1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

The gas mask should negate tear gas effects. (Petition thread)

ChineseCosmo

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should gas masks make the wearer immune to tear gas?

• Yes, & should only be usable without bulletproof helmets.
    • Yes, & should stack with bulletproof helmets.
    • No, only bulletproof helmets should.
    • No, all cosmetic items should be cosmetic only.

With bulletproof helmets we already have a cosmetic item that provides the user a mechanical advantage (reduced head shot damage). Given the inherent importance of bullets in the world of GTA:O, the value of these helmets alone is astronomically high (given their functionality in free roam, deathmatches, & missions). Why then, doesn't the gas mask work against tear gas?

Tear gas is already a rarely-used, niche item. One could argue that if the gas mask worked then everyone would wear the gas mask as such no one would use tear gas. However if players are themselves wearing the mask they would be more likely to use gas grenades due to the the advantage they would have in that particular playing field.

The elephant in the room of course is the use of both gas masks and BP helmets at the same time. Use of mask & helmet glitches are extremely popular (because let's be honest here, many combos look pretty cool). I expect at a certain point R* will put together some way to easily combine certain masks & helmets/hats– provided there's no problem with the items clipping into eachother. Question is, should the combination of BPH&GM be allowed. Is it over powered? Is it even all that stronger than BPH's alone?

Plz. Discuss.

do you actually wear those sh*tty helmets to lower the headshot damage? If you do then Im sorry but youre an idiot You still die its just .04 of a second slower -.-.

OT.
petitions are a waste of time so no

• Like 1

Does anyone even use Tear Gas anyway?

This. Me and my friends only throw all of them at once to just cover an area when someone's doing something. Or we'll just throw them randomly out of a car, like the Flare Gun.

Tear gas prevents auto aim

Tear gas cant melt steel gas mask filters

Edited by CrysisAverted
  • Like 2

They are effective if used right. Especially on cops. If you're on foot running from the cops try going down an alley and tossing them behind you. It helps.

Works on players that tend to camp too

OT: I support using them both at the same time. There's really no reason not too be able to.

Edited by UnbrokenChainz
  • Like 1

They are effective if used right. Especially on cops. If you're on foot running from the cops try going down an alley and tossing them behind you. It helps.

Works on players that tend to camp too

OT: I support using them both at the same time. There's really no reason not too be able to.

Effective maybe but rarely used. However "one could argue that if the gas mask worked then everyone would wear the gas mask as such no one would use tear gas. However if players are themselves wearing the mask they would be more likely to use gas grenades due to the the advantage they would have in that particular playing field."

• Like 1

Sometimes I do.

Not only can tear gas create a decent smoke screen, but it can also be used to keep people away since it has a fairly lethal effect.

Not completely protect, as the eyes aren't covered. But it should definitely reduce the damage.

Edit: thinking of rebreathers.

Edited by God-eater

I think the bulletproof helmet is f***ing stupid. Ruined death-matches when they added it. You're basically forced to wear this special ed helmet if you want to win fights. I generally do death-matches without it anyway and put myself at a disadvantage.. but if I do wear it, I'm invincible... so stupid.

I'm fine with gas masks negating the effect of tear gas, only because nobody wears/uses either so who cares? Wouldn't change anything really. There really needs to be a true smoke grenade added to the game. The tear gas barely has a smokescreen effect.

Edited by Nick930930

I thought it did. Was battling some cops the other day and the NOOSE eventually starts lobbing tear gas so I put my gas mask on. Didn't pay attention to see if it was effective or not.

• Like 1

I thought it did. Was battling some cops the other day and the NOOSE eventually starts lobbing tear gas so I put my gas mask on. Didn't pay attention to see if it was effective or not.

Nope.

Tear gas cant melt steel gas mask filters

See I've heard this before, and I swear it doesn't. Is there any visual evidence of this?

See I've heard this before, and I swear it doesn't. Is there any visual evidence of this?It does. Try it for yourself. Edited by LightningLord411

I think the bulletproof helmet is f***ing stupid. Ruined death-matches when they added it. You're basically forced to wear this special ed helmet if you want to win fights. I generally do death-matches without it anyway and put myself at a disadvantage.. but if I do wear it, I'm invincible... so stupid.

I don't really disagree about the obnoxiousness of how it looks or that people feel obligated to wear it. But I don't think it's actually that effective. Face shots are still one shot kills, and your face is almost completely exposed. And the protection offered by the sides and back of the helmet is way less than you'd think. I tested this with a friend just a few days ago because he had never bought the thing before; it took all of three bullets from the regular pistol (a.k.a. weakest gun in the game) to kill him, with every shot fired to the back of the head. That seems substantial compared to the normal requirement of one shot, but if you're using an assault rifle, the difference in time between firing one shot and 3-5x as many is negligible. Basically it's only going to make the difference in situations where two guys lock on each other at once, both pull up for the headshot, and the helmetless guy is hitting the other guy's helmet and not his face.

More anecdotally, I can tell you that I never wear this thing (in free roam, don't do death matches) and I kill people who ARE wearing it all the time, certainly more often than they kill me. They are far from invincible. You just have to play a tiny bit smarter in exchange for not looking like a goofball.

Should go with the bp helmet. Then again, i already glitched both of them on. And another costume with both head gears along with glasses ect.

0_0.jpg

CarcerCityMadMan

Should go with the bp helmet. Then again, i already glitched both of them on. And another costume with both head gears along with glasses ect.

0_0.jpg

Wow how you do that lol.

lol Good question! I have, but have only found it helpful when trying to flush out those stubborn (stuck?) camping NPCs in gang attacks/contact missions/survivals who keep hurling the same two insults at you. Gotta love the massively overdone Shy* profanity machine. *sigh*

...not that I couldn't just blow the heck out of them anyway; it's just fun to take your time and play around with them/try something new.

If it dispensed gas faster, and covered a bigger area--and the gas mask actually worked--it might be more useful in the game, seeing as it can eventually kill you if you don't leave the area before your health runs out. But not once have I ever seen another player use it...

Edited by DentureDynamite

Ues, they really need to make it counter the effects. In addition, have the AI Cops in Tactical Gear that have tear gas have a Gas Mask equipped. I don't use it as much as I want to because if you don't angle it properly you'll be exposed to your own gas. By having your gas mask, you could have some cover to move foward and whoever was there would be forced to retreat or take the time to equip their own mask.

I use tear gas all the time. If you aren't throwing it behind you in the alley while escaping the Pacific Standard bank, you're missing out. Especially when your teammates aren't covering you.

Great for those pesky enemy respawns in contact missions too.

I admit though, I rarely (if ever) use it against players, as the there isn't really a suppression effect and the time to kill is practically useless.

One of the first things I tested was whether the gas mask protected me from my own tear gas and was mildly disappointed, although not surprised.

• Like 2
Charles_Lee_Raye

do you actually wear those sh*tty helmets to lower the headshot damage? If you do then Im sorry but youre an idiot You still die its just .04 of a second slower -.-.

OT.

petitions are a waste of time so no

Spoken like someone who has never actually used the helmet.

It saved me from a fvcking helicopter rotor. Yah thats right, the tail rotor of my friends buzzard clipped my head and it only knocked me over, my friend witnessed It no bs. They're highly valuable life savers.

• 10 months later...

LOL at those that say cosmetic stuff should be only that.

What about the night vision goggles douc*hebags?, it's a cosmetic that works.

So why not have the Gas Mask categorized as gear & actually work???

Remembering correctly, it unlocks with completion of one of the Heists as well.