2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Best Graphics settings for GTX 970?

frappim

I bought myself a GTX 970, and I want to know exactly what settings to play on to get 60fps1080p and decent quality. another issue I have is that I can't seem to get rid of the jagged edges.. no matter how much I play with the AA settings :(

I also have 8GIGS of ram and an intel i7

Edited by frappim

I've also noticed that even at 1080p+4xMSAA the jaggies are still noticeable,best solution would be going above 1080p.

With a 970 (well, depending on your other hardware) you can pretty much max everything but the advanced graphics settings and the AA settings. For me, MSAA has been the biggest performance killer, so if you want to get rid of those jaggies you're going to have to sacrifice either a lot of other settings or your frames. I've been using FXAA (enhanced with Nvidia control) and whilst it isn't perfect I'll take it over my fps dropping by 20 frames sporadically.

I'm running it at 1440p 2xMSAA FXAA TXAA Veryhigh High,fps 35-62, avg is around 45-55,if that works for you ill post the settings.

Edited by _MK_

try using the FXAA from nvidia control panel, much better than FXAA from the game & since you are running the game 1440p maybe you'll be able to play without msaa, give it a try

Edited by Sharks80fr

LISTEN TO ME

Put MSAA to 2x, then go to your Nvidia control panel and enable MFAA (Multi-Frame Anti-Aliasing) for gtav.exe ! (FXAA should be disabled, no need for it)...
That way, you will get the quality of MSAA x4 at the cost of MSAA 2x !

You can enable TXAA if you want to blur your graphics.

I have it like this (msaa 2x + mfaa) and I cannot see ANY jaggies or aliasing (1080p)

Edited by FicZGB

Well Im maxed out on all graphic settings and I dont have your card.

maxed out with a 3gb vram ? i'm running everything on very high but high resolutions shadows off / extended distance scaling at 0, msaa x2 and Rivatunner is showing 3.3~ gb vram used so i don't know if i'll believe that ...

I have the same specs as you 4770 non k 8gb evga 970 and i noticed things get way more stable if you turn off the internet. (if not online of course)

improve the performance and get rid off all those stutters, try it cause if you waiting for Rockstar release a patch...

Use GeForce experience's settings everything max except grass and tesallation And vsync off. Although mine seems to run fine maxxed. I noticed some screen tearing then though but my 120hz asuS monitor with blur busters strobing wasnt enabled not sure what caused it. Im running the 970ftw evga edition

ILS_Supernova

Use GeForce experience's settings everything max except grass and tesallation And vsync off. Although mine seems to run fine maxxed. I noticed some screen tearing then though but my 120hz asuS monitor with blur busters strobing wasnt enabled not sure what caused it. Im running the 970ftw evga edition

Not to sound horrible but I'm glad your getting tearing. Literally only for the simple fact that I'm getting it on my 60hz monitor if my fps starts touching 59+. I think this is definitely a bug and most likely one that has come with the update as before I wasn't getting a single bit of tearing. Now all i can do is crank the settings up to high so my fps doesn't get near the high 50's. So now I have GTA V in all it's glory but getting 40-50fps.

Edited by ILS_Supernova

DeathBySybian

I have same specs. I could not get smooth fps until I set to directx 10.1

Then everything else maxed/best

Not seeing the tearing with geforces recommended settings and 120hz with strobing. Although i've noticed the fps drops everyones been talking about. I think they just got tired of delaying the game and decided to finish it live. There's a number of issues they had to know about but the basic online session was playable for the majority of people so they went live.I guess it was better than waiting a few more months.

Edited by badincite

I've got a 970 and have been playing around with all the settings and finally have a good balance between visuals and smoothness:

Resolution 2560x1440 (Using Nvidia DSR)

Aspect Ratio Auto

Refresh Rate 59Hz

Output Monitor 1

FXAA On

MSAA Off

Nvidia TXAA Off

Vsync Off

Pause Game On Focus Loss On

Texture Quality Very High

Shader Quality Very High

Shadow Quality Very High

Reflection Quality Very High

Reflection MSAA Off

Water Quality Very High

Particles Quality Very High

Grass Quality High

Soft Shadows N PCSS

Post FX Very High

In-Game Depth Of Field Effects Off

Anisotropic Filtering x16

Ambient Occlusion Normal

Tessellation High

Long Shadows Off

High Resolution Shadows Off

High Detail Streaming While Flying Off

Extended Distance Scaling 0%

Getting 50-100 fps depending on where I am in the city and what I'm doing. Average around 70fps. No screen tearing or stuttering finally :)

Galax GTX970

i7-4770k

16GB DDR3 Ram

Windows 8.1

Edited by lysander

• 1 month later...
BiostarBeast

You do not need a i7 to max it out with a 970, There is no significant performance gain with a i7, The most might be a few FPS, And that is no game changer. I max it out fine with my i5 3470/EVGA SC GTX 970. The problem is the game still needs patched. But try MFAA, I turned it on and that got rid of the jagged edges, and I still get well over 60fps. I have no idea why people now think you have to have the most expensive CPU, You can run this game fine with a old first gen i5 750 or a AMD FX-4300. The best bang for buck CPU right now is the Athlon 860K that you can get for $70 bucks, It will run any game fine with a high end card. People take the bottleneck thing and blow it way out of proportion now. Also we now have game devs putting the i7 as recommended requirements for some games, This is not helping these people today either. But it is nothing but marketing. For one thing the i7's and i5's performance is almost identical in games. Yes it is nicer to have a i7, Because you will be able to do other things faster, But not in gaming.

Ooch...."i5 blablabla than a i7 blablabla" arguments from 2011. We are in 2015!

try using the FXAA from nvidia control panel, much better than FXAA from the game & since you are running the game 1440p maybe you'll be able to play without msaa, give it a try

Do I need to disable FXAA in-game? Or would forcing it through nvidia control panel / inspector overrides this?

Do I need to disable FXAA in-game? Or would forcing it through nvidia control panel / inspector overrides this?

It does not override the ingame FXAA. In other words, keep them both enabled, that way you`ll get better FXAA :)

You do not need a i7 to max it out with a 970, There is no significant performance gain with a i7, The most might be a few FPS, And that is no game changer. I max it out fine with my i5 3470/EVGA SC GTX 970. The problem is the game still needs patched. But try MFAA, I turned it on and that got rid of the jagged edges, and I still get well over 60fps. I have no idea why people now think you have to have the most expensive CPU, You can run this game fine with a old first gen i5 750 or a AMD FX-4300. The best bang for buck CPU right now is the Athlon 860K that you can get for $70 bucks, It will run any game fine with a high end card. People take the bottleneck thing and blow it way out of proportion now. Also we now have game devs putting the i7 as recommended requirements for some games, This is not helping these people today either. But it is nothing but marketing. For one thing the i7's and i5's performance is almost identical in games. Yes it is nicer to have a i7, Because you will be able to do other things faster, But not in gaming.

About this. I have an i5 4690k (newest Devil Canyon CPU), clocked @ 4,2 GHz. I also have a GTX 970 and 8 GB of RAM (1866 MHz).

I play GTA V at locked 45 FPS (1080p, maxed out, no MSAA, only FXAA, grass quality at very high, high res. shadows OFF)

Sometimes, when the game starts to go below 45 FPS (lag), I can see the CPU usage is very high (90 % and up), and the GPU usage is arond 80 % at the same time. Other times when the game goes below 45 FPS, the GPU usage is around 98,99 % (this happens in the countryside, where there are lots of trees and tree shadows).

If I wanted to upgrade my rig to get better FPS in this particular game, what would be better to buy, a new GPU or a new Intel CPU ???

I was looking at the GTX 980 Ti 6 GB VRAM for some time now, it should be a great gpu if the rumors are true...

Edited by FicZGB

Crimson Flam3s

It does not override the ingame FXAA. In other words, keep them both enabled, that way you`ll get better FXAA :)

About this. I have an i5 4690k (newest Devil Canyon CPU), clocked @ 4,2 GHz. I also have a GTX 970 and 8 GB of RAM (1866 MHz).

I play GTA V at locked 45 FPS (1080p, maxed out, no MSAA, only FXAA, grass quality at very high, high res. shadows OFF)

Sometimes, when the game starts to go below 45 FPS (lag), I can see the CPU usage is very high (90 % and up), and the GPU usage is arond 80 % at the same time. Other times when the game goes below 45 FPS, the GPU usage is around 98,99 % (this happens in the countryside, where there are lots of trees and tree shadows).

If I wanted to upgrade my rig to get better FPS in this particular game, what would be better to buy, a new GPU or a new Intel CPU ???

I was looking at the GTX 980 Ti 6 GB VRAM for some time now, it should be a great gpu if the rumors are true...

So I finally got my 970 and it's really weird the framerates you are getting.

I can easily get over 100fps with settings nearly maxed out(80+ in forest areas).

I just play at 1440p dsr nearly maxed out and still keep a constant 59fps for 95% of the time.

The only thing I haven't maxed out is grass(very high) and the special effects with motion blur etc( high/very high) this last one specially takes a crapload of frames and theres barely any difference so I would recommend keeping it on high.

All advanced graphic options are off as I don't see big improvement. I also have an i5 4590 so your cpu is better.

You must find the cause of your bad performance. With this hardware, upgrading is pointless, its more than enough for 1080p and 1440p.

For everyone having screen tearing turn off Vsync in-game & set Vsync to On in nVidia Control Panel.

For 970 users Very High is the setting you should go for except for Grass Quality which performs better on High without losing much detail.

If you have a look at the nVidia Performance Guide you will see there is no point putting any setting to Ultra. Neither is there any point for Long Shadows or High Res Shadows unless you're using Sharp Soft Shadows. Extended Distance Scaling will hurt FPS so stay away.

You can enable High Detail Streaming While Flying and max out Shadow Distance without hurting FPS.

Disable all AA in-game apart from FXAA - and enable FXAA in nV Control Panel. Also set Anisotropic Filtering to 16x and Texture Filtering to High Quality in nV CP.

The above settings should allow you to enable nV PCSS Soft Shadows which IMO makes the game look amazing and realistic.

I don't often drop below 60 FPS using these settings and I'm on an older i7 920 CPU, one to note is that you can use the Adaptive Vsync option in nV Control Panel to maintain a higher FPS at the sacrifice of the occasional screen tear.

Happy gaming.

• Like 1

So I finally got my 970 and it's really weird the framerates you are getting.

I can easily get over 100fps with settings nearly maxed out(80+ in forest areas).

I just play at 1440p dsr nearly maxed out and still keep a constant 59fps for 95% of the time.

The only thing I haven't maxed out is grass(very high) and the special effects with motion blur etc( high/very high) this last one specially takes a crapload of frames and theres barely any difference so I would recommend keeping it on high.

All advanced graphic options are off as I don't see big improvement. I also have an i5 4590 so your cpu is better.

You must find the cause of your bad performance. With this hardware, upgrading is pointless, its more than enough for 1080p and 1440p.

How much RAM have you got ?

Is your game installed on a HDD or SSD ?

What version of Windows have you got ?

I mean, I cannot believe your are playing at 1080p (with 1440p DSR antialiasing) and get 59 FPS (not dropping to below 50). I just cant believe it man. DSR is a performance hog usually, just like MSAA, but a bit less

btw. When I said that I am playing in 1080p maxed out, I meant that the advanced settings are also maxed out, EXCEPT High resolution shadows

Edited by FicZGB

interfreak
My settings for my GTX 970 over clocked, with an i5 4590. I get a locked 60fps in over 90% of the map, with a few drops in heavily trafficked areas and in the wilderness :

--Graphics-

Fullscreen

1920x1080 60Hz

FXAA – On

MSAA – Off

TXAA – Off

VSYNC – Off (enabled in the Nvidia CP)

Population Density – Max

Population Variety – Max

Distance Scaling – Max

Texture/Shader/Shadow/Reflection Quality – all Very High, Ultra Reflections

Reflection MSAA – Off

Water/Particles/Grass Quality – all Very High

Soft Shadows – Nvidia PCSS

Post FX – Ultra

Motion Blur Strength – Minimum

Depth of Field – Off

Anisotropic Filtering – Off, (Forced x16 in in the Nvidia Control Panel – seems to give a better coverage along with High Quality texture streaming)

Ambient Occlusion – High

Tessellation – Very High

-Advanced Settings -

Long Shadows – Off

High Resolution Shadows – Off

High Detail Streaming when Flying – On

Extended Distance Scaling – Minimum (I can put it at 50% with a few frames lost)

Extended Shadow Distance – Maximum

blackroseMD1

Well, your settings make far more sense than those from Crimson Flam3s.

Anyway, I think I`ll upgrade to a GTX 980 Ti soon - http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-specifications-and-photos-revealed/.

This game CAN`T BE MAXED OUT with a GTX 970 3,5 Gb, no chance.

It can't be maxed out with 2 GTX 970s in SLI if you want 60+. Believe me, I've tried.

• Like 2

Crimson Flam3s

What I mean by maxed out

Fullscreen
1440p DSR
FXAA – On
MSAA – Off
TXAA – Off
VSYNC – Off (enabled in the Nvidia CP)
Population Density – Max
Population Variety – Max
Distance Scaling – med
Texture/Shader/Shadow/Reflection Quality – all Very High
Reflection MSAA – Off
Water/Particles/Grass Quality – all Very High
Soft Shadows – softest
Post FX – high
Motion Blur Strength – Minimum
Depth of Field – Off
Anisotropic Filtering – Off, (Forced x16 in in the Nvidia Control Panel)
Ambient Occlusion – High
Tessellation – Very High
-Advanced Settings -
Long Shadows – Off
High Resolution Shadows – Off
High Detail Streaming when Flying – Off
Extended Distance Scaling – Minimum
Extended Shadow Distance – Minimun

Post fx, and nvidia pcss, are some of the biggest fps hogs in the game and using High post fx and softer shadows will give similar results with minimal fps lost. Most advanced settings take too many fps with minimal improvement except probably extended shadow distance.

With this settings the lowest my fps gets is 55 in some forested areas while being 75fps on the city. If I bring it down to 1080p I get 90/80fps on the city/countryside and I can even play at 4k dsr and get a stable 35-45fps.

You shouldn't need a freaking 980 ti to play a game in 1080p if you do a few teaks, many settings have minimal improvement but take a lot of frames off, it's called diminishing returns. Hell you could even OC the 970 and it would come close to matching a 980.

Please try my settings and let me know what fps do you get.

southparkmayor

The last few patches have ruined the graphics performance and introduced pop-ins. so dont judge your graphics card.

What I mean by maxed out

What monitor are you using? I get stutter at 60fps even at low settings. 30fps is perfect and can have everything maxed but miss the 60fps, would gladly exchange some of settings for 60fps. I have been through all the settings and so-called fixes. Same stutter on a 24" monitor 60hz 1ms. Even at 45fps it does not play as smooth as 30fps. It is something about going over 30fps that causes stutter.

gtx 970

i5 3450

42" lcd tv 60hz

8gb ram

500 gb ssd