2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Red "X" kill indicator

Suppa K

I'm sure you've all noticed by now that you can actually turn off the "kill effect" of the screen flashing blue when ever you got a kill. It was great to see that yet I still noticed we do not have an option to disable the red "x" marker kill indicator that appears over the reticule when ever someone actually dies.

I also actually noticed that it's different from the console versions. In the console version the simple reticule would turn into an x but it was pretty subtle, in this it's... Rather large and even more annoying it seems. I guess I could be wrong since I haven't played GTA V for more than a year possibly.

I'm hoping someone figures out how tom disable this thing, it can't be impossible. I do know it does not show up when killing someone in "ADS" mode(aim down sights) while in first person which is more than bearable for now but I do like playing in third person and I feel like that red X kill indicator has become even more obnoxious.

can someone explain why it's annoying?

I'm just actually curious. although i can understand if it's really big but on consoles i dont get the hate.

GrandTeaRedemption

how to do turn off the flash kill effect? It fking annoys me, everytime it happens, i feel like I have been shot.

I don't see how that "X" could be annoying, but I could probably assure you someone out there will mod it out, as for the flashing blue for each time you murder someone, I think that is a permanent feature so it keeps the player aware that they killed someone, even though they already know they did lol.

TheAdmiester

how to do turn off the flash kill effect? It fking annoys me, everytime it happens, i feel like I have been shot.

Settings>Display>"Screen Kill Effects"

Personally, I find the X actually useful, since it can be hard to tell if you simply knocked an enemy down or if you killed them outright in the middle of an intense gunfight. I can definitely see why you would want to mod it out though.

I'm just actually curious. although i can understand if it's really big but on consoles i dont get the hate.

Personally, I just like having a clear view of the people I'm shooting, the bullet holes and blood effects or seeing some way a guy falls down. I like having a clean clear view of all the action, and especially at my reticule which is an area I focus on a lot, it gets in the way.

It's still in first person if you're not using "ADS" and there it is less annoying but still bad.

I also don't need to be told when a guy is actually dead, I like to be able to judge a kill on my own. I hated it for this very reason in Max Payne 3 because once that x appeared, every shot after that felt stupid and like a waste of time and ammo because he was in fact dead.

I hate hit markers in any type of game to be honest, and I hate it especially in GTA V because the GTA(and most Rockstar games) series are some of my favorite games that I will and have played for years and years to come. It's like having a beautiful portrait with a spec of red paint right smack dab in the middle. I can still enjoy it, but that little mark will always detract from it.

Personally, I find the X actually useful, since it can be hard to tell if you simply knocked an enemy down or if you killed them outright in the middle of an intense gunfight. I can definitely see why you would want to mod it out though.

Yeah, I can see why it would be useful and in Max Payne 3 Arcade mode it was VERY useful because you wanted to pull as many headshots as you could for a higher score. When I'm playing story mode though with or without cheats? f*ck no, I want to mindlessly fill guys with lead and just shoot guys as many times as I deem necessary because I'm playing for fun and aesthetics.

With GTA V it's the same, it gets in my way and makes things less challenging by confirming kills and leaving no surprises or making me feel like I shouldn't empty a magazine into a guys chest when the first two killed him.

Edited by Suppa K
  • Like 2

People don't like the kill marker because it's not realistic and kills immersion.

• Like 3

wait for mods ;))

Yeah, I am. It's just kind of annoying that they went as far to let us remove their flashy flashing screen effect but won't let us remove simple hit markers is just kind of frustrating.

If the hit markers were as subtle as they were in MP3, I wouldn't care as much, but f*ck me these are bad. Shooting people in the far distance the X can someone basically then obscure their whole body which yeah sure I know there dead but theres nothing more immersion breaking than seeing a big red "X" pop up in my field of view.

People don't like the kill marker because it's not realistic and kills immersion.

Thank you! f*cking exactly!

Edited by Suppa K

Yes killing countless "people" and escaping police quite easly is very realistic. And lets not bring in realistic reanimation.

People talking about realism in virtual game... Jezzz get over it, wait for a mod or mod it yourself.

• Like 2

Yes killing countless "people" and escaping police quite easly is very realistic. And lets not bring in realistic reanimation.

People talking about realism in virtual game... Jezzz get over it, wait for a mod or mod it yourself.

You're an idiot, immersion doesn't have be realistic, seriously how dense and stupid can you be? Not wanting hit markers for ANY reason is legitimate. I am okay if you seriously need them in a game, besides competitive ones which I don't agree with actually but as long as I always have the option to not have them.

I understand you Suppa, I don't like hit markers too :/

It's just so hard for people to understand, and as dumb as it sounds it's kind of a really important thing for me in a game like this. I didn't mind hit markers when I played CoD4 but these days I couldn't play something like Battlefield 4 or Insurgency with hit markers.

I guess another way to imagine it is think about watching an action movie and then seeing hit markers every time someone got shot, that would be annpying as hell. I understand in games they are useful but to me it's a handicap which I don't appreciate being forced on to me. Also I could have sworn that the hit markers in the last gen consoles version were smaller. I don't remember them being this obnoxious and big.

Jesus, it's just an indicator to let you know someone is dead. You will most likely stop shooting the enemy you're engaging when you see it, so in theory it saves you ammo, instead of having you wondering whether the enemy is dead or not...

• Like 1

Yes killing countless "people" and escaping police quite easly[sic] is very realistic.

Not at all realistic, which is why I will make a personal mod that gives the player character 10% of the hitpoints that it has now. I'm all for realism and immersion.

In much the same vein, I'd like the kill marker to be gone. You get me now?

Edited by sjblack2014

Not at all realistic, which is why I will make a personal mod that gives the player character 10% of the hitpoints that it has now. I'm all for realism and immersion.

Have fun dying the instant a car touches you at anything higher than 5mph.

Have fun dying the instant a car touches you at anything higher than 5mph.

I made these same modifications in GTA IV, I completed the campaign no problems. High speed collisions will kill me instantly, medium speed collisions will send me to the hospital (wasted), and rightfully so.

You should try it sometimes, makes for a much tenser and immersive experience. GTA becomes a much better game.

Edited by sjblack2014

• 1 month later...

Personally, I just like having a clear view of the people I'm shooting, the bullet holes and blood effects or seeing some way a guy falls down. I like having a clean clear view of all the action, and especially at my reticule which is an area I focus on a lot, it gets in the way.

It's still in first person if you're not using "ADS" and there it is less annoying but still bad.

I also don't need to be told when a guy is actually dead, I like to be able to judge a kill on my own. I hated it for this very reason in Max Payne 3 because once that x appeared, every shot after that felt stupid and like a waste of time and ammo because he was in fact dead.

I hate hit markers in any type of game to be honest, and I hate it especially in GTA V because the GTA(and most Rockstar games) series are some of my favorite games that I will and have played for years and years to come. It's like having a beautiful portrait with a spec of red paint right smack dab in the middle. I can still enjoy it, but that little mark will always detract from it.

Yeah, I can see why it would be useful and in Max Payne 3 Arcade mode it was VERY useful because you wanted to pull as many headshots as you could for a higher score. When I'm playing story mode though with or without cheats? f*ck no, I want to mindlessly fill guys with lead and just shoot guys as many times as I deem necessary because I'm playing for fun and aesthetics.

With GTA V it's the same, it gets in my way and makes things less challenging by confirming kills and leaving no surprises or making me feel like I shouldn't empty a magazine into a guys chest when the first two killed him.

I agree with Suppa K 100%. I too am a Max Payne 3 fan (one of my favourite games of all time on the 360) and loved GTA5 when first released in 2013, but the X indicator bugged me so much I didn't play again it after I beat the story mode. I was really hoping the PC version would have a simple 'Disable' option, but no.

If my gaming history is correct, the X kill indicator started popping up in the Battlefield series a couple of years ago and it really bothered me. Why don't developers give players the choice to turn it off?? If you want or need it, great. If you don't need it, let us turn it off. Why is that so hard? It doesn't disadvantage anyone.

The PC version is awesome, don't get me wrong, and I am grateful it is such an excellent port. But lacking basic options such as this (and a better field of view) are sticking out like a sore thumb.

Lmao. You're playing the wrong game. Cool, if you want a challenge set your HP to 10, but don't say you want it to be "realistic". GTA is totally un-realistic, 10HP or not. You just sound like one of them console plebs who say 30FPS is a "cinematic" experience.

OT: Get Insurgency.

I always interpreted that blue kill effect to be a rush simulation for killing a person, I think its really cool and gives you an extra feeling when you kill people if it makes sense.

Lmao. You're playing the wrong game. Cool, if you want a challenge set your HP to 10, but don't say you want it to be "realistic". GTA is totally un-realistic, 10HP or not. You just sound like one of them console plebs who say 30FPS is a "cinematic" experience.

Just a word, GTA always was very realistic (until GTA V, and GTA Online) because GTA always was a satire on the real world (until GTA V...), but the gameplay isn't realistic.

...as for the flashing blue for each time you murder someone, I think that is a permanent feature so it keeps the player aware that they killed someone, even though they already know they did lol.

Apparently you didn't read that in this very topic, this feature can be turned off.

SmokesWithCigs

Whats so bad about the kill indicator? thats how you know the target is dead . you people on this site complain about every damn thing...." oh gawd the blue fash indicator hurts my fragilee wussy little eyes and gives my wussy brain a headache. i think i might have a seizure. its making my wussy nose bleed oh woe is me!"

SmokesWithCigs

Shut up.

SmokesWithCigs

You're not realistic

Just a word, GTA always was very realistic (until GTA V, and GTA Online) because GTA always was a satire on the real world (until GTA V...), but the gameplay isn't realistic.

There is no sign of intelligent life on this site and this post provides me with no hope whats so ever

Edited by SmokesWithCigs

SmokesWithCigs

You're an idiot, immersion doesn't have be realistic, seriously how dense and stupid can you be? Not wanting hit markers for ANY reason is legitimate. I am okay if you seriously need them in a game, besides competitive ones which I don't agree with actually but as long as I always have the option to not have them.

I understand you Suppa, I don't like hit markers too :/

It's just so hard for people to understand, and as dumb as it sounds it's kind of a really important thing for me in a game like this. I didn't mind hit markers when I played CoD4 but these days I couldn't play something like Battlefield 4 or Insurgency with hit markers.

I guess another way to imagine it is think about watching an action movie and then seeing hit markers every time someone got shot, that would be annpying as hell. I understand in games they are useful but to me it's a handicap which I don't appreciate being forced on to me. Also I could have sworn that the hit markers in the last gen consoles version were smaller. I don't remember them being this obnoxious and big.

Its a video game not an action movie thats the reason for hitmarkers and hit points to tally a score which has been the trademark of video games since pong and pac man. now whos the idiot? i'm glad yoiu are on pc and not consoles i dont want yo to ruin my gaming experince wIth your dumb sh*t.