2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Steam - 2 copies? // For Modding?

Josheh

Hey guys, Just curious. I'm unsure if I want to buy the game through steam or retail. There's 2 reasons stopping me..

1. Download size (Not such a big deal as I can pre download it right now)

2. Modding...

My biggest problem is modding, If I buy the game on steam, how will I be able too mod the single player? it'll interfere with the online elements... I don't really feel like downloading the game twice (legit through steam and then "illegally".. Just to have one for single player..

Are you able to install the same steam game twice in different locations or something? How do people deal with this ? I'm considering just buying the retail package so I can install it twice on the same machine, one called GTA V - Modding and GTA V - Online and use one install just for online and the other for single player... thoughts?

Crocodile Hunter

I usually install it (ex: GTA IV) once then have a clean copy on an external, that way I can easily drag it into my computer for a clean install, which is much faster than reinstalling.

Edited by Alaannnn
  • Like 2

If you try to launch GTA V on Steam, it gives you an option to launch GTA Online, or GTA V single-player.

I'm guessing that there will be two directories of the same fashion that will split the files based on online vs offline.

Meaning you can easily tell which files you are 'allowed' to edit without risking a ban.

In the recent interviews when asked about modding Rockstar stated that they wanted to keep online mod free more or less, they said nothing about single-player, likely meaning it has no mod protection.

I think single-player will be fully mod-able, and that Rockstar has made an attempt to keep them separate in hopes that it will satisfy everyone.

Crocodile Hunter

If you try to launch GTA V on Steam, it gives you an option to launch GTA Online, or GTA V single-player.

I'm guessing that there will be two directories of the same fashion that will split the files based on online vs offline.

Meaning you can easily tell which files you are 'allowed' to edit without risking a ban.

In the recent interviews when asked about modding Rockstar stated that they wanted to keep online mod free more or less, they said nothing about single-player, likely meaning it has no mod protection.

I think single-player will be fully mod-able, and that Rockstar has made an attempt to keep them separate in hopes that it will satisfy everyone.

It'll be the same directory, the GTA Online button is only a shortcut that bypasses singeplayer

And about that is really weird on PS4 version you can only play online after you finished the prologue.

There is no need to play the prologue on pc to play online?

It'll be the same directory, the GTA Online button is only a shortcut that bypasses singeplayer

They could still technically have the files mixed into two different directories.

Rizaki Koizumi

They could still technically have the files mixed into two different directories.

They could, actually. Data that truely alters how the game mechanics are handled (eg. handling.dat) could be segregated for single player and online. The online data will be protected and be unmoddable, while the single player will be easily moddable. This don't have to be applied to the game mechanics or what have you. It can also be applied to actual models and textures, like vehicles. Tbh I don't think Rockstar did this and if they did, I think the game would be more than 65GB.

At best what'll happen is GTA V will detect that game files are modded and will block online play to protect from potential cheaters.

Edited by Rizaki Koizumi
  • Like 2

They could, actually. Data that truely alters how the game mechanics are handled (eg. handling.dat) could be segregated for single player and online. The online data will be protected and be unmoddable, while the single player will be easily moddable. This don't have to be applied to the game mechanics or what have you. It can also be applied to actual models and textures, like vehicles. Tbh I don't think Rockstar did this and if they did, I think the game would be more than 65GB.

We can dream.

• Like 1

Hey guys, Just curious. I'm unsure if I want to buy the game through steam or retail. There's 2 reasons stopping me..

1. Download size (Not such a big deal as I can pre download it right now)

2. Modding...

My biggest problem is modding, If I buy the game on steam, how will I be able too mod the single player? it'll interfere with the online elements... I don't really feel like downloading the game twice (legit through steam and then "illegally".. Just to have one for single player..

Are you able to install the same steam game twice in different locations or something? How do people deal with this ? I'm considering just buying the retail package so I can install it twice on the same machine, one called GTA V - Modding and GTA V - Online and use one install just for online and the other for single player... thoughts?

i have had lots of problems with iv modding steam, but traditional dvd rom was better. but now its irrelevant im going to guess (if someone here can verify game contents between the r star warehouse and steam) that they are both the same file structures so.. now it does not matter which one. just if your a collector or dont have a data cap on your internet.. also did i mention retail dvd is not required to play the game. so yeah..

Edited by DrGta

The simplest solution would be to copy the game to another directory completely, and use that for modding without touching the Online mode. The unmodded copy can be the online-play copy, that's what I plan on doing.

The simplest solution would be to copy the game to another directory completely, and use that for modding without touching the Online mode. The unmodded copy can be the online-play copy, that's what I plan on doing.

how it can even work

that you need 2 games copies one for modding and vanilla online/sp

because R still not support pc modding officialy(nothing has changed since gta4)

Edited by Antaxi

Crocodile Hunter

how it can even work

because R still not support pc modding officialy(nothing has changed since gta4)

You dont have to buy it twice, just copy+paste your game

Steam is very handy OP.

You can move the full folder to a different hard drive and still launch the game.

For GTA IV, any and all files/directories that were going to be modded, I made a second copy on the same hard drive, then if something f*cked up or I wanted to return the game to vanilla, I'd just delete and copy back into the correct location etc.

Launching 2 different versions would be done in a similar fashion.

• Like 2

how it can even work

You dont have to buy it twice, just copy+paste your game

and it will be work(registry?)

i always had one clean gta4 for backups

WTF you buy the game from steam and then take it out of the steam directories just like you would with any game you mod that you buy on steam. I have instructions for how to do it for skyrim so its all the same just using GTA not skyrim.

Also why wouldnt you just dupe the game rather than DL the whole game again?

Here is the how to for skyrim as an idea

I'd suggest waiting until an experienced programmer can determine whether or not a "launcher" can be made. You know, turn mods on/off.

Snowman_GTA

So if you're planning to play Grand Theft Auto V for both Online with no mods and offline with mods,you gonna have at least 130GB for you HDD storage? Damn that's huge man.

Edited by Snowman_GTA

Crocodile Hunter

I'd suggest waiting until an experienced programmer can determine whether or not a "launcher" can be made. You know, turn mods on/off.

I don't think that's possible since most mods replace the original files, unless it creates a clean copy of whatever you modify and runs that instead of the modded one.