3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Virtual Reality

lastmanonearth

lastmanonearth

I`m getting so fed up with some of the trash we`re discussing on this forum that I`m near my wit`s end. Hence I want to start a new topic about something completely new.

How do you feel about the next GTA possibly being optimized for devices like Oculus Rift and such VR platforms? In other words, let`s say it`s on the PS4, XBONE and PC and whichever device you`re using, the main way to play is by putting some clunky visor with wires on your head and having to turn your head around 360* to see the environment. The detail would have to be top notch 1080P and the framerate AT LEAST 60 FPS AT ALL TIMES, so may not work on the current generation of consoles (PS4/ XBONE.) Still, I`m sure it`s coming at some point for a future GTA.

To me, this would be like the future and extremely cool, although I can see how old school gamers might have difficulty adjusting, myself included. That`s why you should still be able to play in 3rd and 1st person modes on your screen, but the main mode would be the VR first person mode. Any thoughts on how that would work / sit with you? I`m really intrigued and expect all AAA games get to the point where that`s the main method of playing. But moving your head around as often as GTA requires you to would lead to extremely sore necks, I reckon!

Holy sh*t, It`d feel just like being there!

Edited by bored_killed

universetwisters

Reminds me of a comic I saw a while ago:

c7c2c1e77a57021a7dcff74ae6dbfe66.jpg

Plus, virtual reality consoles gotta be expensive as f*ck. Plus, being GTA, I can imagine the game would come with some prop steering wheel so you can feel like you're actually driving, prop gun so you can feel like you're shooting an investment banker in the forehead, etc. And even then, for a game that's as plot driven as GTA is (or at least claims to be in this day and age), it'd be hard to make up a character for a VR game that isn't yourself, seeing as you yourself is playing the game.

• Like 2

The Dedito Gae

How do you feel about the next GTA possibly being optimized for devices like Oculus Rift and such VR platforms?

no thanks, when i come home from work i want to sit and play, don't want to do wii motions and sh*t, besides those things are really expensive.

• Like 3

lastmanonearth

How do you feel about the next GTA possibly being optimized for devices like Oculus Rift and such VR platforms?

no thanks, when i come home from work i want to sit and play, don't want to do wii motions and sh*t, besides those things are really expensive.

I totally get that so I`m not saying that it HAS to be played in VR, but that it can be played like that. Like I said, you can always go switching between 1st and 3rd person on your screen.

As for the cartoon, GTA is late to the party when it comes to first person violence, and it`s actually one of the less gory games out there. Most first person games are unbelievably dark and horrific. There`s Dead Island and whatnot, so I think that point`s a bit overstated. I still feel that this will be the natural progression of (not just GTA) games, however long it takes, after the gradual move from 3rd to 1st person.

But women, look at it like this! If it`s actually you playing instead of some character, then GTA will TRULY have the first female protagonist! And who`s gonna make you happier as the protagonist than yourself. LOL

Edited by bored_killed

The Dedito Gae

But women, look at it like this! If it`s actually you playing instead of some character, then GTA will TRULY have the first female protagonist! And who`s gonna make you happier as the protagonist than yourself. LOL

my god, what a little bitch you are, you gonna cry all over the forum because someone has a different opinion than yours?

either way, i'll find embarrasing to play videogames using a helmet, is nerdy enough as it is.

• Like 1

lastmanonearth

my god, what a little bitch you are, you gonna cry all over the forum because someone has a different opinion than yours?

either way, i'll find embarrasing to play videogames using a helmet, is nerdy enough as it is.

Look at the cat calling the kettle black! You misandrist females sure know how to make me laugh. I did kinda bring this female character crap up in this thread as well, against my better judgement. So it`s on me, I guess. haha

As for the helmets being a nuisance, I`m sure that`ll be resolved in some way or another by the time a capable GTA actually comes out, in a decade`s time or so.

Edited by bored_killed

Aaanyway.

You're a bit off with the performance required for VR - 90FPS is generally regarded as the minimum, and 1080p isn't high enough for consumer VR; these two alone show that an intensive game such as GTA isn't going to be console-VR friendly for quite a while, since the current console struggle to throw out [email protected] on lesser intensive games, never mind GTA. Although Sony's Project Morpheus seems to be aimed at bringing VR to PS4, right now VR is firmly in PC territory only, though there's no telling how things will play out in the future.

Although in terms of input it's simpler than you're suggesting - you can still turn with a controller just fine, and people don't tend to look around a huge amount. It's basically just playing normally, except you have a VR headset strapped to yo face.

Still, the gameplay of GTA would benefit greatly from VR; Half-Life 2 is a popular choice for VR, showing that FPS works just fine, and VR is especially suited for driving vehicles since you'll be sitting down, which greatly improves the sense of presence (the feeling that you're in the game, i.e. the main goal of VR). Hell, there's a FP mod for IV and, yes, a VR mod, and it's quite the game to play like that; however, it suffers from IV's poor optimisation hampering play, and the involuntary camera movements (which is a big no-no for VR). In a future GTA? Safe to say if it was pulled off well, it'd be one hell of an experience.

gwZr6Zc.png

American Viking

I like to sit on my couch, prop my feat up, and shoot sh*t, hence why I've never owned a Wii. I'd rather just go outside.

Niko Montana

It would be really expensive and IMO it would take away from the fun of the game. But bored_killed I've seen a lot of your posts around the forum and you need to accept the fact that others may have different opinions to yours.

Edited by thedriver111
  • Like 1

Grand Theft Auto V( R ) on PC

a PC mod

Grand Theft Auto VI with VR will happen

Edited by emiliumium

• 1 year later...
Femme Fatale

I wonder what made him think he's the last man on earth.

Edited by Achlys
  • Like 1