2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

What's with the silence?

jobnocky71

Does anyone else think such a simple thing as our character talking should have been overlooked?

I mean obviously he/she ain't gonna talk randomly as they're going about their business, but in obvious situations. eg. when being questioned or spoken to by Lester etc.

Also as with the gestures you can set in quick menu, wouldn't it be fun if there was a pre-selected bunch of text you could use and your character actually speaks ie. retard npc crashes into you - you respond with an audible "F**K YOU!!" lol

Edited by jobnocky71
  • Like 2

When you talk into the mic, your character's mouth moves. So you're doing your own voice acting.

Assasin_Zack

The game sees it as YOU being the voice. When you talk in a mic your characters mouth moves aswell. So if someone crashes in to you you yell f*ck you yourself. And they had to make the cutscenes logically because the game can't adjust quickly enough to what you say. But I like the running joke of our characters being mute.

Silence..... I KILL YOU!!!

Oh here we go again, pointless posts by the pointless

I'm on point

And I could tell that you're jealous just by the look in your eye

• Like 2

I loved spamming the talk button on GTA 4. Just running up to someone saying 'How it do' or whatever before slashing them with the superior melee knife system compared to the magnet single stab of 5.

• Like 3

I've always thought that yeah. There could be a choice of 5 or 6 voices in the same way that you can choose your character's stance and walk style.

As much as I'm used to the muteness and blank expressions it would be nice if I felt that my character actually had some character and not just what I've projected onto him. GTA games are full of colourful characters and I'd rather be one of them than an awkward looking mute.

I'm on point

sure, but you don't have the ability to make relevant comments. Autism? idk

• Like 4

Consider how much extra work would go into this - writing the dialogue, recording the dialogue, employing and directing voice actors for male & female, plus different ethnic backgrounds for all character variations. Plus additional voice production for any extra Heists, missions, cutscenes in future updates, etc.

After all that money and effort, most players would bitch and moan about how stupid their character sounds, and how they want more control. It doesn't make sense for R* to write dialogue for player-created characters. The silent protagonist is there so players can project their own idea of what kind of person they want to be in the game. It's a little weird and awkward, true... but it works well enough for me.

I do like how Lamar tried hitting on my character at the airport and she just gave him the silent treatment though :D

• Like 2

I'm on point

sure, but you don't have the ability to make relevant comments. Autism? idk

Only on threads worth my time

• Like 2

SuperSpartan747

I'm on point

*on fleek

• Like 1

The game sees it as YOU being the voice. When you talk in a mic your characters mouth moves aswell. So if someone crashes in to you you yell f*ck you yourself. And they had to make the cutscenes logically because the game can't adjust quickly enough to what you say. But I like the running joke of our characters being mute.

I didn't mean voices through mic for cutscenes, i meant a scripted conversation for those situations just to make them feel a little less linear

SirPhilMcKraken

If Saints Row can have the option for 7 different voices for a whole SP story, I can't see it being too hard to implement into GTAO as there wouldn't be much chance to speak. Saints Row might be silly but their character customisation puts GTAO's one to shame.

• Like 2

I'm on point

*on fleek

Fleek?

Consider how much extra work would go into this - writing the dialogue, recording the dialogue, employing and directing voice actors for male & female, plus different ethnic backgrounds for all character variations. Plus additional voice production for any extra Heists, missions, cutscenes in future updates, etc.

After all that money and effort, most players would bitch and moan about how stupid their character sounds, and how they want more control. It doesn't make sense for R* to write dialogue for player-created characters. The silent protagonist is there so players can project their own idea of what kind of person they want to be in the game. It's a little weird and awkward, true... but it works well enough for me.

I do like how Lamar tried hitting on my character at the airport and she just gave him the silent treatment though :D

WTF have they done with all the dialogue for the entire game then?

So a little more for one character is a drop in the ocean

When you talk into the mic, your character's mouth moves. So you're doing your own voice acting.

i didn't know that as i'm not a mic user, cheers

prestonchan

I would like them include some basic terms like

hello

what's up

thanks

f*ck you

or some terms we can use in mission / heist like

move

to your left

to your right

ready?

back off

• Like 3

smokingndriving

No. I don't want to be sitting on my boat, have some troll try to get aboard and interrupt the sound of the waves against the boat with, "Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey........What's up.....What's upWhat's upWhat's upWhat's upWhat's upWhat's up."

• Like 2

No. I don't want to be sitting on my boat, have some troll try to get aboard and interrupt the sound of the waves against the boat with, "Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey.Hey........What's up.....What's upWhat's upWhat's upWhat's upWhat's upWhat's up."

I think you should be more bothered about the homing missile snaking towards you from the beach

Elric_Francis92

Oh and if you have the LCD ear piece it gloes blue when people talk to you. So just have that in yer char's ear so when their mouth move you can think someone is listening to yer char on the other end (most of the time it's likely true anyways.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

Buy a mic...seriously its a good way to solve youre trouble :)

mind_blown.gif

WTF have they done with all the dialogue for the entire game then?

So a little more for one character is a drop in the ocean

Read what I said. It's not for one character, it's for all variants of characters a player could potentially create. That includes mutliple genders, ages and ethnicities if they want to do it right. Considering GTA is classed as a high-profile AAA title, player expectations are ridiculously high and people would demand this level of variation and customization - just look at requests for GTAO player clothing to see how in-depth people want creation tools and custom options to be.

Do you work in games development? I do. I understand how expensive in terms of money and time invested it could be to add that 'drop in the ocean' as you put it... and I would have made the same decision as R* with regards to multiplayer characters and lack of speech.

Edited by Coleco

And then suggests she'll shoot him with the gun he just gave her :lol:

I knew she'd be trouble from day 1...

Edited by dewtech_2008
  • Like 2

Rockstar outdid themselves in single player. I enjoy the online game the way it is. There are many other things to be fixed before the experience would be cheapened by misrepresenting the voice of the Muse. He (I) can speak just fine. Even made a few friends doing my own "voice acting." Couple enemies too...

1) OP is too stupid to understand what this response means

2) If you know Achmed like I do, then you know it's "I KEEL YOU!" Ha Ha!.

CBWEjU1WYAAN4Yk.jpg

• Like 2

If Saints Row can have the option for 7 different voices for a whole SP story, I can't see it being too hard to implement into GTAO as there wouldn't be much chance to speak. Saints Row might be silly but their character customisation puts GTAO's one to shame.

but they don't use any voice for your online character or their ONLY best bud/random that can join them....yeah should be a cakewalk for 30 different ones when SR couldn't be bothered with it.

People need to stop with the comparisons when we all know whose best and first. Immitators are flattering but leave the real task to the pros.

BTW I own all the SR games. They can't compare to any gta game...just my opinion.

Edited by TreFacTor

CarimboHanky

youre the voice of the character...

even know it would be fun having voice actions like in IV...