3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Weapon physics/damage/realism

American Viking

American Viking

I'm a big fan of military tactical shooters, games like Rainbow Six and Operation Flashpoint, and that's because they get the weapons and the damage right for the most part. I only wish that GTA did the same. I'm not what one would consider "savvy" when it comes to firearms, but I know the weapon physics in GTA leave much to be desired. I should not have to shoot a guy 3 times in the chest with an automatic rifle to kill him. I feel like GTA IV came as close to realistic weapons as we've seen yet, and then GTA V went backwards completely. All the guns in GTA V feel identical. I'd like to be able to buy a handgun in GTA, and feel like I'm holding a serious weapon and not an airsoft gun. So, all my knowledgeable gun folks out there, how could Rockstar make the shooting mechanics/damage more realistic? Or, do you like it as is?

At least double GTA V's aim kick when firing, add some reticle bloom with continuous fire, make the guns visually recoil more with better animations and for the love of god, better gunshot sounds.

• Like 6

I don't know why most games skimp on audio, it makes the experience so, so much better with properly done audio. Guns sounding like pea shooters lessens the...heavy feel/impact you expect from something that screws up anything you point at and pull the trigger, which isn't just volume but also how muted the recorded sound is (looking at you, CoD) - especially since in GTA your ears are unprotected (whereas in military games, sometimes you have helmets or the like, although in CoD you often plainly are just wearing sunglasses or something equally useless). Combine this with the other things TheKillerDonuts said and the guns will feel, surprisingly, like guns, and not paintball rifles. Maybe throw in clearer/larger muzzle flash and particle effects from the end of the barrel if you want, echo is always welcome, and have the enemy AI often burst fire with fully-automatic rifles so it's not a stupid constant stream of noise and the guns will feel so much more realistic whilst barely altering the gameplay.

Also, like American Alpha said all the guns feel identical. There's not point having multiple rifles if they're all the same; you could make them a lot more unique by altering their sound, recoil, and having a more noticeable different in rate-of-fire, even if it isn't true to the gun they're based off of, since otherwise they'll be fairly similar which is pointless.

Oh, and larger reactions from the environment will help a lot - if you shoot walls, boxes, the ground etc. right now there isn't much more than a bullet hole decal applied and a momentary puff of smoke; having the impact smoke/particles be larger, linger longer, plus (getting fanciful here) destruction more like Ranbow Six Siege's (shooting out parts of an object like a wall or barricade instead of destroying the entire thing by shooting the corner), but on small objects like wooden boxes, fences, electrical boxes etc. will make the guns that much more...believable.

But that's not gonna be here for a while yet :p

• Like 3

gwZr6Zc.png

matajuegos01

I'd love to kill enemies by shooting through their thin cover. Like wtf they are taking cover in a car door and I can't shoot them? lol ffs

• Like 2

The Dedito Gae

a bit of gore would help to make guns feel more menacing, not blow your head with a shotgun but just giving you a closed casket funeral would be enough, just ruin the face of peds.

the recoil in IV was perfect and maybe, just maybe, bring back the fact that the protag could be "knocked" by shotguns like in the 3D universe, i remember the awful feeling when i saw a goon with a Stubby in LCS,made the whole thing more exciting.

Edited by Midnight Hitman
  • Like 3

matajuegos01

a bit of gore would help to make guns feel more menacing, not blow your head with a shotgun but just giving you a closed casket funeral would be enough, just ruin the face of peds.

the recoil in IV was perfect and maybe, just maybe, bring back the fact that the protag could be "knocked" by shotguns like in the 3D universe, i remember the awful feeling when i saw a goon with a Stubby in LCS,made the whole thing more exciting.

don't forget that they should also add the ragdoll of the protagonist after being near an explosion, not like in V where you die instantly

• Like 2

I completely agree with you @AA. Handguns in V are an absolute garbage. They were garbage in IV as well and every other GTA so far but V takes this step even further. Any handgun in V, be it 9mm, combat (.45), heavy or .50 feels like a f*cking airsoft toy.

I find it especially pathetic because i work in the military, i`m a gun enthusiast and i also hunt. So i have plenty of expreiences with almost any kind of weapons and that`s why i find V`s handguns such a crap.

It sounds like an airsoft toy and it`s damage is way too low compared to real life. And even more, the fire rate is stupidly slow. These handguns are semi-auto which means that the fire rate will be as fast as you can pull the trigger untill the magazine will be empty.

So that means that with a 15+1 capacity combined with very fast trigger pulling you`ll be able to manually create almost full auto fire.

But in V the fire rate will always be the same. Not to mention it`s pathetic damage and sounds.

Now i know it isn`t a weapon simulator but come on R*, you could do a better job. Why creating a computerized garbage gun sounds so they sound totally pathetic and unrealistic if they could simply record the real life gun sounds and put them into the game?

Would that be so hard? I`m sure it would be easier than making these fake and pathetic sounds.

Besides i`m f*cking pissed that 9mm pistol was in every GTA so far presented as some weak child`s toy. It`s f*cking bullsh*t. Even 9mm is a serious gun, especially with some hollow point ammo with high grain capacity. 1 good placed shot and you`re history.

In GTA you need like half of magazine to kill someone unless it`s a headshot.

As for other GTA weapons, i can only number few of them that are at least somehow close to realism by their sounds, rate and damage.

AK47 (GTA IV)

CARBINE (GTA IV)

MG and COMBAT MG (GTA V)

HEAVY SNIPER (GTA V)

And that`s about it.

Edited by MrDeSanta
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Weed_from_Field

GTA IV sucks more than the others. Come on,like a 7-9 shots to 'kill' a man? And after that,he is laying on the ground,but moving. Then he stands up and walks as if he is injured. What? Seriously? Even in GTA SA normal ped is dead after 4 shots,and in GTA 4 he's not unless you unload half a magazine to his body or a headshot. Guns in GTA suck balls.

• Like 1

lastmanonearth

You should be able to mow down pedestrians with one bullet each, so that bodies rain when you start rampaging with an AK 47. The cops of course should be harder to take down. It`s crazy that one punch usually kills and one bullet doesn`t!

• Like 1

Weed_from_Field

You should be able to mow down pedestrians with one bullet each, so that bodies rain when you start rampaging with an AK 47. The cops of course should be harder to take down. It`s crazy that one punch usually kills and one bullet doesn`t!

Cops should have bulletproof vests,so yes,they are harder to take down. But developers should replace the AK (the original one,47 is just a factory number) with modern ones,AK-109,for example,or the most recent one,AK-12.

Edited by Weed_from_Field

lastmanonearth

Cops should have bulletproof vests,so yes,they are harder to take down. But developers should replace the AK (the original one,47 is just a factory number) with modern ones,AK-109,for example,or the most recent one,AK-12.

I like the sound the AK 47 makes but I`d most rather have a fully automatic AR 15 like I`ve shot numerous times at gun ranges.

Payne Killer

We should have better gun sounds, better gore, and MG's should be stronger. I want a car to fall about when I fill it with rounds.