1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Miamivicecity

Did you have any preconceived notions of a character before release?

Miamivicecity

As the title says did you have any preconceived notions about a character (From any GTA) before release as in you thought a character would have a certain aspect about them that didn't turn out to be true?

I'll start..

-Before GTA IV's release I thought Roman would stab Niko in the back and become an antagonist or at least one of them. I guess the way of thinking was because of how Ryder and Smoke turned on CJ in San Andreas, I was half expecting a close family member/friend to perform a similar act again.

-I thought Michael would reveal to have had mafia ties in Liberty City at some point in the story.

lastmanonearth

I thought Franklin was a straight up gangsta instead of being a straight up bitch! I thought Michael might be an older Tommy Vercetti or a similar character. I got Trevor figured out to a tee the moment he was revealed. I saw a video before V`s release by the CVG guys which speculated that Lamar might die or that Franklin might take his dog and seek revenge or whatever, and I had no reason not to believe it. As for IV I didn`t read into the story before the game`s release, I only cared about what features it had etc. and I knew that I wouldn`t be able to play the game soon since I didn`t have a PS3 at that time.

The Deadite

i thought Trevor was gonna be somewhat racist, mostly because i read in pre-releases articles that he used to be an AOD MC, evidenced by a spade tatoo that's not in game.

:/

glad that was a lie (or scrapped that?), i'd rather have a villain from a cartoon than a hillbilly sh*thead insulting black peds with thinly veiled racist insults.

EDIT: Roman betraying Niko?!

the sole idea breaks my heart..

Edited by Midnight Hitman

lastmanonearth

^ Didn`t stop some sh*theads accusing LSPD for "targeting Franklin." HANDS UP! DON`T SHOOT!

Zello

-Before GTA IV's release I thought Roman would stab Niko in the back and become an antagonist or at least one of them. I guess the way of thinking was because of how Ryder and Smoke turned on CJ in San Andreas, I was half expecting a close family member/friend to perform a similar act again.

I actually thought Roman was part of a gang in one of the trailers when you see something on his shoe

Jbopb.jpg

I thought it was a gang sign or something and Roman was hiding some secret from Niko turns out I was wrong it was just a cockroach :lol:

PhillBellic

I can't say that I had any ideas of what the characters would be like before playing the games. :)

housedeep

I expected Niko to be totally different.. I thought he would be a selfish, cold-hearted, mean-spirited thug who double-crosses anyone for mere greed. I did not expect him to feel anything about anybody, I was really surprised to know that he cared and tried to protect Roman as he could (look what happened to him though). I could never predict that he would have a sense of homor, it seemed like he was a lone killer who lives only for the money and power (thought he would be the serious type)

I also did not expect him to be forced to run all those errands for those cheap bastards.

I did not expect Michael to be such a depressing, lifeless individual.

I always thought he was the type of guy who had control of his own game and had only professionals working with him, as opposed to doing jobs with Trevor.

Niko Montana

Before V's release I thought Michael would be a retired criminal who did some really bad things in the past, and moves to LS to move away from the criminal lifestyle. I also thought he would have mafia ties, who blackmail him into returning to that life.

Edited by thedriver111

wiizardii

I thought Trevor was a crystal meth addict and we see him take it like all the time, similar to how Ryder smokes like in every mission he appears in. Turns out I was wrong, and trevor is said to be a meth addict but we never actually see him take it, lol.

Also what thedriver111 said about Michael, I thought the same outside from the mafia connection.

Edited by Phoenix_Poop

9i OTD

I thought Trevor would be a f*cktard.

Can't say I was wrong.

UshaB

I thought:

• Franklin to be alpha male gangsta sh*t, going to parties, street-brawling, shooting up Ballas with the homies.
  • Michael to have some form of Mafia connections, he has that Mafia vibe voice. Also thought he'd be like Liam Neeson having krav maga skills.
  • Luis to have his own fighting style of mma. I also thought he would be a homosexual.
  • Victor Vance in VC, definitely believed it was Pete Vance. Massive mistake like what they did with Johnny.

That's about it.

Pavle

I thought Madrazo would be the main antagonist of V.

The Deadite

I thought Trevor was a crystal meth addict and we see him take it like all the time, similar to how Ryder smokes like in every mission he appears in. Turns out I was wrong, and trevor is said to be a meth addict but we never actually see him take it, lol.

you can see him smoking in switch scenarios.

Pavle

I always knew that Trevor would be a psychopath, but I never knew that he took drugs before actually playing the game. It kinda changed my way of looking at him since I played as him. I always feel weird while playing as him.

GTA-Biker

I was expecting:

-that Tommy would call Umberto Robina and Mitch Baker for Cuban and Biker backup to fight the Forellis in the final mission

-that Ryder and Smoke wouldn´t betray Families

-that Niko would join the Russian mafia

-that Johnny,Terry and Clay wouldn´t die in GTA 5 (I was expecting them to either rebuild the Alderney chapter or join the Liberty chapter from Broker or even if they were forced to move away from Alderney and Liberty by the Angels Of Death,they wouldn´t go to San Andreas which was said to be AOD turf)

-that Johnny wouldn´t get back together with Ashley

-that Michael was a retired mafia boss or some high ranking member

-that Franklin would be more loyal to Families

-that Trevor was an American and a redneck

-that Trevor is a member of Angels Of Death (I actually read it somewhere,and also because he was seen hitting a member of The Lost MC with a bat in the trailer)

-that Trevor was the owner of the Western Bagger (Franklin being a young urban street racer seems more like a person who would prefer a fast sport bike)

-that Madrazo would be among the main antagonists

Edited by LeopardGecko

9i OTD

-More seriously, I thought Franklin's story would be more about gangs and turf and such, and I didn't think he'd actually join Michael and Trevor until after the middle of the game. Essentially, I believed the game had two loosely connected stories (Michael's and Trevor's, and Franklin's) that would merge about halfway through.

-I thought that Michael and Trevor had an actual fall out, and that early in the game they would forgive each other.

-I thought all three would be available from the start.

-That Trevor was a former AoD member. I actually read it on GTA Wiki before the game out. Thought it would explain why he and the Lost MC hate each other.

-Really early, before the second trailer came out, I thought Michael was the only protagonist.

-Also before the second trailer, when I first saw a screenshot of Trevor, I thought he was a redneck who owned a gas station.

-I thought that Michael like being retired and didn't want to be a criminal again. Turned out to be the opposite.

-I thought that Trevor would be more muscular.

-I thought Michael would be fatter

ClaudX

I thought I would like Trevor and Franklin more than Micheal. Once I played the game, I did quite the 180.

Edited by ClaudX

Luna 51

GTA V SPOILERS BELOW

On ending B I thought Trevor was the one who was going to kill Michael instead of Franklin.

-that Ryder and Smoke wouldn´t betray Families

-that Johnny,Terry and Clay wouldn´t die in GTA 5 (I was expecting them to either rebuild the Alderney chapter or join the Liberty chapter from Broker or even if they were forced to move away from Alderney and Liberty by the Angels Of Death,they wouldn´t go to San Andreas which was said to be AOD turf)

At least add a spoiler to those 2 I quoted. Edited by s2n vaniish

El Tigre chino

Trevor is a member of Angels Of Death i read some where the tattoo "RIP Michcal" was for a fallen member\

that Trevor would be a mission giver instead of taker

Edited by El Tigre chino

Luddite

I assumed Michael would be a cool character that I would like instead of the childish hot-head that he turned out to be.

Zello

I had just finished GTA LCS on my psp and the hype for IV was starting. When I saw this trailer I thought that the man Niko was looking for was Toni Cipriani lol. This was before I knew about the seperate universes.

Edited by KY Jello

TheSantader25

-I thought Trevor was gonna be a psychopath and nothing more. I hated him pre release. He was a psychopath of course. But he wasn't just a psychopath and I liked that. 

Equatecurl

I thought trevor was going to be some sneaky greasy scumbag but hes just crazy instead 

rdr2 but I thought arthur was just going to be some dick who didnt care about anything 

Edited by Equatecurl

Male01

I thought that V's story wouldn't be powered by Michael messing things up all the time.

Who pays little attention to their kids (thus meeting Franklin when he recovers a car), betray their criminal partners (Trevor) (only to have been unstoppable anyways as GTA protagonists), and knocks down a house (thus leading to Trevor finding him) because a tennis coach slept with their wife?

Also, I tought Trevor would throw people out of police helicopters.

Jeansowaty

I did not expect Trevor and Franklin to be protagonists. 

I expected Niko to remain friends with the Russian Mafia.

And uh, I dunno if it counts but as a dumb f*ck back in the day I thought Claude and Tommy were the same guy, I thought so before playing the games, that is.

Miamivicecity

I have to admit Trevor looked interesting pre-release. There was something about him I liked where he had an edge like Jack Torrance from The Shining, but in game he's nothing like that lol. Just a "craaazzy" manchild more than anything. 

TheSantader25
17 hours ago, Male01 said:

Also, I tought Trevor would throw people out of police helicopters.

He does it off screen after the mission "eye in the sky". If you switch to Trevor after the mission he is flying the chopper and says "I hope it was a soft landing" which means he threw the pilot out. 

McAgent

Based on promotional material, I thought V was going to focus on the relationship between Michael and Franklin, which basically stopped developing after the first act

Honestly I imagined the game having a lot more focus on Franklin and the hood life.

GrudgefromSanAndreas

I didn't expect Niko to have an American voice actor, it was one of my biggest disappointments in GTA series 😠 :angry:

Hmmm nice bike

I knew Trevor was going to be Canadian before anybody else found out that he was Canadian. In his trailer at the end when he says "Want me to get my dick out again?!" the way he pronounces "out" is clearly Canadian. I figured right there that the voice actor was definitely Canadian.