3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Somebody hit my car with their door!

LewisMiller

LewisMiller

Hi, just noticed this today I think somebody has hit my car with their door!

No dents, just quite a deep paint chip.

ojBf17b.jpg

Anybody have an idea of how much this will cost to fix?

Dick holes. I have 5 or so dents from people in parking lots.

Assuming the steel is galvanized or the chip doesn't go down to bare metal, you could probably do as suggested by Zyo and just use touch-up paint.

L71cGcK.png

Don't use touch up paint. Never comes out the same colour. One of the mobile touch up places would probably do it for a reasonable price, but unfortunately you'll probably be fighting a losing battle.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Getting it sealed is better than not, even if the color is slightly off. Whatever you do, don't leave it untreated. I would paint it myself, and have done many times. If the car is new the paint might not have faded too much. Its a small enough spot to not be too noticeable. If a mobile touch up job is not a problem then do that. You can get quotes on-line for a lot of places. Don't delay it either.

Edited by Zyo

CrysisAverted

This is why you should take up two parking spaces op

• Like 3

That's not bad at all. I'd be heated for literally the 10 seconds it would take for me to get into my car and start driving off.

LightningLord

I'd rather have a chip than a big key mark all down the side.

Liar liar

What would you rather have? A tiny, little chip that's hard to notice, or a long, bad scratch all over the car?

Edited by LightningLord411
  • Like 2

IcOqQpq.gif

Carlover325

Yeah, parking in two parking spots makes you an instant douchebag. It's just asking for something bad to happen to your car.

• Like 2

Did you park like a dickhole?

If someone parks far too close to my driver door, they get another colour added to their car.

If I'm not driving my car, I just put my foot into their fender or some sh*t.

CrysisAverted

Liar liar

What would you rather have? A tiny, little chip that's hard to notice, or a long, bad scratch all over the car?

Who needs to worry about scratches when you got Fix It Pro

zyzim8Tv-480.jpg

Now chips on the other hand, fix it won't fix that.

Edited by CrysisAverted

Jolly Swagman

What a hero.

Do you want to be a parking inspector when you grow up or something? Why do you fell the need to police strangers parking in instances when it doesnt effect you?

Edited by Jolly Swagman
  • Like 1

Liar liar

What the f*ck sense does that make?

A small chip in the wheel well or a long deep scratch on multiple body panels.

I think you're just an idiot.

• Like 4

What a hero.

Do you want to be a parking inspector when you grow up or something? Why do you fell the need to police strangers parking in instances when it doesnt effect you?

When I cannot open my door, It directly affects me.

Don't park so close to my car next time, That's why the lines exist, to make sure there is adequate room for cars and trucks alike, to avoid situations where doors cannot be opened.

Better yet, don't park like an asshat, and these things won't happen.

Edited by Killerdude8

Jolly Swagman

When I cannot open my door, It directly affects me.

Don't park so close to my car next time, That's why the lines exist, to make sure there is adequate room for cars and trucks alike, to avoid situations where doors cannot be opened.

Better yet, don't park like an asshat, and these things won't happen.

"if I'm not driving my car, I just put my foot into their fender or some sh*t"

If youre not driving how on earth is someones parking directly effecting you?

Deliberately vandalizing someones car by kicking in their fender when youre not even driving just because you dont like their parking is a lot different to accidentally hitting a car with your door because its parked too close to otherwise open.

He probably means if he's a passenger and his door is blocked.

Either way, you're stooping to their level and become just as much, or more of a dick than the "offending" person.

• Like 1

Driving someone else's car.

I've only ever done it twice, if it makes you feel any better.

1st time, some guy in a truck knocks my mirror off parking beside me in a near completely empty parking lot

2nd time somebody trapped me beside a shopping cart corral, climbed in through the hatch.

Haven't encountered any people like that since, which is a good thing, they're sucking less at parking.

• Like 1

It really depends on the situation, and the ones you stated seem fair game to me.

Jolly Swagman

Yeah, Im a dumb c*nt., sorry about that.

I read not driving my car as you'd walked or taken the bus somewhere then were going around kicking cars because they were parked too close to the lines or something. I didnt even consiuder passenger door or someone else's car, that's much more reasonable.

That's why I only park next to expensive cars, they're just as worried as I am about getting dinged or scratched.

• Like 2

eLqskO3.png

LewisMiller

Just to add, I want it done professionally as the cars only 5 months old from new.

@Killerdude8: I can promise you that this does not only happen to bad parkers. When I got my car there wasn't a scratch on it, and while I am not the best parker in terms of needing to make several adjustments, I am a bit anal retentive and have to park perfectly within the space so I know I'm never in the wrong.

However, I have still managed the accrue a large number of dings and scratches in a year and a half. I think the two main factors are: car spaces in this country are too small (especially compared to American ones, you can practically open the door fully in those), and lower cars are easy to overlook out so people are more likely to open the door freely and hit them when they get out.

Also, it's not just that the parking spaces are too small, the aisles between rows of bays are too small leading to less careful people trading paint as they pull into the space.

With regards to deliberately slamming doors into bad parkers, I always give the benefit of the doubt: the person could be in a rush or just having a bad day, knowingly damaging something just seems like a wasteful and unnecessarily destructive thing to do (unless you run a paint touch-up business :lol:).

Edited by epoxi

9H7Sj34.jpg

Don't generalize the parking spots, they aren't all big in the U.S., some people just don't know how to lay out a parking lot, I've been in some that had narrow spaces plus no space between them at all, you basically have to become a liquid and ooze out of your slightly ajar car door.

I think it's wishful thinking.
They feel the need to make the lot accommodate 100,000 cars, even those they only ever have 50 cars in the lot at one time.

There is always a huuuuge empty section at the back of every lot, you'd think they would use that space to make it so their customers can actually park their cars and exit them.

As far as I'm concerned, there should never be a single line separating the spaces, it should be a double line with at least an average human body-width between them.

• Like 2

As far as I'm concerned, there should never be a single line separating the spaces, it should be a double line with at least an average human body-width between them.

This type of parking spot is the best, I've never seen one in the UK though. They probably just don't want to reveal how little space they've actually given each car.

• Like 2

9H7Sj34.jpg

QuackinAColdOne

I remember when my cousin and I were playing as little kids, and after walking out of the store with my mom, we raced to our car, which was a Chevy Cavalier (God I miss that thing so much). Well the race didn't end until we fastened out seatbelts, so my cousin yanked open the door and left a huge paint chip in both cars, causing my mom to flip sh*t.

• 2 weeks later...

half the time its kids that just swing there doors open.

or inconsiderate passengers.