3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

"No regrets!"? Get Real!

S0lo

NTK8wBr.png

I know, i know, the first rule of being a Rockstar is to never ever ever regret anything you have done. After all, isn't everything you do part of the art? And isn't having regrets about as unsexy as tighty whities and AD&D parties? Well, yes.

But, no. Let's face it; None of us are Rockstars. And even more, none of us have to be. The existence as a Rockstar is ultimately a very lonely, sad and self-destructive one, turning entire lives in to plays, in to spectacles for a faithless and faceless public that celebrates someone today, only to rip their lives to shreds tomorrow. That isn't really an existence a sane person would aspire.

Being the common people we are, having regrets isn't only allowed, it is a sign of maturity, of personal growth and of further inner development. Only by regretting our shortcomings and errors we gain the will to learn from them and to become better versions of ourselves. It is important in this context to mention that regret doesn't need to have anything to do with self-loathing or feelings of guilt or inadequacy. The positive regret i speak about is aimed towards creating a better future, not a worse past. It is not acting on initial feelings of regret, and repressing them, that leads to such negative mutations of the initial sentiment.

As for myself, i got lots of regrets, small ones, bigger ones, healthy and unhealthy ones, but the more i deal with them, the less the unhealthy ones become, and the smaller the big ones grow. Here are a few examples out of many more;

-One big, yet healthy regret is that i never really got to spend time with my father while he was still alive. What's healthy, even healing about it, is that it leads me to connect with my father's side of my family, so i can learn about my dad through their memories of him.

-Another major regret is that i never managed to get higher education. One positive aspect of this is that i try to learn as much as i can by myself, by researching whatever interests me, and thus amass a wealth of knowledge outside of the academic system. A future positive outcome might be that i erase the need for that regret completely, by finding a way to gain such education after all.

-A small regret i have is that i spent too much of my childhood and youth in front of the telly. But it leads to me almost completely having banned tv from my life today, a fact from which i benefit on so many levels: additional free time, better physical fitness, less confusion due to trash information without any nutritional value, and and and...

So, here's my question for this thread, and it's as simple as it is substantial:

What are your regrets?

I regret not staying in as good touch with my old friends as i could have. I regret letting anger control so much of my life.

I regret throwing those soda's in those poor people's faces....

My whole life so far... Okay, just joking.

I do regret the entirety of the past two years, though. Aside from some great people I met, it was an unspeakably sh*tty period.

hornedturtle

I regret nothing.....apart from deleting my photos from the member photo thingy...ok i don't regret that.

I do regret the entirety of the past two years, though. Aside from some great people I met, it was an unspeakably sh*tty period.

Nothing positive came from the past 2 years at all? Lessons learned, trials and tribulations passed?

EphemeralStar

I regret nothing. I dont live in the past.

• Like 3

69KznXU.png

I ragret, not buying a 50L bin for my kitchen. I was swaying between the 30L and the 50L for ages in the shop, then eventually I decided to be a tight arse and buy the cheaper 30L one. Now after 4 1/2 years of having to take the f*cking rubbish out EVERY day rather than every 2 days, I really wish I wasn't such a cheapskate and had stumped up the extra cash.

Time spent taking out rubbish is wasted time and what is time, but the most valuable commodity we have?

I regret riding my bike down that f*cking hill almost 10 years ago.

fMNTnvL.png

I regret all the fights I walked away from in school.

F*ckers got off lightly.

Nothing positive came from the past 2 years at all? Lessons learned, trials and tribulations passed?

Well, yes, you're right about that. I guess I did learn something :p

• Like 2

a20characterusername

I regret picking up turkey instead of chicken at the market today. Turns out I already had some turkey in the fridge and now I just feel silly.

I also regret posting this without checking my horrendous typing first.

Edited by a20characterusername
  • Like 3

Spaghetti Cat

Congrats on the Milestone :cookie::cookie::cookie:

No Image Available

Congrats on the Milestone :cookie::cookie::cookie:

Shhhhh-Hahaha-Nice.1357671098-van-michou

I was wanting to wait another 22 posts. This wasn't supposed to be a Milestone thread, i'm genuinely interested in people's regrets, as i believe it allows for a sometimes profound insight in to people's characters.

I regret what I don't do when having the opportunity. It doesn't seem important at the time and I'd rather just do other things or play it safe.

I regret what I don't do when having the opportunity. It doesn't seem important at the time and I'd rather just do other things or play it safe.

I think this is a truly great philosophy to have, don't regret what you've done, regret what you didn't do and I think that will make you more aware of the choices you make in the future.

Thompson.png

I regret searching "Blue Waffle" in Google.

I regret searching "Red pancake" in Google

Reformed Squid

I regret joining this site.

• Like 1

make total destroy

My only regret....is that I have...boneitis.

Edited by make total destroy

yqwcbDf.png

PhillBellic

I don't have any. What I did in the past, remains in the past.

I had this 2 week trial job with a small electrical company a few years ago. They had a total of 4 employees and a couple vans. I still regret a few moments in those 2 weeks where a lack of concentration or my own laziness reflected poorly on me. I didn't get a call back after those 2 weeks.

Now they're huge and I see thier vans all over town with thier company logo printed on the side as a constant reminder of what could've been. About 10 of thier employees - none of which I recognized came in to my cafe for coffees a few weeks ago. If only I hadn't been such a f*ckass I might be halfway through my apprentiship by now on my way to a lucrative career as one of the first employees of a powerful company. Ah well.

WbZaxRP.png

I regret blowing off invitations from countless other peers, to go socialize and interact, for videogames when I was younger. Tons of birthday parties, "sleepovers" (for a lack of a better word), playing with the neighbor kids, etc that I've blown off just to press buttons to watch patterns of red, blue and green dots on a screen.

I wouldn't really care that much if I wasn't reminded every day of what could have been. Never having changed schools, I see those same people every day with their groups of friends. Me? I'm just a dude who sits at a lunch table by themself.

As for a character-building process, it has taught me to value my own opinion of myself (in a non-narcassistic way) and not build my self image from what others perceive of me, which really separates me and my dad, as he was a bit of a narcassist a few years back.

Good thread S0lo.

Edited by igotskiz
  • Like 2