2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Walking with keyboard

Dolph0912

Haven't even got mine working yet, but I know that on previous games, if you held ALT whilst moving your character would walk.

• Like 1

Tap left shift once to switch between running and jogging. Hold shift to sprint.

• Like 3

TheMostKnowledgable

To walk slow, use joypad. W is full on. Dunno if there is a walk key. Alt switches characters.

• Like 1

oCrapaCreeper

W in first person puts you in a jogging pace. Due to the lack of pressure sensitivity on keys you can't go any slower, you would have to use a controller.

RedIndianRobin

Wait what? There's no walking in GTA V? AFAIK, W key is used for walking.

TheMostKnowledgable

yea but it's full on jog. Like holding the a button, as opposed to tapping it (x on ps). There's no "left stick only" speed of walking like they do since niko. In FPS mode, the joystick lets you walk slowly and get the normal walk speed and anims with a small push on the analog, the deeper the push, the faster you go until you're at "holding a" speed again, using only the sticks. W key is full on sticks speed, a full on jog/trot, and shift for a full on sprint.

I like it, though. Feels right. It's way better than say walking with W, then shift to trot, then shift tapping with pinky to actually sprint! it would be very tiring. nice this way. Shift toggles sprint, as well as knows if you're holding it. so that's nice too.

Edited by TheMostKnowledgable

RedIndianRobin

yea but it's full on jog. Like holding the a button, as opposed to tapping it (x on ps). There's no "left stick only" speed of walking like they do since niko. In FPS mode, the joystick lets you walk slowly and get the normal walk speed and anims with a small push on the analog, the deeper the push, the faster you go until you're at "holding a" speed again, using only the sticks. W key is full on sticks speed, a full on jog/trot, and shift for a full on sprint.

So I don't get it. You can't walk in FP but can walk in TP. Am I right?

ManularChimera

Tap left shift once to switch between running and jogging. Hold shift to sprint.

Does it work the same way in GTA IV? I never knew how to jog there.

RedIndianRobin

Does it work the same way in GTA IV? I never knew how to jog there.

No. There's no jog in GTA IV. Walk and sprint.

oCrapaCreeper

So I don't get it. You can't walk in FP but can walk in TP. Am I right?

FPS game controls traditionally have a jogging speed as normal movement, FPS mode does it as well.

JowDaRapper

I have the same problem. You can only WALK in thrid person and you are able to switch to running with "TAP SHIFT". But this does not work for first person.

Implementing the same function for FP should not be a big problem.

Edited by JowDaRapper
  • Like 1

RedIndianRobin

I have the same problem. You can only WALK in thrid person and you are able to switch to running with "TAP SHIFT". But this does not work for first person.

This is the answer I am looking for. Of course, as oCrapaCreeper said, FP games don't allow to walk. I was concerned that they removed walking in TP. Anyways it's now cleared. :)

• Like 1

JowDaRapper

This is the answer I am looking for. Of course, as oCrapaCreeper said, FP games don't allow to walk. I was concerned that they removed walking in TP. Anyways it's now cleared. :)

I hope R* will fix this issue. It's really annoying to run in FPMode while trying to enjoy the city and everything. But I am confident cause this topic has been already discussed a few times:

Link 1

Link 2

• Like 1

ManularChimera

Actually there was jogging in GTA IV, at least in the console version.

Wow just came to check my old thread if there was a fix and saw so many new posts. I doubt implementing a toggle key feature would be that big of a deal for R* but I wouldn't hold my breath until they fix it. Hopefully someone with modding skills can look into this.

Vice City criminal

Oh boy, if you're having trouble with that imagine how it's gonna be when you try to fly a plane.

TheMostKnowledgable

Yes, in GTA IV it's like GTA V, walk with the stick only, jog holding sprint button, tap sprint button repeatedly to run faster, the faster you tap it, the longer he runs.

In V, you do it too long and you can die, and in first person, it's straight running and sprinting, no walking unless you are in a walk-only area, like Ammunation

However, that is just keyboard and mouse. First person mode with joypad, you can walk like CJ did in San Andreas (slow walking with barely pressed stick, press it further to run faster until you reach jog, hold to sprint normal speed short distance, tap to run faster)

You can edit a lot about the controls, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a setup that changes it.

Edited by TheMostKnowledgable

• 2 months later...
TerconConnors

From what i have tried the only way I've been able to walk in first person is being in third person starting to walk then while still walking switch to first person. but rockstar really should have added in just a slow walk button.

Edit-Nevermind while in first person you can just tap shift while walking and you will slow down.

Edited by TerconConnors

Yes, in GTA IV it's like GTA V, walk with the stick only, jog holding sprint button, tap sprint button repeatedly to run faster, the faster you tap it, the longer he runs.

In V, you do it too long and you can die, and in first person, it's straight running and sprinting, no walking unless you are in a walk-only area, like Ammunation

However, that is just keyboard and mouse. First person mode with joypad, you can walk like CJ did in San Andreas (slow walking with barely pressed stick, press it further to run faster until you reach jog, hold to sprint normal speed short distance, tap to run faster)

You can edit a lot about the controls, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a setup that changes it.

You only die from sprinting in V if you don't have your Stamina stat maxed out. If Stamina gets maxed out, you can sprint/pedal forever with no health drain. This applies to both SP and MP.

oCrapaCreeper

From what i have tried the only way I've been able to walk in first person is being in third person starting to walk then while still walking switch to first person. but rockstar really should have added in just a slow walk button.

Edit-Nevermind while in first person you can just tap shift while walking and you will slow down.

Yeah, that was added in the recent patch.

ShootingStar Inc

I thought @OP was trolling but apparently, lol he is talking about walk speed..