3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

KilnerLUFC

Has Online 'Killed' Console Gaming?

KilnerLUFC

Now, this debate has probably been done numerous times on here, but oh well, no harm in doing it again.

First off, notice I put console gaming, since PC gaming tends to be mainly online related, but let's not get into that debate.

Now, am not sure why I feel like this, could be a number of reasons, but started thinking the other day how all this online console gaming seems to be slowly taking away the joy f gaming for me recently. When I first picked my 360 up, I was a MW2 junkie, and built up a mass friends list from this game, which then branched out into other online games of various genres and series. With the release of the newer generation though, it's actually made me feel like am behind slightly, and no longer 'in it', if you get me? Anyone left on my 360 friends list tends to just be paying a random SP title on their own. I still venture on the likes of CoD, Battlefield etc, but it just doesnt feel the same anymore.

The latest game I've purchsed is BF: Hardine, and this is where I can expand my point further. Before the game was even released, EA were posting about the DLC that would be coming out in the future, which upon playing through the game, is quite evident how much has been left out purposely so that EA can cash in on the purchase of DLC packs. Go back to like Bad Company 2, and there were plenty of weapons per class, whereas Hardline has 5 at the maximum, preventing any real advancements...that is, of course, till the DLC is released and people are forced into buying it just to further their game. CoD: Ghosts was another game guilty of this, with a very limited number of maps and weapons available without purchasing any DLC. Of course, not every company is guilty of this, with the likes of GTA V giving us everything new for free.

Not only is it a cheap and nasty way of making money, it also limits people to the lobbies they can play in. If I'm in a group of 4 people, and 3/4 of the group have a DLC pack, that 4th person is made to feel left out. Thus the ball gets rolling; 1 friend buys the DLC, the 2nd friend buys it just to be able to play together...etc...

Sticking with BF to add another point, it feels like companies are getting beyond lazy in regards to releasing finished products these days. Take BF4 for example...if it wasn't for the updates/patches etc, this game would have flopped majorly. EA admitted the game was unfinished, and it's evident in the SP of the game, but it's only the MP side that ever gets fixed, thus completely ignoring anyone who doesn't play online.

The latest games (in terms of 360, that is) now seem to have swapped the discs around, so that MP is disc 1 and SP is disc 2, yet another clear sign that if you don't have online, you're not bothered about.

Some may see this as a ramble, but others may get what I'm trying to get at here...

Anyway, shoot away...

Rebel

You'd be better getting a debate going on in the debate section.

KilnerLUFC

Was thinking that, but debate section seems a little quiet, plus narrows the audience. (No offence intended)

igotskiz

Online integration with gaming is absolutely killing it. While I love multiplayer in gaming, the way it has influenced marketing is cancer.

Exhibit A: Updates

Back in cartridge and early-disk days, if a game was rushed to release and was plagued with game breaking bugs, a development studio and/or publisher would have a new ass torn from the market. Recalls would take tons of money, time and reputation to fix and ultimately kept both devs and pubs in check. Recall is a word unheard of in today's gaming industry, and is leading to product rushing on huge scale, making unfinished games commonplace.

Biggest examples are Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed: Unity, and GTA Online.

Exhibit B: DLC

While it was once used for adding content to the game, it is now used to lengthen how much money a publisher can suck out of a game. What was once planned and cohesive post-launch content is now intentionally chopping the game up and served in parts. Or locking content that is already on-disc, as the Street Fighter games have done. Day-1 DLC, DLC that was supposed to be content, and on-disc "DLC" have made publishers more greedy than their own good.

Examples being EA, Activision, and Ubisoft's Season Pass bull, Capcom on-disc locked content, microtransaction pay-to-win crap, etc.

Exhibit C: Online Communities

This one really isn't a direct fault of online, but more of a complaint of how sh*tty communities can be when given headsets and webcams. Streamers lure hordes of adolescents and children to play videogames meant for adults (M17+), plaguing what would normally be a game that should be populated with mature audiences instead with kids who screech and wind tunnel their mics, making the mute function a necessity.

Examples being COD, GTA V, Halo, Gears of War, etc.

Xl anthrax lX

I do not think consoles will be going away any time soon. Yes PCs are superior but they are more expensive. If you want a good pc you will be shelling out a hell of a lot more to get it than you would a console.

igotskiz

Yes PCs are superior but they are more expensive. If you want a good pc you will be shelling out a hell of a lot more to get it than you would a console.

If you know how to build one properly, they should be as cheap as new consoles. Thing is, there is such a high wall to enter the PC community due to how much know-how required to set one up and make sure you have the components. Consoles are your general everything-in-one package, providing a huge ease of access.

I do not think consoles will be going away any time soon.

Consoles are too established into the industry to be wiped out. Unless they can make cheap gaming PCs that are pre-built (they don't, I've looked), and make it locally friendly (split-screen gaming), I don't think PC will be intruding on consoles anytime soon.

Xl anthrax lX

Yes PCs are superior but they are more expensive. If you want a good pc you will be shelling out a hell of a lot more to get it than you would a console.

If you know how to build one properly, they should be as cheap as new consoles. Thing is, there is such a high wall to enter the PC community due to how much know-how required to set one up and make sure you have the components. Consoles are your general everything-in-one package, providing a huge ease of access.

Exactly, the point I was trying to make was that as long as parents have a cheap way to give their kids a decent gaming experience (consoles) then they will use it. The majority of parents out there do not have the patience to learn how to put together a PC.

Nick1020

Not necessarily online itself but stupid ways of microtransaction. Whether it's EA forcing to buy a season pass to play online or Activision locking access for something that was in the game.

Xl anthrax lX

Not necessarily online itself but stupid ways of microtransaction. Whether it's EA forcing to buy a season pass to play online or Activision locking access for something that was in the game.

Are you asserting that microtransactions have killed consoles? Because they have actually done quite the contrary. People spend tons of money on microtransactions.

igotskiz

Define "microtransactions". I don't think you guys are using them in the same context that I'm thinking of. The only game I know that does them is GTA Online with shark cards.

To me, microtransactions are transactions where you buy something you can otherwise normally obtain within the game, but at a faster rate/injection.

Pretty much any game where random number generators are a main focus of gameplay, but those usually don't apply to consoles, the only console games that use RNGs I can name off the bat are Borderlands and Destiny.

Edited by igotskiz

SouthLand

I don't like ONLINE games. And GTA V is a great example on why the OP is right.

People have to use SaveEditor programs on their PC to have ONLINE cars you can't buy in SinglePlayer. That's a disgrace for GTA. I have been modding GTA since Vice City and the new Rockstar policy is completely anti-mods, anti-SP...

Dottie

It wasnt the consoles. Its the game devs rushing games as out as fast as possible (most of which cant even be considered to be a complete game). They eventually tack on the rest as "DLC" or "Updates" or "Exclusive content" to try to complete the game and to milk the gamers for spending more than the already outrageous amount for console games..

My 2 cents on microtransactions. The worst part is when the developers make the game nearly impossible to play without them: which is why i dont touch mobile games (especially F2P) with a 100m pole. EA and Firemonkey's Real Racing 3 is probably the best example, where it will cost 1000's of real USD to purchase every vehicle and upgrade (not that everyone wants to own every car but I'm just pointing that out). Some F2P games are 100% possible to play and enjoy without microtransactions, but if more devs are going to follow the RR3 EA model in the future, I will surely find another hobby and maybe end up on the news for busting caps into my console :p

Edited by Winning001

D9fred95

Define "microtransactions". I don't think you guys are using them in the same context that I'm thinking of. The only game I know that does them is GTA Online with shark cards.

To me, microtransactions are transactions where you buy something you can otherwise normally obtain within the game, but at a faster rate/injection.

Pretty much any game where random number generators are a main focus of gameplay, but those usually don't apply to consoles, the only console games that use RNGs I can name off the bat are Borderlands and Destiny.

I think Happy Wars does microtransactions too. To get pretty much anything good in that game you have to buy Happy Cards, and even then it's random what you get.

Wastelander (Suzuki)

It doesn't help that the People I've termed "CoD rejects" seem happy with shelling out Mom and dad's hard earned money on a 12$ weapon skin, it's the new generation of gamers that have willingly let this happen by showing that their ok with it. That being said I miss the old days (1995-2011) of gaming before this became a major problem.

KilnerLUFC

Regarding DLC, gaming used to be about challenging yourself to unlock certain stuff within the game, whereas now it's all about who dares spend the most on a game to earn it the fastest. EA have become massive culprits of this recently, openly admitting stuff they have take out of games to be released as DLC furter down the line, as was seen with BF: Hardline. Talking about DLC before a game is even released seems to scream to me that it's just stuff that was originally in the game to start with. CoD has become bad too regarding how many maps are released in the base game, which seems to have dwindled down over the years.

And as stated, the fact that companies believe it's right to release an unfinished game and then update by means of patches and DLC should not be allowed. The likes of BF4 would have been major flops back in the day with how terrible the game was on release day. This to me shows that companies are becoming lazy in regards to spending time on a game, in favour of releasing a game on a yearly basis. I remember seeing a list of how many Assassins Creed titles there are and it shocked me. I miss the days of waiting a few years for a game that had time and effort put in to it, ensuring you got the absolute best on release day, and any games that failed to achieve this were binned.

The only DLC I really agree with is Single Player DLC that adds whole new parts to the campaign.

Online gaming to me has made the majority of gaming a fad now.

reform

I wouldn't use the term "console gaming" in the question. A more accurate question would be whether online connectivity has killed single-player and same room/split-screen gaming. I wouldn't say that it has killed either of these things, but it has hurt them a great deal, especially the latter.

Too great a focus has unfortunately been placed on one aspect of online gaming - isolated player vS player combat. The problem being that less effort is put into the singler player/campaign portion of a game, and split-screen is a real rarity now.

The sad thing about the online component of most games today is how uninspired they are. Why aren't there more games with an option to play the main story cooperatively? Why can't there be a lager fusion of the singleplayer and multiplayer components of games in general, while still keeping both optional? Why is there so little focus on both co-op gaming and indirect conflict/competition?

Then there is the way content is delivered to the consumer today. DLC aside for now, even brand new games these days sometimes release in an unfinished state, with day one and later patches to fix the game. We get far more buggy new games today than we ever did in the past.

The DLC issue is a giant/complex debate in itself. The short of it is that DLC can be a huge positive for gaming, but that is rarely the case, and only a handful of developers treat the concept, and the customers, with the respect they deserve.

undertaker fan

Tbh, online gaming is a positive thing. It does not kill same room gaming much, I still play games with my brother and cousin everytime they come. But charging money for buying special stuff in some online games is just unfair.

As for dlc's they are a nice addition but creating an incomplete game and then using dlc and patches to make it complete is just bad.

reiniat

since PC gaming tends to be mainly online related, but let's not get into that debate.

That is not correct. I also feel like OP spends too much time playing EA and Activision games and while i do agree with him, theres a world out there full of great videogames (online or not), if you think EA is doing things wrong then dont buy EA games please.

Pretty much any Battlefield game since Bad Company 2 has microtransactions, in fact, i think ALL EA games released since Dead Space 3 have them one way or another.

Nonsense, anyone can build a PC, most PC gamers in forums like AJSA or PCgamer itself will be glad to help you choose the components, and assembling the PC can be compared to building stuff with lego.

Also building 400 bucks PCs is discouraged as youll end up having to upgrade pretty soon.

I do not think consoles will be going away any time soon.

Consoles are too established into the industry to be wiped out. Unless they can make cheap gaming PCs that are pre-built (they don't, I've looked), and make it locally friendly (split-screen gaming), I don't think PC will be intruding on consoles anytime soon.

The Xbox One will be the last MS console. Microsoft's Entertainment Division is just a big money sink that has no reason to exist from a business stand point.

That would left only Sony and Nintendo on the race... Personally im ok with Nintendo doing their own thing, but i would love to destroy Sony because of Bloodborne. :D