2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Furious 7 taking cues from GTA Online? - contains movie spoilers

Rammer2k

As is stated in the title, this post will contain movie spoilers for Furious 7, so if you haven't seen it yet, or don't want to be spoiled, I suggest hitting the back button.

So I saw Furious 7 last night. Not a bad movie for what it is. They really upped the outrageousness with the stunts, and super human moves. So much so that all I was thinking through the whole movie; is this a GTA Online session with a new Heist mission? It sure seemed like it.

For one part, the Crew had to rescue a hostage being help captive on a fully armored, and mini-gun equipped bus from a terrorist group, while being guarded by merryweather type mesas too. From the cars parachuting in, to Dom driving off a cliff like a lot of ppl do in GTA, this totally looked like a heist setup mission.

Next they have to heist a very Zentorno looking car in Abu Dhabi(which of course is bullet proof). Which is then followed by the well known scene of Dom, and a CGI planted OConnor taking said Zentorno through 3 skyscrapers, all while getting blasted at by Jason Stathom.

Even the fight scene with old man Kurt Russell looked GTA esq with him equipping his night vision shades, and taking out baddies left, and right.

The final battle scene looked like a typical free roam session in LS. A roided up Hobbs with mini-gun taking down a attack chopper. Homing missiles taking out cops, and cars. The little tribute montage they had for Paul Walker at the end reminded me of a drive through Blane County too.

I guess playing GTA Online for so long, it's very easy to compare similarities.

• Like 4

BUT THE BENZ

why do people pay money to see explosions for 90 minutes? will never understand...

• Like 6

OP, not to be a douche or anything, but im pretty sure youve got that backwards...

Im old enough that ive watched all the classic action flicks (former blockbuster employee) and have seen armoured convos and car chases like a zillion times before recreating it in GTA. :)

why do people pay money to see explosions for 90 minutes? will never understand...

Implying I paid anything.

Just sneak into the theater, you scr00b.

• Like 3

Turkish Turketarian

I go for the popcorn.

• Like 3

Sorry, but I don't see a whole lot of similarities here. I guess they are both over the top? The zentorno doesn't look anything like the lykan hypersport, but that may just be me. We never had any missions where we got to parachute cars out of an airplane then attack an armored convoy, ramp a car from skyscraper to skyscraper, or use night vision sunglasses and dual pistols to take on a bunch of terrorists in the dark. I think some of this stuff would be too much for rockstar to handle. Maybe you see similarities because gta has taken cues and examples from other over the top heist/action movies.

Edited by jsteelfex

I actually thought it took more cues from The Crew than anything else.

• Like 2

Commander S

Well, I wouldn't say it was influenced by GTAO exactly - but certainly, when the film climaxes with Los Angeles being turned into an impromptu war zone, with a crew in souped-up custom cars trying to evade a mercenary in a helicopter gunship, while some other guy starts blowing stuff to smithereens witha minigun (after just having used a 'borrowed' ambulance for a car chase, natch!)...

...it's a fair cop to say they've apparently converged on the same point! ;)

CarimboHanky

that last action sequence of the movie was something out of any typical public lobby session...

the jet griefers were replaced by a drone, thats it.

everything else is nothing but "real life" gta

You serious? Nah hell no, there's no way you're actually serious right?

• Like 1

1KgEL1o.png

Halal Cyborg

My love of cars loses the battle vs sh*tty acting/one dimensional characters and horrendous writing and I've never seen any of these horrendous movies.

Vin diesel is awful.

• Like 2

SuperJude™

I thought this multiple times while watching Furious 7 but that end sequence was straight out of any random Free Mode lobby and all credit due, James Wan crushed it.

Of course, side note, GTA IS based on other pre-existing themes and Los Angeles has certainly been the backdrop for many an action film, it was just the specifics (mini gun, helicopter troll, exploding cop cars) that were SO GTA ONLINE!

80's and 90's films did this already. Also does furious have this?

giphy.gif

:D

• Like 3

Yea there's a scene when Dom was chasing Jason Statham and it was at Rooftop Rumble bridge!

Furious 7 copy gta online confirmed!

• Like 1

Commander S

My only minor gripe is how the 'GTAOification' of the F&F movies basically comes at the expense of the 'import tuner street racing' side of things, although I get that it's in the interest of turning niche-interest trashy B-movies into mass-appeal 'all the bells and whistles' blockbusters that are far easier to justify the existence of.

In other words, all someone needs to do is a dramatisation of the rise and fall of the real-life Mid Night Club* (lordy, that'd end on a bleak note...), then that'd be that particular itch scratched. ;)

*which is part of why I do have a soft spot for Tokyo Drift - it's low-key, low-ambition and a pretty unremarkable movie in the grand scheme of things, but even the original movie is a thriller set around tuner culture, whereas Drift is about street racing. Heck, it's almost a modern update of '50s hot-rod/boy racer storylines, transplanted to Japan, and infused with a smattering of the essence of 'Initial D' - and that scene with Han (particularly before Furious 6 reworked the context of it) drives home the Mid Night Club parallels.

Are you high? If GTA5 heists would be anything like FF7, I would play them non-stop.

Yea there's a scene when Dom was chasing Jason Statham and it was at Rooftop Rumble bridge!

Furious 7 copy gta online confirmed!

Furious 7 DLC confirmed

Fast and furious 7 was really entertaining.

This series could be COMPLETLY wild but its not because its about family! Also stathem is a badass.

The end was really sad. A last goodbye to paul walker :(

"First a tank then a plane now a spaceship" - Tyrese gibson

Kingorion88

You serious? Nah hell no, there's no way you're actually serious right?

You serious? Nah hell no, there's no way you're actually serious right?why wouldnt he be serious? Those movies are straight garbage and this is the SEVENTH one. People who like this kind of junk boggle my mind. I mean, it was somewhat cool, albeit, atrociously acted in the first couple but now it resembles nothing of what it was and is just another micheal bay style crapfest. Edited by Kingorion88

SuperJude™

Could you IMAGINE the $$$ that could be made from a Furious 7 specific DLC pack?

Download F7 specific characters, cars and missions. $9.99 US

We'd all buy it...

I assume you are new to the Fast and Furious franchise... And by the way there is no such thing as "CGI planted O'Connor" as his Paul's brother played him for the last few minutes.

F8i4bRU.png

Commander S

I assume you are new to the Fast and Furious franchise... And by the way there is no such thing as "CGI planted O'Connor" as his Paul's brother played him for the last few minutes.

Both brothers, plus a couple of stunt doubles - hence why the 'rematch' with Tony Jaa took place in a dimly-lit building... ;)

I'm amazed at how much footage they actually had with Paul, though - the Azerbaijan chase, the Lykan bit (that was him - there was a great BTS comedy moment with him and Vin when filming the bit where Dom has to lift it), and even that last call to Mia before the GT-R sequence (although I get the impression that, judging by the way it was cut and the dialogue, it was filmed with a different intention, and Jordana Brewster's dialogue was done later to recontextualise it).

Most noticeable bits were any moments where Brian's dialogue started coming through the theatre speakers differently, or he'd be off-camera/in shadow/the back of his head visible - likewise any moment where people would talk to him or about him pointedly referring to his family responsibilities (because that appears to be the revised stuff after they decided to retire his character). Examples: the entire end sequence on the beach (obviously!), but also the scene in the plane going to Abu Dhabi, Mia talking to ...the back of his head while on the computer, and the bit back in LA overlooking the city - as soon as he goes out of shot, that's digitally processed (recycled?) audio.

Commander S

^ Between the 'tech macguffin' plot holding the action sequences together, a handful of decent, almost Bond-movie-esque villains (up to now, the series hasn't exactly had a great crop of antagonists), and the way the the revised plot about family/growing older/making peace with maturity grew out of the tragic circumstances of filming, I'd say this is probably the strongest, most cohesive plot out of all seven movies. Still not my favourite, (that'd be the original), but certainly it's the most 'slick, high-end blockbuster' of the entire series thus far.

KornbreadMaf1a

You should be forced to change avatars after that comment. Alonzo would not approve of that comment

Metal Slime

There are some glitching, griefers and modding in that film.

• Like 1

There are some glitching, griefers and modding in that film.

Hobbs is over lvl 120 unless he glitched his minigun in :)

• Like 2

They're still making those sh*t movies?!?!?!

Could you IMAGINE the $$$ that could be made from a Furious 7 specific DLC pack?

Download F7 specific characters, cars and missions. $9.99 US

We'd all buy it...

Wrong. Edited by dead goon
  • Like 2

Because we can afford it? Seriously though. No matter how bad the movie might be, if the price of admission is ever too much for your budget to handle, I would hope the quality of said movie is the least of your worries.

The car dom drives out of the plane during the bus heist reminds me of the dukes o death.

Edited by blk95ta