2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Strategic Car Upgrades for Racing

ndyerger

I've wondered about this but haven't seen any discussion, so I'll ask the forum. Are there cars that preform better without being fully upgraded? On some cars I prefer to leave off a turbo to keep the engine sound but are there any cars that suffer when every performance mod is added? Does more power sometimes lead to way less traction and a suffering to the handling? What mods do you take off if so?

JoeBoneless

I've beat fully modded cars using stock vehicles

Full upgrades help but not as much as general driving skill

Thanks for the reply Joe but it's not really on topic. I'm not questioning the merits of driving a stock car. I'm asking if putting every performance mod in a vehicle will always produce the highest performance potential for a vehicle or not. To be clear this has nothing to do with driver skill.

Edited by ndyerger

Ive often thought about this, I got the Rat Truck and I was testing the breaking distances and with the breaks and just the breakes fully done up I was surprised to find that it took longer to stop! R* logic... :p

Edit: I did have the amour done up to 100% so maybe that effected it due to the extra weight...

Edited by Guest

xInfamousRYANx

Ive often thought about this, I got the Rat Truck and I was testing the breaking distances and with the breaks and just the breakes fully done up I was surprised to find that it took longer to stop! R* logic... :p

Edit: I did have the amour done up to 100% so maybe that effected it due to the extra weight...

Common misconception

Armor does not add weight

putting full mods on any car will always make it the best it can be leaving off mods reduces the cars potential. Suspension is probably the only thing affecting performance as it changes the cars center of gravity and how it takes bumps and curbs. Most noticeable on the Turismo

I saw someone mention the other day having full armor adds weight to the vehicle making it slower. Keeping it at 20% should add no weight.

I downgraded the armor on my entity and it did seem slightly faster but coulda been just me.

edit..yea im gonna say its faster. I just beat 11 zentornos in a race lol

Edited by StangOne50

Lord Darantuin

Armor does increase the car weight, I've tested this with many cars and the effect seems so significant I find it hard to believe it's just placebo. Spoiler also affects the handling, same with suspension, there's other things aswell but some of them are so vague I wouldn't bet my ass on them..

I like to consider my personal modifications as a "professional secret" (don't take that too seriously, it's just a game but still you get my point :p). But take Coquette for an example; With lowest suspension and spoiler the car becomes extremely responsive, so much that it actually makes you lose control VERY easily. Just a minor bump might throw your tail to the side. These mods help with tight cornering but they also make the car very unstable and hectic.

I think the difference between fully armored, winged, fully suspended Coquette, and a stock one is very noticeable. That alone is enough for me to prove the mods actually do have an effect on the car handling.

I've also been experimenting with Transmission and I have a feeling that besides adding a bit of acceleration to the car, the transmission upgrades also affect how "easily" you can manually switch gears while driving, which of course is a huge bonus. Not quite sure about this yet though, just a feeling I've had a for a while.

xInfamousRYANx

Fine believe what you want to believe. Armor does not add any weight its a placebo if you think it does just because its called "armor"

Only "armor" that adds weight is the Armored Kuruma which is slower than the Kuruma

There's a weight stat in the ifruit app when you add armour though, makes me wonder why add it..

Armour does nothing (fact, end of story, get off your drugs,), suspension sometimes makes cars harder to drive and therefore slower..

Strategic upgrades for racing, turbo first, off road tyres second. You can win most races with just those two upgrades.