4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Need some advice.

SapphireCrystal

SapphireCrystal

Hey guys, okay I really need some advice.

So my motherboard is ASRock N68C-GS FX http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS%20FX/

And I'm planning to upgrade my graphics card with Asus NVIDIA GeForce 750 OR NVIDIA GeForce 750 OC. Now I don't really know which one is better, so I'd like your advice, since the price difference is not so high.

Now the problem is my board accepts PCI Express x16 slot and the NVIDIA GeForce 750 (not OC) is PCI Express 3.0, and I'm wondering do those 2 go together? I kinda searched around Google but I really didn't find an answer that concerns my board.

So basically, can my board accept a PCI Express 3.0 GPU?

N68C-GS FX uses an nVida nForce 630a chipset, which means it probably has PCIe 1.1a. A 3.0 card is likely to work. I've tested my GTX660 (PCIe 3.0) on Abit IP35-E (PCIe 1.1a) and it worked fine.

All GTX750 cards have PCIe 3.0, there are no other variants.

Could you link to these two cards you consider buying? "NVIDIA GeForce 750 OC" is not specific enough, I don't think you can buy a card directly from nVidia. There are also several models of the ASUS card.

Also - what is your CPU, and what PSU do you have?

74cXSsx.png

SapphireCrystal

It's not english but there:

Asus GTX750: https://www.varle.lt/vaizdo-plokstes/asus-gtx750-phoc-2gd5-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-pci-e.html

and yup, it's Gigabyte, sorry about that: https://www.varle.lt/vaizdo-plokstes/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-750-oc-2gb-gddr5-128-bit.html

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 Dual Processor 5000+ (2.7 MHz core speed)

PSU: Some old ass power supply, 250W.

I'm thinking about replacing that because the GPU needs more, so maybe 550W:

https://www.varle.lt/maitinimo-blokai/codegen-qori-power-supply-atx-550w-v203-p4-silent.html

Your CPU is very outdated and unless you plan to upgrade it in the near future, I'd advise you against buying a GTX750, it's a huge overkill. Besides, new nVidia cards don't work that well with old dual core CPUs on Windows Vista and newer systems.

These two cards are quite similar, I'd just get the cheaper one.

Codegen power supplies are crap, buy something proper instead. You cannot buy a good, brand new power supply for €17, you have to spend some more cash.

The cheapest decent PSU from this store is https://www.varle.lt/maitinimo-blokai/chieftec-gpa-psu-400w-12cm-atx-80plus.html- but I'd pay extra €10 and get https://www.varle.lt/maitinimo-blokai/psu-corsair-vs-450w-eu-024-version-80-plus.html which has more connectors, more power, longer cables and longer warranty.

74cXSsx.png

SapphireCrystal

Ah well. Thanks for posting links from the same store. What do you recommend then, that can atleast run some graphical games on decent FPS? Only time I could upgrade the CPU is most likely a year after I get the GPU or somewhere around that.

To explain better, I meant the GPU, I'm not really even hoping to upgrade my CPU any time soon.

Edited by SapphireCrystal

What GPU do you have now? Maybe there's no point in the upgrade.

But honestly, If I were you I wouldn't buy any new card, I'd look for used cards like HD6850, etc.

74cXSsx.png

Alright then, I can see why you want to upgrade :p

The issue with new cards is that the cheapest one worth recommending is R7-250X: https://www.varle.lt/vaizdo-plokstes/vga-pcie16-r7-250x-1gb-gddr5r7-250x-1gd5-msi.html- it's not much cheaper than GTX750 though, and it's still quite a bit for an overkill for your Athlon. However, if you insist on buying a new card rather than second-hand one, this is what I'd go for.

Cheaper new cards have atrocious price to performance ratio.

Edited by yojo2

74cXSsx.png

SapphireCrystal

Okay, so then thats what I'll get. Another thing I wanted to ask are these metal "brackets" on the back of the case. The card I have now is like this: DVI, HDMI, VGA

However, the card you listed above looks "kinda" different even tho the more I look at it the more it looks the same, my question is, is it possible that the card won't fit because of the size?

That shouldn't be an issue, but what I'd check is if you have sufficient space in your case to so the new card will physically fit.

Edited by yojo2

74cXSsx.png

SapphireCrystal

Alright thanks a lot, may I PM you if I have more questions?

Also, I noticed that there was no higher PSU requirement, so is it a must to get the PSU to get the card running or nope?

Also GTX750 looks like it gets way better performance. so isn't it worth it paying a bit more for that performance increase?

What's the exact brand and model of your current PSU?

Edited by yojo2

74cXSsx.png

Could you do a photo of the sticker? Google seems to return no results about this PSU.

74cXSsx.png

SapphireCrystal

I can't take a picture at the moment but this is pretty much excatly the same, just that it's 350w (has a sticker on the outer part of the case where the fan is, so above that that says 250w so not sure which one to believe) and that it's not made by Codegen.

https://www.varle.lt/static/uploads/products/4/cod/codegen-power-supply-atx-psu-350w-v203_1.jpg

Yes, for a card to work properly you need to plug in power connectors (most commonly 6pin). This Chieftec has a 6+2pin connector, so you don't need any adapters.

74cXSsx.png

SapphireCrystal

Nevermind. So basically I'm going to get https://www.varle.lt/vaizdo-plokstes/vga-pcie16-r7-250x-1gb-gddr5r7-250x-1gd5-msi.htmlfor the video card and https://www.varle.lt/maitinimo-blokai/chieftec-gpa-psu-400w-12cm-atx-80plus.html for the PSU. Thanks a lot mate.

Chieftec are a bit crap AFAIK. If you're going cheap then someone like Be Quiet! might be a better shout?

Untitled-1.jpg
P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

SapphireCrystal

Chieftec are a bit crap AFAIK. If you're going cheap then someone like Be Quiet! might be a better shout?

I don't know really, I'll check out all the options. I'm thinking not even getting the PSU since people report running fine on 350w and getting a bit more ram instead to upgrade the crappy 2 gigs I have now.

Chieftec GPA is a solid budget option, for the price you can't really complain. Definitely way better than any Codegen :p

IMHO upgrading the PSU should be your priority. You'd be fine if you had a proper 350W PSU, but not a Codegen...

74cXSsx.png