1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

kungfucj

Are trevor and lamar the most overrated characters in the gta series?

fac316

Trevor I'd say because the script writers gave him some really bad lines. Lamar is more comic relief.

tm123t

Niko is even more overrated. He was extremely inconsistent. More than any of the characters in GTA V.

Thelema93

Niko is even more overrated. He was extremely inconsistent. More than any of the characters in GTA V.

how so ?

Haha365

Thank you. I applaud you.

J Cobra

Try CJ, Luis, and Johnny.

Why do you even exist?

kungfucj

yeah cj for sure

I like Niko and Tommy; I don't know, to me they are the most credible and true characters with some balls. Take a look at Michael, he's ridiculous; I feel so embarrassed during the cut scenes. Franklin is like a wall, no charisma and Trevor, the f*ck is this ? They screwed up with Michael, they could have done a damn character, and not a fagget who complains incessantly.

Biome

No

Biome

I'm The I I'm The I The I I'm The I I'm T

Haha365

Try CJ, Luis, and Johnny.

Why do you even exist?

"The truth hurts"...

r0llinlacs

I know right guys. The main characters all totally suck and the main character should have been that one hobo under the bridge, or one of the strippers. /sarc

American Venom

Got to love when someone makes such a claim and doesn't actually back it up. "Inconsistent" is what I think of when I think of Trevor. "Arghhhhh f*ck you meth head bikers" a few missions later "No one gives a f*ck about me. Give me a hug".

As for Lamar I just find him to be very annoying kind of like Yusuf in TBOGT really.

SpiderGutz

Franklin is just the most boring, useless character to have ever been used as a GTA protagonist. Everything about him is such a letdown from the expectations set by CJ and the trailers/screenshots. Great at ironing clothes though! Probably among the top GTA clothes ironers.

HAHA well said!

Franklin, very boring and f*cking moans a lot! my white grandma is probably more gangster than him

Trevor - a bit all over the place, loyal yes, Crazy and funny at times

Michael, wow he just shouts and argues ALOT,

Out of the 3 you can clearly see why trevor is overrated. Lamar is a side character, his use of words are funny but thats it, not sure him and trevor can be talked about in the same topic as they are on different levels of importance to the game

Cobhthaigh

Don't know why people keep thinking Franklin needs to be more "gangsta" True, those are his roots, but the idea, his aim, is to move up and out of all of that. The gangsta thing has all been done - GTA:SA. Anymore of that and it'd be too cliché and it'd mirror CJ and his story too much. With CJ we had someone who's "hood" but becomes successful along the journey he takes, often by meeting the right people. More luck than design. Franklin starts the same way, but unlike CJ he doesn't just stay on the ride and hopes it gets better - he shows ambition.

As for Lamar, it was frustrating to see him fumble along and keep getting into trouble, even after Franklin tried helping and warning. He'd have his fat pulled from the fire, only to act ungrateful and would still think he was in the right with his actions. Just wouldn't listen.

Michael? Not much to say, other than he takes alot of crap from his family. He cheated long ago, so his wife decides to do the same, many, many times, years after Michael's transgression, a daughter that holds it over his head but ignores her mom's actions. Jimmy? Don't get me started. I was kinda hoping that when he was sticking out of that limo roof and being a total dbag that the limo woulda found a very low bridge to pass under and cut him in half. Mike should have wooped his ass after that little stunt with the car and credit card.

As for Trevor, I like the off-the-wall and unpredictable things he can be found doing. Switch characters to find him....trying to flush a foot down a toilet, or submerging his head in a sink. Just wish they hadn't made him such a grungy type of loon. It gets old, the frequent pedestrian insults and remarks about his hygiene. Every 15-20 feet come to a stop to correct someone's mouth by jacking their jaws or bowling them over.

Edited by Cobhthaigh

kungfucj

You know something i really liked to do when i got bored?

I would start a mission with michael and when i was near Jimmy i would throw a punch just at the right angle and knock him out.

i then would get a wanted star and after i kicked Jimmy in the head a bit more i went upstairs and started shooting the intire de santa family

(few extra rounds for amanda) then i would set them all on fire.

This is how much i liked this characters but i guess considering that it was actually what rockstar had in mind well done.

Niko was a human being with flaws like everybody else,he did what he needed to do to survive

and even with all of the sh*t he saw and had happened to him he wasnt to quick to judge anyone(even with freaking eddie low)

you know what that says about this character?that he is a real men and a person of integrity,thats the type of people that are extremely rare to find in the real world and the type of characters you dont actually see that much in videogames since niko wasnt exactly the typical anti hero or the typical hero either,he was on the realm of reality. Yeah yeah but sometimes he was a hypocrite,yeah so what? You mean like almost everybody is? inconsistencies are a part of life and people tend to change their mind when they are faced with different situations mostly in situations that they werent even especting.

And on the other side what do you have? You have a character like trevor.

A character that goes to the lowest of lows to appeal to people.

You know why he appeals that much to people?Because he has no principles,he just does whatever he wants to do

at the time discarding anything that might happen in the future(Yolo),he doesnt have strong stances or opinions on anything and instead always hangs out on the middle,on the "whatever vile",and thats what makes him a bad character in my book,not even the fact

they tried to create the ultra super "edgy character" that everybody could circle jerk over to and feel cool cheering for.

You want a real character,with a real personalitiy,with some taught put into them?

dont try to look for it in gta v

Edited by kungfucj

kungfucj

also with all of this being said i still like trevor,what i really hate isnt even the character itself

its the stupid ammount of blind praise he gets most of the time for no actual reason being often called

"the best character ever" and so on and the fact you cant even say anything bad about him

because of the super hardcore fan base he does have(unlike niko,or cj and so on).

Franklin is just a boring character and when it comes to michael there really isnt that much going on

and all the other characters of this game can go suck a bag of dicks.

also R.I.P lazlow

Edited by kungfucj

Cobhthaigh

Niko? Haven't played that gta yet, but I've been wanting to.

kungfucj

Do it dude,its worth it

LordRaijin

Seriously,trevor is just a huge walking cliche,he basically doesnt really have any sort of actually developed personality

with some depth to it like lets say like niko had and the worst are his fans that are constantly throwing around the whole "he is great because like he just does whatever he wants,doesnt judge and is loyal" argument.

they didnt even had the guts to made him a real psychophath and instead build him in a way they could make him "likeable"

he is just the boring "anti heroe yolo" character we see a million times already.

and i have no ideia why anyone would think lamar is a funny character,the guy is abnoxious as hell and doesnt appreciate anything anyone ever does for him,his jokes are lame as hell.

if i hear the phrase you need to get some bitches on yo dick again i am going to kill myself

Mr. Raspberry Jam has an objection.

Trever does too have personality. In fact hes the only character in the game that has actually brought me to laughing tears (I actually had to pause the game to let it all out), and I'm that type of person that don't get easily amused. Later on he starts to fall in love with a woman whom he had threaten to have chopped up into tiny little pieces. That is personality dude.

Are we playing the same game? Trevor is a class act psychopath. He definitely behaves as one. Do you even know the true psychological definition of one is? If not I strongly suggest you hop on over to Google, and start reading.

Edited by LordRaijin

kungfucj

no thats not personality,thats bad writing

LordRaijin

Bad writing? How is it considered bad writing? People love Trevor's character. Look under some of the comments on YouTube, and you'll see how good this character was written. It can't be bad writing when people enjoy it... even to the point where fans attends comic con just to ask the voice actor of Trevor to cuss at them, and then hear fans cheer over it.

Because of the popularity of Trevor, and how his voice actor did such a great job on the character wouldn't surprise me to see that Steven Ogg would be offered many parts for future games to come.

kungfucj

people also loved Hitler back in the day

just because everybody loves something doesnt mean its any good

also » comments on youtube

Lol......

Edited by kungfucj

r0llinlacs

Seriously,trevor is just a huge walking cliche,he basically doesnt really have any sort of actually developed personality

with some depth to it like lets say like niko had and the worst are his fans that are constantly throwing around the whole "he is great because like he just does whatever he wants,doesnt judge and is loyal" argument.

they didnt even had the guts to made him a real psychophath and instead build him in a way they could make him "likeable"

he is just the boring "anti heroe yolo" character we see a million times already.

and i have no ideia why anyone would think lamar is a funny character,the guy is abnoxious as hell and doesnt appreciate anything anyone ever does for him,his jokes are lame as hell.

if i hear the phrase you need to get some bitches on yo dick again i am going to kill myself

Mr. Raspberry Jam has an objection.

Trever does too have personality. In fact hes the only character in the game that has actually brought me to laughing tears (I actually had to pause the game to let it all out), and I'm that type of person that don't get easily amused. Later on he starts to fall in love with a woman whom he had threaten to have chopped up into tiny little pieces. That is personality dude.

Are we playing the same game? Trevor is a class act psychopath. He definitely behaves as one. Do you even know the true psychological definition of one is? If not I strongly suggest you hop on over to Google, and start reading.

I agree, Trevor has the most personality out of all of them. Almost everything about Trevor is true to his character. He's a psychopath with a sweet spot for certain people. Trevor falling in love with Madrazo's 60 year old wife was off the wall funny, ironic, and heartwarming all at the same time. I also agree that people shouldn't be commenting on personality/character aka psychological issues in general when they don't even know the basics of psychology. Trevor's character is perfect in the sense that he is a psychopath. Psychopathy is a characteristic trait, it defines character.

That being said, Franklin and Michael lack character compared to Trevor, with Franklin having the least amount. I can't get into Franklin's character at all because it doesn't feel real. He's not a real character, it's almost as if he's only there because he's black. He feels like a robot and his voice acting is bad. His story plot is... basically non-existent compared to GTA SA's ghetto missions. The ghetto doesn't feel like a ghetto anymore, the ghetto protagonist isn't ghetto at all, there's no gang turf wars, etc. Basically the ghetto in GTA V is not fun anymore, it's just another neighborhood in Los Santos. The most ghetto thing you will do in the story is steal a car from mexican gang members. IMHO, Franklin was a complete fail, from the voice actor to the story line, fail after fail. I'm not racist either, I loved CJ and GTA SA but Franklin and GTA V... can't get into him at all. He does have the most useful special, though, and sicking Chop on random peds is never ending fun!

Basically, imagine an actor from Menace II Society, like "O Dog" Larenz Tate playing Franklin. Even with the terrible story line, I would be 100% more immersed. A good actor makes a huge difference, and that's part of what makes Trevor so great.

Michael, I can get into his character because he has character. He's far more believable than Franklin. Michael's not a very enjoyable character, though. Just problem after problem with his family and he's always miserable and has to see a psychologist because of it. That's not fun. He's more enjoyable outside the story line after the game is finished.

But... Trevor... his character is wow. It matches GTA to the T. He doesn't care about anything, everything he says and does just feels right. He thinks with logic, he's actually pretty smart when he doesn't let his emotions get the best of him. His off-the-wall antics are more than hilarious and he is a superb voice actor, he is a AAA character and his replay value is almost infinite. I think it's obvious why they make us wait through half the story line to unlock Trevor, cause you gotta save the best for last and they gave us the characters in order from worst to best; Franklin, Michael, Trevor.

But, really none of this matters because we're not stuck with just one character, we have all three and no matter who you like, they all work well together. But if you get tired of one, switch to another. If you hate one, kill them at the end of the game. You have the choices to tailor the game to your own liking, and that's even more so with the PC version especially as time goes on and mods come out.

kungfucj

I think calling him an AAA character is over doing it but hey whatever

if you like this character and apreciate it fully more power to you

also anyone with a basic knowledge in psychology would instead know why this

character could never actually exist in real life,if you think you have the basics of it down(whatever that means)

and think this is a somewhat believable human being shows that you still have some work to do

but anyway good post,you know how to put your point across

Edited by kungfucj

Stoney0503

dafaq? we're comparing Trevor to Hitler?

There's a HUGE difference between those two, one is fictional, the other isn't.

Officer Ronson

@MiamiViceCity

You know I am actually starting to think that you fail to grasp the concept that Trevor is a methhead and that he is going to change mood every so often.

Haha365

Really?....just stop.

Otselot

Lamar was just way to stupid and trying to be funny, Trevor if not is probably the most undeveloped character ever in gaming history.

Haha365

Trevor if not is probably the most undeveloped character ever in gaming history.

Lol wow, that is a very bold claim.

WHAT!?

The only two GTA protagonists I have ever liked are Fido (Claude Speed) and Tommy Vercetti. Every other protagonist has just been an annoying disappointment.

...I especially hate Micheal, though. I let him live when I played the game through on 360, but I can't stand hearing him talk when I come out of GTA online. That dude gets a bullet for sure this time. What a bitch.