2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Los Santos feels too "clean"

NumaYay

Hey folks. Hope you get what I mean with this topic since I am not a native English guy.

In my opinion Los Santos is too clean, it seems to me they polished the city, the buildings, the streets, etc just for the sake of looking good, bright and colourful in a video game. Of course the game is set in a sunny, sunkissed place, but Los Santos itself should be more "polluted", especially in the ghettos and more populated areas with much traffic. Some garbage on the street, dust und smoke from cars, smog, a "heat-effect" (blurred distance) on sunny days and so on, to create some realistic atmosphere.

Overall the city feels very "clear", so "clean", extremely staged and unrealistic, to me at least. I understand that some places - especially the rich high-society city parts - should actually look like that, but not the whole city of Los Santos.

Hope you get what I mean. The city feels more like a film set than an actual city.

Edited by NumaYay

Do you talk about GTA V? I dont think so.. :)

As far as I know we already have all of this in game.

• Like 4

MosesTransports

Everything you mentioned above was introduced with the next generation versions.

Every different area of the map feels distinct enough.

The atmosphere of the game is now better than ever, especially at night, following the graphical improvements they did along with the heist update.

Remember the feeling of Online looking different, somewhat inferior to the singleplayer?

Besides the animals, they're now identical.

Edited by MosesTransports
  • Like 2

I agree. There's a lot of detail, but everything is too clean, even the run-down areas and "hobo hangouts." I have a theory: whenever you're not playing, it rains in the game world and cleans everything up.

(And hey, OP, don't worry, your English is better than some native speakers I've seen here :) )

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean.

I like to think of it as a design feature: it helps reinforce the idea of how fake and superficial real life Los Angeles is.

That's how I justify it to myself anyways, lol.

Edward Nashton

I live in L.A and let me tell you, certain areas in the game are damn near brick-by-brick recreations, it's uncanny. L.A isn't as dirty as you think, the game does a decent job with the litter and garbage it has and the smog in the game is actually a little exaggerated. Ghetto areas in L.A like south central and Compton don't look the way out of towners imagine either, Franklin's neighborhood is pretty accurate to a typical south L.A block, certain areas in Highland park look like Baghdad, though, but they didn't include that area in the game.

Edited by Edward Nashton

Official General

In my opinion, for some reason Los Santos in SA felt more like LA to me than in V, I don't know why.

• Like 2

GourangaMaster

I live in L.A and let me tell you, certain areas in the game are damn near brick-by-brick recreations, it's uncanny. L.A isn't as dirty as you think, the game does a decent job with the litter and garbage it has and the smog in the game is actually a little exaggerated. Ghetto areas in L.A like south central and Compton don't look the way out of towners imagine either, Franklin's neighborhood is pretty accurate to a typical south L.A block, certain areas in Highland park look like Baghdad, though, but they didn't include that area in the game.

Well there you go, straight from the horses mouth. I've noticed a good majority of those that go on about los santos accuracy and feel being off are not even from LA or have only seen it from the movies and TV. Every person i have heard that actually lives in so cal have said frequently that Los santos is extremely close to its real life counterpart.

Edited by GourangaMaster
  • Like 2

CarnageRacing00

I love how people who have never even been to LA think they know how it actually is.

That is word for word exactly what I was going to say.

We've had this discussion before, and one user by the name of Sting4s actually told someone who LIVES in LA that he (Sting) knows more about how LA feels than the guy who lives there because Sting has done research on Google for an upcoming trip.

I mean, that really happened.

• Like 5

Official General

I love how people who have never even been to LA think they know how it actually is.

If you're referring to me, I've never said anything like that. I've never been to LA, I only know what I've seen in the movies and other media. However I can't explain fully and I don't know why, but SA's Los Santos just gave me the LA feel more than V's Los Santos did. I don't have to go to LA or be from there to have that opinion. Of course I could be wrong, but then again I've never once said I was accurate or right either.

Edited by Official General

CarnageRacing00

If you're referring to me, I've never said anything like that. I've never been to LA, I only know what I've seen in the movies and other media. However I can't explain fully and I don't know why, but SA's Los Santos just gave me the LA feel more than V's Los Santos did. I don't have to go to LA or be from there to have that opinion. Of course I could be wrong, but then again I've never once said I was accurate or right either.

Don't know about you, but my main association with LA was 90's action movies, the perception of 90s era gang life, and that kinda stuff. San Andreas being set smack dab in the height of all those things is probably what makes it feel more like LA to you - it's the depiction of the LA you've seen the most, whereas V's Los Santos is the modern version you see on all the TV shows set there these days.

• Like 3

I was actually just referring to the OP. And I'll tell you why I think you feel that way, its because in film LA always has that warm and "orange" color palette and vibe. I'm assuming you played SA on PS2 since this is the case with just that version.

But V does have a different vibe, it's not entirely cinematic outside of the missions, more like cheap reality TV to me.

Edited by BisP
  • Like 1

The next gen version has a lot more dirt and Sandy Shores certainly looks grimy and dirty. When I go to California this summer I will compare real life to a game. So far I trust the guy who actually is from LA.

OP, it's "clean" by design.

Interview with Rockstar, they wanted to move away from the gritty "real" feeling of GTA IV and make GTA V colourful and superficial. Design choice and I do believe they've nailed it.

• Like 2

The Dedito Gae

OP, it's "clean" by design.

Interview with Rockstar, they wanted to move away from the gritty "real" feeling of GTA IV and make GTA V colourful and superficial. Design choice and I do believe they've nailed it.

that's a shame, cities shouldn't had a preset setting, Los Angeles can be gritty too, same with New York being sunny.
  • Like 3

I was actually just referring to the OP. And I'll tell you why I think you feel that way, its because in film LA always has that warm and "orange" color palette and vibe. I'm assuming you played SA on PS2 since this is the case with just that version.

wFHZCakh.jpg

I miss the orange color of Los Santos at dusk...

• Like 3

AzelfandQuilava

Personally I think it takes up too much of the map, but that's another story....

lastmanonearth

Overall the city feels very "clear", so "clean", extremely staged and unrealistic, to me at least. I understand that some places - especially the rich high-society city parts - should actually look like that, but not the whole city of Los Santos.

Hope you get what I mean. The city feels more like a film set than an actual city.

That`s Hollywood for ya! Even the people are made of plastic and their heads are in la la land.

King Vercetti

In my opinion, for some reason Los Santos in SA felt more like LA to me than in V, I don't know why.

You know how I feel about GTA V, but I have to agree with you on this. LS doesn't feel like Los Angeles at all. I love Los Santos, but it feels very sterile and plastic. Maybe that's what they were going for, I don't know.

• Like 1

Official General

Don't know about you, but my main association with LA was 90's action movies, the perception of 90s era gang life, and that kinda stuff. San Andreas being set smack dab in the height of all those things is probably what makes it feel more like LA to you - it's the depiction of the LA you've seen the most, whereas V's Los Santos is the modern version you see on all the TV shows set there these days.

@ Michigan

You're right, you pretty much nailed it. After reading your comment, I thought, "yep, that's the reason". How you described LA in relation to LS in San Andreas is exactly how I would picture LA to be in a video game. LS just didn't project that for me in V. Indeed, LS in V does feel like a set of a modern reality TV show set somewhere in some wealth LA suburb, like the Kardashians or some bullsh*t like that. Whereas, LS in SA feels like the same city you saw in classic, but modern crime action movies, or movies about hood and gangs. I preferred the SA feel personally.

@ BisP

I got you, I was only expressing my response just in case you were referring to me. But it's all good bro.

You know how I feel about GTA V, but I have to agree with you on this. LS doesn't feel like Los Angeles at all. I love Los Santos, but it feels very sterile and plastic. Maybe that's what they were going for, I don't know.

I totally agree. I mean don't get me wrong LS in V looks beautiful and many parts indeed to mirror LA closely - but it just don't quite feel like LA for me. I think I can identify some of the reasons why :

* Layout - Should have been much better designed. It should have been more widely spread out and sprawling like LA is in real life. It felt too clumped closely together, and LA is not like that at all. Too much of LS's nice parts were placed in the hills. The downtown/central area and ghettos were in the middle on lower ground - it's totally surrounded in nothing but hilly, luxury neighborhoods. LS in V hardly had any middle class/working class districts. LS as small as it was in SA, was still much spread out for what it was, and it it still had a wider variety of districts.

* Hispanic presence not strong enough - I can't believe V barely featured Hispanic gangs and Hispanic culture strong enough in a game set in a location closely based on LA. LA and Southern California are de facto extensions of Mexico itself. East LA is well-known for being a large working class and ghetto district with a huge Hispanic population and a strong Hispanic cultural and gang presence - East LS was basically just a strip of industrial areas, with very few residential areas, and only every now and then you would see Hispanic gang members hanging on street corners. Very rarely saw any sign of a big Hispanic presence in East LS in V.

* Not enough grittyness - Already explained by others on here earlier, and I will agree. It needed some areas to be very gritty and grimey for variation, but it felt all too clean and polished.

Edited by Official General
  • Like 3

PhillBellic

I felt that Los Santos (V) didn't capture the vibe of LA at all. The chief reason was that it lacked Suburban Sprawl.

I see people still believe that LA is stuck in its 90's era, gotta love this forum.

Edited by Krysalis

Edward Nashton

@ Midnight

You're right, you pretty much nailed it. After reading your comment, I thought, "yep, that's the reason". How you described LA in relation to LS in San Andreas is exactly how I would picture LA to be in a video game. LS just didn't project that for me in V. Indeed, LS in V does feel like a set of a modern reality TV show set somewhere in some wealth LA suburb, like the Kardashians or some bullsh*t like that. Whereas, LS in SA feels like the same city you saw in classic, but modern crime action movies, or movies about hood and gangs. I preferred the SA feel personally.

@ BisP

I got you, I was only expressing my response just in case you were referring to me. But it's all good bro.

I totally agree. I mean don't get me wrong LS in V looks beautiful and many parts indeed to mirror LA closely - but it just don't quite feel like LA for me. I think I can identify some of the reasons why :

* Layout - Should have been much better designed. It should have been more widely spread out and sprawling like LA is in real life. It felt too clumped closely together, and LA is not like that at all. Too much of LS's nice parts were placed in the hills. The downtown/central area and ghettos were in the middle on lower ground - it's totally surrounded in nothing but hilly, luxury neighborhoods. LS in V hardly had any middle class/working class districts. LS as small as it was in SA, was still much spread out for what it was, and it it still had a wider variety of districts.

* Hispanic presence not strong enough - I can't believe V barely featured Hispanic gangs and Hispanic culture strong enough in a game set in a location closely based on LA. LA and Southern California are de facto extensions of Mexico itself. East LA is well-known for being a large working class and ghetto district with a huge Hispanic population and a strong Hispanic cultural and gang presence - East LS was basically just a strip of industrial areas, with very few residential areas, and only every now and then you would see Hispanic gang members hanging on street corners. Very rarely saw any sign of a big Hispanic presence in East LS in V.

* Not enough grittyness - Already explained by others on here earlier, and I will agree. It needed some areas to be very gritty and grimey for variation, but it felt all too clean and polished.

Again, most of the rough areas in L.A don't look the way you'd imagine, East L.S, where Lester lives, is also pretty accurate to real life - the fact that they had the nerdy white guy live there drives home the reality that East LA/LS isn't what it was in the 90's, same goes for Echo/Mirror park, once a gang infested area now a suburban hipster paradise. I don't know what you mean about the hispanic presence, it's stronger than it was in any GTA, they're just not all stereotypical vatos speaking in heavy street slang. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but from what I'm reading, you seem to want another GTA set in the height of the gangbanger era and you kind of resent GTA V for not being that - Hell, some of the in game dialog between Franklin and Lamar touch upon this subject.

Edited by Edward Nashton

The Dedito Gae

you seem to want another GTA set in the height of the gangbanger era and you kind of resent GTA V for not being that - Hell, some of in game dialog between Franklin and Lamar touch upon this subject.

i take gangbangers over COD/FIB bullsh*t...
  • Like 3

They fixed it on the current gen version, and they will possibly make it even better on PC.

But GTA Online is missing props that SP has. I hope that this is fixed. To list an example, the empty space to the left of the garage door of Eclipse Towers (when your facing the building). In SP there are benches along the building, along with poles on the corners. Those are not present Online.