2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Driving Down Under

Cudwieser

Just got home from a family trip to Australia and had a sweet time, especially the jaunts along the highways (as a passenger). Two things struck me about the roads in Oz. Firstly, On the motorways you are allowed to overtake a slower driver while traveling in the inside lane (undertake) provided you aren't going out of your way to do it. It struck me as to why such provision isn't made for UK Motorways. Also are there any other countries where this is allowed?

Secondly (the sting) one thing horrified me when walking the streets of Melbourne. I tried to search google for answers and understood nothing, so I come here. Can any Aussies please explain in the simplest terms WTF IS A HOOK TURN AND WHAT THE f*ck IS THE POINT?

Once clarity is gained please can we discuss why such a thing is daft compared with comparable rules in other countries.

Finally can you all share some of the bizarre and possibly contradictory motoring laws you must abide by.

On the motorways you are allowed to overtake a slower driver while traveling in the inside lane (undertake) provided you aren't going out of your way to do it. It struck me as to why such provision isn't made for UK Motorways. Also are there any other countries where this is allowed?

Its allowed legally in america on 1 lane (each way) if the dividing line is a dashed yellow line. I use it all the time :cool:

Other non legal ways include shoulder and centre lane passing

the f*cked up turns in Melbourne are because of the trams. you have to get into the left lane to turn right sometimes because otherwise a tram will collect you and f*ck your sh*t up.

WbZaxRP.png

In Canada and the US, if the yellow line is dotted, you can pass if traffic allows you to.

On a solid line you may not pass.

If on a double line road, The side that is dotted is the side that is allowed to pass.

You're allowed to pass slower moving traffic in the inside lane in the UK if you don't move lanes specifically to do it. So if you pass someone doing 65 in the middle lane at 70 whilst staying in the left lane it's perfectly legal.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

You're allowed to pass slower moving traffic in the inside lane in the UK if you don't move lanes specifically to do it. So if you pass someone doing 65 in the middle lane at 70 whilst staying in the left lane it's perfectly legal.

One reason to learn the Highway Code. If what you're saying is true (not saying it isn't) and it probably is, then the general explanations are a bit inaccurate as I was always told it was illegal. I can understand not changing lanes specifically to do it as it can lead to some pretty reckless stupidity, but it is never specified in any theory test (something that should cover motorways as well as the roads you'll be on for the first year).

the f*cked up turns in Melbourne are because of the trams. you have to get into the left lane to turn right sometimes because otherwise a tram will collect you and f*ck your sh*t up.

Just so I know and please correct me, to do a hook turn you enter a junction where a tram also operates and pull into the left lane (most of the major city streets are dual lane) and wait for a tram to pass. This effectively holds up the left lane (unless you leave enough space for someone to sneak left) and leaves the right lane to either continue forward through the junction or wait behind the stop line to turn right.

Once the tram has passed the driver doing the hook turn can proceed with caution and proper indication.

Is this accurate?

Also (just an opinion) if the tram operates between two two sets of dual lanes with cars stopping before a junction (like the rest of the world) then why not just signal trams, cars and pedestrians in order and save effectively putting a car in a bad place for the sake off whatever.

Finally, how does Manchester and Dublin handle trams, if anyone familiar with said locations can help. :)

I am not sure this is legal, I have only heard of using the inside lane to overtake in congested areas:

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

https://www.gov.uk/motorways-253-to-273/overtaking-267-to-269

I was under the impression the tight overtaking restrictions are the reason for the police being given more power to penalise people for lane-hogging.

Edited by epoxi

9H7Sj34.jpg

You aren't technically overtaking if you remain in your lane. Overtaking on dual carriageways and motorways requires a chance of lane.

The highway code is deliberately unclear on the legitimacy of remaining in lane to pass slower moving traffic on your right, but it isn't actually classed as inside overtaking unless you move lanes to do it. Actually, overtaking on the left isn't explicitly illegal but could be construed as careless driving. However there are some circumstances where it is simply safer than the alternatives.

Think about it this way- you're in the left hand lane of a 2-lane dual carriageway doing 70. There's a car ahead, driven by Doris on her way to bingo, in the right-hand lane doing 55. Do you have to match her speed and just wait there in the hope she notices you, moves into the left-hand lane and let's you pass on the right (which inhibits the proper flow of the motorway) or should you just continue at your existing speed in your existing lane?

I would argue that "congested conditions" could also include individuals slowing traffic flow by driving in the middle or right-hand lane below the speed limit. Especially if there's a queue of other morons doing exactly the same behind.

The theory test doesn't ask whether the highway code permits passing traffic on the left, but does ask whether overtaking on the inside is permissible. The answer to the latter us "no", the answer to the former isn't explicit in the highway code and depends largely on circumstance.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

I think its the "2 lanes of traffic moving at different speeds" issue.

If you are in a row of traffic in the left lane (UK slow lane) and the row of traffic in the right lane (fast lane) is moving slower, its ok to pass. Otherwise its frowned upon. Usually applies to slow moving traffic, congestion, roadworks ect.

PhillBellic

Just got home from a family trip to Australia and had a sweet time, especially the jaunts along the highways (as a passenger). Two things struck me about the roads in Oz. Firstly, On the motorways you are allowed to overtake a slower driver while traveling in the inside lane (undertake) provided you aren't going out of your way to do it. It struck me as to why such provision isn't made for UK Motorways. Also are there any other countries where this is allowed?

Secondly (the sting) one thing horrified me when walking the streets of Melbourne. I tried to search google for answers and understood nothing, so I come here. Can any Aussies please explain in the simplest terms WTF IS A HOOK TURN AND WHAT THE f*ck IS THE POINT?

Once clarity is gained please can we discuss why such a thing is daft compared with comparable rules in other countries.

Finally can you all share some of the bizarre and possibly contradictory motoring laws you must abide by.

This is a hook turn.

HookTurn.jpg

It's usually used to give trams a clear run, and more space to move, if I recall.