3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Operating System Not Found

Maxxi

I have a question about a laptop I have come about aquiring. A Sony Vaio PCG-7184L. It has a brand new hard drive in it, and I have a Windows 7 Home Premium install disk. Every time I turn on the laptop, it shows the Vaio logo quickly, then blacks out, and after a short period of time, even with the disk inside the disk drive, it says "Operating System Not Found." How may I get the operating system off of the disk and onto the HDD?

Might have to go into the BIOS (not sure which button it is for you) and set the CD-DVD ROM drive as the primary boot drive.

VWSTp.png

Might have to go into the BIOS (not sure which button it is for you) and set the CD-DVD ROM drive as the primary boot drive.

Internal Optical Disk Drive?

Sounds like that would be the only logical choice. Try it and report back with more :)

VWSTp.png

Sounds like that would be the only logical choice. Try it and report back with more :)

Operating System Not Found._

Bios settings restored to default, and when that failed I turned on external boot and network boot. Not sure if those affect it or not.

Did you save the settings or anything? Try turning your laptop on and then hitting F12, then select the dvd drive.

VWSTp.png

If you're still getting the operating system not found message still, go back into the BIOS and make sure that you change the boot order so that it is booting from the DVD drive first. When the computer starts up, make sure to watch the screen as it may require you to press a button or something to engage the boot from the DVD drive.

If you're still getting the operating system not found message still, go back into the BIOS and make sure that you change the boot order so that it is booting from the DVD drive first. When the computer starts up, make sure to watch the screen as it may require you to press a button or something to engage the boot from the DVD drive.

Tried both setting Internal Optical Disk Drive and Hard Disk Drive to 1st priority, still gives the same error.

Select 1st Boot Priority [internal Optical Disk Drive]

&

Select 1st Boot Priority [Hard Disk Drive]

Did you save the settings or anything? Try turning your laptop on and then hitting F12, then select the dvd drive.

PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Operating System Not Found_

Try to change your boot mode setting from UEFI to Legacy. Boot > Boot Mode > Select "Legacy" > save changes > select the shutdown option. And then try again.

– overeducated wonk who fetishises compromise

Try to change your boot mode setting from UEFI to Legacy. Boot > Boot Mode > Select "Legacy" > save changes > select the shutdown option. And then try again.

There is no Boot Mode in the Boot menu.

In other news, looking at the BIOS has taught me that this laptop has 4GB RAM and a 1TB HDD. Start of a gaming laptop? I dunno.

4GB wouldn't really be the greatest for gaming. Right now it depends on the CPU and GPU.

VWSTp.png

Then try the following go the "Security" tab and disable "Secure Boot". Then go to the "Advanced" tab and change your boot mode / boot setting from there.

In other news, looking at the BIOS has taught me that this laptop has 4GB RAM and a 1TB HDD. Start of a gaming laptop? I dunno.

RAM and HDD space are basically meaningless. The big factors are the CPU and GPU which in all likelihood are crap since it sounds like just a regular consumer grade laptop. Don't get me wrong, not saying you won't be able to play games on it but you're probably going to have issues and they're going to run poorly.

Then try the following go the "Security" tab and disable "Secure Boot". Then go to the "Advanced" tab and change your boot mode / boot setting from there.
I'd take a picture, but the screen is incredibly bright so it won't be visible at all. Under the Security tab all I get are greyed out options for passwords. No Secure Boot anywhere.

Yeah factory limited/locked sounds like.

Question, are you using a commercial install disc?

Yeah factory limited/locked sounds like.

Question, are you using a commercial install disc?

Windows 7 Home Premium that came with an old refurbished PC my dad bought. I just kept the disk after the PC went to sh*t. Installed it onto another PC like a week ago, which is what I'm using now. Do you think that may be the issue at hand?

Edited by CoolStoryBroseph

Yeah. Assuming you have a valid retail product key you should be able to download an official .ISO of Win 7 from here and create a new bootable DVD or USB.

Yeah. Assuming you have a valid retail product key you should be able to download an official .ISO of Win 7 from here and create a new bootable DVD or USB.

637694a6064d5d3345f648fa1381e07d.png

This was using the product key found on the bottom of the laptop.

Which leads me right back to square one, where I initially started by searching for Sony support topics.

Edited by CoolStoryBroseph

SapphireCrystal

Not sure if you fixed it already, but don't you have any friends that you could borrow their Windows install disk and enter the code?

Or you know, the good ol' "bittorrent" method, with your key you got method that I won't talk about here.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you fixed it already, but don't you have any friends that you could borrow their Windows install disk and enter the code?

Or you know, the good ol' "bittorrent" method, with your key you got method that I won't talk about here.

I am confused by your post. No still unresolved as well, but I've been focusing on building a PC lately.

637694a6064d5d3345f648fa1381e07d.png

This was using the product key found on the bottom of the laptop.

Which leads me right back to square one, where I initially started by searching for Sony support topics.

Yeah, if it's on a sticker placed on your laptop, then it's OEM.

VWSTp.png