2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Should our online characters meet the other two protagonists?

chappy1cap

Hello everyone! :lol:

Today I have a quick question concerning the two protagonists (Michael & Franklin) that we haven't met yet.

I thought about how Rockstar stated in an article that GTA Online takes place 10 years before story mode, so just about the time that Michael got shot and got "killed" then went into hiding. As you all know the in game time zone has it so that every minute is a second, every hour is a minute, and every day is twenty four minutes. This would leave us with years after Michael had been "killed".

So my question is, do you think that our characters would ever meet or give any acknowledge of existence of Michael or Franklin? We've already met Lamar, so why hasn't he talked to us about Franklin? Even in story mode Lamar and Franklin said back in the day they used to "gang bang" stuff like that, possibly with our Online characters?

It does make sense that we would never hear of Michael or even meet him because he "hasn't been in the game" since the Trevor and Brad incident. There's no excuse for Franklin though I think.

Anyway, please give your thought of if we would ever meet (at least) Franklin.

Edited by Airsoft220

To sum things up:

GTA O takes a few months before SP , not 10 yrs.

-Trevor:We already know.

-Franklin:He said he was done with gang banging waaaay before,so I dont see the purpose to meet,ffs he might have even took a trip to LC or VC.

-Michael:No real Purpose TBH.

The reason we dont have the other 2 protagonists is because they wont serve any real purpose.Trevor makes sense and is the special excuse.

they should do an update where now online is right after story mode

so we can move forward or we will always be stuck behind single player

• Like 3

Hello everyone! :lol:

Today I have a quick question concerning the two protagonists (Michael & Franklin) that we haven't met yet.

I thought about how Rockstar stated in an article that GTA Online takes place 10 years before story mode, so just about the time that Michael got shot and got "killed" then went into hiding. As you all know the in game time zone has it so that every minute is a second, every hour is a minute, and every day is twenty four minutes. This would leave us with years after Michael had been "killed".

So my question is, do you think that our characters would ever meet or give any acknowledge of existence of Michael or Franklin? We've already met Lamar, so why hasn't he talked to us about Franklin? Even in story mode Lamar and Franklin said back in the day they used to "gang bang" stuff like that, possibly with our Online characters?

It does make sense that we would never hear of Michael or even meet him because he "hasn't been in the game" since the Trevor and Brad incident. There's no excuse for Franklin though I think.

Anyway, please give your thought of if we would ever meet (at least) Franklin.

Where the hell did you hear that GTAO takes place 10 years before gta v? That would mean Trevor would still be rolling with Michael in North Yankton.
  • Like 2

I would really like for them to never be mixed with the SP characters, so they can "develop" 100% independently. SP is about 3 stories that we might or might not relate to. MP is about OUR story, which at least should develop by itself, without being linked to lame writing about middle age crisis and crazyness.

• Like 2

Commander S

Yeah - point of single-player is that Michael and Franklin are leading relatively quiet, unremarkable lives until circumstances cause their paths to cross, and everything (largely related to Michael/Trevor's past) unravels from there. That's ...basically the entire story, in a nutshell.

In other words, neither of them are really doing anything to warrant getting mixed up in our shenanigans - indeed, that's the sort of thing Michael's trying to avoid at that point, hence why he moved to LS, under a new name. Conversely, this is the period where Trevor's still wrestling control of Sandy Shores from the Lost, so he makes sense as one of our 'criminal underworld' contacts.

As for moving GTAO to after single-player, that'd cause problems - whole areas of the map would need reworking to reflect events from the story, certain characters would be dead (Dom, possibly Trevor or Simeon), and likewise, services like Merryweather wouldn't logically be available (at least to the degree that they are currently).

What would be cool would be stuff that explains what other characters are doing prior to single-player (like how in 'Bust Out', we find out how Gus Mota got out of prison to be part of Michael's heist crew) - perfect example being Patrick McReary, and whatever-it-was that saw him go from LC to LS between GTA IV and V.

• Like 2

Sky_Light12

while these protagonists never met in GTA V event , hint of online character was mentioned twice :

first one by lester : " i was working with someone , but they're too unpredictable "

second by franklin and lamar's conversation , franklin mention that lamar used to steal tankers ( ticket to elysium , going down to GOH & san andreas seoul )

Edited by Sky_Light12

Commander S

^ That, and when Michael meets Madrazo, Franklin mentions how "charges were dropped when the witnesses went ...missing" - not much of a stretch to link that to things like 'Extradition' or 'Check-Out Time', is it? ;)

I would really like for them to never be mixed with the SP characters, so they can "develop" 100% independently. SP is about 3 stories that we might or might not relate to. MP is about OUR story, which at least should develop by itself, without being linked to lame writing about middle age crisis and crazyness.

The story wasn't that bad in gta v, but yeah I don't see how the mixing of "our" story with the SP story could work out. It would probably be pretty messy.

Commander S

That, and tonally, GTAO's more similar to the 3D-era games, where you're a vaguely-normal person in a world that looks like the real world, but scratch the surface, and it's increasingly clear how off-kilter and eccentric everyone/thing actually is...

Meanwhile, GTAV is much more IN YER FACE all the time, with a heavy tone of cynicism and mockery throughout. To borrow a line from Chris Franklin's (really insightful) 'Errant Signal' GTAV retrospective:

...in the former, you've got the 'normal' point-of-view character (Claude, CJ, our character - or 'normal' NPCs like 3D-era Lazlo) contrasted with the more odd characters you end up bumping into. In the latter, everyone's a caricature, and the only perspectives that don't get subjected to mockery are those of ...our three angry, narcissistic, self-serving heels we call 'protagonists'. ;)

(incidentally, that tonal 'throwback' in GTAO compared to single-player is why, as someone who really got into the series through games like 3 and San Andreas, I much prefer Online to V...)

Welp, thank you everyone to help me out with this. I actually never knew that GTAO was NOT set ten years before, I can't remember where I saw that somewhere..but anyway it makes a lot of sense when you guys put it that way with quoting from the singeplayer mentions of our online characters and what not.

So yeah,

/thread

Shadowfennekin

Our characters will NEVER meet Michael or Franklin. They weren't doing much before the story, except Franklin repoing cars. And they're done with the crime life.

Trevor ENJOYS the good life, so he'd still be around regardless if they jump to after the story(C is Canon)

I always thought Franklin would be a possibility via Lamar, hell when bored I thought up a couple of missions that could bring him in and introduce him to our characters, maybe then do some other jobs for him.

As for Michael, until he was dragged back in, he was done with the criminal life, so it'd make no sense for him to come into contact with our characters in online.

Sky_Light12

^ That, and when Michael meets Madrazo, Franklin mentions how "charges were dropped when the witnesses went ...missing" - not much of a stretch to link that to things like 'Extradition' or 'Check-Out Time', is it? ;)

check out time , judging the jury and out of court settlement is more accurate as involves withness/jury assassination

Commander S

^ Didn't want to stretch it to 'Judging the Jury', because it's *technically* 'jurors' and not 'witnesses', but yeah. Indeed, a lot of Martin's missions involve silencing people - 'On the List', 'Water the Vineyard', 'Death From Above' and 'Editor and Thief' all fit the bill, too...

Red Lynx 23

(For give me for mentioning) A domislive video mentioning source code to do PR missions for The Vanilla Unicorn. Hopefully Online will be advanced to take place after story mode, and Trevor is running the place. So there's a chance his PR for The Vanilla Unicorn would be a bit dishonest.

fluffydude51

That's actually a very cool idea

Gantons Most Wanted

You know I think it could happen I'd have liked them to add the SP heists to Online for example you get hired by Michael for the Jewel Store Heist and Maze Bank etc. since there was alot of spots.

• 1 month later...
cairnschaos

Yea, but only when you reach level 100 or 120. It would not be a good idea for the whole universe to change right when you step of the plane