2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Chipicao

[REL|V] Snapmatic Studio

Chipicao

Snapmatic uploading isn't working for me so I decided to investigate the format used to save these pictures. FYI they're located in \Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA V\Profiles\<your profile>\GTA5##########
One thing led to another and I ended up making a viewer with lots of features. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/egcem4nx28nc7qd/Snapmatic_Studio.zip

2e3347404187157.jpg

P.S. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

EvilFiend

tmpIbbeyP.jpg

Id rather just screencap than use the stupid in game phone method. Were on PC no need to use a crap programme designed for consoles to be able to do what PCs have been doing for over a decade

Ash_735

Ignore the negative dude above, this isn't bad, I'm sure the Snapmatic users, which this place has plenty of, will appreciate it, like the info capture as well, interesting to see what the game records when it saves these.

The_GTA

I challenge you to create a meme snapshot.

Nice work on the viewer! The interface looks very natural.

Edited by The_GTA

George Costanza

Thanks homie!

2wpte9k.jpg

GTATAG

tmpIbbeyP.jpg

Id rather just screencap than use the stupid in game phone method. Were on PC no need to use a crap programme designed for consoles to be able to do what PCs have been doing for over a decade

What are you talking about? Take a second and appreciate Chipicao for taking part of the GTAV modding scene, especially now that's super early and there are practically next to 0 mods available.

On topic:

I can't see my snapmatic photos as well, not on disk or on cloud, very weird... Thanks for this mod, will try it.

Chipicao

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I can see where EvilFiend is coming from. On PCs we're used to taking screenshots directly, without the hassle of going through the game menu and then upload pics to an online gallery or using 3rd party apps to export them.

But there are other benefits to having a dedicated in-game function, which I'm not gonna mention for the sake of defending my app. Those who get them, get them, otherwise nobody's forced to use "crap programs".

It's just too bad that R* decided to implement such a crappy resolution. I only realized after I had already researched the format. The files are 516KB in size, but for the most part the contain other data. The image itself weighs a lot less.

Imagine how cool it would have been if the game rendered pictures taken with Snapmatic at a much higher resolution, like 4 or 8 megapixels. Maybe with mods... :rol:

PS Thanks to whoever renamed and moved my topic to the appropriate section.

Edited by Chipicao

gamerzworld
It's just too bad that R* decided to implement such a crappy resolution. I only realized after I had already researched the format. The files are 516KB in size, but for the most part the contain other data. The image itself weighs a lot less.

Imagine how cool it would have been if the game rendered pictures taken with Snapmatic at a much higher resolution, like 4 or 8 megapixels. Maybe with mods... :rol:

With the amount of Snapmatics that are uploaded to Social Club each day, it's understandable they'd want them at a lower resolution. A bit interesting that the "Game time" is supposedly year 2009 as the game takes place in 2013.

Chipicao

It's 2013 if you look at pics taken in Online ;)

So maybe the single player campaign takes place in 2009 and Online events are 4 years later.

Was there ever an official confirmation about 2013?

IIRC after the very first trailer it was concluded that the game takes place during or after the recession, which in the US was 2007-2009.

Edited by Chipicao

gamerzworld

It's 2013 if you look at pics taken in Online ;)

So maybe the single player campaign takes place in 2009 and Online events are 4 years later.

Was there ever an official confirmation about 2013?

IIRC after the very first trailer it was concluded that the game takes place during or after the recession, which in the US was 2007-2009.

Online is actually supposed to take place a few months before the events of single player. I'm pretty sure 2013 is confirmed by one of the in-game websites.

Chipicao

Online is actually supposed to take place a few months before the events of single player. I'm pretty sure 2013 is confirmed by one of the in-game websites.

Someone clearly did something wrong. Someone at Rockstar :D

In the first snap you can see the time matches that in-store clock perfectly.

In the second snap the time matches the phone clock from the screenshot (off by a few minutes because I couldn't take both shots at once).

But most importantly, 21.06.2009 was in fact a Sunday as the phone says :)http://www.timeanddate.com/date/weekday.html?day=21&month=6&year=2009

85763d405055685.jpg 2ac527405055691.jpg

Of course this can all be a coincidence. But it's a darn big one.

Isn't there anything that shows a complete date in-game? A website or news station? I haven't had much time to play.

Edited by Chipicao

PatrickJr.

Nice lil application man <3

Mast3rsTutorials

This is really cool, I wanted to make a video extracter but don't know what format the videos are in.

lpgunit

Any info on the format used for them pics i.e. if they're a modified PNG/TGA/JPEG or something like that?

gamerzworld

Someone clearly did something wrong. Someone at Rockstar :D

In the first snap you can see the time matches that in-store clock perfectly.

In the second snap the time matches the phone clock from the screenshot (off by a few minutes because I couldn't take both shots at once).

But most importantly, 21.06.2009 was in fact a Sunday as the phone says :)http://www.timeanddate.com/date/weekday.html?day=21&month=6&year=2009

85763d405055685.jpg 2ac527405055691.jpg

Of course this can all be a coincidence. But it's a darn big one.

Isn't there anything that shows a complete date in-game? A website or news station? I haven't had much time to play.

Just a quick confirmation that it is supposed to be 2013. Seems like a dev did indeed f*ck up.

1739584430.jpg

Edited by gamerzworld

Samutz

Any info on the format used for them pics i.e. if they're a modified PNG/TGA/JPEG or something like that?

They are 960x536 JPEGs with an extra 292 bytes added the the beginning of the file (header information used by the game and RGSC). They can be converted to normal JPEGs by removing the first 292 bytes with a hex editor and adding .jpg to the file name. Photoshop, IrfanView, and some other image programs (but not all) can detect them as JPEGs and open them.

Chipicao

They are 960x536 JPEGs with an extra 292 bytes added the the beginning of the file (header information used by the game and RGSC). They can be converted to normal JPEGs by removing the first 292 bytes with a hex editor and adding .jpg to the file name. Photoshop, IrfanView, and some other image programs (but not all) can detect them as JPEGs and open them.

No, not quite. The actual file structure is like this:

int32 magicNumber //0x01000000

byte[256] //Unicode string in the form "PHOTO - date time" with padding

int32 crc

int32 eof

int32 jsonOffset

int32 titleOffset

int32 descriptionOffset

char[4] imageMarker //"JPEG"

int32 bufferSize

int32 imageSize

byte[imageSize] //actual JPEG image

byte[bufferSize - imageSize] //random leftover data from the gfx buffer

char[4] jsonMarker //"JSON"

int32 jsonLength

char[jsonLength] //image metadata

char[4] titleMarker //"TITL"

int32 titleLength //usualy 256

byte[titleLength] //title is actually a null-terminated string, but the rest is random filler-data

char[4] descriptionMarker //"DESC"

int32 descriptionLength //usualy 256

byte[descriptionLength] //again null-terminated with random padding

char[4] end //"JEND"

So it's not enough to remove just the first 292 bytes, you have to remove the end as well, relative to the JPEG size.

@Shoun YW :)

Edited by Chipicao

nyolc8

Why you have to remove the end as well? I made a converter app (just drag the files onto the window and it creates jpg files) and I only removing the first 292 bytes and it works nicely. Or how do you mean the end as well?

Chipicao

Because it's not all JPEG data till the end.

The image is only a fraction of the file; it has a specific length which you need to use if you want to extract it properly.

Yes, you can do a half-assed job and remove only the first 292 bytes. And it might work because some image viewers ignore the data at the end. But that doesn't make it right.

PS I've edited my previous post to include a complete and analytical file structure.

Edited by Chipicao

PacketOverload_x64bit

Any chance you can identify why Schatmatic only screens in half res? Great tool by the way! REALLY appreciate it good sir. Thanks.

Packet

Automan

Uh! Very nice tool! Very thanks! :D

giveaccess

Ignore the negative dude above, this isn't bad, I'm sure the Snapmatic users, which this place has plenty of, will appreciate it, like the info capture as well, interesting to see what the game records when it saves these.

Did this guy get banned according to the "BUSTED!"?

Anyone nice tool! Now I can finally upload screenshots from my snapmatic photos to the steam "artwork".

TheNinth

I'd love to have features to change metadata and especially the JPEG contents.

Quakex64

Ive used this since I found it but I am now having difficulty trying to get it to stay open.. are there any requirements to having it work right like VC redist, or C++ thing?

video:

https://youtu.be/PGVSX9qmJ88

Maryo_Nicle7

Seems epic, I'll try it soon :D:r*:

IPMl

i just created an account to say thanks