2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Possible performance from GTA V

SomerenV

The amount of people here asking if their rig can run GTA V on medium/high/1080p/4k/etc is staggering. No one knows, no one can answer those questions truthfully.

Anyways, based on what little information Rockstar Games has given us as to what we can expect from certain graphics cards I made a calculation on what to expect from the performance of GTA V on several video cards and resolutions. The following is based on the fact that a PC with two GTX980's can run GTA V on 4K at 60fps on maximum details. I've looked at several benchmarks and concluded that the performance scales three times between 4K and 1080p (well, about three times). I've also noticed that (1.) the requirements for GTA V are close to those for Battlefield 4 and (2.) the GTX980 in SLI gets about 60fps in Battlefield 4 on ultra in 4K (which is what you would get in GTA V is we are to believe the previews). So I've looked at benchmarks, done some calculations and this is the end result:

1080p (max) 4K (max)
Nvidia GTX980 90fps 30fps
Nvidia GTX970 70fps 25fps
Nvidia GTX960 50fps 14fps
Nvidia GTX780ti 80fps 25fps
Nvidia GTX680 50fps 10fps
AMD Radeon 290X 70fps 25fps
AMD Radeon 290 60fps 25fps
AMD Radeon 280X 50fps 17fps
AMD Radeon 285 50fps 14fps
It could be that the preview version was capped at 60fps and Rockstar noted they used a machine that was more than powerful enough to do 4K in 60fps on max. In that case the fps for all cards will be a bit higher (not much I believe).
So, on to the next section. Rockstar stated that with a GTX 760 or HD7870 you can play on 4k, but it's a minimum requirement. So I'm guessing that you'll be able to play 4K on low and get about 30fps. This however, even though it's a guess, scales perfectly to the GTX660, with which you can play in 1080p with 60fps on high (it's the recommended card according to Rockstar, along with the HD7870). Why on high? Because according to Rockstar the recommended specifications allow you to play on 1080p with 60fps on high. So again I've looked at some benchmarks, did some calculations and this is the result:
1080p (high) 4K (low)
Nvidia GTX760 70fps 30fps
Nvidia GTX660 60fps 25fps
Nvidia GTX580 53fps 23fps
Nvidia GTX560ti 41fps 18fps
AMD Radeon HD7870 60fps 30fps
AMD Radeon HD6950 37fps 19fps
AMD Radeon HD5870 33fps 17fps
AMD Radeon HD4870 19fps 10fps
The above list was made before Rockstar said anything about recommended specs enables you to play 1080p (high) at 60fps, so my prediction for that was right on the money. And I do believe that the real benchmarks will come really close to the rest of the predictions. But more 'realistic' than what I've got here as far as performance is impossible to get. It is impassible to know for sure what the performance is going to be. But, just about 2 more days and than we'll know!
Edit: I didn't look at the cpu because that's impossible to calculate. Also, if the indications are right, the cpu will be less important than the GPU. Basically means that whether you have an i5 2500k or i5 4-series for example, the performance will only differ a few fps. Lots of other benchmarks show the same btw, but not sure on this one.
Edited by SomerenV

You forgot the gtx 770 and 780. But great job

Thanks :) Yeah, I didn't include some cards but the 780 will be able (based on my predictions) to play 1080p60 on max fairy easily :) The GTX770 will do better than the GTX680 which also means 1080p60 (or close to it).

why cant we just wait til the game is released -.-

I know what my card does in other games so I have a fair idea of how well it will perform for GTAV.

Anyone that doesnt know what their rig can do should just stop playing PC games

GrandTeaRedemption

You forgot the gtx 770 and 780. But great job

Thanks :) Yeah, I didn't include some cards but the 780 will be able (based on my predictions) to play 1080p60 on max fairy easily :) The GTX770 will do better than the GTX680 which also means 1080p60 (or close to it).

Can you add the 2 cards in your original post? Thx

I know what my card does in other games so I have a fair idea of how well it will perform for GTAV.

Totally agree with you :) That's also one of the reasons I wanted to predict the possible performance. I myself couldn't care less about it and I'll find out what my PC will do performance wise with GTA V, but trying to predict this was kinda fun to do. This also ends (to some degree) the endless questions about how a certain setup will do. What I've got here is as close as anyone will get when it comes to guessing how a PC will do.

• Like 1

Just ask yourselves, Im I able to run IV at least on medium settings?

If the answer is yes, then you can max the sh*t out of V.

Problem solved, mod you can close thread. (JK) lol.

Edited by Rainy Day
  • Like 1

Totally agree with you :) That's also one of the reasons I wanted to predict the possible performance. I myself couldn't care less about it and I'll find out what my PC will do performance wise with GTA V, but trying to predict this was kinda fun to do. This also ends (to some degree) the endless questions about how a certain setup will do. What I've got here is as close as anyone will get when it comes to guessing how a PC will do.

Except its not that cut and dry. Im not intending to criticize for the sake of it, but GPU isn't the end all be all to figuring out how something will perform in terms of FPS performance and resolution.

How does your predicted benchmarking account for the variety of CPUs that people have? RAM amounts? You're also assuming that the game is heavily reliant on GPU, but we really don't know how its optimized yet. Someone on a lesser GPU, but a stronger CPU will have performance fluctuations and that can absolutely affect FPS. Individual settings will also play a big role. This game has so many graphic options that will have to be considered.

I respect what you are trying to do here, I just can't see how reliant of any sort of guide it can be other than your own personal guessing portal.

Regardless in 2 days there will be tweak guides for all manners of set ups and benchmarking videos to reference as well.

Tell me again how AC: Unity ran at release.

Fine for me. Except NPC (AI path) problems.

Fine for me. Except NPC (AI path) problems.

And terrible for a vast number of other players, just like with GTA IV, even though they probably "knew what their rig could do" prior to release.

nightmare-slain

oh, i just built my pc. i'm not entirely sure of what it's capable of. it's my first gaming PC as i've been playing on consoles for years. maybe i should just sell my PC then. f*ck me for trying to learn about PC gaming, right?

don't say such stupid things. good for you that you know what your PC is capable of. if threads like this bother you then don't come into them! there are people here who are new to PC gaming and aren't sure what to expect from parts.

I'm still curious if pc's with dual cores can even start the game (DA: I and Far Cry 4 couldnt without a fix), it'll take another month until i'll buy a new cpu but i can't wait to play it on release day even on low settings at 720p.

It's said that PS4 and PC have similiar architecture. You can get stable 30 fps on PS4. And the GPU of a PS4 is BASED on the 7870 http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/171375-reverse-engineered-ps4-apu-reveals-the-consoles-real-cpu-and-gpu-specs

Don't know how much this add to this discussion, but still.

RedIndianRobin

I'm still curious if pc's with dual cores can even start the game (DA: I and Far Cry 4 couldnt without a fix), it'll take another month until i'll buy a new cpu but i can't wait to play it on release day even on low settings at 720p.

This game is not locked for Dual core users confirmed by a Rockstar employee.

GamerFromHolland

I'm really crossing my fingers right now the game won't run like sh*t on dual cores...

hum hum...

People here need to grow up...

In the game industry, the "Recommended specs" (GTX 660 here) = high, 60 FPS, 1080p!
Or don't talk to me about "optimization" !
Yeah i know, Rockstar can say anything, do anything, some people still defend the company. Press release (and other "previews" made by magazines aren't related to information or truth but only about promoting ! (Never trust a f*cking company!).

Love the game (love Rockstar north for GTA Serie), hate the company (Rockstar games, the publisher for its disgusting marketing product policy and communication policy).

When another company presents high specs (to be cautious), people with a small config buy it anyway and cry, and others talk about unoptimization.

But when Rockstar provides specs ridiculously low (there are still people who think they can adequately play GTA V with a nvidia 9800.... try it with GTA IV... and MP3!), these same people will talk about "good" optimization ... and will cry because of "servers", "Windows", or of the other players ("Boohooo... my game lag/crash... probably due to the other players!!") instead of complaining to Rockstar for lying or exaggerating things.

Recommended specs by Ubisoft (or other company): OMG, theses specs are insane, f*cking noob devs, i can't run it on my computer (but I'll buy it anyway) ... sh*tty optimization !!
Recommended specs by Rockstar: OMG, theses specs are so nice, great senior* devs, i can run it on my old computer... Nice optimization!!
(*when in fact, the PC devs at Rockstar have no experience because from a rockstar game to another, the PC Devs are always different (duration contract for a PC Dev at Rockstar = average of 6 months...).

And don't talk to me about AC Unity. I don't care about Unity, i don't have it, but ok if you want, AC 3 & 4, Far Cry 1, 2, 3 (i don't have the 4), Watch_Dogs (and i don't have "the Crew" but I tested this game on my computer) and these games work perfectly on my computer and my old computer (for AC3, FC 1,2) (yes, i know how optimize my computer and windows), the real sh*t at ubisoft is "Uplay", but then, we can talk about GTA III, GTA IV, L.A Noire and Bully on PC (before the long awaited patches)........

When Ubisoft (Far Cry 3) released a 1.3Kb patch (DRM) downloadable the Day1 to prevent piracy (hacked 4 months after its release), people find that shameful and lamentable.

When Rockstar released a patch (rumor) the Day1 of 5Gb (or even 50Mb) claimed to unblock the game and against piracy, these same people find it normal and will blame people with a weak connection to the Internet.....

This is where we see morons. Believe that a DRM/unlocker must be a 5gb update/patch to be effective, we see they know nothing, and they are therefore some good idiots ready to accept everything (idiocraty law)....

If GTA V works with your performance (predictions in the first post), so it will be more greedy than Watch_dogs (which works perfectly on my computer GTX 780, i7 4770k (slightly higher than the recommended specs) at 1080p, 80FPS, Ultra)...
GTA V is a game from 2013 (i don't care if Rockstar release it only now), the foliage (for example because people polish their stick continuously about the foliage here) aren't superior than Skyrim or Far Cry 3!
This game must work better than watch_dogs on my computer: It's optimized, isn't it? And Rockstar has learned from its mistakes over the last two years concerning the PC games development, right? ....
It's funny, because Rockstar had already said this last thing (about learn for PC), after the release of MP3 .....

In fact, we can see all theses "specs" for GTA V are just bullsh*t. totally illogic (9800 can handle GTA V, but finaly, the 660 will be managed medium, 30-40FPS, with a PS3 quality.. or maybe PS4 quality........).

Ho no, with your prediction, a 780ti will be 80FPS (1080p) and a 660 will be to 60FPS (1080p) .... yes... of course and my ass ? There is a huge difference between a 660, 780, 780ti ! (much more than 20FPS).
And to answer to a person, as i said on another thread (several weeks ago), the 750 ti = 660 in terms of pure performance. In fact the 660 has much better results than the 750 / 750ti. Rockstar chose this card because knew it would be confusing (the 660 is a very good card, much better than the 750, the 760 overcome it barely in terms of game performance, @1080p).

RedIndianRobin

I'm really crossing my fingers right now the game won't run like sh*t on dual cores...

You too have a dual core?

Hope it's true, do you have a source?

RedIndianRobin

No source. I asked through PM. One of a guy in this forum is a Rockstar employee. He gave me that info. Just wait. One more day and you can see for yourself. :)

No source. I asked through PM. One of a guy in this forum is a Rockstar employee. He gave me that info. Just wait. One more day and you can see for yourself. :)

Good to hear that!

GamerFromHolland

You too have a dual core? Yep...
  • Like 1

Do you guys think that if i turn motion blur and depth of field off i will be able to maintain 60fps on max settings with GTX 680 and i7-3770K 4.2Ghz and 16GB 1600mhz ram?

Do you guys think that if i turn motion blur and depth of field off i will be able to maintain 60fps on max settings with GTX 680 and i7-3770K 4.2Ghz and 16GB 1600mhz ram?

How in the HOLY HELL can anyone know that ? The game isnt out yet -.-

Do you think that without game we can know that?

I hope to play 4k 30fps on med/high fairly stable on my 280x... while streaming to twitch in 720p/30fps. My 5820k is ready.