't want more interiors, even if there were no limitations?

Pump Action Pimp

@pump action pimp: So you wouldn't want more interiors, even if there were no limitations?

I like the idea of a city that's big because of it's interiors. More shoot-out locations make the city certainly seem bigger. A fine example of this is True Crime: NYC, which had a ton of enterable places. Even if they repeated, it made every borough feel...taken care of. Like they matter.

• Like 2

killdrivetheftvehicle

@pump action pimp: OK, your comment was a bit misleading, Scattered was describing the LC R* made, and not one of the options on the poll, my mistake. :blush:

@midnighhitzman: you misqouted my poll, so there you go.

Edited by killdrivetheftvehicle
  • Like 1

Pump Action Pimp

I should have clarified. Your poll's best option IMO is the LC HD with more interiors. I could certainly support that.

• Like 1

lastmanonearth

The ultimate goal for the future should be a complete universe with every planet explorable and every interior enterable. Every game should feel like one or two steps toward that dream, definitely NOT like a step backwards. Since IV they`ve been screwing it up IMHO. They have strayed away from that dream which is to this day most closely realized with SA. I just can`t believe that Rockstar would make a GTA game that has a total of like 5 f*cking interiors on a sh*tty, lame ass boring map. I`m still trying to come to grips with that.

The Dedito Gae

@midnight hitman: you misqouted my poll, so there you go.

oh, sorry bub, i thought it was one of those impossible wishlists, i'll read next time before being such a dismissive c*nt.

Edited by Midnight Hitman
  • Like 1

killdrivetheftvehicle

@midnight hitman: you misqouted my poll, so there you go.

oh, sorry bub, i thought it was one of those impossible wishlists, i'll read next time before being such a dismissive c*nt.

I forgive you, because you had the courage to appologise.

• Like 1

universetwisters

HO scale is the perfect size, specifically 3.5 mm to 1 foot

But really though, just a city like IV would be fine. Anyone who suggests an entire country is a fool.

• Like 3

Algonquin+Alderney with moderate countryside and lots of interactive interiors to make everything feel alive

Edited by jeanrjm

Shadowfennekin

LS is perfect, but needs more interiors. Especially out in Blaine County

killdrivetheftvehicle

Anyone that is against universtwisters is a fool. Or universtwisters is a fool. Or nobody is a fool. You decide.

OT: If you satisfy for less, that's what you get. On the other hand, If you want more, you'll never be satisfied. Something tells me R* is not going to satisfy for less.

• Like 1

I'm somewhere between Vice -and Liberty City HD style map with most interiors enterable and so on.

• Like 1

Pump Action Pimp

Anyone that is against universtwisters is a fool. Or universtwisters is a fool. Or nobody is a fool. You decide.

OT: If you satisfy for less, that's what you get. On the other hand, If you want more, you'll never be satisfied. Something tells me R* is not going to satisfy for less.

I'll be dead by the time there's a full country in an open world game.

• Like 2

lastmanonearth

I'll be dead by the time there's a full country in an open world game.

A GTA game yeah never but there are racing games like The Crew that have an open world shrunken map of the USA.

I'm a stickler for large areas - standing on a hill, being able to look in some direction where your view of the landscape is only blocked by the horizon itself instead of more hills/mountains like non-island maps do is something I love, but only if you can actually go to anything you look at. Just Cause 2? Eh, you can stand in the middle of the map and see all corners of the map easily. Fuel? Hills, hills everywhere blocking your view.

With this, you'll be able to have long, coastal drives without finishing the road in 3 minutes, preferably with large cliff to your left that you can see when the road curves inland, stretching across a bay; rolling hills/forest to the right. A proper valley that hasn't been tetris'd into the landscape - having loads if iconic important areas a stones throw away severely ruins the feeling. Standing in the middle of a salt plain, mountains far off in the hazy distance on one side, the horizon stopping you, again, from seeing more on the other 3.

There doesn't have to be hand-picked detail on every square meter of surface, I don't doubt they could easily muster up large swathes of simpler landscape. But the problem lies in being able to throw in detail scattered around the map, and highly concentrated where required, otherwise you get repetition, which is boring.

So, to me, the larger, the better.

gwZr6Zc.png

universetwisters

The one thing I don't like about whole countries being the setting is they'll really crunch the scale, like they did in The Crew. It's America alright, but you only see the major cities and the likes. And having a proper to-scale America would be next to near impossible, probably in my lifetime.

Son of Zeus

The one thing I don't like about whole countries being the setting is they'll really crunch the scale, like they did in The Crew. It's America alright, but you only see the major cities and the likes. And having a proper to-scale America would be next to near impossible, probably in my lifetime.

But didn't OP say ignore the limitations factor?

Edited by Son of Zeus

universetwisters

But didn't OP say ignore the limitations factor?

Even if, it's a very hard thing to overlook for a game like GTA.

The Dedito Gae

A GTA game yeah never but there are racing games like The Crew that have an open world shrunken map of the USA.

the crew is a racing game, there's no detail in the cities, they are full of copypaste buildings ,it's all a shell.

if we get a "GTA: America" it will be when they have made a gta taking place in every city, besides..

who the f*ck wants to visit every city in a videogame?

PhillBellic

I would like a doubling of the Metropolitain area of IV's map, with double that of countryside.

• Like 1

lastmanonearth

who the f*ck wants to visit every city in a videogame?

I`d love to be able to. I`d also like to be captain of the starship USS Enterprise, but neither are likely to happen.

Algonquin Assassin

Am I the only one who's not a fan of having an insanely large map? IMO the biggest it should get is what was in GTA V. I'd rather R* concentrate their efforts on what's contained within. I don't want a map so big it takes stupid amounts of time to get from end to the other.

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

lastmanonearth

Am I the only one who's not a fan of having an insanely large map? IMO the biggest it should get is what was in GTA V. I'd rather R* concentrate their efforts on what's contained within. I don't want a map so big it takes stupid amounts of time to get from end to the other.

Then there`d be some point to having airplanes.

theGTAking101

V has a good size map, the problem is they tried to put too much in it. A large city, a f*cking desert, a forest, a huge lake, a few more towns, and a sh*t*ton of mountains.

About the mountains, the fact that you can see the city and every edge of the map all from Mount Chilliad makes the map feel even smaller.

• Like 3