4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

PC Newbie. Please help

utb1528

Please help.

I am a complete PC newb.

I am thinking about joining the master race.

What commercial available gaming rig would be most economically viable to play GTA Online at high settings? Not super duper, but well. Also what accessories would I need? I plan to use an x-box 360 type controller on day one and slowly transition to a keyboard and mouse set up. Headphone and mike?

Sorry about the basic question.

Thank you. :)

lastmanonearth

To even think about buying the kind of PC that can run GTA V he`ll have to be fairly well off to start with. The going rate is $4k for 4k = a dollar a pixel.

I recommend you build one from this list.

You can choose one that's in your price range, I recommend the The Next-Gen Crusher or The Next-Gen Exterminator.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. :)

Newbie question again, but 4k is an insanely cool monitor/graphics card?

If so I would perfectly happy with one level below that.

Price range?

Thanks again.

Thanks guys. :)

Newbie question again, but 4k is an insanely cool monitor/graphics card?

If so I would perfectly happy with one level below that.

Price range?

Thanks again.

4k is a resolution, like 1080p, 720p, etc.

It's not needed at all, it's extremely expensive.

I recommend checking out that list, and figuring out what's in your price range.

lastmanonearth

I recommend you don`t build it if you`re a newb like me. That`s the worst advice you could give a noob. I tried building a rig once and messed it up and no one was able to help me, no one knew what was wrong and I ended up throwing away hundreds of dollars on a pile of useless, incompatible parts. Didn`t know what`s wrong with which part and the warranty stops working if you mess with the parts, what horror. Buy a nice, not too extreme PC with a WARRANTY so you`ll be safe.

LankanComrade

Your best starting point would be YouTube, check out some videos about building custom gaming rigs. Depending on your needs and associated hardware you could be looking at anywhere between a budget $600 rig to extreme $2500+ rigs. Get your self educated on the different hardware components and then seek advice from YT channels. :)

• Like 2

just like bored_killed said, buy a pc with a warranty to be safe. take a look at pcpartpicker site, there u can choose and build your pc with compatible components.

• Like 1

I recommend you do build it. However do your research and watch videos on how to build it first. Being a PC enthusiast isn't just about the games, building the PC's and keeping them maintained or upgrading them is insanely satisfying.

I recommend you don`t build it if you`re a newb like me. That`s the worst advice you could give a noob. I tried building a rig once and messed it up and no one was able to help me, no one knew what was wrong and I ended up throwing away hundreds of dollars on a pile of useless, incompatible parts. Didn`t know what`s wrong with which part and the warranty stops working if you mess with the parts, what horror. Buy a nice, not too extreme PC with a WARRANTY so you`ll be safe.

Anyone with a little common sense and YouTube tutorial can build a computer.

My 13 year old cousin built his own PC from a YouTube video, so it can't be that difficult.

• Like 2

Maybe less than 1000 USD with:

Monitor

Headphone and mic

Keyboard and mouse

and

controller similar to xbox 360

Thanks again for the friendly replies. :)

Oh BTW I have many friends who could actually build the PC.

Edited by utb1528

Deuce Deuce

You don't need to break the bank in order to get something decent. I would start with something like an i5 4670 and a GTX 660 onwards. Decent motherboard, RAM, all the rest of it and you should be good to go. Don't buy pre-built rigs as you will be spending a lot more - that said, there are companies that will build your rig for you for a fee (after you've selected your parts). Same goes for peripherals like headsets; you can get something half-decent for around £30 / $50.

Do not buy a prebuilt. Way too expensive.

n sh*tty too, my bro's got a dell studio express or sth the case looks really good but hes i7 920 is stuck at 1.5 v and idles at around 68-70 lol, gpu that came with it died a while back too. My built is still going strong with no problems wutsoever just needa upgade my gpu.

• Like 1

Maybe less than 1000 USD with:

Monitor

Headphone and mic

Keyboard and mouse

and

controller similar to xbox 360

Thanks again for the friendly replies. :)

If you own a TV that has an HDMI in then you don't need a new monitor.

I recommend;

The Next-Gen Exterminator build ($656.87)

Asus VE228H 21.5" 1080p Monitor ($134.99) (Not needed if you have a TV already.)

Logitech G430 Headset ($61.99)

Red Dragon Keyboard & Mouse ($27.88)

Total: $881.73

You can use the extra $119.27 to get a better keyboard and mouse, monitor, or just save the money for more games.

Edited by UtopiaRTS

lastmanonearth

My 13 year old cousin built his own PC from a YouTube video, so it can't be that difficult.

I was getting into too many fights at 13, so I guess all those punches to the head knocked the wits out of me then.

TBH I bought parts that I wanted and not the ones they used in YouTube videos, so when things went pearshaped I was on my own. To each his own, but when it comes to expensive sh*t like PCs I play it safe rather than sorry now.

Sorry I also don`t believe what your 13 year old cousin told you. What kind of parent would let their kids play with electricity alone, it`s absurd. And you bought it!

If you own a TV that has an HDMI in then you don't need a new monitor.

No need to bother with expensive graphics that run 4k unless you have a 4k TV. Just get a PC that runs normal 1080p if that`s the kind of regular HD TV that you have, but then might as well buy a PS4.

Edited by bored_killed

I was getting into too many fights at 13, so I guess all those punches to the head knocked the wits out of me then.

TBH I bought parts that I wanted and not the ones they used in YouTube videos, so when things went pearshaped I was on my own. To each his own, but when it comes to expensive sh*t like PCs I play it safe rather than sorry now.

Sorry I also don`t believe what your 13 year old cousin told you. What kind of parent would let their kids play with electricity alone, it`s absurd. And you bought it!

I built my first PC at 13. It wasn't rocket science. You can use PCpartpicker to make a build and it will tell you straight up if there is anything wrong with the parts. There is also many other forumers on here and on other more PC orientated forums that'd be more than happy to help you out.

Honestly it's pretty damn easy, you just need to watch a youtube video or "bleurgh" use the manuals but most "throw" them away.

• Like 1

lastmanonearth

I built my first PC at 13. It wasn't rocket science. You can use PCpartpicker to make a build and it will tell you straight up if there is anything wrong with the parts. There is also many other forumers on here and on other more PC orientated forums that'd be more than happy to help you out.

Honestly it's pretty damn easy, you just need to watch a youtube video or "bleurgh" use the manuals but most "throw" them away.

Why didn`t you say that at first? That YOU built a PC at 13, instead you started with a story about your cousin. Not that I don`t believe you, I don`t know what kind of family you live in but I was never allowed to mess around with electrical stuff around that age. I guess it didn`t help make me the "great" technician that I am today! *cough cough*

Why didn`t you say that at first? That YOU built a PC at 13, instead you started with a story about your cousin. Not that I don`t believe you, I don`t know what kind of family you live in but I was never allowed to mess around with electrical stuff around that age. I guess it didn`t help make me the "great" technician that I am today! *cough cough*

Two different people...it appears that you also have trouble reading.

• Like 2

Don't just go buy some parts you like. Do some research about the parts you want to buy.

Post them here so we can take a look

• Like 2

If you are a rich guy, then you should probably go for a prebuilt system.

Otherwise; You simply search on the web or directory for any local computer expert who can get you an assembled gaming PC based on the what your budget would allow.

Don't waste the time watching YouTube vids and such to make your own rig. It only helps when you have basic knowledge and are updated in some way about the electronics, prices and such.

Also, forget about 4K bullsh*t and all. Its waste of money at this stage.

Nowadays, building a gaming PC is a bit more complex stuff and requires some basic research than during the days of Windows XP.

Right now, you should be aiming to build a decent PC ( forget about ultra high settings too ) only!

So how should you do it?

The best, safe and easiest way is to get your gaming PC by contacting a reliable expert who knows how to assemble at the best possible price depending on your requirements. Search in your locality. Its easy. Either google it ir contact your friends/relatives aware of someone dealing into computers.

Then just detail him about the game GTA V and its system requirements.

Rest depends how much you want to spend and what you are targeting so that you can play the game in best resolution and performance.

Like people said build your own PC.

It might sounds scary if you're a newbie but it's not ! Watch videos on youtube showing you how to do it like on "LinusTechTips" Channel they'll show you step by step how to build your own PC.

The most "difficult" part is probably to choose what you want because it depends on how much money you want to spend and because you cannot buy anything you want, they have to be compatible together.

But i'm sure you can ask people in here if you tell us how much you want to spend on it, we can tell you what you can get !

Buying a prebuilt is easier but it's more expensive, you can add an extra 500$ for the same price if you build it yourself.

Various good pieces of advice. What I would add is not what to buy but when. If you are aiming for a mid end rig then I would wait a couple of weeks to see what kind of performance people are getting out of the game for different specs. It may be V will run better on specific components than others that are technically superior and more expensive. When IV first came out it loved my old 8800GT, more so than the newer NVidia and AMD cards, if what I read from other users was representative.

If you were aiming for a top end rig it will make less difference.

Edited by Jimbatron

MajorVienna

Get a modern cpu, last year's or newer, 2x8gb of ram, and I'd say you'll be happier having got a 4gb video card (eg not the gtx 970) over a 2gb one.

No official word on whether controllers will work fully, I have an xb1 controller for windows & there are numerous things that don't work/register from one game to another. Triggers do not register at all. Controller programs pickup all the inputs so it's definitely not broken and I have the official drivers, so it's just a sad issue that's microsoft's fault. In other words, wait before buying a controller.

Don't forget you need 64bit windows. You will get windows 7 of course.

Edited by MajorVienna

I'd say you'll be happier having got a 4gb video card (eg not the gtx 970) over a 2gb one.

The GTX 970 is technically still a 4GB graphics card...

A'ight. It all depends on budget.

1. For starters, CPU hasn't evolved significantly since Nehalem, the first generation i7's, which dates back to 2009. If you're on a tight budget, consider going for an at most 3 years old Intel CPU, or go AMD. A simple modest i5 2400 will suffice for modern gaming.

2. If you're going AMD, I'd suggest going FM2+. AM3+ hasn't been updated since like Piledriver, which is 2013. It's a dying family. FM2+ is still being developed on so if you're planning on an upgrade, go with FM2+. It'll open upgrade paths as time goes on.

3. GPU. This is tricky. I assume your "well" standards are 1080p at a rock solid 30 FPS. In that case a GTX 750 Ti will suffice. If you're aiming for 60 FPS, though, you'll need at least an R9 280, or a GTX 960 (I'd recommend the 280 if you're okay with the more power consumption and heat).

4. I assume you already have a TV, so use that instead since you're about to play using an Xbox 360 controller, again, I assume wirelessly.

5. You don't need a high-end flashy motherboard. People who are new to building PC's better off without OC, so you don't need some fancy Z series chipset (or A88 / 990FX if you're going AMD).

6. Keyboard and Mouse. It's subjective. I'm still happy with a membrane keyboard, but serious gamers might want to go mechanical keyboards with N-key rollover.

7. You're not gonna use the IGP if you're gonna use a discrete GPU (see point 3). So in that case, you shouldn't some fancy expensive RAM like Corsair Dominator or Vengeance series. Some cheap RAM from Kingston or Crucial will suffice.

8. Power Supply (PSU). If you're going for Intel+NVIDIA, you shouldn't need more than 300W, especially with Maxwell (GTX 750 series and GTX 900 series) and Haswell CPUs from Intel.

9. HDD. A cheap 1TB HDD will probably cost $30-40 depending on rotation speed, seek time, and brand.

That's pretty much it. Good luck on the build.

Go to www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

Read up on stuff there, look at builds at your price range, and get some inspiration.

Seeing how you know people who can build it for you, buying parts would be a much better option.

Here's what I recommend:

An I5 4460 cpu

A H97 motherboard

8gb of ram, 1600mhz is enough.

An r9 290 graphics card ( make sure you get one with a good cooler, like sapphire's tri x)

A $50-70 ATX case (maybe an nzxt s340, but choose what you like the look of)

A good quality 750w power supply (do some research on this, and don't cheap out as the power supply is very important. Evga have good power supplies at the $70+ price range.

A 250gb ssd (crucial mx 100) (you'll want this for games like gta v)

1tb hard disc drive, seagate or western digital are both good.

Windows 8.1

A decent optical sensor mouse

Use whatever keyboard you have for now

An Xbox 360 wireless controller adapter if you already have a wireless 360 controller

A 1080p IPS monitor, or use your current tv.

This should be around $1000, enough for 1080p maxed out for next 2 years at least.

Edited by Arya35