3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why do people INSIST on comparisons?

Vendetta ™

Vendetta ™

As the title states, why do people need to compare say - IV and V? The games are almost COMPLETELY different, up to the point where it'd be like comparing Shawshank Redemption to Lethal Weapon. (For the record, I'm talking about the games themselves (Themes, Gameplay...), not their elements like Story, Vehicles and the lot.) Am I hypocrite? Yes, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Is it SO very hard to enjoy the games based on their own merits?

• Like 1

Pump Action Pimp

Uhm, maybe because they are games in the same series, made by the same developers, in the same universe, running on the same engine (a new build) etc.

Edited by Pump Action Pimp
  • Like 6

Vendetta ™

Uhm, maybe because they are games in the same series, made by the same developers, in the same universe, running on the same engine (a new build) etc.

That's beyond the point.

The games, whether they are in the same series or not, are all very distinct in tone, theme and pacing.

• Like 4

Fuzzknuckles

That's beyond the point.

The games, whether they are in the same series or not, are all very distinct in tone, theme and pacing.

Indeed they are, but people have always liked to hold up their favourite thing and say 'mine's better than yours'.

• Like 3
Signatures are dumb anyway.

Sunrise Driver

I agree. GTA IV is a great game. And GTA Saint's Row V is a great game as well. No need to compare. Just enjoy them.

• Like 3

Pump Action Pimp

Well gee I didn't mean it like that. :p

I don't think theme or pacing have much to do with say, comparing AI's in different games, map layouts, the online portion...I do agree with you that when people compare stories in GTA games the person doing so often misses the context of each story.

• Like 1

Vendetta ™

Well gee I didn't mean it like that. :p

I don't think theme or pacing have much to do with say, comparing AI's in different games, map layouts, the online portion...I do agree with you that when people compare stories in GTA games the person doing so often misses the context of each story.

Ah, well I understand a bit better now, I agree, I mentioned this in the original post as well.

not their elements like Story, Vehicles and the lot

I could have said that a bit better rather than using the blanket term "elements", but yes, you would be correct.

• Like 1

People will compare IV to anything, they will compare it to GTA 500 the day it comes out, all the IV fanboys sitting in retirement homes about at the age of 90 still trying so hard .... To press a keyboard button.

Wow I can only imagine SoL doing that. Omg lol

• Like 3

Pump Action Pimp

People will compare IV to anything, they will compare it to GTA 500 the day it comes out, all the IV fanboys sitting in retirement homes about at the age of 90 still trying so hard .... To press a keyboard button.

All fanboys got their heart in the right place. SA fanboys want the gameplay elements they loved, IV fans want the gripping story they loved.

• Like 2

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Comparing IV with V is comparing apples with razor blades.

Vendetta ™

Eh, maybe but this thread isn't a pisstake towards IV fans as much as these sorts of people in general.

Official General

It's only natural to. GTA as a series has grown to become such a hugely successful franchise from one title to the next, since it went 3D. Current GTA games have always been compared to their predecessors because of the great legacies that had been left behind by them, so people wanna see how the current title measures up to those past, great legacies.

V just happens to be that current GTA game to be in the spotlight for comparisons.

• Like 8

Algonquin Assassin

I don't know about SOL, but in 70 years time I'll still be pressing keys on my key board arthritis and all in the GTA IV fanboy retirement village. ;)

In all seriousness I'm with OG on this. It's only natural. SA was compared to GTA IV and before that VC was compared to SA. Of course each game has its own, distinctive theme, story etc, but it does bring up interesting points of discussion.

I guess it's the same thing for the Assassin's Creed, Call Of Duty, Battlefield fan bases etc as well. Games within a franchise will always be compared to each other as much as rivals in a genre. It's just the way it is.

• Like 8

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

lastmanonearth

I list the comparisons between V and all the other GTAs as thoroughly as I can, to get the fans to see how much V lacks compared to the previous titles. Hopefully, some Rockstar staff scrolling through this forum will catch a glimpse of our legit grievances and make improvements based on that in VI. That`s why I don`t understand those who say "SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP WITH YOUR COMPLAINING, V IS THE SHIIIIT!!!" it`s as though they`re content with the status quo perpetuating.

TheGoodSgtScooter

I list the comparisons between V and all the other GTAs as thoroughly as I can, to get the fans to see how much V lacks compared to the previous titles. Hopefully, some Rockstar staff scrolling through this forum will catch a glimpse of our legit grievances and make improvements based on that in VI. That`s why I don`t understand those who say "SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP WITH YOUR COMPLAINING, V IS THE SHIIIIT!!!" it`s as though they`re content with the status quo perpetuating.

I saw multiple lists of things IV lacked, and howugh it sucked balls compared to the other GTA games. I'm sure people will do the same with V and VI, or maybe it will be IV Vs. V Vs. VI.

GTA 3 takes place now and that's boring, but GTA2 is in the future which will be totally awesome and not a cyberpunk hell without all the cool parts of cyberpunk

Edited by thecharrr

Sounds ridiculous. Why shouldn't one compare?

I can play and enjoy WD, Saints row, Just Cause, Far Cry on their own merits without comparing them much with GTA but, even then, its still quite natural to compare if these games do something quite better than GTA, which they DO. Indeed!

And NO, IV and V are not COMPLETELY different games, are you joking, or what?

They are part of the "GTA franchise" that has started to lose some of the elements what made them great when they first began. That's why comparisons are inevitable until they really surpassed it. In terms of all the changes, and improvements by the existing HD era to the brilliant classics of the series.

The series had all consistently good games in the 3D era as an excellent entertainers, but when things gradually change for the bad and affect the soul of the series, that's when COMPARISONS become more and more important, not just between IV and V, but also with their past that helped a lot in making the series popular and laid a strong foundation.

• Like 2

lastmanonearth

I saw multiple lists of things IV lacked, and howugh it sucked balls compared to the other GTA games. I'm sure people will do the same with V and VI, or maybe it will be IV Vs. V Vs. VI.

And so they should! Because the second we start being content with what we have and say, "No more thanks, I`m good!" Rockstar will drop the ball then and there and that can only mean the next game will be worse or much the same at the very best.

• Like 1

Vendetta ™

I can play and enjoy WD, Saints row, Just Cause, Far Cry on their own merits without comparing them much with GTA but, even then, its still quite natural to compare if these games do something quite better than GTA, which they DO. Indeed!

They are part of the "GTA franchise" that has started to lose some of the elements what made them great when they first began. That's why comparisons are inevitable until they really surpassed it. In terms of all the changes, and improvements by the existing HD era to the brilliant classics of the series.

The series had all consistently good games in the 3D era as an excellent entertainers, but when things gradually change for the bad and affect the soul of the series, that's when COMPARISONS become more and more important, not just between IV and V, but also with their past that helped a lot in making the series popular and laid a strong foundation.

Could you please, just make an ATTEMPT to actually read?

I never said they were different games, you're the one who brought that up, I said they were "distinct" meaning different, not completely different.

Comparisons may be important to you, but is still wholly subjective, as I said in the OP, you'll be hard-pressed to accurately compare the two games without any sort of bias.

To be honest, it's not fair. They're almost a generation apart.

I never said they were different games, you're the one who brought that up, I said they were "distinct" meaning different, not completely different.

Comparisons may be important to you, but is still wholly subjective, as I said in the OP, you'll be hard-pressed to accurately compare the two games without any sort of bias.

"...IV and V? The games are almost COMPLETELY different, up to the point where it'd be like comparing Shawshank Redemption to Lethal Weapon."

are you f*cking kidding us???

what are you?

-a troll?

-a retard?

-a 11 year old?

-totally high on drugs?

and GTA 1-5 is the SAME GAME. ITs evolving but it will always be the SAME GAME ! its like comparing Season 1 with Season 2 of (put your favourite show here).

Edited by iddqdvie
  • Like 1

"...IV and V? The games are almost COMPLETELY different, up to the point where it'd be like comparing Shawshank Redemption to Lethal Weapon."

what are you?

-a troll?

-a retard?

-a 11 year old?

-totally high on drugs?

and GTA 1-5 is the SAME GAME. ITs evolving but it will always be the SAME GAME ! its like comparing Season 1 with Season 2 of (put your favourite show here).

Notice he said "Almost completely different," meaning he was right in saying he never said they were completely different. However, you here said that GTA's 1 through 5 are the same game, but evolving. Now you're kinda right here, but again not right at the same time. Yeah, they're part of the same franchise, but they're EVOLUTIONS of the previous one. We're evolutions of Apes and Apes are evolutions of monkeys, does that mean that we're the same as monkeys and apes? No it doesn't. We're all in the same line (Franchise in the case of GTA) but we're almost completely different sharing only a few characteristics to them. Same with the GTA series. They're all GTA's but they're all very different, therefore comparisons don't exactly work well.

You also said that it's like comparing Season 1 with Season 2 of a show. Yeah, not really. GTA IV encapsulated a nitty and gritty story that was (for some) an emotional rollercoaster. V, however is a goofball action-comedy. III focused on the Mafia v Yakuza stuff of 2001, San Andreas focused on the Gang Wars of the 90's and Vice City focused on, well, the 80's. Their stories and main themes have completely changed and are almost incomparable. Ignoring the name, universe and vehicles; they're completely separate Open-world crime games based around different forms of crimes and criminals.

Edited by Ezza.
  • Like 2

what are you?

-a troll?

-a retard?

-a 11 year old?

-totally high on drugs?

Notice he said "Almost completely different," meaning he was right in saying he never said they were completely different. However, you here said that GTA's 1 through 5 are the same game, but evolving. Now you're kinda right here, but again not right at the same time. Yeah, they're part of the same franchise, but they're EVOLUTIONS of the previous one. We're evolutions of Apes and Apes are evolutions of monkeys, does that mean that we're the same as monkeys and apes? No it doesn't. We're all in the same line (Franchise in the case of GTA) but we're almost completely different sharing only a few characteristics to them. Same with the GTA series. They're all GTA's but they're all very different, therefore comparisons don't exactly work well.

You also said that it's like comparing Season 1 with Season 2 of a show. Yeah, not really. GTA IV encapsulated a nitty and gritty story that was (for some) an emotional rollercoaster. V, however is a goofball action-comedy. III focused on the Mafia v Yakuza stuff of 2001, San Andreas focused on the Gang Wars of the 90's and Vice City focused on, well, the 80's. Their stories and main themes have completely changed and are almost incomparable. Ignoring the name, universe and vehicles; they're completely separate Open-world crime games based around different forms of crimes and criminals.

but u can perfectly compare monkeys, apes and humans. different would be a different animal race.

fishes and birds! they are different! dogs and cats... maybe gta1 to gta5 is like a cat to a lion is also a cat.

of course its hard to compare games with shows, and you are right: its a bad comparison.

But thats the difference. A Game keeps its style and behaviour, its design and optic and its mechanics, while it totally changes the setting and story. but its still GTA.

lets just say you should never compare anything in life because everything is unique in its own way and "worse or better" is relativ to each mind.

lastmanonearth

To be honest, it's not fair. They're almost a generation apart.

And yet IV manages to be better in virtually every way than V! Not that either game was very good compared to SA.

• Like 2

As the title states, why do people need to compare say - IV and V? The games are almost COMPLETELY different, up to the point where it'd be like comparing Shawshank Redemption to Lethal Weapon. (For the record, I'm talking about the games themselves (Themes, Gameplay...), not their elements like Story, Vehicles and the lot.) Am I hypocrite? Yes, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Is it SO very hard to enjoy the games based on their own merits?

I don't really understand your logic. Why wouldn't you use the example of comparing Lethal Weapon to Lethal Weapon 2, 3, or 4, or at least a movie in the same genre? You can definitely enjoy every GTA based on their own merits, but they're comparable because they're not completely different. People aren't comparing GTA V to Mario or Halo.

• Like 1

Vendetta ™

what are you?

-a troll?

-a retard?

-a 11 year old?

-totally high on drugs?

Awful quick to insult, aren't you?

Same game? Hahhaha....WHAT? It's in the same series with the same gameplay, but to say they're the "SAME GAME" is complete and utter bogus, my friend.

-Snip-

I don't really understand your logic. Why wouldn't you use the example of comparing Lethal Weapon to Lethal Weapon 2, 3, or 4, or at least a movie in the same genre? You can definitely enjoy every GTA based on their own merits, but they're comparable because they're not completely different. People aren't comparing GTA V to Mario or Halo.

I'm aware of this and have covered this very thing above.

While I somewhat agree, do you really think shooting through the dark and gritty streets of New York is comparable to stealing cargo planes and kicking the military's ass in bright and sunny LA? (In regards to your Lethal Weapon example, Lethal Weapon honestly stayed pretty consistent with it's themes and the like, so it's not very valid.)

I also didn't say they were completely different, I said almost.

Edited by Klicksend
  • Like 1