Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (91,610 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Felzuma

which GTA had the best combat system?

The Deadite

Since when are mentioning also shooting sistem, IV by far, i like how peds reacts to certain weapons in V but that's it,guns feel powerful, with recoil and sound better in IV, is the sh*t to clean a warehouse full of impertinent f*cks.

V is a disgrace in this field,i'll be better off with flamethrowers or crossbows.

Edited by Midnight Hitman

Son of Zeus

Hand to hand would be SA for me. Peds felt solid when they blocked your punches. Also, those new moves were cool.

Gun combat would be IV. V has a much better cover system but that's about it. IV has recoil and better sounds, the guns felt powerful.

Stoney0503

I forgot to mention shooting in my last posts, silly me.

GTA III's Auto aim was awful on PS2, thank f*ck they fixed it in GTA VC, I think it was also fixed a little bit in the mobile version, but it only got rid of the sh*tty camera.

GTA III also didn't have crouching, this wouldn't be a problem if the fact the Police and other enemies could crouch and you couldn't.

GTA VC was perfect IMO, when aiming the camera quickly snapped into position and you could quickly aim at the right target if needed, the game also added a feature where it would aim threats instead of NPCs, while in GTA III you could accidently shoot a NPC instead of an angry cop.

SA's aiming was decent at best, free aim sucked on PS2 because it was stiff and clunky because there was no sensitivity option, but it was a bit better on PC, however the gun sounds are awful compared to III and VC, in those games each gun had a different sound to them while in SA they feel very boring or repetitive at best, they also bring back a problem from GTA III where enemies could take cover and you couldn't, a mission where this can be seen is "Saint Marks Bistro", only this time it's against the walls and not crouching, the only time you do take cover like this is a forced segment in the mission "Freefall".

Thank f*ck GTA IV had a much better guns sounds and shooting in general, however the cover system sucks but atleast crouching is still there.

GTA V's is basically GTA IV's but improved, especially the cover system, in fact the cover system was so good in GTA V that I think this is the reason why crouching is removed, there wouldn't really be a use for crouching if we have the perfect cover system, I would say more things about the gr8ness of GTA V's cover and shooting but I wanna keep this short so long story short, GTA V feels more balanced compared to GTA IV (not saying GTA IV isn't balanced).

theGTAking101

I forgot to mention shooting in my last posts, silly me.

GTA III's Auto aim was awful on PS2, thank f*ck they fixed it in GTA VC, I think it was also fixed a little bit in the mobile version, but it only got rid of the sh*tty camera.

GTA III also didn't have crouching, this wouldn't be a problem if the fact the Police and other enemies could crouch and you couldn't.

GTA VC was perfect IMO, when aiming the camera quickly snapped into position and you could quickly aim at the right target if needed, the game also added a feature where it would aim threats instead of NPCs, while in GTA III you could accidently shoot a NPC instead of an angry cop.

SA's aiming was decent at best, free aim sucked on PS2 because it was stiff and clunky because there was no sensitivity option, but it was a bit better on PC, however the gun sounds are awful compared to III and VC, in those games each gun had a different sound to them while in SA they feel very boring or repetitive at best, they also bring back a problem from GTA III where enemies could take cover and you couldn't, a mission where this can be seen is "Saint Marks Bistro", only this time it's against the walls and not crouching, the only time you do take cover like this is a forced segment in the mission "Freefall".

Thank f*ck GTA IV had a much better guns sounds and shooting in general, however the cover system sucks but atleast crouching is still there.

GTA V's is basically GTA IV's but improved, especially the cover system, in fact the cover system was so good in GTA V that I think this is the reason why crouching is removed, there wouldn't really be a use for crouching if we have the perfect cover system, I would say more things about the gr8ness of GTA V's cover and shooting but I wanna keep this short so long story short, GTA V feels more balanced compared to GTA IV (not saying GTA IV isn't balanced).

GTA V's shooting and cover mechanics mixed with IV's gun sounds would be the the ultimate combat system.

UshaB

I change my mind, San Andre was the gta I had most fun with the melee. Good ol' spinning heel kick :)

PhillBellic

GTA IV by a long shot, followed by VCS's grappling system.

Shadowfennekin

Gunwise.... V

Melee..... I hate IV with a passion but it takes this.

JamRock7

Vice city and IV

vengeancehawk

1.) GTA IV

2.) GTA SA

3.) GTA VCS

SuperGTFan

TBOGT, and it seems a bit tougher than IV or that maybe just me.

wiizardii

I change my mind, San Andre was the gta I had most fun with the melee. Good ol' spinning heel kick :)

Wait you can do spinning heel kicks in SA!??!?!! I don't ever recall that, but I do remember you being able to do some neat combos in IV which does include the spinning heel kick.

Edited by Phoenix_Poop

Thelema93

Hand to hand- IV for sure. I loved niko's brutal and effient counter attacks, from the roundhouse kicks, to the back fists, to the spinning heel kicks. Even how you could disarm knife or baseball bat wielding opponents and use there weapon against them. It actually took skill, and you had to perfectly time when to counter.

Gunplay- it's a mix between IV and V. I liked V's smooth cover system, but the guns in IV sounded better. And they felt much more powerful, especially with vibration on. but I would probably still give the slight edge to V. The free aim felt more natural and smooth.

The Made Man

GTA H2H SA easily for me. The Martial Arts combat was so smooth...

IV's H2H was god awful imo, but they made up for that with its top tier shooting mechanic/system.

Edited by The Made Man

Hover_Mode

GTAIV

Osho

GTA SA melee was very good. I am not that much of an expert to explain myself with technicalities to gaming but, to put in simple words, the melee mechanics in SA felt very simple and not something scripted according to timing for launching an attack followed by an animation designed to target a specific body angle. You launch an attack and it will certainly hit as long as you are in close to the target, thus I could chain my attacks quickly to take the target down, unlike in IV where I didn't feel like in complete control of the attacks I launched more than how I time the attack to match the flow with the animation scripted or designed for a "successful" one. Many times it felt like I should have easily hit instead of missing the initial attack.

So yeah, SA appealed to me for its very smooth and natural melee fights. Its a shame that the A.I. was a complete sh*t that didn't offer a good challenge to make the melee more interesting.

DaWiesel

Overall V, mainly because of the improved cover system that feels a lot more dynamic and fluid compared to IV's, though I have to agree that IV's weapons had better gun sounds and felt more powerful.

Gigs84

GTA H2H SA easily for me. The Martial Arts combat was so smooth...

IV's H2H was god awful.

I share this opinion and think they improved gunplay the best, in GTA V.

I would only ask that they add the option to drop a weapon, in SP.

Osho

lo and behold! Mods did before Rockstar - Weapon Drop

Gigs84

lo and behold! Mods did before Rockstar - Weapon Drop

ib07hdzM9mHj3i_zpskkfb3tcc.gif

B Dawg

Nobody mentions how V has weapons with little to none bulletspread/recoil to them, letting you spray with every single bullet still hitting your enemy.

Reameb

GTA IV and GTA SA

Weed_from_Field

Vice City Stories has the best combat in GTA series,yet it still not very good in recent games.

Big Gta fan

san andreas then vc then iv

Dangerous and sad

I think Ivs hand to hand combat looks overrated. All these kicks and headbutts only happen if you counter attack them, while ur actually fighting them, you can do f*ck all moves compared to gta v. In V you can do a multiple of things, to bad that dam FOOTBALL kick move ruins it

Tycek

Hard to get something sensible from your post, but IV got separated buttons for light punch, heavy punch and kick. So you could do much more than in V with just one button for everything randomly giving you football kick, bitch slap KO, and other stupid attacks.

B Dawg

Who thought a bitch slap would be a good combat move? The hell?

SuperGTFan

I do! I knocked out a female cop from Blaine County using it. It sure felt badass...

Thelema93

V's melee sucks... end of story.

PhillBellic

Who thought a bitch slap would be a good combat move? The hell?

Well Rockstar thought that it would be a good idea. ;)

Thelema93

has anybody else been able to bitch slap as michael or franklin?. I've only done it as trevor. their seem to be a few attacks that are only exclusive to trevor, the head butt being another one of them.

Edited by Thelema93