2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA V and 4K 60fps... wut?!

aragond

This is going to be a dopey question, but I'll ask it anyway: what the flaming hell are R* on about when they boast about GTA V is 4K at 60fps? Is this just a statement of "Oh, our game is designed to perform up to this fps at this resolution, isn't that awesome?" or are they ... I'm sure not ... but ... frame rate limiting?

Why aren't the fps just whatever your rig is capable of? I mean, yes, a cray computer wasn't capable of 60fps in IV, because rubbish, so having V capable of being run at 60fps **IS** an improvement worth boasting, even at 4K. But, it just seems strange that they would boast about a specific framerate when they could have said 61 fps, or 68, or 123...?!

So, what is all this 4K 60fps business?

Because 90% of pc monitors today are 60hz (so it's the ideal frame rate for most people), so it's not an arbitrary number, and the fact that a game as huge as GTA V is able to pull off almost constant 60fps (according to them) on 4k with hardware available today is quite an achievement.

Edited by lydianduck
  • Like 2

oCrapaCreeper

Below 60 FPS in a PC game nowadays with appropriate hardware is pretty much seen as unacceptable, and 4K is becoming more of thing as time goes on. It should be obvious they have to cater towards standards PC gamers expect nowadays, especially when they have competing AAA companies who are not delivering what is expected in a PC game (looking at you, Ubisoft). Advertising a game like GTA, originally from console, that can run at 60FPS and 4K is practically a gold mine for advertising nowadays with all these sh*t pc ports failing to hit it.

And no, it's not framelocked, it's already confirmed you can go above 60 if your hardware is capable.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

You're looking too much into this.

It's not framelocked, it's been mentioned by the devs in interviews.

Monitors are at a standard of 60Hz right now right? Sure, there are 144Hz monitors, but 60 Hz is more prevalent. So 60 FPS is a good term to use.

I look forward to running this game on 4K :) it wont be 60 FPS on my machine, but for that I'll just bump it down to 2K (lel) or something, idk.

dockgtaf.gif

very few f*cking people have 4k monitors not to mention what it would cost to run it at 60fps. I own laptops that get do that.

I start with GTX 750ti and a 29" 1080 60Hz) monior

First next goal is updating to GTX 970

after that i think i go widescreen 34" 3440x1440

I need a lot of time for that, but it are nice goals to see GTA V better and better :D

I start with GTX 750ti and a 29" 1080 60Hz) monior

First next goal is updating to GTX 970

after that i think i go widescreen 34" 3440x1440

I need a lot of time for that, but it are nice goals to see GTA V better and better :D

34" 4k with a GTX 970 ? get ready to play on low settings 30 fps

Do yas reckon a 4790K, 2x 980 SLi with 16GB ram would be enough to hit R*'s vaunted 4K/60Hz?

Not that I have a 4K monitor yet, just a 1080/120Hz, but I think I *might* just be able to get over 40fps this time. (Stupid IV...)

I think it's a market strategy to get console players to buy aswell.

As do I, because if R*'s trailers are anything to go by, in their full 720p glory, no console is going to score 60Hz much less at 4K. And, as we all know only too well, R* DO love money.

4k monitor...only for rich people

Not necessarily. If you're prepared to suck it with a Dell 8ms monitor, they're not too excessively priced Edited by aragond

Do yas reckon a 4790K, 2x 980 SLi with 16GB ram would be enough to hit R*'s vaunted 4K/60Hz?

Not that I have a 4K monitor yet, just a 1080/120Hz, but I think I *might* just be able to get over 40fps this time. (Stupid IV...)

Rockstar said that SLI GTX 980s are getting 4K at 60FPS, we won't know until tonight.

Also if you can deal with a decent screen, a 4K 60Hz monitor is only $500: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=12156&seq=1&format=2

@ OP: You can forget about 60fps and ESPECIALLY 4k with that gpu...

nightmare-slain

4k 60fps is a pretty high standard even for PC. you would need really high end parts to achieve it. for most people, myself included, 1080p 60fps is more than enough. some people however want to get the absolute best performance they can and all rockstar is doing is providing such performance/quality for these people. also they want to ensure that the game isn't easily maxed out. sure today a lot of pc owners will manage 1080p 60fps ultra or 4k 30fps but it'll be years yet before everyone can truly max the game out. another example of this would be crysis. when that came out not even the highest end PC could run it smoothly. these games push the boundaries of what is normal in the PC market.

an example of how 4k 60fps compares to 1080p 60fps:

1920 x 1080 = 2073600 pixels. each pixel is refreshed 60 times a second. that means that the PC has to change the pixels 12441600 /s

3840 x 2160 = 8294400 pixels x 30/s = 248832000 / s

3840 x 2160 = 8294400 pixels x 60/s = 497664000 / s

Edited by one55

Also if you can deal with a decent screen, a 4K 60Hz monitor is only $500: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=12156&seq=1&format=2

*cough* Australian flag on Aragond's faceplate *cough* ... Okay, well, it used to be there until I changed it to Benin or somesuch

4k 60fps is a pretty high standard even for PC. you would need really high end parts to achieve it. for most people, myself included, 1080p 60fps is more than enough. some people however want to get the absolute best performance they can and all rockstar is doing is providing such performance/quality for these people. also they want to ensure that the game isn't easily maxed out. sure today a lot of pc owners will manage 1080p 60fps ultra or 4k 30fps but it'll be years yet before everyone can truly max the game out. another example of this would be crysis. when that came out not even the highest end PC could run it smoothly. these games push the boundaries of what is normal in the PC market.

3840 x 2160 = 8294400 pixels x 60/s = 497,664,000 / s

No disagreement. Yes, apparently 4K/120Hz requires DisplayPort 1.3 (which got finalised six months ago) simply BECAUSE of the data transfer rates.

4k monitor...only for rich people

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8430969&CatId=8893

I paid $700 for my 55" 4k 60hz tv... they're not that expensive, really.

>Says he paid $700

>looks at link. $340.

>Should I mention it? Prolly not. Might be a touchy subject.

@ OP: You can forget about 60fps and ESPECIALLY 4k with that gpu...

Not talking about achieving this with present h/w, but with:

But thanks for playing.

Edited by aragond