2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Free Roam Heists

redpoint

Be honest, in the build-up to GTA V being released, did you expect to be able to do heists in free roam, much like robbing a liquor store freely was you excited to be able to call up your crew and rob the jewelry store at will, with the randomness of free roam to make it exciting and different every time?

I at least expected to be able to do a heist in free roam once I'd completed the story version of it, like in San Andreas where you could complete burglaries freely once you did the home invasion mission.

I was let down that in a game that supposedly revolved around the big scores we weren't able to do them when we wanted, and were restricted to just a few missions.

If by "the randomness of free roam", you mean other players...then not a chance. The heists are a good fun challenge to do as a crew, but would be pointless / impossible to attempt them in free roam where other people would just sabotage your efforts.

I did think that it would be cool if you had a bit more freedom over how you approached the heist itself - but by being prescriptive then at least there is more differentiation between them.

If by "the randomness of free roam", you mean other players...then not a chance. The heists are a good fun challenge to do as a crew, but would be pointless / impossible to attempt them in free roam where other people would just sabotage your efforts.

I did think that it would be cool if you had a bit more freedom over how you approached the heist itself - but by being prescriptive then at least there is more differentiation between them.

Single Player section, I'm referring to story mode

Yes. I did expect. I'm still surprised by not being able to do more non-scripted heists offline. Hopefully, planned for DLC or just another no f*cks given to SP.

• Like 3

Be honest, in the build-up to GTA V being released, did you expect to be able to do heists in free roam, much like robbing a liquor store freely was you excited to be able to call up your crew and rob the jewelry store at will, with the randomness of free roam to make it exciting and different every time?

Yup...

Edited by Prince Gumball

I expected Singleplayer to be equal to online in terms of content and freedom of choice. I was dead wrong.

Edited by Cyper
  • Like 5

SmokesWithCigs

No because I knew from experience with GTA vice city you have to plan first and not just run up in a bank all willy nilly.

Going into a bank "willy nilly" would be fun. Heck, if you can go into a convenience store and then decide to rob the place, why not a bank? Just walk in and take your chances. Every heist shouldn't have a "movie cast" with specific roles. Just grab some money from the tellers and run!

• Like 2

Algonquin Assassin

I actually think it would be more fun to rob them randomly than to carefully plan every last detail. The story heists IMO are far too linear for this reason.

Taking a bold chance not knowing if you'd succeed or not would be a lot of fun and add so much to the criminality missing in single player.

• Like 8

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

DEERxBanshee

I expected it until more and more details came out for single player leading up to the release of the game. Wish you could do it. Single player would be a lot more fun and heists would be different every time. It'd be cool if it were like this in online too or at least make it like robbing convenience stores.

L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV

At least those small Fleeca Banks, with a four stars wanted level after robbing them to scape.

• Like 3

WorldWideFM

It would make absolutely no sense if you spent all your time planning these heists in-story when you could just walk into a bank in free roam and rob it with no planning, and come out with all that cash. GTA has long had a problem with the narrative not lining up with the sandbox gameplay. They shouldn't do anything that's going to make it worse in my opinion. I can understand the argument, certainly I think the heists that you did plan should've been less linear (as much as I loved most of them) and should've rewarded the player more for innovation.

In fact, that's really where the GTA series needs to go next; they build these wonderful free worlds where you can do whatever you want and that's changed the face of gaming forever since GTA III. But in 2008, 2009, 2013 - we still have games where, whilst you're on a mission you're guided down a path that the creators want you to use and the inventiveness of the player isn't rewarded, in fact, its punished. It's kind of at odds with the principles the game is formed on. But there still needs to be some continuity between the character's motivations and the actions you take in free roam, which is why I think the focus needs to be on opening up the story to the point where the player really crafts the experience with their actions, rather than slotting things into free roam which make little sense for the characters to be doing and will still usually play out the same way regardless.

Edited by WorldWideFM
  • Like 3

@WorldWideFM Yeah I agree, but they could make it work if they wanted to, perhaps all the planning is because you're learning the trade, and Lester says something at the end like 'when you've planned out every heist you can reap the rewards again and again'.

But you couldn't have said it better, free roam has been poor and does not reward imagination lately.

At least those small Fleeca Banks, with a four stars wanted level after robbing them to scape.

This I wanted to rob all the branches of the Bank of Liberty, Maze bank, and Fleeca banks

• Like 2

I honestly thought they would make San Andreas a whole open playground. If we wanted to rob a bank, we could call up the other two protagonists and another guy and go on a heist.

• Like 2

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

after Heist 1 and how Michael told Franklin he could maybe plan his own heists in the future, and some of the other hints about crew members and heists...

...that was 100% my impression

I also must have checked the Fleeca banks a 100 times by the time I beat the game the first time (went slow and took about 110 hours)...

I also had never read a single preview... and never read a single FAQ, guide, never read any reviews... went into the game and beat it completely blind

so I kept checking and looking hopefully to find something about free roam heists but it just never happen haha :cry::D

Erm it would not make any sense IMO to just go into a bank without a mask, a plan or anything and just ''rob'' it, it is impossible and very VERY unrealistic. If you mean it as side missions, maybe then it could work. But as freeroam stuff you can do whenever you want? No.

A heist always needs a planning, you can't just go into a bank as John Mclane with a 9mm and rob the bank. Hasn't anyone here seen a damn heist movie?

• Like 2

Erm it would not make any sense IMO to just go into a bank without a mask, a plan or anything and just ''rob'' it, it is impossible and very VERY unrealistic. If you mean it as side missions, maybe then it could work. But as freeroam stuff you can do whenever you want? No.

A heist always needs a planning, you can't just go into a bank as John Mclane with a 9mm and rob the bank. Hasn't anyone here seen a damn heist movie?

Realism? Don't you look at the news bruh? Criminals these days don't go through all that planning they just hand over a note

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/maryland-police-bank-robber-article-1.2062421

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/10/man-robs-glen-burnie-bank-with-demand-note-impying-he-was-armed-108227.html

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/police-search-for-northeast-d.c.-bank-robber/article/2511430

Edited by Zello
  • Like 2

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

i think everyone the general impression and intention is both free roam AND planning... as in, at any point, you can start a plan for a new heist and begin to execute that plan

not just like cashier hold ups but free roam versions of the heists

• Like 1

Then wouldn't it be more realistic to just allow the inevitable outcome? What I mean is if you want, you can just walk into an actual bank with/without a mask and a gun. That sh*t is up to you. What happens next is just as real as if you planned it out perfectly. If you want to rob a bank in a stupid way, it would be just like anything else in the game. There are clever ways and stupid ways to do almost everything in GTA. That's part of what makes freedom so fun in GTA.

I agree it would probably work best as a type of side mission. Not a big difference though, since the OP is just talking about doing them anytime you want.

One way would be calling up crew members and you select on the phone what the call is about. You pick "heist", but for that option to appear under their contact, you would have to go to the bank first and do your homework. Or you could call Lester and save yourself some time, but he would get a cut. You get a list of what you need. For example, if you need a driver, all your driver contacts would have the "heist" option under their name, and you pick the one you want. Once you get your crew together, it would be just like any other heist in the story. Get your masks, guns, vehicles and whatever else, and it's basically just a heist mission, except you initiated it and you can do it again whenever.

Edited by BlackNoise

Algonquin Assassin

Erm it would not make any sense IMO to just go into a bank without a mask, a plan or anything and just ''rob'' it, it is impossible and very VERY unrealistic.

In a game where you can eat peyote plants and turn into cows, dogs, cats etc and smoke weed to fight off imaginary aliens and clowns is it really that impossible and un-realistic compared to a host of other stupidly impossible and un-realistic things it already has?

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

John McClane wouldn't do that seeing as he's a cop....but I agree with what you're saying.

I like the setup of the heists, makes it more believable and realistic. I'd LOVE to do a heist and it's setups similar to Oceans 11.

Erm it would not make any sense IMO to just go into a bank without a mask, a plan or anything and just ''rob'' it, it is impossible and very VERY unrealistic.

In a game where you can eat peyote plants and turn into cows, dogs, cats etc and smoke weed to fight off imaginary aliens and clowns is it really that impossible and un-realistic compared to a host of other stupidly impossible and un-realistic things it already has?

I am talking about future GTA's, GTA V is thrown out to the water man. I mean if heists ever happen again.

Realism? Don't you look at the news bruh? Criminals these days don't go through all that planning they just hand over a note

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/maryland-police-bank-robber-article-1.2062421

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/10/man-robs-glen-burnie-bank-with-demand-note-impying-he-was-armed-108227.html

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/police-search-for-northeast-d.c.-bank-robber/article/2511430

And your point being? GTA games is about good criminals not amateur bitches who think they are badass and then get arrested. GTA protagonists have the power to comeback to life and not get a life sentace for murdering over 500 people if you are busted. GTA's focus now is realism and fun, going into a bank without anything, well I don't know if anyone thinks that is fun but everyone has their opinion. I just think that planning is better and more fun/realistic.

Then wouldn't it be more realistic to just allow the inevitable outcome? What I mean is if you want, you can just walk into an actual bank with/without a mask and a gun. That sh*t is up to you. What happens next is just as real as if you planned it out perfectly. If you want to rob a bank in a stupid way, it would be just like anything else in the game. There are clever ways and stupid ways to do almost everything in GTA. That's part of what makes freedom so fun in GTA.

I agree it would probably work best as a type of side mission. Not a big difference though, since the OP is just talking about doing them anytime you want.

One way would be calling up crew members and you select on the phone what the call is about. You pick "heist", but for that option to appear under their contact, you would have to go to the bank first and do your homework. Or you could call Lester and save yourself some time, but he would get a cut. You get a list of what you need. For example, if you need a driver, all your driver contacts would have the "heist" option under their name, and you pick the one you want. Once you get your crew together, it would be just like any other heist in the story. Get your masks, guns, vehicles and whatever else, and it's basically just a heist mission, except you initiated it and you can do it again whenever.

I agree with you actually, you are right.

It would make absolutely no sense if you spent all your time planning these heists in-story when you could just walk into a bank in free roam and rob it with no planning, and come out with all that cash.

Well, I'd still like to see it, with limits. I wasn't implying major heists. You're not going to get millions by having a teller throw some money in a sack. If security acted quickly enough they could put a damper on things, or maybe even some civ with a gun and a hero complex. I see it more as an "I'll take a chance here and see if I can get anything" approach. Like the convenient stores - you take what they toss over the counter and that's it.

SmokesWithCigs

Erm it would not make any sense IMO to just go into a bank without a mask, a plan or anything and just ''rob'' it, it is impossible and very VERY unrealistic. If you mean it as side missions, maybe then it could work. But as freeroam stuff you can do whenever you want?

That's true but in north Carolina some dudes from Florida robbed an armored car filled with gold. That took planning they had to have had somebody on the inside who new the truck route. This happened a couple of months ago. I think you guys need to ditch the need for realism In video games and just suspend disbelief. This game would be boring if all you had to do was hand the teller a note. GTA video games are movies not real life. Its an action adventure game not a simulator. Do you know how much sh*t they do in action movies they could never pull of in real life? Edited by SmokesWithCigs

SmokesWithCigs

I have an idea for immersion In free roam. OK hear me out. When you do an investment after an assassination you don't have to do the sleep save trick to raise your percentages you can just let it grow on its own in game time am I correct? Say you dump all your money in stocks with all three characters leaving all three nearly broke. Well then you can put on a mask and go on a robbing spree hitting up armored cars and stores until your stock reaches its peak. Does that sound like a good idea. I'm about to try this with the redwood assassination. I've already done blitz play so I have mask.

Edited by SmokesWithCigs

Fuzzknuckles

No, I didn't expect it at all. The heists are complex missions that require scripting of specific events - cut scenes are also needed to give them some impact. There's no way these could be free-roam.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

No, I didn't expect it at all. The heists are complex missions that require scripting of specific events - cut scenes are also needed to give them some impact. There's no way these could be free-roam.

I know right sometimes GTA fans imaginations just make no sense.