3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Any way to enable TXAA without MSAA?

Johnny Sins

Johnny Sins

I know TXAA is considered to have a larger performance impact, but in this case it doesn't. I only lost about 4 more frames (excluding the performance impact of MSAA) using both TXAA and MSAA x2 as opposed to just MSAA x2. What causes a large perfomance impact (10+ frames), however, is MSAA.

I've tried setting the TXAA value to "true" in the settings.xml file, but that doesn't change anything in game.

Edited by Flight_School_12/08

Even if you could force TXAA by itself it still has to use MSAA to actually work. That's why it's configured like that in the options.

In my opinion, TXAA is probably the worse AA to use. You use MSAA to sharpen the image then it blurs it. Either use just MSAA if you have the card for it or use FXAA if you like a little AA with a small impact to performance.

Edited by laodnig
  • Like 1

Johnny Sins

Even if you could force TXAA by itself it still has to use MSAA to actually work. That's why it's configured like that in the options.

In my opinion, TXAA is probably the worse AA to use. You use MSAA to sharpen the image then it blurs it. Either use just MSAA if you have the card for it or use FXAA if you like a little AA with a small impact to performance.

Alright, thanks. Do you know of a less performance intensive AA solution that I could externally force into the game? (excluding FXAA) SweetFX doesn't seem to work with Windows 8.

Edited by Flight_School_12/08

LankanComrade

I wouldn't say its performance intensive, enable MLAA in the NVIDIA control panel for GTAV and it will help negate some of the performance impact of MSAA.

Msaa 2x is a must as anything skinny like a lightpole becomes pixles last 50 ft.

Edited by p2skater1

Johnny Sins

I wouldn't say its performance intensive, enable MLAA in the NVIDIA control panel for GTAV and it will help negate some of the performance impact of MSAA.

I don't see an option for MLAA there.

MLAA? it doesn't exist

there is only MFAA

I am using this, but I don't know how it acutally work and how it improve graphics

RadioActiveLobster

MLAA? it doesn't exist

there is only MFAA

I am using this, but I don't know how it acutally work and how it improve graphics

MLAA is an AMD based AA solution (Morphological Anti-Aliasing) but it doesn't exist in GTA V (if that's what you meant)

As for MFAA, I don't even have an option for it with the latest drivers, though that could be because I have SLI enabled and it doesn't seem to work with SLI.

Thank you Lexus.

Just one more question. Is it a good idea to turn on MFAA if I am using MSAA 2x with TXAA enabled ?

I have read on the internet that MFAA is a piece of cra*,

I don't really know, just try it. When everything will be ok just leave it, when it doesn't - turn it off

In AC: Unity MFAA works really good.

Johnny Sins

In Nvidia Control Panel

va3wlmn.png

In English it's called Multi-Frame Samples AA

Doesn't appear in my menu.

In Nvidia Control Panel

va3wlmn.png

In English it's called Multi-Frame Samples AA

Doesn't appear in my menu.

Sorry, I forgot to say: MFAA is working only on Maxwell GPU.

GTX970, GTX 980, GTX970M, GTX980M

• Like 1

So I enabled MFAA in nvidia control panel + I have MSAA 2x (TXAA and FXAA are turned off).

I can`t notice any jaggies, everything looks so smooth in 1080p (and Im playing 2,5 meters away from my FullHD TV) :)

-In the documents folder/Rockstar games/GTA V, there is this settings file. In it it says :

MSAA value=2

MSAAQuality value="0"

What is MSAA quality and why there isnt any option to change it ingame ??

Edited by FicZGB

jippa_lippa

I did some intense testing and i can pretty much say that MFAA actually looks amazing (with or without TXAA), but it steals a couple of frames (3,4) from the frramerate.

If you can enable it, the drop is very slight, but surely is not less demanding than MSAA (As nvidia says).

As for TXAA, i was sure it was going to cripple performance but it actually feels like it makes the game 1,2 frame faster! It only comes to the style you like.

The TXAA makes everything a tiny tiny bit less sharp, but it gets rid of almost all aliasing. you can't see a single pixel already with 2X.

MFAA (and no TXAA) makes you see some pixels and very light jagged edges, but the image looks sharper overall.

The performance is pretty similar in all cases.

Still an impressive technology! With only a small drop of 2,3 PFS you get the quality of a 4X MSAA while using 2X MSAA.

And by the way v-synch forced by nvidia panel works so much better than the one enabled ingame.

I did some intense testing and i can pretty much say that MFAA actually looks amazing (with or without TXAA), but it steals a couple of frames (3,4) from the frramerate.

If you can enable it, the drop is very slight, but surely is not less demanding than MSAA (As nvidia says).

As for TXAA, i was sure it was going to cripple performance but it actually feels like it makes the game 1,2 frame faster! It only comes to the style you like.

The TXAA makes everything a tiny tiny bit less sharp, but it gets rid of almost all aliasing. you can't see a single pixel already with 2X.

MFAA (and no TXAA) makes you see some pixels and very light jagged edges, but the image looks sharper overall.

The performance is pretty similar in all cases.

Still an impressive technology! With only a small drop of 2,3 PFS you get the quality of a 4X MSAA while using 2X MSAA.

And by the way v-synch forced by nvidia panel works so much better than the one enabled ingame.

Very nice analysis, I agree, those types of antialiasing should be used (especially MFAA combined with MSAA 2x). FXAA is a mess and looks god awful.

About vsync, do you put it on "ON" or "Adaptive" (I locked my framerate @ 40 FPS) ?? What about triple buffering and threaded optimization, would they increase the performance ?

Edited by FicZGB

So people, can you share your opinions on MSAA 2X + MFAA ? Does someone maybe uses that combination with Nvidia TXAA ?

jippa_lippa

Guys disable aby AA ingame and force TXAA though nvidia panel.

I now have a rock solid 60FPS, everything (included advanced graphics) maxed out and a nice antialiasng.

A bit worse than MSAA but much better than FXAA

Edited by jippa_lippa

Never saw an Option to turn txaa on in The Control Panel.

where is it ?

Edited by sly1286

You can't force TXAA inside the NCP. Has to be turned on by the game's settings.