3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

I will buy a guitar, but I need some help

Platypus Chairlines

Platypus Chairlines

Hi, I'm planning buy a guitar and I have some questions. I'd like to get replies from people who have high experience about it if possible, since I'm looking for better advices. I don't know how to play, so I'm going to learn. That's why I'm asking.

By the way, I'm not concerned about being an musician, just curious. I want to learn it as soon as possible and play :)

1) First of all, what is the difference between acoustic, bass and electro guitar? Which genres use electro and which ones use bass? Which kind of bands (I mean genre) use acoustic?
2) Which of them is the easiest to learn? Acoustic, bass or electro guitar?
3) I like Rock & Metal music, especially harder genres. As a beginner, should I buy an electro, bass or an acoustic guitar? Which would be better for me as a beginner?
4) Which brands should I consider to buy?
5) And finally, how much time does it take to learn it completely and play fluently?

Thanks!

Alright, you could probably have asked in the guitar topic, but I understand the need for a separate thread in order to concentrate the topic of conversation to the questions at hand.

1: Acoustic guitars are focused on acoustic resonance(you guessed it), and will often have no option to amplify. If it does, you'll need a DI-box or a specialized amplifier designed for acoustic guitars (or a good amp with an acoustic setting). An acoustic guitar is appropriate for any genre if used correctly, but this requires a lot of work.

Bass guitar is like a regular guitar, except only the 4 'deepest' strings and then an octave below the tuning of the guitar. A bass is typically less eminent as it often provides the root note for the chords that are being played. Because of its low range, it's often regarded as an unsuitable solo instrument in non-jazz settings, although The Who's John Entwistle challenged that idea.

An electric guitar is just what its name implies. An electric guitar will more often than not require amplification, unless it is a carved-top hollowbody, although those are regarded as unsuitable for anything but Jazz or Blues(and the subgenres thereof). An electric guitar is the most versatile of the 3, and if it is a solid-body bolt-on, it will not be very fragile, unlike some acoustics.

2: Electric guitars are the easiest to play on for beginners. Electric guitars have much more 'thin' strings in general (although I use thick strings on my jazz guitar) than acoustics, and basses have VERY thick strings.

3: It depends. If you have access to and can use an amplifier, go for electric. An electric guitar suits your style. An acoustic guitar will be simpler to work with, as it doesn't require amplification to be resonant/loud.

4: Epiphone is pretty good for both beginners and professionals. Ibanez is in my opinion the most one can get for his money. Excellent quality and workmanship, great sound, great playability and feel. Ibanez and Epiphone are pretty much equal in price range, so it's mostly up to personal preference.

5: Depends on how you work on it. I've been playing for almost 9 years but only worked on it intensely for the last 3. If you practice a lot and practice right, it'll take a few years to be a versatile guitarist, but for rock you can make it work pretty well in just a year.

I study guitar. If there is anything else I can answer, go ahead and ask here or in the guitar topic.

Edited by Marwin Moody
  • Like 3

L71cGcK.png

Good advice from MM there. He has covered it pretty well.

Nothing to add to 1.

2/3.

My advice for a beginner would be to start with an acoustic. Reasons being,

• It's a bit harder to play, but when you switch to an electric (and you will if you stick at it) you will find the electric guitar easier and more fun to play.
  • Its cheaper and you dont need a amplifier.
  • Its easier on the ears of the rest of the house. You family will thank you.
  • It is better for learning fundamentals. Finger placements, chords, strum patterns. Larger fretboard.

If you buy an acoustic and are still into it after 6-12 months, by all means go electric. If you are a rock guy, its a must.

For electric guitars. Epi and Ibanez are great value. You get a lot for your money with them. Also consider Fender Squire. The Classic Vibe series in particular is really good quality. For acoustic, something under $100 would be fine for starting. Nothing wrong with used equipment too.

Depends, you should expect to be reasonably competent within about 6 months with plenty of practice. Might help to get a lesson once every few weeks. Learn the notes and the basics of chords (and bar chords). If you have friends that play, thats cool too. It helps you stay motivated.

Also dont forget, chicks love guys who play guitar. So stick with it.

edit:

I realised I recommended starting on acoustic, and then listed just electric guitars as suggestions.... :blink:

Dont know what your location is, but I just had a quick look on guitarcenter.com. There are Epiphone acoustics at under $100, and some used Washburn and Fenders that look nice in the $70-$99 range. All good brands. Yamaha and Takamine are OK too, and should be found dirt-cheap used.

Edited by Zyo
  • Like 3

resevil2008

Hi, I'm planning buy a guitar and I have some questions. I'd like to get replies from people who have high experience about it if possible, since I'm looking for better advices. I don't know how to play, so I'm going to learn. That's why I'm asking.

By the way, I'm not concerned about being an musician, just curious. I want to learn it as soon as possible and play :)

1) First of all, what is the difference between acoustic, bass and electro guitar? Which genres use electro and which ones use bass? Which kind of bands (I mean genre) use acoustic?

2) Which of them is the easiest to learn? Acoustic, bass or electro guitar?

3) I like Rock & Metal music, especially harder genres. As a beginner, should I buy an electro, bass or an acoustic guitar? Which would be better for me as a beginner?

4) Which brands should I consider to buy?

5) And finally, how much time does it take to learn it completely and play fluently?

Thanks!

1) Acoustic: you get all the chicks by playing easy chords. Bass: you get no chicks at all. Electric: depending on what you play you get more chicks or less.

2) Bass

3) Electric

4) Buy Ibanez, maybe PRS for extra chicks

5) Depends on what you want to play fluently, there's always room for improvement

Bass is not the "easiest". Broader necks, larger fret scale length, and thicker strings make it difficult for a beginner.

Edited by Marwin Moody

L71cGcK.png

Harder to wrap your hand around as a beginner (to put it bluntly).

But not hard to play, unless you get into technical stuff like slapping ect, and thats not too hard.

Not recommended for beginners, most bass players move over from guitar.

Q- Whats the easiest job in the world?

A- Bass player in Status Quo

• Like 2

I'm so sick and tired of amateurs writing off bass as being easier than a guitar. Only if you're a sh*tty bassist =)

Edited by Marwin Moody
  • Like 2

L71cGcK.png

Mister Pink

Guys, we can't be seen to be promoting duplicate topics. Like MM mentioned, there is the guitar topic. I know there's great discussion in here but I'm locking it and you guys can continue over here.

http://gtaforums.com/topic/267797-the-new-guitar-topic/

• Like 2