Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,018 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Thelema93

GTA V Chronological mission list (possible trinity V version)

cp1dell

Weirdly enough, on my most recent playthrough (second on the PS4), "The Long Stretch" wasn't even available until after "Friend Request". Did a patch change the unlock order?

As to the question of who should start the missions (when they can be started with more than one character), they should probably be started by the character you're first made to control after the cutscene (Trevor for the "Blitz Play" setup, Franklin for "I Fought the Law..."). That being said, I always start "Father/Son" as Franklin just because I hate how he always shows up wearing a hat if you start it as Michael.

"Fame or Shame", though, I think works better if you start as Trevor; it makes sense to drive over there right after "Friends Reunited", you see a little of Jimmy and Michael interacting before he shows up, and one of the gold medal achievements is punching out the guy who tells you you can't park where you have; since that seems more in-character for Trevor than Michael, it makes sense if T's the one to drive to the audition.

While the order listed here may be the more canonical one, I still prefer to play "Did Somebody Say Yoga?" after "Dead Man Walking" for the reasons I outlined in the other thread. That, and I think it might cause a glitch where Trevor can reply to Jimmy and Ron's e-mails.

I still stand by the idea of starting the mission as whatever character will reveal the most of the cutscene. It does make a lot of sense though to start the mission as whoever you'll be controlling when the cutscene ends, so I can see where you're coming from.

Speaking of which, starting Fame or Shame as Michael works just as well. Sure you can go straight to Michael's house as Trevor and start the mission, but Trevor does say he'll give Michael "another day or so" before showing up, while he's looking at Los Santos over the cliff.

How's the mission ordering going, Roe? I'm curious, are you playing through the game while you set this up - or are you just looking at the wiki and watching cutscenes to see what pops up on the internet, and what dialogue is said that could suggest a more "canonical" order?

Edited by cp1dell

Thelema93

I don't really think gold medal objectives are neccescarily 'canon' because some of the requests are just out of character. For example in many of franklins repo missions a gold medal objective is to kill someone.

in complications a gold medal objective is to kill the gardener with a silent takedown. Franklin definetly wouldn't kill a gardener just to repo a suv. And the gardener is shown to be alive after the mission regardless if you killed him or not because he can be encountered in michaels front yard, suggesting that it was canon to just sneak past him.

and in deep inside a gold medal is to kill two people. 1 is the actor your supposed to run over and the other is the lady you eject from the seat.

It seems like a unusually high body count for reposing a car.

Another one I can think of is the third way 'stretched out' objective Where you have to kill stretch with a melee weapon. Michael dosen't seem like the type to run up to a bunch of gangbangers and hit one with a crowbar. I usually just snipe him from a nearby rooftop, it's seems more Michael's style.

Thelema93

Weirdly enough, on my most recent playthrough (second on the PS4), "The Long Stretch" wasn't even available until after "Friend Request". Did a patch change the unlock order?

As to the question of who should start the missions (when they can be started with more than one character), they should probably be started by the character you're first made to control after the cutscene (Trevor for the "Blitz Play" setup, Franklin for "I Fought the Law..."). That being said, I always start "Father/Son" as Franklin just because I hate how he always shows up wearing a hat if you start it as Michael.

"Fame or Shame", though, I think works better if you start as Trevor; it makes sense to drive over there right after "Friends Reunited", you see a little of Jimmy and Michael interacting before he shows up, and one of the gold medal achievements is punching out the guy who tells you you can't park where you have; since that seems more in-character for Trevor than Michael, it makes sense if T's the one to drive to the audition.

While the order listed here may be the more canonical one, I still prefer to play "Did Somebody Say Yoga?" after "Dead Man Walking" for the reasons I outlined in the other thread. That, and I think it might cause a glitch where Trevor can reply to Jimmy and Ron's e-mails.

on my xbox one version long stretch is always unlocked by completing 'chop' and 'father/son'. Maybe it might be different on ps4?

roe

How's the mission ordering going, Roe? I'm curious, are you playing through the game while you set this up - or are you just looking at the wiki and watching cutscenes to see what pops up on the internet, and what dialogue is said that could suggest a more "canonical" order?

I was doing a bit of both but I'm struggling a bit tbg. I must've played through "part 1" of the game at least half a dozen times in the past few weeks now trying to figure out what I actually want to do.

I've played through with free aim, assisted aim, no HUD/radar, realistic playthroughs, all sorts and still can't quite figure out what I want. "You always was an old choosy motherf*cker!"

My draft of Part II was looking like this:

Mr Philips

Trevor Philips Industries

Nervous Ron

Purchase McKenzie Field Hangar

Target Practice (Strangers & Freaks)

Arms Trafficking Air 1 (Property Mission)

Crystal Maze

Rampage One - Rednecks (Strangers & Freaks)

Arms Trafficking Air 2 (Property Mission)

Friends Reunited

But it's probably best to play through to see how the order actually fits into place.

in complications a gold medal objective is to kill the gardener with a silent takedown. Franklin definetly wouldn't kill a gardener just to repo a suv. And the gardener is shown to be alive after the mission regardless if you killed him or not because he can be encountered in michaels front yard, suggesting that it was canon to just sneak past him.

Even though the game annoyingly counts them as "kills" in the statistics, I prefer not to think of stealth kills as actually murdering someone.

UAL

This is what annoys me about GTA games.

I wish missions would be made available only in their chronological order.

I hate starting a mission and the dialogue not making sense because I haven't done a specific mission.

cp1dell

I was doing a bit of both but I'm struggling a bit tbg. I must've played through "part 1" of the game at least half a dozen times in the past few weeks now trying to figure out what I actually want to do.

I've played through with free aim, assisted aim, no HUD/radar, realistic playthroughs, all sorts and still can't quite figure out what I want. "You always was an old choosy motherf*cker!"

Mr Philips

Nervous Ron

Crystal Maze

Friends Reunited

But it's probably best to play through to see how the order actually fits into place.

Even though the game annoyingly counts them as "kills" in the statistics, I prefer not to think of stealth kills as actually murdering someone.

Any notes on the Part II ordering? In my opinion Nervous Ron should come after Mr Phillips. After landing the planes, Ron leaves and Trevor is in Grapeseed. It would make sense that while they were gone The Lost trashed his trailer, instead of hanging around Sandy Shores waiting for the mission to unlock.Stupid me.

I was going to say the same thing on the "kills" thing. Obviously they aren't actually kills, they're just stealth knockouts. I always knocked out the gardener with a stealth knockout since the game practically guides you to do so, and he always reappears at Michael's house. The hits that are delivered by the protagonist when stealth "killing" them with the fist are not lethal in any way. Stealth kills with some of the melee weapons are a different story though.

I can definitely still see the mission objectives being considered "canon" in a way. In this thread someone mentioned Fame or Shame, about Michael knocking out the guy who says he can't park there - saying it's "Out of Character." Except it isn't. Michael is known to have anger issues and to overreact. He is almost as bad as Trevor, except he lies to himself about the type of person he is. And well, he doesn't eat or molest people either. But still, violence-wise he is.

Edited by cp1dell

roe

Not sure what bit you're on about there. Mr Philips finishes with Trevor back at the trailer and Nervous Ron isn't instantly available. The Chinese contact is the only option at first so I put TPI before it and the trailer gets ransacked during that mission

cp1dell

Oh sh*t, haha my mistake. I mixed the missions up.

Dr. Robotnik

Mr Philips

Nervous Ron

Crystal Maze

Friends Reunited

Any notes on the Part II ordering? In my opinion Nervous Ron should come after Mr Phillips. After landing the planes, Ron leaves and Trevor is in Grapeseed. It would make sense that while they were gone The Lost trashed his trailer, instead of hanging around Sandy Shores waiting for the mission to unlock.Stupid me.

I was going to say the same thing on the "kills" thing. Obviously they aren't actually kills, they're just stealth knockouts. I always knocked out the gardener with a stealth knockout since the game practically guides you to do so, and he always reappears at Michael's house. The hits that are delivered by the protagonist when stealth "killing" them with the fist are not lethal in any way. Stealth kills with some of the melee weapons are a different story though.

I can definitely still see the mission objectives being considered "canon" in a way. In this thread someone mentioned Fame or Shame, about Michael knocking out the guy who says he can't park there - saying it's "Out of Character." Except it isn't. Michael is known to have anger issues and to overreact. He is almost as bad as Trevor, except he lies to himself about the type of person he is. And well, he doesn't eat or molest people either. But still, violence-wise he is.

Eh, Michael can be pretty violent, but he never quite goes so far as to straight-up knock out the first person who says boo (even in "Daddy's Little Girl", he didn't get rough with a guy until he tried to stop him and Tracey from leaving). Plus, Michael seems slightly less trigger-happy than usual (and consequently more merciful towards Lazlow) during "Fame or Shame", probably because Trevor's around, and on a meta level he's supposed to be the voice of reason rather than a completely willing accomplice.

gtaguy95

Mr Philips

Nervous Ron

Crystal Maze

Friends Reunited

Eh, Michael can be pretty violent, but he never quite goes so far as to straight-up knock out the first person who says boo (even in "Daddy's Little Girl", he didn't get rough with a guy until he tried to stop him and Tracey from leaving). Plus, Michael seems slightly less trigger-happy than usual (and consequently more merciful towards Lazlow) during "Fame or Shame", probably because Trevor's around, and on a meta level he's supposed to be the voice of reason rather than a completely willing accomplice.

More cutscene content=canon choice

cp1dell

Screw it. I'm just going to start my Chronological/100% playthrough now. It will probably take a while doing all the stuff in between missions anyways, so hopefully by the time I get to Part II, roe should be finished.

EDIT: As much as I would like to bump this topic to make sure it stays alive, I don't want to double post.

Anyways, doing my playthrough now - random events aren't available until after "Complications." So there is no way to do Getaway Driver after "Repossession."

Edited by cp1dell

roe

Anyways, doing my playthrough now - random events aren't available until after "Complications." So there is no way to do Getaway Driver after "Repossession."

Yeah, I realised this on my current playthrough.

Good luck with yours. Interested to hear your thoughts

cp1dell

I don't think Marriage Complications is available until you complete Tonya's first mission. Playing right now and it won't show up. Willing to bet if I do this S&F mission, it will unlock.

EDIT: Yup. Just unlocked Marriage Counseling, Franklin's Paparazzo mission, Grass Roots, Exercising Demons, and Chop. Random events also started appearing after it as well. Doing Tonya's first mission still works though after Father/Son, since Franklin was with Michael. That's the latest you can possibly do the mission, so I'd change the order to "Pulling Favors" to be right after Father/Son.

EDIT2: The way I see it, the mission order should be put together by context of current events, who the game sets you to play as, and other things like the news or Life Invader.

So right after Franklin is fired, he thinks Michael is serious about the beer thing. Though the game has last set you under Michael's control, so you go and do Father/Son. Pulling favors is available before this - after Repossession and/or Complications - but dialogue will reference Franklin not being around the hood. So Father/Son is done before Tonya's first mission.

After Michael gets in the taxi, he tells Franklin to stop by again soon. He drops Jimmy off, and now you're controlling Franklin. Only thing available now is Pulling Favors, so you do that. Now "Chop" and "Marriage Counseling" is open. Though, Franklin's most recent "objective" is to stop by Michael's house - so you can go there, or start it as Michael. In my opinion, whoever will give you the lengthier cutscene is who the mission should be started by - but whatever.

Basically Roe's order is working out good so far, the only issue being the placement of "Pulling Favors." But it still works in this pseudo-timeline, and should take place after "Father/Son."

EDIT2: Only thing I'm not sure about is incorporating the S&F missions into the order. They really don't have anything to do with the main story, and barely reference it, aside from the towing missions. Regardless, I'm going to do them throughout the story when they are available, but I wouldn't worry about placing them in a certain order.

Edited by cp1dell

Dr. Robotnik

Anyone else think it's best to do the Blitz Play heist prep with Michael? He gets to speak to Steve Haines directly, and Trevor doesn't seem to know what the masks look like at the beginning of the heist even if you had him buy them.

cp1dell

I always thought it made sense to have Michael do the costume and masks since he's the one who reacts accordingly in the cutscene, as if he already knows what they are.

Though, I'd go by the Social Club's pictures for the missions. Franklin buys the masks, Trevor buys the suits, Michael gets the Trash Truck, and I can't tell who's driving the Tow Truck in the image - but it looks like Franklin. And since Franklin is the getaway driver, it makes sense to have him hide the getaway vehicle.

Thelema93

I always found it a bit odd how they all act surprised when they see the masks even though one of them had to buy them. Even michael says

" let's see what we got here"

I tend to do the blitz play setup missions as franklin because they both involve driving and his special ability is very helpful when escaping the cops after you steal the trash truck.

I also always make sure to steal the trash truck early morning on a Monday because that's when most garbage pickups occur, it dosen't really make sense stealing it in the middle of the afternoon on say a Saturday.

I also make sure to steal the tow truck during work hours 9 to 5 because it seems like the mechanic is just working as usual during the day.

I don't really think it matters who you buy the masks and boiler suit with but I tend to do it as michael. I also always get the same mask and boiler suit they wear in the concept art.

Michael- light blue boiler, white hockey mask.

Franklin- dark blue boiler, silver skull mask.

Trevor- green boiler, monkey mask.

gtaguy95

Nah. White masks for all

thc_404

I would wait with the bounty hunting until after dealing with the O'neils the second time. Because of a bleeter message by Maude. Kinda strange if she retired... :p

Thelema93

I would wait with the bounty hunting until after dealing with the O'neils the second time. Because of a bleeter message by Maude. Kinda strange if she retired... :p

I've never actually seen the bleeter post. Does it happen after completing predator or the bounty missions.?

autotheftgrand

Yeah, I've done all this, basically in the same order.. When you're playing as Trevor for the first time I like to do 4 arms trafficking air missions, then do the 5th air mission as soon as you're in exile, because the dialogue is something like 'the local rednecks have taken over your airfield' makes sense they would do that when Trevor was away..

Check the 'optional phonecalls' thread for more background on the missions. One mission that really bothered me was 'ballad of rocco' because it seemed weird that they would wait that long for revenge, but if you ring Solomon as Michael when in exile he says he is away in Liberty City, which explains it..

thc_404

I've never actually seen the bleeter post. Does it happen after completing predator or the bounty missions.?

In a previous playthrough, I had completed the bounties before Predator. After said mission I saw the bleeter post,kinda iffed me; :p

Thelema93

I changed pulling favours to take place straight after repossession followed by chop. because I realised there is a unique hangout conversation between franklin and lamar after chop where they talk about the kidnapping of D, and during the conversation lamar mentions that they are just legitimate repo dudes now, which means they should still be working for Simeon when they kidnap D.

there's actually a lot of unique post mission hangout conversations that can be missed if you progress too far into the story. There's a couple that M and F have before trevor comes into the picture, in one hangout conversation franklin asks Michael about his old crew and Michael indirectly mentions trevor saying there was a "completely crazy guy" aka trevor and a "real stupid guy" aka brad. But these ones can be missed if you don't hangout M and F before Mr phillips.

There's also another one between F and L after the mission Long stretch where they talk about Stretch and the Ballas.

There's also a couple between T and M after T comes to LS. They talk about the old days in North Yankton.

But like I said they are only available for a short time and if you progress too far into the story you won't be able to hear them again.

cp1dell

Yeah, I'm doing all the optional phone calls and hangouts with characters in hopes that they reference missions that have happened or will happen.

cp1dell

Okay, so I'm really just following roe's guide, along with some reasons for ordering from Thelema (like Michael focusing on setting up the Jewel Heist for Madrazo) but playing through it I've decided to change a couple things. I'm not very far, but I will update this post or make a new one when I get further. I really like the way roe has his ordered, and how he's going about doing so, but I'm also taking into considertation the pacing of the story, and who you're left playing as post-mission.

Anyways, so far:

Prologue
Franklin and Lamar
Repossession
Complications
Father/Son
Pulling Favors
Marriage Counselling
Friend Request

Casing the Jewel Store

So only a couple things are changed really so far. After "Complications" you're left playing as Michael on his way back home. The only mission available for Franklin is "Pulling Favors" but that will reference Franklin not being around so much, that's where "Father/Son" comes into play and should take place.

After those two, "Marriage Counselling" will be unlocked, as will "Chop." But Franklin is still "scheduled" to meet up with Michael again, based on the dialogue in "Father/Son" where Michael says to come back later so they can discuss stuff. I also noticed, that trying to get Franklin and Michael to hang out post "Pulling Favors" is unsuccesfull, and both of them will mention that they cannot hang out because they already have plans to meet up at Michael's. So this sets up "Marriage Counselling."

Afterwards, Michael will call Lester - to which he says he will come by so they can figure something out.

Once "Friend Request" is finished, Lester will inform Michael he has found something and to put on a suit. Considering that Michael initially visited Lester for "Casing the Jewel Store" but had to do a favor for Lester, it makes sense to continue this mission path.

I also have "Marriage Counselling" listed blue for Michael. I know I said I'm basing the order based on roe's, story context, story pacing, and who the game leaves you playing as - but MC is available for both Franklin and Michael after "Pulling Favors." I just prefer to switch to Michael and start it, so you can view the entire cutscene - this goes for other missions later on in the story.

EDIT: Also I'm not including missions like "The Good Husband" or any other Stranger and Freaks missions. The former because family-phone call missions like such are totally optional and not listed on the Social Club with the other missions, and the latter because none of the S&F missions are required for story progression, with the exception of "Pulling Favors." But props to Thelema and Roe for finding suitable spots for them in the story. I'm just going to avoid it for now so I don't complicate things.

Originally I was going to hang out with other characters after every mission as well, but I found that to further complicate things and sort of ruin the story's pacing. Especially considering that some hangouts don't seem to fit the story's context, like Michael ignoring his family, or Franklin practically abandoning Lamar later in the story and not touching bases with him until towards the end of the game. But I am listening to the optional phone calls that are listed in another thread, or well, the ones that do work - since it seems some don't.

Again though, the hangout sessions are good and provide some interesting dialogue that could help with the ordering of missions, so thanks to Thelema for taking the time to do those.

Edited by cp1dell

gtaguy95

I hate the fact some hangout conversations can only be heard after certain missions, even if those particular hangouts don't fit the story pacing, like mentioned above. This is just one of the many reasons why planning a playthrough on this game gives me headache. Seriously, one really needs to write all these things on paper or something, while in gta iv I could fit all the things I have to remember in my head

SmokesWithCigs

Where's the mission where you expose Chris fromage as a fraud. I did unknowing the truth and ran off with the two million dollars but I remember somebody spoiling his exposure on another site.

cp1dell

Playing through "Chop" right now, and it's odd how Franklin will mention he met Michael, and thinks he can set them up with some work. This doesn't work out too well if you have just completed "Casing the Jewel Store" where Michael calls Franklin afterwards and tells him about the job. The dialogue for "Chop" makes it seem as if M and F haven't really discussed any actual business yet - so I'm redacting my order and sticking with roe's.

I still feel like Casing the Jewel Store should take place right after Friend Request, but that complicated things even further and postpones Franklin's missions too much, especially since Stretch is supposed to be getting out of jail soon, and Friend Request takes place about a week after the first mission.

roe

Playing through "Chop" right now, and it's odd how Franklin will mention he met Michael, and thinks he can set them up with some work. This doesn't work out too well if you have just completed "Casing the Jewel Store" where Michael calls Franklin afterwards and tells him about the job. The dialogue for "Chop" makes it seem as if M and F haven't really discussed any actual business yet - so I'm redacting my order and sticking with roe's.

I still feel like Casing the Jewel Store should take place right after Friend Request, but that complicated things even further and postpones Franklin's missions too much, especially since Stretch is supposed to be getting out of jail soon, and Friend Request takes place about a week after the first mission.

I like that there's a gap to be honest. Doing Casing the Jewel Store straight after the events of Friend Request rushes it on a little too quick imo. Although it seems logical that Michael would want to sort something out so he can pay Madrazo back asap, it's nice to let Michael's side of the story breathe for a bit.

cp1dell

Yeah. I've crossed out my order and I'm sticking to yours for now. Doing CtJS complicated things, like I said, and Daddy's Little Girl hadn't even been unlocked yet because of not doing Chop. Your order is pretty clean. Like I mentioned before though, the only problem is that Pulling Favors has to be done after Father/Son to unlock Marriage Counseling.

Edited by cp1dell

roe

Yeah. I've crossed out my order and I'm sticking to yours for now. Doing CtJS complicated things, like I said, and Daddy's Little Girl hadn't even been unlocked yet because of not doing Chop. Your order is pretty clean. Like I mentioned before though, the only problem is that Pulling Favors has to be done after Father/Son to unlock Marriage Counseling.

Forgot to edit my post but when I actually played through the early missions last week I had a slight different order like this:

Prologue

Franklin and Lamar

Repossession

Complications

Father/Son

Pulling Favors

Chop

Marriage Counselling

Friend Request

Daddy's Little Girl

The Long Stretch

Casing the Jewel Store