2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Pre ordered the game thinking it was a steam key...

lydianduck

Pre-ordered the game on https://uk.gamesplanet.com/which I know from experience it's a respectable website, however, now im dissapointed to find out it's a social club key not a steam key; Im confused now, anyone have experience activating their games on social club? Do I need to download a social club app or something? Also, will I be able to play on the same servers as people on steam? And how do the updates work? Are they automatic just like if I had the game on steam?! And can I add the game launcher as a non steam shortcut after installation?

I hope someone can clear these doubts for me, this is confusing, I should have gotten this game on steam instead of social club just to save 7 dollars.

Thanks!

Edited by Brainsick

Pre-ordered the game on https://uk.gamesplanet.com/which I know from experience it's a respectable website, however, now im dissapointed to find out it's a social club key not a steam key; Im confused now, anyone have experience activating their games on social club? Do I need to download a social club app or something? Also, will I be able to play on the same servers as people on steam? And how do the updates work? Are they automatic just like if I had the game on steam?! And can I add the game launcher as a non steam shortcut after installation?

I hope someone can clear these doubts for me, this is confusing, I should have gotten this game on steam instead of social club just to save 7 dollars.

Thanks!

this game is sc only

if you want play in gta with steam friends buy steam version

Theres no real steam version. It supports the steam overlay and features, but you still need social club and everything else.

Same story as with the ubisoft games.

• Like 2

Yeah i would like to know the same things, can you download the game from RGSC or do you need the files from somewhere?

Yeah i would like to know the same things, can you download the game from RGSC or do you need the files from somewhere?

RGSC its not steam or origin or uplay. yet

but you can download game from warehouse

RGSC its not steam or origin or uplay. yet

but you can download game from warehouse

Oh alright, i tought i have to torrent the game files or something to play it, in that case i would probably go for Steam version, but if you can download it then that's fine, thanks.

nightmare-slain

if you buy it from rockstar or steam you still need to use social club to access online servers. so you will be able to play with people who are playing on steam. when you buy the steam version all you're doing is downloading it through steam, storing it in steam, and using the overlay/steamworks if supported.

if you buy it from rockstar or steam you still need to use social club to access online servers. so you will be able to play with people who are playing on steam. when you buy the steam version all you're doing is downloading it through steam, storing it in steam, and using the overlay/steamworks if supported.

you can play with steam friends but invited them from sc

steam is way better for communication with friends

and sc f*ckin horrible imo

just because it doesnt have chat

Edited by Antaxi

Geeteeaifive

if thats the case, its worth buying on steam just for storing it there. Much safer than owning a hard copy.

You will be able to redeem & download the game using your Social Club account on their website when you receive your key.

Edited by Karim-21K

I have a question. If i will buy from them too https://uk.gamesplanet.com/ i will get only social club key only right? then i have to download from rokstar site and activite game with that key? Also can i activite only once? I mean if in the future i will change my hdd and i will have to download game again. Can i use that key again or that game will be signed to my social club account so after downloading on new hard drive the game will be already active and ready to play? 32 pounds is quite cheap

Edited by teter8

Thanks!

Well your best bet to get the steam version is from the steam store or a select few online retailers that sell the steam pre purchase -gift.Nobody Sells a Steam key for GTA 5 as it doesn't exist.

I have a question. If i will buy from them too https://uk.gamesplanet.com/ i will get only social club key only right? then i have to download from rokstar site and activite game with that key? Also can i activite only once? I mean if in the future i will change my hdd and i will have to download game again. Can i use that key again or that game will be signed to my social club account so after downloading on new hard drive the game will be already active and ready to play? 32 pounds is quite cheap

You will get a key and a link to download Gta 5 from Rockstars website upon release.Then you activate the game using the key.I Believe you can use the key indefintely as long as you only use it on one Social club account.Yah I'd say go for it if you don't really care for steam exclusive features like achievements etc.

Edited by TheSun

Yes you will get a social club key that you activate once to your social club email. Once it is activated it is permanent to that social club account. If we will download it through a " GTA V download manager" or a Rockstar link time will tell, but in either case If you ever have any issues just get in touch with Rockstar support.

Edited by Karim-21K

gamerzworld

Thanks!

this game is sc only

Just in-case anyone actually believes this -- don't. Everyone will be able to play togeather regardless of where you purchased from. The game from Steam will still need to be linked to a Social Club account and all of the online features are handled by Social Club. The only thing Steam users get "extra" is game achievements will also appear on their Steam account.

needs easy explaining
hard DVD version for collectors buyers (without steam)
digital for everyone else.

ThunderBanana

if thats the case, its worth buying on steam just for storing it there. Much safer than owning a hard copy.

One could argue that having a physical copy stored next to you would be safer than any digital version stored on a server in GabeN's basement. He might sit on it.

That said, physical versions these days are really only for people who either like to collect them, or for people where it's impossible/impractical to download.

Edited by ThunderBanana

Steam version being more expensive than retail is f*cking retarded.

Costs of producing a retail disc version are much higher than a digital version.

Cost of DVDs, box, manuals and shipping the game to the stores worldwide

On Steam, you just upload the game there and that's it.

It's Steam version that should be cheap as f*ck.

The only reason why Steam game would be so expensive is if Steam was taking a big fee per one game download. I can't find any precise information about Steam fees though.

Edited by Bonaldo
  • Like 1

Thanks!

this game is sc only

There's so much wrong with this, but here's a dissection.

Even if you have the Steam version, you're still required to use RSC. The only difference is you wont be downloading via RSC.

If player A has the Steam version, but player B has the RSC version, they'll still be able to play together if they want to b/c all online is on RSC servers and you'll be playing with your RSC name. Its exactly like Ubisoft games on Steam that require uPlay. All online goes through uPlay, so someone with the uPlay version, can still play with his Steam friends. And its still possible to have the Steam overlay so you can chat with your friends and all that, as you can add the game via "Add a Non-Steam Game" function.

The only difference between the two is where you're downloading/updating from.

• Like 1

Steam version being MUCH more expensive than retail is f*cking retarded.

Costs of producing a retail disc version are much higher than a digital version.

The only reason why Steam game would be so expensive is if Steam was taking a big fee per one game download. I can't find any precise information about Steam fees though.

I don't disagree with the sentiment b/c I like saving money, but there is an easy explanation, and you're not looking at the big picture.

#1 Rockstar WANTS everyone to buy the RSC version if possible. If you buy retail, R* gets more money for each copy sold. This also includes digital RSC copies like from Amazon and GMG. The overhead %s are lower with these retailers, so R* still makes more money for each RSC copy sold.

#2 No. Costs for manufacturing are actually cheaper on a mass production level compared to the costs of around the world data hosting. If you manufacture 500000 copies of a game, thats it. The game is on disc and only thing data wise that has to be worried about are updates and multiplayer. Its very cheap to manufacture DVDs these days espc on a mass production level like GTA 5 will have. For indies its more expensive because they wont have nearly the same amount of copies produced. When you sell digital, that means there is limitless copies, so while more money can be made in the long run, the huge amount of data has to be sent constantly to each new customer. That is A LOT of data. Valve charges upwards of 20% for each copy sold on Steam. The data costs can be enormous, especially if 1 million people (just a random number) bought the same game and downloaded 60+ GB of data. That has to be paid for. And its not just data, taxes and other things come into play as well.

The reason why the game is more expensive on Steam is because its essentially exclusive. Rockstar are the ones who are not allowing places like GMG and Amazon to sell the Steam version. Its not as simple as "just uploading". Servers and data streams cost money.

Keep this in mind: The developer sets the price on Steam, they also control sale prices. Not Valve. Rockstar set the Steam price to full MSRP to entice those who want to save money to get their version b/c they know that places like GMG will have deals. They get more money from direct sales and from GMG/Amazon type of places because the fees are lower.

Edited by oaoso

gamerzworld

Steam version being MUCH more expensive than retail is f*cking retarded.

#1 Rockstar WANTS everyone to buy the RSC version if possible. If you buy retail, R* gets more money for each copy sold. This also includes digital RSC copies like from Amazon and GMG. The overhead %s are lower with these retailers, so R* still makes more money for each RSC copy sold.

While I'm sure Rockstar makes a bit more compared to Steam, the digital Social Club/R* Warehouse sales go through Digital River and I'm sure DR is making a pretty penny from each copy sold. Downloads are also likely being handled by DR, who are well known for selling "extended download rights".

Edited by gamerzworld

• 2 weeks later...

I actually thought this was a steam key as well.... I installed the game and it wont let me run it through steam (Im so used to steam overlays and I REALLY wanted the DVD version thinking it would include a steam key)

The game runs fine - really nice too BUUUUUT when I make a shortcut in the steam list, it opens the splash screen, then vanishes...

Is there a way to allow steam to open the game so you can have the overlay? I think I may have made a mistake.