2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
kungfucj

Are trevor and lamar the most overrated characters in the gta series?

The Deadite

"..Inconsistent" is what I think of when I think of Trevor. "Arghhhhh f*ck you meth head bikers" a few missions later "No one gives a f*ck about me. Give me a hug".

when i hear inconsistent, i think in CJ hesitating to kill the producer of Madd Dogg ,even though he murdered thousands of ballas and Madd Dogg's whole bodyguard crew ,obeying the whims of a friend who works at burger shot.

CJ not standing up to Tenpenny even when he's balls high, even though he enters a hotel full of cops to rescue Sweet and robbed guns of the army ,by advice of his drug addict friend .

CJ trying to talking out Pulaski when chasing him , even though he buried a guy alive for calling his sister a whore and so on..

Trevor is crazy and has serious mental problems, of course he's gonna have the emotional strength of a 14 year old (HUG ME=f*ckING DIE TURD), overral, CJ is just poorly written and is inconsistant, even worst than Trevor, which is worrying seeing as he is young and doesn't do drugs at all.

Thelema93

Cj is way more inconsistent than trevor. In cutscenes he comes across as a bit of a wimp, by Gta protagonists standards. But in gameplay he's this super gangbanger that can take on an entire military base.

kungfucj

Trevor if not is probably the most undeveloped character ever in gaming history.

Lol wow, that is a very bold claim.

Actually it really isnt,if you fail to see the huge flaws of this character its on you.

He goes from "i feel like killing a bunch of people and eat their liver for no reason" to "i feel so sad please someone give me a hug,i think i am in love"

that is not believable for even one second and its just lazy writing done to amuse people and get a few chuckles

also it was just a figure of speech,just because everyone thinks something is good it doesnt make it good,that whole "people like it so you must like it" argument doesnt make any sense,mostly these days when the characters of videogames keep getting worse and worse

Edited by kungfucj

Otselot

Lol only kids love Trevor's character.

kungfucj

you are a cool cat mister

Otselot

you are a cool cat mister

Thanks, is my Awesome Kitten.

Haha365

Lmao, got to love hasty generalizations.

ten-a-penny

Think Trevor is overrated? Try Johnny and CJ. At least Niko has a reason - his story is deep and actually make sense, which make him likeable.

Unlike CJ where you see him in cutscenes a wimpy bitch and in gameplay you find him manning a f*cking Sea Harrier. Why don't you show all that stuff and shove it down Tenpenny's ass from the beginning? Oh yeah you're a pussy.

And Lamar is overrated? HA.

Nah, not Lamar, Trevor is not the only overrated one, Niko and CJ are definatley overrated.

Niko has a reason to be "overrated" as his story make sense and he's "deep" unlike Johnny and CJ. Also I find Niko's fans much mature compared to CJ/John's f*cking YOLOSWAG$$$# worshipers.

The Deadite

Think Trevor is overrated? Try Johnny and CJ..

someone with balls here!

+1

i never could bring myself to admit that Johnny is overrated, someone give this man a batch of cookies!!

kungfucj

yeah above poster is right,niko was the best

ten-a-penny

I don't really see what's so awesome about him that made half the GTA fanbase go apesh*t crazy when they saw a bunch of pixels die. Its like one of their family members died. get over yourselves, whining about a video game character dying wouldn't make you a f*cking man. Tenpenny is my all time favorite GTA character and I didn't cry when he died. Captain Davenport is my favorite Ace Combat character, maybe I shed some tears but I didn't scream "F*CK U 4 NAMCO KILLIN HIM" and I certainly didn't sue Ubisoft for killing Mary/James Kidd in Assassin's Creed IV.

Dear Johnny worshipers, grow some balls and get over his death. Same goes for you CJ kid f*cks. Not liking CJ =/= racist.

kungfucj

I don't really see what's so awesome about him that made half the GTA fanbase go apesh*t crazy when they saw a bunch of pixels die. Its like one of their family members died. get over yourselves, whining about a video game character dying wouldn't make you a f*cking man. Tenpenny is my all time favorite GTA character and I didn't cry when he died. Captain Davenport is my favorite Ace Combat character, maybe I shed some tears but I didn't scream "F*CK U 4 NAMCO KILLIN HIM" and I certainly didn't sue Ubisoft for killing Mary/James Kidd in Assassin's Creed IV.

Dear Johnny worshipers, grow some balls and get over his death. Same goes for you CJ kid f*cks. Not liking CJ =/= racist.

dude spoilers!

but seriously tho i agree with everything you said,good post

Thelema93

Trevor Is a really well written and developed character. You just have to look slightly deeper into him. if you want here's a link to a trikey manifesto

It gives detailed evaluation's on both michael and trevor. It covers there biography, physical appearance and there personality traits.

http://gtav-michael-trevor.tumblr.com/page/2

Read it, it will show you how well written his charactar was.

Edited by Thelema93

Toasterchan

Frankly Michael, Trevor and Franklin are all overrated to me. All Franklin does is whine about not getting paid-I was expecting Franklin to be the gangster and have more ties to gangs instead of being a f*cking repo man who complains about not getting paid. The trailer made Michael look like a retired badass-when in the game he's a coward who complains and is depressed for no reason other than "I hurt a bunch of people" which is stupid because he was a career criminal, and it's even funny when Michael wakes up in the morning to keep the daily body count up. Trevor is just some crazy meth addict who honestly has no place in the story but to just go "f*ck you!" I'd rather have one interesting playable character than three bland ones.

Lester is more interesting.

ten-a-penny

Frankly Michael, Trevor and Franklin are all overrated to me. All Franklin does is whine about not getting paid-I was expecting Franklin to be the gangster and have more ties to gangs instead of being a f*cking repo man who complains about not getting paid. The trailer made Michael look like a retired badass-when in the game he's a coward who complains and is depressed for no reason other than "I hurt a bunch of people" which is stupid because he was a career criminal, and it's even funny when Michael wakes up in the morning to keep the daily body count up. Trevor is just some crazy meth addict who honestly has no place in the story but to just go "f*ck you!" I'd rather have one interesting playable character than three bland ones.

Uh, that's not how "overrated" works.

As far as I know, 'overrated' means something got too much credit no matter how good or bad it is and you see it everywhere. Trevor is kinda overrated for a reason SOMEHOW I forgot, but Micheal and Franklin? Lol, Franklin is possibly the most UNDERrated in the whole GTA series, and Micheal is kinda in the middle.

Stoney0503

Nah, not Lamar, Trevor is not the only overrated one, Niko and CJ are definatley overrated.

Niko has a reason to be "overrated" as his story make sense and he's "deep" unlike Johnny and CJ. Also I find Niko's fans much mature compared to CJ/John's f*cking YOLOSWAG$$$# worshipers.

When I say a character is overrated, that doesn't mean that character is bad.

ten-a-penny

^ Yeah I know - I just said that Niko has a reason to be overrated unlike CJ.

Niko has a decent story that actually make sense, CJ don't.

Niko is more mature (or at least IMO) unlike CJ,

Niko's fans don't piss you off like CJ's dick riders (how can I be racist towards black people if I AM a black person myself? :doing: )

Toasterchan

Uh, that's not how "overrated" works.

As far as I know, 'overrated' means something got too much credit no matter how good or bad it is and you see it everywhere. Trevor is kinda overrated for a reason SOMEHOW I forgot, but Micheal and Franklin? Lol, Franklin is possibly the most UNDERrated in the whole GTA series, and Micheal is kinda in the middle.

People praise the main protaganists of GTA calling them the best written characters-I was explaining my opinions as to why their overrated and not so great characters. Granted my post did go off topic a bit.

Edited by Toasterchan

SmokesWithCigs

to the theread starter . didn't read your post but i swear to god if you bring up gta IV or niko i will stab you in your f*cking eye. the mods can ban me or warn me all they want i'm getting tired of people posting the same sh*t everyday. talk about some thing else find some new sh*t to discuss for gods sake

Edited by SmokesWithCigs

SmokesWithCigs

Seriously,trevor is just a huge walking cliche,he basically doesnt really have any sort of actually developed personality

with some depth to it like lets say like niko had and the worst are his fans that are constantly throwing around the whole "he is great because like he just does whatever he wants,doesnt judge and is loyal" argument.

they didnt even had the guts to made him a real psychophath and instead build him in a way they could make him "likeable"

he is just the boring "anti heroe yolo" character we see a million times already.

and i have no ideia why anyone would think lamar is a funny character,the guy is abnoxious as hell and doesnt appreciate anything anyone ever does for him,his jokes are lame as hell.

if i hear the phrase you need to get some bitches on yo dick again i am going to kill myself

no, the most overrated gta character ever is CJ, the guy is inconsistant as Trevor, which is a shame because they tried to create a human protagonist for the first time but sadly, the story/CJ's personality got lost between Las Venturas and San Fierro.

you know what i agree with you

cjs personality was pretty bland and somewhat boring

after a few months on this site i'm inclined to believe that no one on this site knows what the hell they are talking about.

SmokesWithCigs

i said i my first post i wouldn't read but i read and my hunch was right. somehow i knew this would turn into a niko bellic dick sucking contest.

SmilingWheel126

Trevor Is a bit too ott in my opinion

Real_Badgirl

Trevor is incredibly overrated. The game tries too hard to make him funny with the 'lololol crazy switch scenarios', but it just doesn't work for me. He's a terrible person. I know, the other GTA protagonists aren't angels by any means, but they still came across as likable. Trevor on the other hand turns it up to eleven and never quits. He's always in rage mode, kills people for no reason, treats the few friends he has like complete sh*t, ruins people's lives just because he feels like it, etc.

Everything about him is irritating, from the way he's constantly shouting to the way he ogles and pervs over many of the characters, male and female. The guy has practically no redeeming qualities (the Patricia thing is the one exception). Michael and Franklin may be violent criminals but to me, they're much, much more likable than Trevor is.

JamRock7

Oh I can accept opinions but not when you try to write them as fact. Good try, though.

i disagree,that was an awful try, when people try to brand Trevor as a character for kids, it falls short and looks desperate, i can't think of anything that kids would like about Trevor.

Seems you don't know what kids like then..

The invariable use of the word 'f*ck', the ex machinas, the overall craziness and his overall persona.

Trevor is to kids what sh*t is to flies

The Deadite

Seems you don't know what kids like then..

The invariable use of the word 'f*ck', the ex machinas, the overall craziness and his overall persona.

i don't see Trevor being a character suitable for kids, more like for inmature people, saying that Trevor is for kids is saying that gta is for kids.

TrevorPhilipsInc

Trevor does have depth. If you pay attention in the torture mission to what he is saying and to his other dialogue in the game, you can see he's really smart and understand how the system works.

But R made him as a reflection of us. We probably have some sympathy, intelligence, social skills and desire for more than just destruction, but in a world like GTA, we just want to do whatever the hell we feel like.

And Lamar is slightly overrated.

Btw, Franklins story could have been good, it's basically about a gang banger trying to get out of that life, the problem is that from the second we meet him, he is trying to get out of that life and all about trying to do the smart thing. they should have introduced him as a gang banger and then have him learn that it's not the wisest life style, instead we get a character who doesn't progress much. I still like him as a character though.

Or atleast focused on him being pulled back into that life more then the handful of times we saw him drawn into it. The Repo mission didnt feel as much being pulled back into it as much as a Repo Job gone wrong.

The only two missions where youre pulled back into the life. It was kind of quick and suddenly it was over. It didnt feel as if there were repercussions to them.

Alec Skorpio

CJ

I see Lamar and Trevor get hate all the time, and I can understand it.

All I see is love for CJ, and I can't understand that.

TrevorPhilipsInc

Trevor does Speed. Do you really expect him, a mentally deranged individual hopped up on drugs with all sorts of emotional problems and a history of abuse, to be consistent? I mean really. Its not as if they didnt lay it out for you that this character would be balls deep bat sh*t crazy the moment you met him. If anyone is crazy its people expecting him to be 'consistent' or as stable as the other protagonists.

Pump Action Pimp

Trevor does Speed. Do you really expect him, a mentally deranged individual hopped up on drugs with all sorts of emotional problems and a history of abuse, to be consistent? I mean really. Its not as if they didnt lay it out for you that this character would be balls deep bat sh*t crazy the moment you met him. If anyone is crazy its people expecting him to be 'consistent' or as stable as the other protagonists.

I've never done speed, but how the hell does a man who's on drugs all the time, drive? And fly?

Tycek

I believe this duo may be actually most overrated in GTA series. While I don't share the love for some characters (e.g., CJ) I can see some redeeming traits in them and I can understand why somebody may like them. Lamar and Trevor on the other hand are just empty shells full of one sided gimmicks, which are there to replace their actual personality.

Lamar is nothing more than a damsel in distress, who has to be rescued by Franklin every five minutes, and he as a gangsta should doesn't even carry a gun. Have you tried to set up friend activity with him? He will stick out out of the window still making aim animation only to shoot his finger gun. Hilarious. Lamar is only known for his "Nigga" quote, which was not funny in the first place, and I am ready bet my own money, that not many people will remember him, if he would be actually stripped down from this saying.

Trevor is similar to Lamar, but he is based on nothing more than cheap gimmicks, showing how badass he is. He is not and these three moments where he was stripped down from his "trait" (Bury the Hatchet, Scene with his mother and A ending) show how pathetic and weak he was from the beginning.

Edited by Tycek