Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,665 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Felzuma

which GTA had the best combat system?

Felzuma

My vote would be 4 because of how powerful your weapons felt and how easily you can lock onto enemies.

Gtaman_92

It would be GTA 4 for me. Fighting was a lot more realistic and brutal.

Stoney0503

GTA Vice city, San Andreas and V.

And the most realistic one, GTA 1.

The Deadite

IMO IV fighting is incredibly overrated, is not smooth and i find meele to be disgraceful, bat and knife attacks look hilarious, it was greatly improved in V too bad that counter attacks and weapon snatch was removed,one of many steps back of V.

my favorite is San Andreas with multiple fighting styles, followed by VCS with grappling sistem.

Edited by Midnight Hitman

Gigs84

San Andreas, if not just for the customization.

dognuts

IV, guns are loud and violent and melee is challenging and controlled. I love it.

zuckmeslow

gta 4. better hand to hand, better sound effects, stronger weapons, better ragdoll and more health

GTA-Biker

I liked SA combat the most.In melee combat you could learn martial arts to unlock new fighting moves.With guns,the higher your shooting skill stat was the deadlier you were (you would aim more accurate,reload faster,and you could also dual-wield Pistol,Micro SMG,Tec 9 and Sawed off shotgun).

GTA 4 and GTA VCS had good melee combat and GTA 5 has weapon customization,so those are ok too (but unfortunately melee in GTA 5 sucks).

Edited by LeopardGecko

Nopheros

V could've been better. It was near to perfect in Max Payne 3.

Femme Fatale

Tie between GTA 4, and GTA SA...

Algonquin Assassin

GTA IV. Counters in melee are awesome IMO and guns actually have recoil. Enemies feel like they're being riddled with bullets instead of absorbing them like play dough.

lastmanonearth

V. It`s not my fault if the rest of you don`t see it.

Zello

IV and VCS

J Cobra

GTA V and GTA San Andreas.

Stoney0503

I also liked CTW's combat.

Mr_Leone

GTA IV. Counters in melee are awesome IMO and guns actually have recoil. Enemies feel like they're being riddled with bullets instead of absorbing them like play dough.

I've been rekt by cops in GTA 5 by a shotgun from close range and got blasted back. Taking SMG/Pistol shots are play dough-ish for sure though. Assault rifles aren't better either lol.

I'd say IV's, the stiffness held it back but it was the most rewarding. I'd be like "OHHHHHH" when Niko would get a one hit KO.

Edited by Mr_Leone

007_eleven

V's is easier to use with more settings for fine tuning aim, the way the camera is situated makes it far easier to move around whilst shooting, the weapons have longer range and there is less spread (although I do wish for a tad bit more recoil.)

IV's guns sound cooler, it has crouching and rolling around is not prevalent at all. I that like firefights are slower paced and have more traditional weapons rather than miniguns, autoshotguns and insurgents.

Overall I would find IV more nostalgic but V's is more effective to use.

jeanrjm

Vice City Stories you could break necks and such + San Andreas you could learn new moves

Edited by jeanrjm

UshaB

GTA IV. It's shooting and the melee for its cool counter-attack animations.

Shenmue18

Hand to hand: GTA IV

Shooting: GTA 3 and GTA VC because of the difficulty followed by GTA IV.

Tycek

IV as it has the best hand to hand system and cool weapons fights, with recoil, bullet dispersion and nice F/X (smoke coming out of weapons and you really felt the power of Assault Rifle).

VCS hand to hand system is on second place on my book and it had the grapples, which IV lacks unfortunately.

lastmanonearth

How can anyone like the combat system in VCS? It always locks onto the wrong person, it often happens that the target that`s locked on is behind Vince and he`s shooting straight at a wall while being raped from behind, the camera is all over the place etc. The combat in VCS is unbearably bad. GTA V has the best cover system, the best weapon selection system, the best choice of weapons, lets you basically stop time until you figure out what to do, the camera is easy to control etc. so it`s the easiest and the best. Although I miss having the VC chainsaw.

UshaB

Because you can grapple. No matter how good GTA 5 is, no matter how good San Andre is. GTA VCS is the only, the only gta to have a grappling system.

Tycek

V can have hundreds of things in that matter, but it lacks the most important one imo - fun. The hand to hand is piss easy and painful to watch with automatic movement and one kill bitch slaps and the weapons in V, no matter how many you will put them in the game feel more like an airsoft than a real weapons. Sounds are weak and they all lack a kick, being nothing more than a tool to remove AI controlled obstacles than something you may find fun in.

UshaB

Franklin at least should of been given the boxing fighting style used in LA Noire.

American Viking

GTA IV, no question. Niko had punches, kicks, headbutts, and elbows in the basic attack, plus about 10 different combos off a counter. He could also soccer kick and punch a person on the ground, as well as disarm them. With weapons, Niko had some fairly basic strikes and a few combos off a counter. If they had given Niko the ability to grab, throw, and slam...that would've been epic. Finally, how can I forget the fact that Niko can actually ko someone without killing them, unlike GTA V. The peds will also move away from Niko after taking a severe beating, also unlike V, where guys run away immediately or fight to the death.

Ducard

IV's combat was very clunky. It ruined the fun of just punching random peds on the street because it was so clunky. Even if it had different counters and stuff, that is no excuse.

San Andreas probably had the best hand to hand combat. It was smooth and you could learn new moves. As for shooting, again, IV had great gun sounds (you could hear the bullets falling on to the ground) and that made gunfights very realistic. Although the selection of weapons in the base game was dire, this was improved in EFLC.

Hand to hand combat: San Andreas.

Gunplay: IV + EFLC.

lastmanonearth

IV's combat was very clunky. It ruined the fun of just punching random peds on the street because it was so clunky. Even if it had different counters and stuff, that is no excuse.

San Andreas probably had the best hand to hand combat. It was smooth and you could learn new moves. As for shooting, again, IV had great gun sounds (you could hear the bullets falling on to the ground) and that made gunfights very realistic. Although the selection of weapons in the base game was dire, this was improved in EFLC.

Hand to hand combat: San Andreas.

Gunplay: IV + EFLC.

Yeah, I forgot about the different training schools SA had. SA wins then, hands down. Shame the sound effects were awful.

el_make

San Andreas had those neat combat moves you learned at the gyms.

And later used them against the instructor, lol!

My vote goes to IV though - Niko's fighting style was the best.

Edited by MarQs

Algonquin Assassin

GTA IV, no question. Niko had punches, kicks, headbutts, and elbows in the basic attack, plus about 10 different combos off a counter. He could also soccer kick and punch a person on the ground, as well as disarm them. With weapons, Niko had some fairly basic strikes and a few combos off a counter. If they had given Niko the ability to grab, throw, and slam...that would've been epic. Finally, how can I forget the fact that Niko can actually ko someone without killing them, unlike GTA V. The peds will also move away from Niko after taking a severe beating, also unlike V, where guys run away immediately or fight to the death.

Bas Rutten also done the motion capture which when I think about it whenever I control Niko it feels like I'm controlling someone with a MMA background.

It might not be silky smooth, but it also feels believable without feeling like you're controlling Batman.