AlienTwo

Marvel's the Defenders-Daredevil-Luke Cage-Jessica Jones-Iron Fist

Zello

Welp

DareYokel

What the f*ck, Netflix? Why?

Mr. Scratch

Mah heart...

This means Punisher and Jessica Jones aren't getting renewed either. What the f*ck are they thinking? f*ck the Mouse.

Edited by Mr. Scratch

Zello

I don't think it's all disneys fault. Netflix is kinda responsible too for this f*cking mess.

Edited by KY Jello

Mr. Scratch

No, this is all Disney's work, they're starting up their own streaming platform and since they basically own Marvel they don't want their properties on someone else's platform. 

But imagine the possibilities if they hadn't cancelled, you'd be able to watch Cinderella, Mickey Mouse, The Punisher and Pocahontas.

DexMacLeod

I don't think it's Disney's fault really. From what I've read Disney was actually upset that Netflix wanted to reduce the episode count per season on the shows. Pretty sure Netflix cancelled because they're expensive to make and don't bring in enough new subscribers to justify the cost.

Personally, if I were Netflix I'd have at least given the shows a proper ending though. Netflix is in the business of creating a library of content and having a bunch of series that end on cliffhangers doesn't really encourage people to sign up and check them out.

Zello

Since the shows are over I really hope Marvel decides to bring them into the movies even if they distanced themselves a lot from the MCU. This can still be salvaged.

Dbzk1999

Yeah, the (I believe) CCO of Netflix said earlier this year that THEY are the ones that ultimately decide whether a show is canceled or not.

netflhx has been trying to get their own original content. Look at the Millerverse they’re developing, having Dahl books to adapt, Haunting on Hill House, OiTNB, and many more on their library

Zello

Jimmy

After Daredevil's cancellation, I wasn't waiting for a Punisher Season 2. This is quite a surprise. They had already canceled Luke Cage, Iron First & maybe were about to pull the plug on Jessica Jones. Ben Barnes was in talks to reprise his role as Russo in Season 2. It also seems that Josh Stewart & Giorgia Whigham have joined the cast as John Pilgrim & Amy respectively.

Zello

Punisher Season 2 was already finished filming when they canceled Daredevil.

We're also getting Jessica Jones Season 3.

Jimmy
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Zello said:

Punisher Season 2 was already finished filming when they canceled Daredevil.

Makes me wonder what is going to decide the fate of Punisher. They may just cancel it after Season 2, like they did with Daredevil. The Punisher seems more promising though. It has had great ratings.

Edited by Jimmy

Zello

January 18th

darthYENIK

Cancelled: January 19th.

DexMacLeod
19 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Makes me wonder what is going to decide the fate of Punisher. They may just cancel it after Season 2, like they did with Daredevil. The Punisher seems more promising though. It has had great ratings.

I don't think anything can save it. I feel like netflix getting rid of Daredevil means they're done with all of it. I just hope it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. 

Flash525
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, darthYENIK said:

Cancelled: January 19th.

Didn't see that one coming. 😪 JJ to be cancelled next then. I really do hope all these shows get relaunched (with the same cast) on the Disney streaming service. The people involved deserve better than this.

Dbzk1999
On 1/7/2019 at 5:15 AM, Flash525 said:

Didn't see that one coming. 😪 JJ to be cancelled next then. I really do hope all these shows get relaunched (with the same cast) on the Disney streaming service. The people involved deserve better than this.

That person was making a joke. I mean, it’s likely not going to be continued, but that was a joke

Flash525
18 minutes ago, Dbzk1999 said:

That person was making a joke. I mean, it’s likely not going to be continued, but that was a joke

So was I. 😛 As soon as they cancelled the first show I became concerned, then once Daredevil was cancelled it was obvious the others would follow.

Jimmy
On 1/7/2019 at 3:45 PM, Flash525 said:

I really do hope all these shows get relaunched (with the same cast) on the Disney streaming service. The people involved deserve better than this.

Sadly it won't happen. It's rare that a canceled show is picked up or renewed for another season. 

Flash525
1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Sadly it won't happen. It's rare that a canceled show is picked up or renewed for another season. 

I know, but I remain optimistic. I suppose the difference here, compared to other cancelled shows, is that it's simply because Disney want their property on their streaming service. It made no sense to cancel the shows like they did; it's not as if they weren't successful. It's just a lame move by Disney executives who need their ego put into check. It's not as if they're forever done with these characters, and (I suspect) there'll be a lot of fans that'll spite a relaunch of any of these characters (especially soon) because of the move by Disney.

DexMacLeod
2 minutes ago, Flash525 said:

I know, but I remain optimistic. I suppose the difference here, compared to other cancelled shows, is that it's simply because Disney want their property on their streaming service. It made no sense to cancel the shows like they did; it's not as if they weren't successful. It's just a lame move by Disney executives who need their ego put into check. It's not as if they're forever done with these characters, and (I suspect) there'll be a lot of fans that'll spite a relaunch of any of these characters (especially soon) because of the move by Disney.

But it was Netflix who cancelled them, not Disney. Disney wouldn't have the authority to cancel someone else's show.

Either way, I highly doubt these will end up on Disney's service. They supposedly have to wait two years after cancellation before they can officially take the rights back and even if they could get the whole cast and showrunners back after that time I think the service is aiming at more family friendly content.

One possibility, if they can get everyone back, might be Hulu. After the Fox deal is officially official Disney will own 60% of Hulu and it sounds like AT&T might be looking to sell their stake in it to Disney as well which would give Disney 70% control.   

Flash525
27 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

But it was Netflix who cancelled them, not Disney. Disney wouldn't have the authority to cancel someone else's show.

Either way, I highly doubt these will end up on Disney's service. They supposedly have to wait two years after cancellation before they can officially take the rights back and even if they could get the whole cast and showrunners back after that time I think the service is aiming at more family friendly content.

One possibility, if they can get everyone back, might be Hulu. After the Fox deal is officially official Disney will own 60% of Hulu and it sounds like AT&T might be looking to sell their stake in it to Disney as well which would give Disney 70% control.   

Despite what we may have heard, I can't (or don't) for one second believe this was all a Netflix decision. Daredevil was easily one of the best shows on Netflix. It makes literally no sense for them (Netflix) to cancel it. There's got to be some behind the scenes shenanigans going on between Netflix and Disney regarding the use of Marvel characters (and shows) on Netflix. There's literally no sense in cancelling a successful show unless someone else is pulling the strings, and it's a tad too convenient that Disney just so happen to be launching their own streaming service around the time of these cancellations.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a Disney decision. It has to be. 

Zello
Posted (edited)

Netflix wants to promote stuff they own. I guess they don't want to license stuff from Disney anymore.

Also isn't Ike Perlmutter involved with Marvel TV? He's pretty disliked and maybe Netflix didn't want to deal with him anymore either

Edited by Zello

DexMacLeod
3 hours ago, Flash525 said:

Despite what we may have heard, I can't (or don't) for one second believe this was all a Netflix decision. Daredevil was easily one of the best shows on Netflix. It makes literally no sense for them (Netflix) to cancel it. There's got to be some behind the scenes shenanigans going on between Netflix and Disney regarding the use of Marvel characters (and shows) on Netflix. There's literally no sense in cancelling a successful show unless someone else is pulling the strings, and it's a tad too convenient that Disney just so happen to be launching their own streaming service around the time of these cancellations.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a Disney decision. It has to be. 

Netflix cancelling these shows now that Disney is launching its own service isn't a coincidence. Netflix doesn't want to be producing content that might entice people to check out their new competition.

Also, Daredevil being popular with critics doesn't necessarily mean it was profitable for Netflix. When Supergirl was on CBS the network was paying $3 million an episode in licensing fees and they have a pretty solid working relationship with Warner Bros. so I imagine Disney was charging Netflix a whole lot more. If Netflix was somehow making a boatload of cash from their Marvel shows I think they'd have stuck with them.

I don't see how Disney could have forced Netflix to cancel. They gave up the rights and if they could just snatch them back that easily Disney would have Hulk and the Fantastic Four back and would have gotten the X-Men back ages ago. Unless Netflix signed a really dumb contract. Either way, Netflix would have laid the blame squarely on Disney for the show's ending instead of taking it themselves.

Zello

Corndawg93

I look forward to Punisher getting canned a week after it airs

Zello
2 hours ago, Corndawg93 said:

Its inevitable. We all know it's happening. I wonder If Netflix will cancel it like 5 minutes after it releases just to get it over with.

Jimmy
8 hours ago, Corndawg93 said:

Seems inevitable at this point. Even the ratings won't save the show. I wonder how the show will turn out at this point. There's no definitive storyline at this point. The whole trailer focuses on making Frank a superhero. At this point Russo and Castle are warped reflections of one another. He (Castle) surely takes some of the worst beatings in MCU though :D. The show seems more focused on showing whether he's a fundamentally nice guy or not. If anything we learnt from the last season, it is that Russo and Castle don't have many confrontational scenes with each other (physically). It would be nice to see how Russo's character development finally turns him into Jigsaw (like the Comics). This season seems different and it would take nothing short of a miracle to save the series from being canceled.

Edited by Jimmy

Zello

Seen the first three episodes really want to know what the hell that girl did.

Corndawg93

Just finished season 2, I'm guessing they got wind it might get canned, no Cliffhanger in sight