3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why does my game keep crashing?

japse123

Welp...

I can launch the game and play it fine for about 10-40 mins, but suddenly it freezes, and it tabs it and then there is a white or black screen, and I cant do nothing.

It says that GTA V has stopped working....

I just reinstalled this game because of an error but now I get this instead? Anyone else dealing with the same problem ?

NYPD.ESU.55

It keeps doing it for me too.... Sometimes gives me the ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT error, which i downt know what and how to fix... Although I went past the 2GB video memory I have, game still runs pt 59FPS mostly. I dont now what to do, keeps crashing with the GTAV.exe stopped working thing... I hope somebody got a solution for this.

Same here, gtx 760, i5 4440, seemed to happen alot more with an overclock.

Game freezes, instantly showing the "GTAV has stopped working" dialogue.

Probably crashes cause I'm on Win 10.

I've had an issue with freezing on some occasions. It always happens when I aim a gun in a car (first or third person)

Playing with Nvidia GTX 970

NYPD.ESU.55

Can the problem be the windows user account? I made a new admin account to play the game, because the default account has a non supported character in it. Wher I played with that account, the keybindings didnt save because there were two Rockstar Games folders in the C/Users/Documets folder. (One with the special character, and one without it)

So on the new account the keys and settings saved fine, just cant play because it gives me the stopped working, or the err_gfx_d3d_init error every 10 minutes after playing.

I forgot to mention earlier the the audio keeps going, screen freezes end I have to ctrl-shift-del out to click ok on the error message box. I have the latest nvidia driver installed

Edited by NYPD.ESU.55

I had my CPU overclocked and had the same problem. After reverting my bios back to factory, GTA V became stable for me. Otherwise after 10 minutes of using first person or getting through one mission, I would crash.

• Like 1

I randomly crash when i finished an online mission and jump straight into the next mission.

Running: i7 4790k & GTX 970, downloaded from steam.

I too was getting the "ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT" crash plus some other errors until finally I could not open the game without this error. I googled it and found this strange fix but hey worked for me.

http://www.gamepur.com/guide/18574-fix-gta-v-pc-pre-load-graphics-card-launch-errors-download-installation-launch.html

Summary:

To fix the ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT crash

• Step 1: Go to Control Panel -> System -> Device manager -> Display adapters, then double-click on your graphics card and select disable.
  • Step 2: Launch the Game, run GTAVLauncher.exe
  • Step 3: At Social Club Page, switch to Device Manager and Enable Graphics card again by Right Click and select enable.

Same here, gtx 760, i5 4440, seemed to happen alot more with an overclock.

Game freezes, instantly showing the "GTAV has stopped working" dialogue.

Probably crashes cause I'm on Win 10.

Running: i7 4790k & GTX 970, downloaded from steam.

I too was getting the "ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT" crash plus some other errors until finally I could not open the game without this error. I googled it and found this strange fix but hey worked for me.

http://www.gamepur.com/guide/18574-fix-gta-v-pc-pre-load-graphics-card-launch-errors-download-installation-launch.html

Summary:

To fix the ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT crash

• Step 1: Go to Control Panel -> System -> Device manager -> Display adapters, then double-click on your graphics card and select disable.
  • Step 2: Launch the Game, run GTAVLauncher.exe
  • Step 3: At Social Club Page, switch to Device Manager and Enable Graphics card again by Right Click and select enable.

Did not fix the crashing for me. Crashes seem random, no particular events seem to bring it down

Game/OS installed on SSD

Steam version

Latest Drivers

Windows 10

Happens both online/singleplayer

Running GTAV in compatibility mode (Win8) doesnt help

Running as Admin doesnt help

Any fix?

NYPD.ESU.55

Any fix?

I dont think there is a fix yet. I sent a ticket to Rockstar. we'll se... Till the fix, seems like no GTA V for me.. I cant play it like that, crashing every 5 minutes. I youldnt even drive to Mt. Chilliad from the city, because its crashing every time with "GTAV not responting".

Somewhere on the R* Suuppot page i read a comment about somebody got it fixed by running the game borderless windowed, vsync and tessellation off, but i didnt help me.

Any fix?

I dont think there is a fix yet. I sent a ticket to Rockstar. we'll se... Till the fix, seems like no GTA V for me.. I cant play it like that, crashing every 5 minutes. I youldnt even drive to Mt. Chilliad from the city, because its crashing every time with "GTAV not responting".

Somewhere on the R* Suuppot page i read a comment about somebody got it fixed by running the game borderless windowed, vsync and tessellation off, but i didnt help me.

Alright, I was going to send a ticket too, but I'll wait and see what yours brings up.

Really quite frustrating for a game "polished" this much. There's probably a pretty simple workaround on our end somewhere.

I found that rolling back my drivers to 347.xx made the game run much longer before crashing, without any visible performance loss. Maybe it's a driver issue??? What driver are you guys running?

NYPD.ESU.55

I can run it pretty long (1-2 hours) when I launch it via the Geforce Expreience panel, after clicking to 'optimize'. Weird. It has something to do with the driver though, when it crashes I got the pop-up bubble message in windows that says "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" Running on the lastest Nvidia driver. But its not always the case, sometimes it just simply crashes with GTAV.exe not responding.

I may have fixed the crashing issue for myself. Try uninstalling all of your NVIDIA Drivers, then rebooting and installing the latest GTAV ready drivers (350.12, I believe).

I also "optimized" the game by way of GeForce Experience, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I've got a few hours in at pretty much max settings on my 760 without issue in Single player.

NYPD.ESU.55

I may have fixed the crashing issue for myself. Try uninstalling all of your NVIDIA Drivers, then rebooting and installing the latest GTAV ready drivers (350.12, I believe).

I also "optimized" the game by way of GeForce Experience, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I've got a few hours in at pretty much max settings on my 760 without issue in Single player.

Im glad it worked for you too. Seems like its a driver issue then. Or I dont know:D

Edited by NYPD.ESU.55

Im glad it worked for you too. Seems like its a driver issue then. Or I dont know:D

Well, right after I posted this the game crashed, then worked fine for a while, then crashed again. The problem is definitely still there, but re-installing the drivers seemed to alleviate some of the pain.

The game is definitely playable, though, and what a brilliant game it is. I don't really mind this as long as they patch it soon, as it seems to be a pretty widespread issue. Hell, I've already put 15 some hours in :blink: .

Did you ever get a response from R*?

Your right the disable of the graphics alone did not fix for me, the setting the game to use DX10.1 so far has proved many hours with no crash. See if this helps you guys.

NYPD.ESU.55

Not yet, only an email that tehy recieved my request. For my though, I launxh it first, then it runs for like 2 hours till crash, and after that, even if I restart the PC it keeps crashing every 20-30 minutes. It dont gives any error, nor the display driver didnt responded and has recovered message, just freezes with GTAV.exe has not responded.

Your right the disable of the graphics alone did not fix for me, the setting the game to use DX10.1 so far has proved many hours with no crash. See if this helps you guys.

So far that's worked, but I get a ton of texture loading issues on very high textures, making the game unplayable, and quite a bit uglier/jumpy. If I turn down the textures, it runs better, but nowhere near as good as dx11.

New update on Steam? 207.5 mb? When it's done downloading I'll test it out.

Still crashes, but alot less frequently.

The crashing is related to driving and aiming at once.

It happens durring some missions. For isntance it happens durring the first heist and also when you go out with your dog as franklin dismiss him and aim in the car.

Firstly,any game will crash if your GPU resources are being used up,or being asked to hold more data in memory than it physicallyhas. Instability is guaranteed. This is a no brainer

Also your GPU is running hot. This game eats GPU cycles for breakfast. Get Nvidia Inspector, or Riva tuner/ MSI afterburner so you can run the fan app and cool your GPU

Also the big hitters for FPS hits and VRAM consumption, and instability, on stressed cards are: Grass, Population variance and advanced settings (long shadows, render distance etc)

You cant run the GPU over the limit of the VRAM and not expect crashes. The card will be ruined if you dont cool it, and you will get CTD or worse PC shutdowns.

Your all getting crashes because your settings are too high, or your running the settings that were designed for the TITAN X class cards which launched the same week as the game did for very obvious reasons

I get great FPS and no CTD anymore as i dont have everything on max because i dont have the hardware for it

Here are my settings

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/528387419464303675/5A9B0AF0AC59EA485F2DC3794764F581A7E94316/

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/528387419464303507/C92EDAFEAA2B7C0CF389D4EC5ED5697D7C9DDB7C/

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/528387419464303791/0B736E674C7FD8099BFF0732BC512CE8B17E468D/

My specs

FX8350

GTX680

8gb Ram DDR3 1600mhz

Sabretooth 990FX motherboard

I get great FPS and i DID get CTD or shut-downs,despite my settings above. The GPU was getting cooked by the game. Running the fan cooler app i get no CTDs anymore

I had same problems like you but i fixed that by increasing up Page File
Steps
Go to Computer>System Properties>Advanced System Settings>Perfomance (Click on Settings)>Advance>Select Custom Size> in Initial size MB put 6088, Maximum Size MB put 10000 and press Set and Apply (if you have 4gb ram then you should crank up page file by 1.5x(6gb) or 2.0x(8gb)
Hope it will help, that Helped me

Edited by StefaTurbo

NYPD.ESU.55

Firstly,any game will crash if your GPU resources are being used up,or being asked to hold more data in memory than it physicallyhas. Instability is guaranteed. This is a no brainer

Also your GPU is running hot. This game eats GPU cycles for breakfast. Get Nvidia Inspector, or Riva tuner/ MSI afterburner so you can run the fan app and cool your GPU

Also the big hitters for FPS hits and VRAM consumption, and instability, on stressed cards are: Grass, Population variance and advanced settings (long shadows, render distance etc)

You cant run the GPU over the limit of the VRAM and not expect crashes. The card will be ruined if you dont cool it, and you will get CTD or worse PC shutdowns.

Your all getting crashes because your settings are too high, or your running the settings that were designed for the TITAN X class cards which launched the same week as the game did for very obvious reasons

I get great FPS and no CTD anymore as i dont have everything on max because i dont have the hardware for it

Here are my settings

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/528387419464303675/5A9B0AF0AC59EA485F2DC3794764F581A7E94316/

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/528387419464303507/C92EDAFEAA2B7C0CF389D4EC5ED5697D7C9DDB7C/

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/528387419464303791/0B736E674C7FD8099BFF0732BC512CE8B17E468D/

My specs

FX8350

GTX680

8gb Ram DDR3 1600mhz

Sabretooth 990FX motherboard

I get great FPS and i DID get CTD or shut-downs,despite my settings above. The GPU was getting cooked by the game. Running the fan cooler app i get no CTDs anymore

I have FX8350, GTX680 and 8GB DDR3 1600MHz too. Tried your settings, still crashes. ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT or just simply GTV.exe has stopped working..

Edited by NYPD.ESU.55

Game still randomly crashes.....

It crashes more in singelplayer tho.

Can play multiplayer for 3-4 hours before crash.

In singelplayer it crashes after 30min to 1 hours.

Defiantly nothing to do with CPU