3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Gaming laptop opinion help

Metal Slime

I was browsing by to check out which laptop are compatible for the upcoming GTAV for the PC. Do you folks think this laptop is good enough:

ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 15.6-Inch FHD Gaming Laptop, NVIDIA GTX960M

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T7XRH2A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I mostly move around, which is why I am looking into laptops over desktops. Also my old laptop is almost 6 years old so I guess it's a perfect time to find a replacement. I'm in no rush. Just merely looking and needed opinions on it.

Please no flame.

Edited by Zonnex

I'm no expert but it should be able to run V on settings somewhere between low and medium by my eye. 1280x768 or something.

It says it has windows 8.1, and doesn't mention 64bit anywhere which you need for V of course. I assume that you will install win7 64bit over it anyways so no biggie.

• Like 1

Dollar for dollar if you want a laptop to perform the same way a desktop will you have to spend double, meaning a $2000 laptop will do about the same as a $1000 desktop. Are you sure you couldn't just get a mini-ITX case?

front-3q.jpg

I have this case, its very small but is no different to a big desktop in terms of power given the right components.

• Like 3

GTX900 series perform about 70-80% of their desktop . counter parts. So i assume Medium to high settings 720p 30fps.

• Like 1

If I were you, I'd probably buy a low-med laptop which would be able to play most games (including GTAV), and get a high-end desktop.

Just my opinion. :)

• Like 1

Step One of buying a gaming laptop: Don't buy a gaming laptop.

+1

But if you really MUST buy a laptop, one with an external PCIe graphics port would probably work best.

Alienware graphics amplifier for example. I think MSI do something similar.

Really though, if you're serious about gaming get a desktop, it's half the price and twice the potency.

• Like 2

No I'm not getting a desktop unless I can carry it everywhere. I have my reason for getting a laptop.

That said, I appreciate the answers here. I'm no absolute rush since I just started saving up for the laptop, the carrying case and cooling fan.

Already have a mouse that still works fine. Might get myself an Xbox One controller for some Steam games I have in my library.

I still welcome more suggestions if anyone want to add.

...Don't worry about the desktop. I actually wanted to build one but it's not going to be this year or next.

Edited by Zonnex

I'm a gaming laptop user. And I have the gtx 970m which gtx 760 to gtx 770 counterpart in desktop. I can ultra AC Unity in 1080p with a 45-60fps. You can based your laptop in my experience.

• Like 1

I'm no expert but it should be able to run V on settings somewhere between low and medium by my eye. 1280x768 or something.

It says it has windows 8.1, and doesn't mention 64bit anywhere which you need for V of course. I assume that you will install win7 64bit over it anyways so no biggie.

It says it has 16Gb of RAM so it does have a 64bit Windows. You can't have more than 3.5Gb otherwise.

I would wait until the game is out before buying a laptop, because I bought a (incidentally) 1200$ laptop with Nvidia gfx and the whole nine the year before GTA4 came out. I was above the minimum specs and maybe even near the recommended, but the game was unplayable.

They say it's fully optimized for PC, but I think we are starting to know R* by now.

• Like 1

I dunno. I got a laptop recently, I needed it to replace my old one and I spent a little more to get one with a gtx 960m and i7 since I might as well be able to play some games. If I could get medium settings and straight 30 fps, I'd be very satisfied with that.

• Like 1

GrandTeaRedemption

I was browsing by to check out which laptop are compatible for the upcoming GTAV for the PC. Do you folks think this laptop is good enough:

ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 15.6-Inch FHD Gaming Laptop, NVIDIA GTX960M

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T7XRH2A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I mostly move around, which is why I am looking into laptops over desktops. Also my old laptop is almost 6 years old so I guess it's a perfect time to find a replacement. I'm in no rush. Just merely looking and needed opinions on it.

Please no flame.

Good notebook

• Like 1

why spend money on something you know nothing about?
Do your research and educate yourself BEFORE you spend your money -.-

Edited by EvilFiend

I do not have a problem if it's on medium settings, just as long as I can play the game just fine. I'll worry about ultra high end setting for desktops only. I know that the game is not out, although one user here did reminded me of Rockstar's GTAIV PC issue before releasing the patch.

I only post this before the release since I was still debating whether or not them officially posted minimal PC specs was enough for this laptop. Although given that it is still unknown, I'll check out reviews and ask around on it handles.

I also decided to buy the retail PC version instead of digital this time around.

Again thanks for the helpful opinions and advices.

Edited by Zonnex

GrandTeaRedemption

I do not have a problem if it's on medium settings, just as long as I can play the game just fine. I'll worry about ultra high end setting for desktops only. I know that the game is not out, although one user here did reminded me of Rockstar's GTAIV PC issue before releasing the patch.

I only post this before the release since I was still debating whether or not them officially posted minimal PC specs was enough for this laptop. Although given that it is still unknown, I'll check out reviews and ask around on it handles.

Again thanks for the helpful opinions and advices.

The only downside on those high perfomance laptops is built battery. The trackpad will probably suck and battery life.

• Like 1

The CPU and GPU are a pretty nice combo on this laptop. Plenty of RAM as well! I don't see why you couldn't run the game.

• Like 1

That laptop is pretty good.If the game is well optimized you will play it at medium settings around 60 fps on a 1366x768 resolution(if you are lucky).The cpu and the video card are great.

Here is a quick review of the graphic card :

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-960M-Review.137893.0.html

Edited by i.petrucatalin
  • Like 1

I'm a gaming laptop user. And I have the gtx 970m which gtx 760 to gtx 770 counterpart in desktop. I can ultra AC Unity in 1080p with a 45-60fps. You can based your laptop in my experience.

there is no way you can do that. I have the actual GTX 970 and the game barely runs that well on it. I'd check your eyes if I were you.

there is no way you can do that. I have the actual GTX 970 and the game barely runs that well on it. I'd check your eyes if I were you.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Isn't the game capped at 30FPS for "cinematic experience"? Or did one of those 2543 patches fix that? Genuinely curious.

Edit:

To answer the original question about the gaming laptop.

Ask yourself, how heavy are you into gaming and what is your budget? If you can spend a little extra, I would go for a 970 series GPU to be a little more future proof. If you don't want to spend extra, 960 is okay and should run the game fine.

It's a good laptop overall, there are plenty of video reviews on YouTube, so I would give those a shot first.

Edited by AzO
  • Like 1

I always love gaming since the 80's, and can tolerate limitations as long as I can enjoy them. I mean if I can run it on low or medium really well, then I am satisfied. I'd be very impressed if it can run on High smoothly. Ultra is just asking too much. I'll worry about its max on Desktops only.

Thanks so much for the helpful inputs. I apologize for asking an advice before GTAV PC's release. I'm just actually pretty excited for the PC version even if I already played it on the PS3 and PS4.

Edited by Zonnex