2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA V PC downloading boxed version, please help!

DonMaciej

Hello, since even Rockstar wasnt able to anwser my question, maybe someone here herad or knows anything about it, and by it I mean, downloading GTA V PC in boxed version from Rockstar Social Club or Steam using cd key form box. Now some of you will ask why would i want to download since i have boxed version with dvds, well, I dont have dvd drive in my laptop (which is btw lenovo y50 i7 3.5ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 860m 4gb), and yet i would much rather have a boxed version, there is something to it for me, so please help me! Maybe someone had some experience with previous rockstar games Max Payne 3, LA noir ? Thank you mates !

Edited by DonMaciej

It's very unlikely there'll be a CD key in the box, you might be better off buying a box at a later date when it's cheaper but getting a digital version to actually play it as well, if you really want.

gwZr6Zc.png

Well, why wouldnt there be a cd key, I dont remember a boxed version of game that didnt had one? I dont know what to do really cause even Rockstar replayed that they have no info on this matter : (

Well, why wouldnt there be a cd key, I dont remember a boxed version of game that didnt had one? I dont know what to do really cause even Rockstar replayed that they have no info on this matter : (

Hi there,

I suggest purchasing the digital version of the game off of Steam or from the Rockstar Warehouse. If you get the box version, you can only install the game with the disc (like L.A Noire). The key provided with the retail version will not work on Steam.

Igor Bogdanoff

Or you can get game from t*rrents (DONT TAKE THIS AS PIRACY) and use CD Key from your boxed version.

I quess you can just rip your dvd's into iso image on another pc with dvd drive or download images from piratebay or somthing, then simply install game with virtual drive and activate it with your key.

Sell your copy for the same price and use the money to but a digital copy from Steam.

if its the same as 4 then you will need the discs to play. You cant DL the game

I quess you can just rip your dvd's into iso image on another pc with dvd drive or download images from piratebay or somthing, then simply install game with virtual drive and activate it with your key.

But even if you make images of the discs, that will only get it installed. The disc has to be in the drive or the game won't start.

Edited by Niteye

With GTA IV I downloaded the iso's and activate with the key from the box. As for the dvd in drive in order to play, I use the executable from steam works fine.

I solved the problem, the cd key can be activated on RSC and downloaded from there as well (confirmed by few stores), so i pre ordered boxed version :)

You can download the game files if either ur CD is broken or not...because u get a key to activate ur game on SOCIAL CLUB...i think its like origin..i ordered the Battlefield 3 boxed copy...i had problems with the 2nd CD couldnt install it...origin says Disc cant be read..so all i did was quit origin,removed the disc and logged on again and they asked me to download the remaining game files

gamerzworld

You can download the game files if either ur CD is broken or not...because u get a key to activate ur game on SOCIAL CLUB...i think its like origin..i ordered the Battlefield 3 boxed copy...i had problems with the 2nd CD couldnt install it...origin says Disc cant be read..so all i did was quit origin,removed the disc and logged on again and they asked me to download the remaining game files

As far as I know, this is not how L.A. Noire or Max Payne 3 worked and they both use the same setup GTAV is using.

Or you can get game from t*rrents (DONT TAKE THIS AS PIRACY) and use CD Key from your boxed version.

Rockstar will likely have a CD check in-place for boxed copies or some kind of licensing check if you have a digital copy. In this case, you'd have to wait for pirates to do their deeds and even then you most likely won't be able to access Online.

Unfortunately, Rockstar has been very quiet on details regarding DRM and licensing.

Edited by gamerzworld