3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Steam overlay for non-steam version

LinkToReality

LinkToReality

So, I got my copy from GMG meaning I have a non-steam version of the game, but I use Steam and it's overlay to chat with friends and such while gaming.

I thought it would be as simple as to add the game to steam as non-steam game shortcut but sadly the "is playing:" goes away after the launcher is done and the overlay isn't available in game.

If someone finds a solution to this please inform me here, I'd be eternally grateful :)

• Like 2

LinkToReality

Yeah, I'm horrible for not wanting to pay 60€ for my games when there's perfectly valid options to get it for 43€...

I'm quite sure I'm not the only sensible shopper out there so less trolling thanks.

• Like 3

Archmaster0

I'm not even getting that far. I added PlayGTAV.exe as a non-Steam game but whenever I try launching through Steam the process just closes without even coming up on screen. Launching it outside of Steam works fine though, I wonder what's happening.

LinkToReality

Yeah, it was the same for me, but I used a different GTAVLauncher.exe that someone posted on the Steam forums, because apparently a lot of people on Steam also had the issue despite buying in there.

It made me able to start the game through Steam but yeah, no overlay.

Edited by LinkToReality

LinkToReality

Sadly it's lost in the tsunami of topics in the GTA section of the Steam forums D:

Seems the issue with getting the overlay to work is simply that the game HAS to be launched with the launcher. Thus the launcher takes priority with Steam and when it's closed along with the start up of the game Steam thinks you closed the game you started...

TheMostKnowledgable

A workaround until a solution is found is ALT+ENTER which toggles fullscreen, then shift focus with the windows key or the alt+tab method. The game will autopause on focus loss (if the setting is default/enabled). You can still do things with steam and your browser that way, and it is a painless toggle, very quick, they did it right.

Try this, report back if it works. Watch it first as I'm not entirely sure if he means to make a game run, or to get the overlay, people say it doesn't work, but as I watch the steps, it looks like it might:

Edited by TheMostKnowledgable

LinkToReality

Good attempt :p

It does make the "In non-Steam Game: GTA V" thing stay so people can see that I'm playing, but sadly no overlay in the game.

thanks for the tip either way :3

As for the windowed mode solution, I play all my games in borderless window if they support it, for the reason that I do tab a lot, but I prefer the overlay not only for the chats but also for quick and easy screenshots and such.

Edited by LinkToReality
  • Like 1

It does make the "In non-Steam Game: GTA V" thing stay so people can see that I'm playing, but sadly no overlay in the game.

Yeah I did this, its a temp make shift solution.

Used This For the grid and hover over display.

And Fraps for screenies.

Im sure someone will come up with a tidier way to do it all together.

Hey, can I have your GTA5.exe and GTAVLauncher.exe because I have the steam version and I need the non steam exe so I can open it without using steam. I want to test it will it run or my or not, because when I try launching it it asked for steam and steam asked me to re-download it.

• 2 weeks later...

thats what you get for going the cheap route

No need to pay something extra and Steam getting a part of the money, when it is just another, second, annoying DRM on top of RGSC.

No need to pay something extra and Steam getting a part of the money, when it is just another, second, annoying DRM on top of RGSC.

Steam has annoying DRM? Nah, has one of the best.

• Like 1

Steam has annoying DRM? Nah, has one of the best.

First I need to start Steam - potential time for updates, the occasional "i am stupid and can not connect, retry", and 150mb of RAM gone.

Then I need to start RGSC - potential time for updates and 150mb of RAM gone.

The Steam DRM is not too bad, but with all the quirks and when it is not needed, far to annoying to add on top voluntarily.

TheMostKnowledgable

Steam is awesome. Best game Overlay, built in streaming, friends, community, sales you can't get anywhere else, sales of games bought on sale on steam sold on G2A when not on sale on steam super cheap, you can't beat it.

300mb of don't mean much.

I never had a connection problem with steam that wasn't on my end or during simple short weekly downtime.

Steam hasn't been bad since 2004. PC hardware caught up with what they were trying to do a long time ago.

Edited by TheMostKnowledgable

Yet the OP wants to use the Steam features but not actually buy the game from Steam. So want to pay less and still use Steam?...

Edited by lysander

Well I was suduced by a cheap price tag too and bought it else where. In general I believe you get what you pay for. In this case, pixel for pixel, its the same game.

Cant speak for the OP, but for me personally, its not like I expect Steam to take over running and maintaining it. Honestly, I just wanna be able to press F12 - *snap* ! If R* would bother putting in this function, Id be happy. For now, FRAPS it is.

• Like 1

LinkToReality

Just wanted to let people know that I just managed to get the overlay to work by launching GTALauncher.exe with Steam.

Some other people on Steam's forums confirm that it worked for them as well.

Give it a shot if you haven't done so recently :D

Yet the OP wants to use the Steam features but not actually buy the game from Steam. So want to pay less and still use Steam?...

It's not too much to ask for functions that work with almost any other non-Steam game to work for this one too...

Edited by LinkToReality
  • Like 2

Aye! It seems the last mini patch which was focused on the launcher has made it possible. The overlay is now fully functional (be sure you have the "playGTAV.exe" file set to run as admin)

Which is nice, coz FRAPS was being a dick and not let me cap in 4k, cba trying out other apps. Now I can carry on being snap happy with the convenience of Steam.

2015-04-27_00011.jpg

2015-04-27_00020.jpg

Just wanted to let people know that I just managed to get the overlay to work by launching GTALauncher.exe with Steam.

Some other people on Steam's forums confirm that it worked for them as well.

Give it a shot if you haven't done so recently :D

It's not too much to ask for functions that work with almost any other non-Steam game to work for this one too...

Yes almost any other non-steam games there is never a guarantee on this and it's pretty cool that steam do offer this. If you buy from Steam then all good but if not and the overlay doesn't work straight away you cannot complain it doesn't have all the steam overlay features working as you didn't buy it from steam.

LinkToReality

I never really complained, I was just asking if anyone knew of a way.

Now there is a way.

Now everyone can be happy :p

Archmaster0

I'm still getting the same issue. When I add GTAVLauncher.exe as a non-Steam game and try launching it, the process starts up and almost immediately exits. This happens with any of the EXE files when launching through Steam but doesn't when launching them normally. Any advice?

I found that having admin rights on the other exe's stopped the overlay from working, oddly enough.

Go into win explorer, and be sure that only "playGTAV.exe" is set to run as admin, uncheck the option for anything else GTA related. If you had been using other bat/vbs files (your own user created ones only), rename them, adding "_old". This is just to avoid any confusion and keeps them around should you want them again in future.

Go back to your steam library. If you had been using other files to launch GTA, probably best to remove them all. Go up and add non steam game, it should detect GTAV in its suggestion list, add it (if not "browse" and manually add "playGTAV.exe").

That should do it.

I've already had Steam running as admin from before, don't know if it's required for this to work, so if your still having problems, fully exit Steam, set steam.exe to run as admin, and try again!

Seems to me you just have to add GTAV.exe: the actual game, not the launcher.