2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
kungfucj

Are trevor and lamar the most overrated characters in the gta series?

kungfucj

Seriously,trevor is just a huge walking cliche,he basically doesnt really have any sort of actually developed personality

with some depth to it like lets say like niko had and the worst are his fans that are constantly throwing around the whole "he is great because like he just does whatever he wants,doesnt judge and is loyal" argument.

they didnt even had the guts to made him a real psychophath and instead build him in a way they could make him "likeable"

he is just the boring "anti heroe yolo" character we see a million times already.

and i have no ideia why anyone would think lamar is a funny character,the guy is abnoxious as hell and doesnt appreciate anything anyone ever does for him,his jokes are lame as hell.

if i hear the phrase you need to get some bitches on yo dick again i am going to kill myself

Edited by kungfucj

The Deadite

no, the most overrated gta character ever is CJ, the guy is inconsistant as Trevor, which is a shame because they tried to create a human protagonist for the first time but sadly, the story/CJ's personality got lost between Las Venturas and San Fierro.

Edited by Midnight Hitman

kungfucj

you know what i agree with you

cjs personality was pretty bland and somewhat boring

The Deadite

you know what i agree with you

cjs personality was pretty bland and somewhat boring

you could have fooled me with that username, anyways,even though i love Trevor, i can totally understand why he's so hated, he's too crazy to be taken seriously ,he's basically poorly written as a character and they made him look like a joke, and Lamar...?

he's just the inmature friend of Franklin, i don't expect too much of him as a character.

neither of Trevor, but IMO, he's the only character that didn't dissapoint, Michael's trailer made him look like someone with interesting family issues and Franklin looked like someone deep down in the ghetto while Trevor looked like a random crazy asshole..

at the end Michael's family was a cliche of rich spoiled c*nts and issues with them get almost resolved in a single session of verbal abuse with Amanda,Franklin stopped being a gangbanger too soon, Simeon's mission sets were too short, Ma Cipriani was more threatening than Stretch as a nemesis and he stops being interesting when he gets his mansion on the hills.

Trevor was a maniac throught the whole story, even doing heists for the sake of it, being a funny sh*thead IMO and just generally acting out without regard for human life.

Edited by Midnight Hitman

Stoney0503

Nah, not Lamar, Trevor is not the only overrated one, Niko and CJ are definatley overrated.

kungfucj

lamar is a terrible character men,i legit cant believe anyone would think he is "funny"

i wouldnt call niko overrated since most people dont actually like him

i agree on cj trough

thc_404

Nah, not Lamar, Trevor is not the only overrated one, Niko and CJ are definatley overrated.

Shows what you know. Back to GTA Online with you.

Stoney0503

Shows what you know. Back to GTA Online with you.

Nah, I like to share my opinions, thanks.

i wouldnt call niko overrated since most people dont actually like him

Actually a lot of people like him, even outside the forums.

Edited by Stoney0503

thc_404

If your opinion was valid, that'ld be a great start.

Stoney0503

my opinion is valid though, lol.

If you can't accept my opinion, leave.

Edited by Stoney0503

Vice City criminal

Niko is not THAT overrated compared to CJ. I remember a good amount of people calling him a whiny emo in some part of the forum.

Edited by Vice City criminal

thc_404

I get that tastes differ and all that. Let me guess: Michael is your favouritest protagonist evar...

r0llinlacs

I love Trevor and his give-no-f***s attitude, he's the perfect character for a give-no-f***s do-what-you-want kind of game. His voice acting is superb as well and matches his character with perfection.

Franklin is a decent character, not a big fan of the voice acting though, it just doesn't seem like he's trying very hard, and he doesn't sound very "gangster" at all. He sounds like a gated-community, rich-parent raised, college educated black guy trying to sound like a gangster.

Michael is okay. Not exactly who I'd expect in a GTA game, but along with the other characters and his past storyline, he works well.

CJ was a great character but I agree, he lost his roots after leaving Los Santos. IMO the best part of the GTA:SA story were the gang/turf wars. After leaving Los Santos, the game got kind of boring. All the nitty gritty dirty street stuff happens in LS.

The Deadite

I get that tastes differ and all that.

it doesn't seem like that, the insult of "your opinion is meaningless" is cringeworthy as f*ck.

Zanje

and i have no ideia why anyone would think lamar is a funny character,the guy is abnoxious as hell and doesnt appreciate anything anyone ever does for him,his jokes are lame as hell.

I can definitely agree with this, i actually like Lamar and thought he was funny, still do in fact. But the ending of the mission after you save him from the lumber yard showed how selfish, inconsiderate, and unappreciative of a person he is.

That ruined the character for me, That is just something i cant stand in people in the real world and it bleeds over into any fiction.

thc_404

I get that tastes differ and all that.

it doesn't seem like that, the insult of "your opinion is meaningless" is cringeworthy as f*ck.

Aren't you the sensitive little princess...

Haha365

Trevor is not overrated , he plays the role very well. He's the "you don't know what you are going to get" kind of guy. He may kill you or invite you for a drink. In him, R* succeeded in bringing the typical "free roam" chaos and giving him a story and name.

I don't think Lamar is overrated either but he just doesn't have as much depth.

killerx2

Trevor does have depth. If you pay attention in the torture mission to what he is saying and to his other dialogue in the game, you can see he's really smart and understand how the system works.

But R made him as a reflection of us. We probably have some sympathy, intelligence, social skills and desire for more than just destruction, but in a world like GTA, we just want to do whatever the hell we feel like.

And Lamar is slightly overrated.

Btw, Franklins story could have been good, it's basically about a gang banger trying to get out of that life, the problem is that from the second we meet him, he is trying to get out of that life and all about trying to do the smart thing. they should have introduced him as a gang banger and then have him learn that it's not the wisest life style, instead we get a character who doesn't progress much. I still like him as a character though.

Haha365

And Lamar is slightly overrated.

I think he feels overrated because he is only really involved when Franklin is trying to get out of the hood. I think your idea of having more time with Franklin and him actually putting in work for the gang, would have fleshed that out.

kungfucj

I dont see Trevor as a character that actually has any depth to him.

They basically decided to make the character into a "i can do whatever i want yolo" type of guy.

if they had made him a rapist and a serious f*cked up twisted serial killer(which i dont think it would fit well into the game btw) it would have been

something,but they didnt which i am ok with it but at least be more original.

»he doesnt have any sexual prefferences and has the whole "a hole is a hole" meantality that for some reason

really appeals to this generation

»they never get him to kill anybody that is seriously likeable and when he does they always find some way for him

to redeem himself making it seem like "he is a killer but he has a human side i can relate to"

»they still make him somewhat loyal aldo he can be a huge hypocrite at times because they only actually make

him loyal for some characters

»leaves his trevor industries plan in mid game

»constantly killing people for no actual reason,not even because he was angry or at least upset( he f*cked up his cousin and his gf in the apartment over nothing)

»rockstars way of trying to create an "edgy character"

with all of this being said i dont think he is actually a bad character,just mediocre

same thing with franklin and michael was ok aldo i really grew to dislike him later on the game and decided to kill him in my first

time finishing the game(mostly for what he did to lazlow)

Stoney0503

I get that tastes differ and all that. Let me guess: Michael is your favouritest protagonist evar...

No, you clearly don't get how opinions or tastes work, not one bit, evidenced by your first (pathetic) post.

My favourite protagonist? That would be Tommy, but so what If someones favourite protagonist is Micheal?

Let me guess, you can't stand it when someone complains about GTA IV? Can you?

Thelema93

I don't think trevor or Lamar are praised enough to be classed as overrated. A majority of people on these forums hate trevor and I don't see lamar getting a lot of praise either.

But I disagree about trevor being a walking cliché

He's anything but that. If you want walking cliches just look at most if not all the 3D era protagonists.

Mintal

I can't stand Trevor. R* tried too hard to make him seem crazy, aggressive and psychopathic. His overall character becomes stale very quickly because it feels too "over the top" in my opinion.

He shouldn't have been a protagonist at all, more a character that just takes part in the story. Then he shouldn't be so wannabe-funny as he is in V, but more like Eddie Low from GTA IV... a creepy, f*cked up bastard doing some insanely sick and disgusting stuff.

Edited by Mintal

Fuzzknuckles

Trevor is sh*t, the worst protag in GTA history.

Lamar is funny, but irritatingly stupid and overwhelmingly loved by people that don't understand how awful it would be to have a person like him in their life.

Haha365

Trevor is sh*t, the worst protag in GTA history.

Wow.....just shows you how diverse people's opinions really can be.

Thelema93

Trevor is the perfect representation of GTA. He basically is GTA the character.

kungfucj

i dont really think so,you have the first two characters who are just regular mobsters

going into cj the regular "gangster" into niko belik a hardened criminal with a touch for violence

i dont think trevor really fits in that well considering

Edited by kungfucj

Thelema93

What I mean is most players favourite thing to do in any GTA game is go on mindless rampages.

It's a classic GTA activity. But with every other protagonist it didn't feel right doing it. It felt like it was going against the protagonists personality but with trevor it fit in perfectly. Being a lunatic and going on destructive rampages actually fits Trevor's character . But rampaging with say Niko or cj or pretty much every other protagonist broke immersion, at least for me.

So that's why I think trevor is the perfect representation of GTA. If GTA was a character I think it would be trevor.

Just my opinion of course.

Shadowfennekin

They're not overrated. They're my top two favorites in the series. Trevor and Michael are underrated by the older GTA fans. Franklin deserves to be underrated as he didn't do much after getting his new house.

CJ is clearly the overrated one. I've only played SA thrice and fail to see how he or the game is the best thing since sliced bread.

lastmanonearth

I don`t know about Trevor being overrated, I`m certainly not a huge fan but I just wish they had made a very sinister story revolving only around Trevor and to devil with Michael and Franklin. Imagine the kind of suspenseful psycho simulator that GTA V could have been then! Trevor should have been the crazy lunatic that he is, but a little bit more subtle. OK a lot more subtle.

Franklin is just the most boring, useless character to have ever been used as a GTA protagonist. Everything about him is such a letdown from the expectations set by CJ and the trailers/screenshots. Great at ironing clothes though! Probably among the top GTA clothes ironers.