2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA V using 7GB of Ram

umairbasit

GTA V is using 7gb of ram and it starts to stutter at that point.

i have 8Gb of ram.

Should i get more ram or is the game suppose to use this much ram?

Also, I have everything turned to ultra and running it at 4k.

Does this make a difference?

Edited by umairbasit

GrandTeaRedemption

You mean your entire computer is using 7gb ram right?

GrandTeaRedemption

Gta 5 pc alone uses around 2.5GB-3GB RAM.

Mine uses 2.8GB RAM

Edited by xban
  • Like 1

You mean your entire computer is using 7gb ram right?

No the game alone is using about 6980MB!

Starts low around 2.5GB -GB but then slowly slowly it gets to about GB and starts stuttering.

Also, I have everything turned to ultra and running it at 4k.

Does this make a difference?

BiscuitTheCat59

Well my PC runs at about 1.8gb when not gaming and it uses 7gb when playing GTA. So GTA is using around 5gb of ram, which is the most ram any of my games has ever used. Even Arma 3 doesn't use that much.

Edited by BiscuitTheCat59

Something not right for sure, i got 8GB too, and most i noticed while alt tabbing to do some extra things was 7.12, usually it sits around 6.58, on idle system uses 1.7-2.30

I too have 8GB of ram but when playing GTA, ive only noticed it go up to about 5.50-6.50GB (70-75% usage), i have no performance issues aside from CPU stuffs (getting a new one this week though). My GPU VRAM hits almost 80% out of 4GB.

Imho, id just wait for a hopeful perfomance patch before upgrading, kill some background processes if you need too though, free up a bit more ram.

Lamborghini1335

Mine uses 2.65 on idle, but gta 5 is using at least 5 gb on med/high setting 1080p.. Should I get more or should I wait until I upgrade my mobo and cpu?

I play on full HD and it also uses 7gb. It starts using 5gb but keeps increasing until it reaches 7gb.

Pretty sure it's a memory leak. Lots of people have reported having this issue, and after playing for a certain amount of time the game will stutter and have frame drops.

SlackulatoR

Same thing happened in Dying Light and they fixed it, so hopefully they'll sort it out. What I don't get is if it's a memory leak wouldn't they have noticed all that time the game was in development?

I play on full HD and it also uses 7gb. It starts using 5gb but keeps increasing until it reaches 7gb.

same here.

Are you guys using the Ignore Limits option in the Graphics Menu? Are you going over what your GPU can handle VRAM wise? Because if you do, the game will then dump it into main RAM instead, which, considering textures alone can knock it up to 3.5GB, you'd be shifting some serious weigh over to the system memory.

• Like 2

DennisBerry

I installed 16GB DDR3 yesterday, and GTA V + Windows used sometimes 8GB to 12GB. Holy never thought a game would eat that much RAM.

3 days ago I had 6GB RAM: GTA V + Windows used 5.9GB out of 6GB

2 days ago I decided to upgrade all my RAM to 8GB: GTA V + Windows used 7.9GB out of 8GB

1 day ago I decided to buy and install another 8GB so I had 16GB RAM in total: GTA V + Windows used 12GB out of 16GB

Edited by DennisBerry

I have to buy a new RAM Stick because I have to close all programms like Chrome, Outlook and Firefox. I have 8GB now and the game is always on 89-93% of RAM-consumption.

7300mb here. It seems it's increasing even more. I have 8gb, would this be the reason why gpu power and usage are dropping massively and causing huge lag?

My pc has 16gb of ram.

I run it at 60-70fps with everything on very high (no xxaa options though) and I still have micro stutter when I'm driving.

DennisBerry

would this be the reason why gpu power and usage are dropping massively and causing huge lag?

Yes this could be one of the reasons that the RAM is the bottleneck. When I had 8GB I noticed lagg aswell when my RAM was getting full.

Now I have 16GB and I dont have stutterings anymore. :D

Be aware when you buy new RAM, you need to buy the same model/brand. Otherwise the timings/ speed won't collaborate with each other in DUAL Channel.

I still have micro stutter when I'm driving.

This is a known issue for your graphics card (GTX 970)

Hope they will fix this soon.

It was using all my 16Gb but now it only uses 8Gb and the stuttering problem has disappeared.

What did i do? - Before starting the game, open Task Manager. End Process - nvspcaps64.exe - nvidia captive server

Try it. She's now a problem free, smooth running piece of beauty.

nightmare-slain

i think there is a memory leak. read something about if you switch from the game and do something else. not sure though. anyway 7GB is ALOT of memory to be using. not sure how that happened when you only have 8GB. i can understand if you have 16GB. with 8GB windows doesn't actually use 8GB it's more like ... 7.8GB and the OS itself requires 2GB (64bit). so for some reason the OS is having RAM taken away from it. Not sure that's possible as the OS would have priority/restricted access to RAM over a program.

I get about 5-6GB RAM usage and 2GB of that is from Windows 8.1. GTA V is only used 3-4GB for me.

GTA V is using 7gb of ram and it starts to stutter at that point.

i have 8Gb of ram.

Should i get more ram or is the game suppose to use this much ram?

You've got a driver of some kind or some condition leading to a memory leak, that isn't normal ram useage for GTA V. UNLESS you're counting system ram AND vram. When I first started playing on a 8GB ram system (With an additional 4gb VRAM) W7 would complain about GTA V's memory useage even though I never saw it go over 2.5GB~ or less than 30% of my actual ram. I had to use regedit to disable the memory warnings/resource monitor to stop it's complaints, I'd never had a game do this before even titles that use way more than 2.5GB. E.g a heavily modified Skyrim.

Something is wrong here. According to task manager Gta V is using less than 3gb but the system is using almost 7.5gb. Wtf?

yeah same for me, i have about 5,2gb free and the game can fill almost 3gb, yet in task manager it says its using double that ? And i dont even run high settings, most at medium or even lower....

Edited by swebarb

It skyrocketed upwards when I was more than double over my VRAM allowance. It never has gone 6.5 with only +40% over. I am unsure and cannot verify if higher textures bloat RAM usage IF they are within VRAM limits.

For me was severely going over the VRAM limit.

There is something wrong with it. My brothers classmate uses only 1,7 Gb of RAM when playing GTA5, I was very surprised when I heard that. I have 8Gb of RAM. It uses 4-6 usually. Sometimes goes up to 8 and stuttering appears followed by a crash.